ADVERTISEMENT

Who Was the Last College Player

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
to be developed into NBA potential, IYO? Not someone coming to the college game as a pit stop that everyone expects to go pro.

Willie Cauley Stein comes to mind for me. Stayed through his junior year, wasn't a force to be reckoned with on the court early on, but stayed with Cal, worked on his game and has a decent NBA career going. He's not going to be an all-star, but already makes more than all of us combined.

cauleysteinshirt.jpg

I assume we are just listing guys from our school who we fool ourselves into thinking weren't potential NBA guys but developed into them by the hard work and dedication of our beloved coaches. In truth, it is almost all about the player. I'll play though I guess.

danny_green.jpg

Green was ok early on and a contributor late but it was clearly Roy's tutelage that made him into what he is today.

jordanheadline.jpg

Dude didn't even make his high school team.

to be developed into NBA potential, IYO? Not someone coming to the college game as a pit stop that everyone expects to go pro.

Willie Cauley Stein comes to mind for me. Stayed through his junior year, wasn't a force to be reckoned with on the court early on, but stayed with Cal, worked on his game and has a decent NBA career going. He's not going to be an all-star, but already makes more than all of us combined.

cauleysteinshirt.jpg
Did you just get out of jail, rehab, or purgatory? I've missed your posts.

Hunter from Virginia. Bennett redshirted him. I guess he knows what he's doing up there.

That's a solid option. Hunter was not very happy with the redshirt at first either. I feel like that's a huge miss on the recruiting rankings more than anything else. When watching Hunter's tape, I was shocked he was ranked as low as he was.

That's a solid option. Hunter was not very happy with the redshirt at first either. I feel like that's a huge miss on the recruiting rankings more than anything else. When watching Hunter's tape, I was shocked he was ranked as low as he was.

Hunter’s the real deal. I think he’ll be a all star more than a few times. Nobody impressed me more through the year and he’ll be a bargain in the draft regardless of where he’s drafted.

Reactions: jhmossy
Home cooking answer.

Josh Hart
Ryan Arcidiacono
Mikal Bridges
Donte Divencenzo

I think people expected Brunson and Spellman.

Reactions: JBGOAT and jhmossy
Home cooking answer.

Josh Hart
Ryan Arcidiacono
Mikal Bridges
Donte Divencenzo

I think people expected Brunson and Spellman.

Good choices. Damn Bridges was raw coming out of HS. His development was impressive.

Yes, the red shirt really helped him too. Got stronger and continually worked on his shot. Freak of nature length so a really good defender.

Miles Plumlee was a great one for Duke. Ranked in the 80s in high school, and has played seven years in the league. Lance Thomas is another one.

Somewhat related to this thread and was surprised to read it. But the Toronto Raptors this year have "0" lottery picks on their roster. Kawhi being the 15th pick in 2011 is the highest drafted player on their roster.

The Texas Tech of the NBA. I would have said the UVA of the NBA but they're not winning the championship.

Reactions: Dattier
Anyone who was a top ~100 player isn't a good answer imo. WCS is a great example of someone who had a ton of potential who was rated lower for various reasons and took 3 years to fully develop in college.

The Texas Tech of the NBA. I would have said the UVA of the NBA but they're not winning the championship.
I thought the Raptors have no chance either , but I agree with something Colin Cowherd said today and expound upon it. This series kinda has a Miami v Dallas in 2011 vibe about it. Very good defensive team that can slow it down with a clear cut go to guy. Plus I have a feeling this is the kinda series where having Demarcus Cousins was going to be most beneficial. Not having him at full strength and only being able to play 15-20 MPG isn't gonna be enough. I also don't feel like Durant is coming back either , think will know on him if he comes back at all after game 2. If this series is Curry , Klay , Iggy and Draymond as the guys it's going to be a really competitive series and will go 7 games. Toronto is gonna slow it and grind it down every game as much as they can. Kawhi not having to worry about Durant gives him the opportunity to focus on the offensive load more as well.

Victor Oladipo, OG as two of the latest homer pick IU guys. I could see Juwan Morgan crafting out a work hard niche role. I don't think Vic or OG we're rated in the top 200. Vic was developed, OG was just majorly under the radar.

Michigan players this decade ranked outside the top 50 but the NBA.

Darius Morris
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Trey Burke
Nick Stauskas
Caris Levert
DJ Wilson
Duncan Robinson.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Anyone who was a top ~100 player isn't a good answer imo. WCS is a great example of someone who had a ton of potential who was rated lower for various reasons and took 3 years to fully develop in college.

He was rated 9th at center and 40th overall. KU fans didn't want WCS lol. Cal never saw him play basketball, but offered after he saw Willie play football. He didn't get the exposure that a lot of HS players get.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Then WCS isn't a great example...

He was rated 9th at center and 40th overall. KU fans didn't want WCS lol. Cal never saw him play basketball, but offered after he saw Willie play football. He didn't get the exposure that a lot of HS players get.
He's ended up being quite the artist. On and off the court.

Come on now.So you're using success as a negative? WCS was shit on by every UK hater for years. "OMG he's staying 3 years, he's too raw, he'll never develop". Revinsist history is fun.Both angles.

nvm. its all good. Calipari has a lot of success stories with lower ranked recruits. I guess that's why he's in the HOF.

324i2p.jpg

any snl fans?

...He said no one in the top 100 is a good answer......then said WCS is a great example when..........https://247sports.com/Player/Willie-Cauley-Stein-12697/high-school-10242/ he was the #43 recruit in the country...simply pointing out that those 2 sentences together make 0 sense.......why you type 3 paragraphs for something so simple even pointed out by junkie......

...He said no one in the top 100 is a good answer......then said WCS is a great example when..........https://247sports.com/Player/Willie-Cauley-Stein-12697/high-school-10242/ he was the #43 recruit in the country...simply pointing out that those 2 sentences together make 0 sense.......why you type 3 paragraphs for something so simple even pointed out by junkie......
Did I really type 3 paragraphs before the edit? my bad, I wasn't aware. Thanks for correcting me and him. You're doing a great job sir. Keep up the lord's work.

.- -. -.-- / - .... --- ..- --. .... - ... / --- -. / ..- .-.. / --- .-. / -... .- ... -.- . - -... .- .-.. .-.. / .. -. / --. . -. . .-. .- .-.. ..--..

Last edited:
Did I really type 3 paragraphs before the edit? my bad, I wasn't aware. Thanks for correcting me and him. You're doing a great job sir. Keep up the lord's work.

.- -. -.-- / - .... --- ..- --. .... - ... / --- -. / ..- .-.. / --- .-. / -... .- ... -.- . - -... .- .-.. .-.. / .. -. / --. . -. . .-. .- .-.. ..--..

....................................he said no top 100...Then said WCS was a great example. WCS was #43........That makes no sense.....how's that a great example...when he just said.......yeah never mind. Defying his own logic...........

....................................he said no top 100...Then said WCS was a great example. WCS was #43........That makes no sense.....how's that a great example...when he just said.......yeah never mind. Defying his own logic...........
you're repeating yourself.

I'm slow, tell me one more time if you don't mind. What's the issue?

cauleysteinshirt.jpg

Duncan Robinson.

Started as a Div III player. Got a scholarship to Michigan.

Signed as an undrafted free agent with Miami. Was signed from G league in his rookie year to the Heat and started games.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT