ADVERTISEMENT

what schools have the best all time 3 man teams?

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Heard this discussion briefly on college sports radio this morning.

If you could put together a 3 man team with any player in your school's history, who would you choose?

LSU would be pretty stacked with a lineup of Shaq, Pistol and Chris Jackson.

DePaul would also be pretty stacked with Mikan, Aguirre and Rocket Rod Strickland.

Let's get some options and then figure out who the top 20 teams would be.

Depends if we're talking college only or if their NBA legacy is being included. Sticking purely to college and trying to have a rounded out team....

Tony Delk
Jamal Mashburn
Anthony Davis

I respect that. How come Redick over Hurley?
Laettner scores and defends down low. Battier takes care of the defense while being respected on offense. Redick is an absolute threat from deep which takes the defense out of the paint. I think PGs become expendable when you are playing 3 on 3.

Reactions: tw3301
Although it feels like I have been waiting on this to go order for months, I swear the season is still going on.

Reactions: GE Nole
Grant Hill, Zion, Laettner

for a non-traditional power I think Houston would have a compelling case:
Clyde Drexler, Elvin Hayes, Akeem Olajuwon

Reactions: KisteK and RipThru
Pearl Washington, Carmelo, Derrick Coleman.

Wouldn't be great behind the arc but wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Magic
Respert
Valentine (may be unpopular but the dude averaged 19/7/7)

Magic Johnson
Steve Smith
Draymond Green

All Olympians. Shawn Respert gets an honorable mention. Dude would have been a beast but cancer is a real asshole.

Jordan, Worthy, Carter
Wallace, Stack, Ford
Jamison, Tyler, Lawson

There's more I can add if I give it some thought.

UCLA could choose from quite a few people. But I think a trio of Russell Westbrook, Reggie Miller, and Lew Alcindor would be pretty tough to beat. You've got a dynamic play-maker, one of the best shooters of all-time, and arguably the best big of all-time.

What about Zion over Battier?

Or how about Laettner, Zion and Grant Hill. Hill can run the point, that would be a pretty tough lineup.

I wouldn't pick Zion over Shane. Battier is one of the greatest defenders in college basketball history, and also a clutch scorer and player. Guy was absolute money. Only player Coach K let take over the huddles. Love Zion, but...

Reactions: sgrooms
UCLA could choose from quite a few people. But I think a trio of Russell Westbrook, Reggie Miller, and Lew Alcindor would be pretty tough to beat. You've got a dynamic play-maker, one of the best shooters of all-time, and arguably the best big of all-time.

Westbrook is an odd choice unless you are going strictly on pro careers. As far as college career, he probably doesn't even rank in the top 10 all time UCLA guards.

UCLA and UNC run away with this, IMO.

Do they though? If we are talking how these guys did as pros, Houston (Dream, Hayes, Glyde) matches up with anyone. If we are talking just college performance LSU (Shaq, Pistol, CJack) are as good as anyone I would think.

Do they though? If we are talking how these guys did as pros, Houston (Dream, Hayes, Glyde) matches up with anyone. If we are talking just college performance LSU (Shaq, Pistol, CJack) are as good as anyone I would think.
I'd take:

Jordan, Worthy and Stackhouse/Carter
Kareem, Reggie Miller, Russel Westbrook

over either of those teams. Not as big of a margin as initially thought though.

For the record: I'm looking at overall career (college and professional)

Reactions: brooky03
I'd take:

Jordan, Worthy and Stackhouse/Carter
Kareem, Reggie Miller, Russel Westbrook

over either of those teams. Not as big of a margin as initially thought though.

For the record: I'm looking at overall career (college and professional)

using college and pro probably eliminates LSU from the discussion, but strengthens the case for Houston.

Hakeem/Hayes vs Worthy/StackhouseCarter could be a pretty rough matchup for UNC. They're gonna get killed in the post. MJ > Clyde obviously, but not nearly to the extent that Houston has the advantage up front.

Westbrook is an odd choice unless you are going strictly on pro careers. As far as college career, he probably doesn't even rank in the top 10 all time UCLA guards.

I'm still having difficulty with this topic, I suppose. I guess I was thinking about it in a 3-on-3 setting. Or is meant to choose your 3 best college players of all-time? In a three-on-three game, I think Westbrook would do really, really well since it would be very hard to contain him with all that open space. But I agree, he wasn't an all-time great Bruin. Arron Afflalo, Kevin Love, and Darren Collison, a few of his teammates, all played much better than RW in college. But, I think he would do really well in a 3-on-3 game.

Also, I might consider including Bob Pettit on LSU's team. Either way, they would be a tough out.

I'm still having difficulty with this topic, I suppose. I guess I was thinking about it in a 3-on-3 setting. Or is meant to choose your 3 best college players of all-time? In a three-on-three game, I think Westbrook would do really, really well since it would be very hard to contain him with all that open space. But I agree, he wasn't an all-time great Bruin. Arron Afflalo, Kevin Love, and Darren Collison, a few of his teammates, all played much better than RW in college. But, I think he would do really well in a 3-on-3 game.

Also, I might consider including Bob Pettit on LSU's team. Either way, they would be a tough out.

yea the topic should've been more clear. Are we talking college and pro or just college, is it 3v3 half court, etc. My bad, I'll do better with my next hypothetical topic.

James Worthy
Michael Jordan
Sam Perkins
Same team and 1982 National Champions

How about three guys who never went to college?

Kobe
Lebron
Garnett

Baron Davis before the knee injury?

ADVERTISEMENT