ADVERTISEMENT

What level of experience will your team bring into next year?

All Time:
From Bleacher Report:
After taking home the 2012 NCAA National Championship trophy, the Kentucky Wildcats are yet again the kings of college basketball. It had been 14 seasons since the school won its previous championship, but head coach John Calipari has put the Wildcats back on top of the basketball mountain, and he does not appear to be changing that trend anytime soon.

However, this 2012 championship is not the only reason why Kentucky is college basketball's greatest program. Over the course of the sport's grand history, no other team has achieved more on-court success than the University of Kentucky.

The Wildcats are the leaders or near the lead in nearly every major category of team success, including wins, championships, Final Four appearances, NCAA Tournament success and even fan attendance. The following pages will use statistical and factual reasoning to determine why the University of Kentucky Wildcats are the single greatest program in college basketball history.

Past 10 years:
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...onnecticut-syracuse/ud5cdhg65jil188rxwhx8lrle

It ain't easy being right all the time.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Says who, Big Blue Nation? I dispute the claim that UK is the greatest basketball program of all time. Its either UCLA or Duke, depending on whether you value the life cycle of CBB from a historical standpoint despite the lack of a 3 point line, different rules and a smaller NCAAT field or whether you think CBB should only be measured from 1985-1986 forward when the NCAAT expanded to 64 teams and the 3 point line came into existence.

Titles are all that matter bud for cementing a program's reputation, you don't get participation trophies for making Final 4s or having the most tournament wins.

UCLA has the most titles of all time and Duke has the most titles in the modern era.

Don't hate on Coach K and John Wooden because they're GOATs who accomplished more in their tenure as HCs than nearly all other CBB programs have in their entire existence.
I can find you a number of different articles from multiple sources saying that UK is objectively and logically the best of all time. Big Blue Nation has nothing to do with it. Blah blah blah time frame blah blah. Please show me any expert opinion on Duke being the best of all time. You won't find one, but go for it. Duke has no claim. Kentucky and UCLA and MAYBE UNC. Not Duke.

Reactions: JC for 3
Saying UK isn't the greatest program of all time makes me a hater? I just think most UK fans on this board have a higher opinion of their team and program than the rest of the board does.

That's why every thread on here turns into a UK shitfest. You don't see us ragging on Nova or Gonzaga fans becase they don't pump up their program endlessly.

You're more grounded than most UK fans Jimbo, I"ll give you that.
You have a hard time being objecting about UK and Duke, yes. I won't say I'm not a homer sometimes because we all are, but I can look at rivals or opposing schools more objectively than you can.

It is a different conversation about modern era. You won’t find any Kentucky fans claiming we have been better than Duke or UNC in that time frame.

It is a different conversation about modern era. You won’t find any Kentucky fans claiming we have been better than Duke or UNC in that time frame.
I like the Baracus argument that says Kansas has been better than Kentucky in the modern era as well.

I like the Baracus argument that says Kansas has been better than Kentucky in the modern era as well.
me too. my favorite part is "modern era".

Modern era is so important to some. They hang on to it like it's validatiing.

could you imagine going thru life saying. I've been really great since this era works for me.,

Reactions: JC for 3
I can find you a number of different articles from multiple sources saying that UK is objectively and logically the best of all time. Big Blue Nation has nothing to do with it. Blah blah blah time frame blah blah. Please show me any expert opinion on Duke being the best of all time. You won't find one, but go for it. Duke has no claim. Kentucky and UCLA and MAYBE UNC. Not Duke.
Duke has no claim to best basketball program of all time but neither does UK.

UCLA has the most titles/historical success, UNC has the most Final 4s, Kansas has the most conference titles and Duke has the best success/most titles in the modern era (since 1985-1986 with 64 team NCAAT).

UK's claim to fame is probably its breadth of success throughout different eras and having the most tournament wins but those aren't quite as distinguishing of factors as the above accomplishments.

All Time:
From Bleacher Report:
After taking home the 2012 NCAA National Championship trophy, the Kentucky Wildcats are yet again the kings of college basketball. It had been 14 seasons since the school won its previous championship, but head coach John Calipari has put the Wildcats back on top of the basketball mountain, and he does not appear to be changing that trend anytime soon.

However, this 2012 championship is not the only reason why Kentucky is college basketball's greatest program. Over the course of the sport's grand history, no other team has achieved more on-court success than the University of Kentucky.

The Wildcats are the leaders or near the lead in nearly every major category of team success, including wins, championships, Final Four appearances, NCAA Tournament success and even fan attendance. The following pages will use statistical and factual reasoning to determine why the University of Kentucky Wildcats are the single greatest program in college basketball history.

Past 10 years:
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...onnecticut-syracuse/ud5cdhg65jil188rxwhx8lrle

It ain't easy being right all the time.
UK has only 1 national title, has a NIT appearance and hasn't even been a top 5 program in the past five years.

It hasn't been the top dog in the Cal era, sorry JC.

Duke has no claim to best basketball program of all time but neither does UK.

UCLA has the most titles/historical success, UNC has the most Final 4s, Kansas has the most conference titles and Duke has the best success/most titles in the modern era (since 1985-1986 with 64 team NCAAT).

UK's claim to fame is probably its breadth of success throughout different eras and having the most tournament wins but those aren't quite as distinguishing of factors as the above accomplishments.
I will listen to expert opinions and majority polls over your input on the GOAT. This is a laughable post.

UK has only 1 national title, has a NIT appearance and hasn't even been a top 5 program in the past five years.

It hasn't been the top dog in the Cal era, sorry JC.
  • Most wins
  • Most Final Fours
  • Most Elite 8's
  • Most Sweet 16's
….all in the Cal era. Aren't you dookies supposed to be smart? You're clearly not.

You're going to quote random click bait articles to prove your point? FanSided seriously? Good for them.

The program with the most titles is considered the best in any sport, its a simple as that. Historically that's UCLA.

If you want to discount the NCAA tournaments where only team from each conference could be invited and start from 1976, fine then UNC is the best program.

If you want to measure the sport from when the tournament expanded to its current 64 team format and the 3 point line was added a year later then 1985 is your starting point so Duke would be the best program.

You're going to quote random click bait articles to prove your point? FanSided seriously? Good for them.

The program with the most titles is considered the best in any sport, its a simple as that. Historically that's UCLA.

If you want to discount the NCAA tournaments where only team from each conference could be invited and start from 1976, fine then UNC is the best program.

If you want to measure the sport from when the tournament expanded to its current 64 team format and the 3 point line was added a year later then 1985 is your starting point so Duke would be the best program.
Hilarious. Just admit you're wrong and we can move on. No one believes any of this except you.

• Most wins
  • Most Final Fours
  • Most Elite 8's
  • Most Sweet 16's
….all in the Cal era. Aren't you dookies supposed to be smart? You're clearly not.
LOL Elite 8s and Sweet 16s? Should we add in random stats like most nonconference wins too? RollLaughRollLaugh

UK only has 1 title this past decade JC, I hope your Elite 8 appearances make you feel better at night. I know I personally don't care if Duke had lost to UCF in the 2nd Round instead of MSU in the Elite 8 last year because we didn't win a title. That's all Duke fans care about.

I guess UK fans are celebrating Sweet 16 appearances these days. Guess you got to take what you can get after being gifted a cakewalk bracket and then still losing to KSU in the Sweet 16 in Catlanta. Laughing

Hilarious. Just admit you're wrong and we can move on. No one believes any of this except you.
Wrong about what? That UCLA has more national titles than UK?

I'm not wrong about that.

LOL Elite 8s and Sweet 16s? Should we add in random stats like most nonconference wins too? RollLaughRollLaugh

UK only has 1 title this past decade JC, I hope your Elite 8 appearances make you feel better at night. I know I personally don't care if Duke had lost to UCF in the 2nd Round instead of MSU in the Elite 8 last year because we didn't win a title. That's all Duke fans care about.

I guess UK fans are celebrating Sweet 16 appearances these days. Guess you got to take what you can get after being gifted a cakewalk bracket and then still losing to KSU in the Sweet 16 in Catlanta. Laughing

….apparently the concept of overall success eludes you. If Titles is the only factor for you, UK is better than dook, UNC, KU, etc.
Read the articles by the Associated Press or The Sporting News. Pretty sure those will spell it out for you.

I rarely come to this board, and after flipping through this thread I’m reminded exactly why I don’t.

Worse then a group of 4 year old girls....

That's not our debate. No one shares your opinion on GOAT. Everyone, biased or not, shares mine. That means nothing to you?
My issue is you're using random blogs as your source for opinions. The writers of those articles are just amateur sports fans for the most part like you and I. Their opinions don't really hold any weight in our debate.

If you had a consensus based on the opinions of respected coaches, sports writers and talking heads, then sure I'd be happy to change my mind on UK.

Do you not think titles are by far the most important measure of a program and of professional athletes?

MJ is the GOAT basketball player because he has 6 rings and he was clearly the best player on his team.

Brady is the GOAT football player because he has 6 rings and he was clearly the most valuable player on this team.

I'd argue there isn't a clear consensus in CBB since the sports hasn't operated with the same format and rules for the duration of its existence but if you had to pick one, it would be UCLA.

….apparently the concept of overall success eludes you. If Titles is the only factor for you, UK is better than dook, UNC, KU, etc.
Read the articles by the Associated Press or The Sporting News. Pretty sure those will spell it out for you.
Overall success is number of titles, don't get it twisted. Yes, UK is better than Duke for all of the history of college basketball if you care about that.

I won't debate that. UCLA is better than UK though.

My issue is you're using random blogs as your source for opinions. The writers of those articles are just amateur sports fans for the most part like you and I. Their opinions don't really hold any weight in our debate.

If you had a consensus based on the opinions of respected coaches, sports writers and talking heads, then sure I'd be happy to change my mind on UK.

Do you not think titles are by far the most important measure of a program and of professional athletes?

MJ is the GOAT basketball player because he has 6 rings and he was clearly the best player on his team.

Brady is the GOAT football player because he has 6 rings and he was clearly the most valuable player on this team.

I'd argue there isn't a clear consensus in CBB since the sports hasn't operated with the same format and rules for the duration of its existence but if you had to pick one, it would be UCLA.
There is a thread pinned at the top of this board, started by a Dukie, filled with stats and numbers. And it shows Kentucky is number one. It isn’t just random blogs and opinions. It’s common sense backed by numbers.

...you're just depressed as a result of being you.

Your comebacks are even more depressing, if possible.

Look. It’ll be ok. You don’t need to shoot up a grocery store because nish said that UCLA’s better all-time. Breathe. It could be worse than living only for Kentucky basketball.

<Snicker>

I rarely come to this board, and after flipping through this thread I’m reminded exactly why I don’t.

Worse then a group of 4 year old girls....

To be fair, JC is a 4 year old girl trapped in a 50 year old man’s body. We humor him out respect for his (her) unfortunate condition.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedR8der4Life
To be fair, JC is a 4 year old girl trapped in a 50 year old man’s body. We humor him out respect for his unfortunate condition.

I look down upon chumps like you and nish. Kinda how UK looks at the fictitious birds and the dorks of Durham.

I look down upon chumps like you and nish. Kinda how UK looks at the fictitious birds and the dorks of Durham.

Derp.

You know why it means so much to you to convince everyone of Kentucky’s awesomeness? Well, aside from horrific personal insecurities, of course. It’s because Kentuckians have absolutely nothing else to be proud of sports-wise.

My team just won the Super Bowl and is primed for a lot more success. My team went to back to back World Series a few years back. Even the local soccer team has won titles recently.

Oh, shit....I stand corrected. How could I overlook appearances in the Belk and TaxSlayer Bowls?

Haha...even KU’s crappy football team won a legit bowl not too long ago.

Derp.

You know why it means so much to you to convince everyone of Kentucky’s awesomeness? Well, aside from horrific personal insecurities, of course. It’s because Kentuckians have absolutely nothing else to be proud of sports-wise.

My team just won the Super Bowl and is primed for a lot more success. My team went to back to back World Series a few years back. Even the local soccer team has won titles recently.

Oh, shit....I stand corrected. How could I overlook appearances in the Belk and TaxSlayer Bowls?

Haha...even KU’s crappy football team won a legit bowl not too long ago.

….and to deflect away from "Kentucky's Awesomeness", you have to delve into other sports.... on a college basketball board.

...Derp.

….and to deflect away from "Kentucky's Awesomeness", you have to delve into other sports.... on a college basketball board.

...Derp.

Who cares? True observation is true. You’ve seen the top of the sports mountain once in the last 20+ years. No wonder it’s still all you talk about 8 years later.Laughing

Who cares? True observation is true. You’ve seen the top of the sports mountain once in the last 20+ years. No wonder it’s still all you talk about 8 years later.Laughing

I've seen it FOUR TIMES in my life w/UK winning the title (under 4 different coaches)...probably before the better part of you was trickling down your mama's leg.

I've seen it FOUR TIMES in my life w/UK winning the title (under 4 different coaches)...probably before the better part of you was trickling down your mama's leg.

Less than 1 per decade, and you probably have no memory of the first.

In a little over a decade, I’ve seen an NCAA title, back to back World Series and a title, a Super Bowl, an MLS title, and an Orange Bowl win.

Again, it’s no wonder that you porch-pissers still talk about 2012 like it was yesterday.Laughing

It really is simple. UK has had success from day one. UCLA...not so much!
Well................................Not really. UK damn near dropped basketball during the early years...From the inception of basketball at UK(1902), till 1911, UK had TWO winning seasons. MOF, UK didn't have a winning season until 1909. The 1912 team might be the most important team in the history of UK basketball. That team probably saved UK basketball....UK was on the verge of dropping basketball. No winning seasons for the first 7 years...Overall record of 15-30. UK then hired its first paid coach. He went 5-4, but then 4-8, and the thought of cancelling basketball came about...BUT then, UK goes 9-0 in 1912, wins the Southern Conference....and well, that was pretty much that. Although the program struggled so to speak through the 1920's.....The foundation was set. 1927 would be UK's last losing season for almost 60 years.

So no, technically, UK hasn't had success from Day1....Winking

Well................................Not really. UK damn near dropped basketball during the early years...From the inception of basketball at UK(1902), till 1911, UK had TWO winning seasons. MOF, UK didn't have a winning season until 1909. The 1912 team might be the most important team in the history of UK basketball. That team probably saved UK basketball....UK was on the verge of dropping basketball. No winning seasons for the first 7 years...Overall record of 15-30. UK then hired its first paid coach. He went 5-4, but then 4-8, and the thought of cancelling basketball came about...BUT then, UK goes 9-0 in 1912, wins the Southern Conference....and well, that was pretty much that. Although the program struggled so to speak through the 1920's.....The foundation was set. 1927 would be UK's last losing season for almost 60 years.

So no, technically, UK hasn't had success from Day1....Winking

Ok I’ll give you that but tell me how many years UCLA has been horrible! They damn near fell outta “blue blood” status and prolly should’ve. Let me rephrase what I said. Throughout the history of college basketball UK has been the most consistent team! I will say I’m impressed that an IU fan would know that kinda history about UK. Tip of the hat!

Ok I’ll give you that but tell me how many years UCLA has been horrible! They damn near fell outta “blue blood” status and prolly should’ve. Let me rephrase what I said. Throughout the history of college basketball UK has been the most consistent team! I will say I’m impressed that an IU fan would know that kinda history about UK. Tip of the hat!

UCLA as of right now has a 12 year drought.
2008-2020
No Final Fours

Kentucky had a 13 year drought between 1998-2011

I don't know what you mean by horrible.
During that 12 year drought they still have 3 Sweet 16 appearances.

UCLA also had a.15 year drought between 1980-1995.

I guess you can say 1980 was the end of their run.
The NCAA finally punished them.

Last 40 years UCLA hasn't been dominant but they have still been respectable

1 NC
4 Final Fours
14 Sweet 16s

Even in a down period UCLA has been in the Sweet 16 a good percentage of the time.
14 out of the 40 years.

Longest drought was 1984-1986 without a NCAA Tournament appearance

Kentucky also had a 3 year drought during the same period.

So you’re saying UCLA has been better than UK over the years?

So you’re saying UCLA has been better than UK over the years?

What is the level of success you are looking for?
Point is Kentucky has had down periods similar to UCLA over the years.

Last 40 years UCLA has been able to at least stay respectable.

Kentucky, UNC and Kansas are different. Those three have won with different coaches.

Duke and UCLA are similar. Both have had one elite coach who took the program to another level.
Without that coach they were both respectable programs.

It would have been different if UCLA hadn't been making runs to the second weekend or going to the Final 4 without John Wooden

They would have been Indiana.

I’m talking across the board! Wins, titles, final 4’s and everything. All kinds of great schools and great traditions but going by everything UK is at the top. Not trying to sound like a homer at all but if you look at everything it’s UK!

Behind probably UNC

The difference between Kentucky and UNC is that you were in a conference that took football serious
So you had automatic entry into the tournament every year. At one time that was Sweet 16.

Final 4 appearances says UNC
NC says UCLA

The rest of the shit isn't important IMO.
Sweet 16 now... Yes but not in the 1960's.

ADVERTISEMENT