ADVERTISEMENT

What do people think about Eric Musselman to Texas?

No one's debating that, but I don't see how anybody can say that Arkansas's been the better program over the last 25 years. Arkansas has finished the season ranked exactly once in over 20 years. They've made the tourney field 6 times in 20 years and their average seed is an 8. They've defined mediocrity.

Regardless, even if Arkansas had been more successful in recent years, Texas is a much better job.

I wasn't really making a stand, one way or the other. Simply agreeing that Arkansas is better on a historical level. I also mentioned that Arkansas hasn't made it to the Sweet 16 since 1996.

There could be pros and cons for each side. Texas has a better brand, is a hotbed for local talent, and is probably more relevant for recruits. Arkansas can probably match the pay of Texas, the cost of living is cheaper, the scrutiny is less on a national level - which often means a longer leash for bad seasons, and they're more invested in basketball than Texas. At least, Texas football is a 100x more important than basketball, whereas the discrepancy isn't that large for basketball. It wouldn't be an obvious decision, should Musselman have that opportunity, IMO.

I think you'll see his name come up for every blue blood gig for the next few years given how in-state recruiting is looking and the current group of freshman. Arkansas will need to pony up a pretty penny here in the off-season and may have to provide an extension pretty quickly thereafter if one of the blue blood teams comes open.

You think the job he did this year has been good...last year Arkansas played with a 6'1" SF & 6'3" PF and still won 20 games with their best player injured for a solid 6 or so games. He's not there now, but he'll be a top 5 coach in the near future.

One thing not being considered is the amount of high school talent Arkansas produces. It's phenomenal.

Texas doesn't stand a chance, would have to be Duke, Ky, UNC or Kansas. Nobody else will have anything to offer Arkansas doesn't and most, including Texas, have a lot less.

My real guess is Muss ends up back in the NBA or sticks it out with Arkansas.

If Calipari bolts, what are your thoughts on Kentucky giving him a look. Obviously they could take him from Arkansas or Texas if they wanted.

Well there are a few I’d rather have over him but it would be hard to complain if that’s who we ended up with. He seems to be a really solid coach.

Reactions: KisteK
Well there are a few I’d rather have over him but it would be hard to complain if that’s who we ended up with. He seems to be a really solid coach.
Again, only if he wanted to be the most hated man in Arkansas. Kentucky would be worse than saxeT(spit), because he would stay in the SEC.

True, but I don't live in Nebraska anymore and my vacation plans aren't Nebraska related other than to get back for a weekend here and there for a football game. I have two trips planned this year; Costa Rica and Maui. Sorry, but Arkansas wasn't on the list. I did spent some time in Hot Springs once. It was fine, but there are a million better places and we are talking Eric Musselman who will be making 5 million a year at Texas. He isn't going to miss Arkansas for a second when he can afford to travel anywhere in the world. Hurting the feelings of some Arkansas fans aren't going to dissuade him from leaving to greener pastures. I'm sure some Nevada fans don't like him now either and he still left them.
Texas is not greener pastures....

Reactions: duckboy33
No one's debating that, but I don't see how anybody can say that Arkansas's been the better program over the last 25 years. Arkansas has finished the season ranked exactly once in over 20 years. They've made the tourney field 6 times in 20 years and their average seed is an 8. They've defined mediocrity.

Regardless, even if Arkansas had been more successful in recent years, Texas is a much better job.
How is texas a "much better job"?? it simply is not...

I don't think history outside of who's in the NBA rn matters much to teenage boys.

Texas is thick with high school talent and there's not a lot of pressure (see Shaka) to win right away.

The KashDoll, I mean Kevin Durant Factor is years away from waning. That Shaka continues to land dudes is a testament to Texas' pull.

All that said, if I were (Mrs?) Muss, I'd stay far away (even just one state) from Texas.
.. tho, I'd be side-stepping dudes who use terms like saxeT (spit)

Last edited:
How is texas a "much better job"?? it simply is not...

They get loads of talent no matter what they do on the court, and there is an abundance of local talent. They'll put up with mediocre results for many years. They have great facilities. And they're in the top 10 in spending. They spend more on their basketball program than KU, UNC, Nova, Mich St, UCLA and Arizona.

Sounds like a pretty damn good job to me. Now what's Arkansas got to offer?

They get loads of talent no matter what they do on the court, and there is an abundance of local talent. They'll put up with mediocre results for many years. They have great facilities. And they're in the top 10 in spending. They spend more on their basketball program than KU, UNC, Nova, Mich St, UCLA and Arizona.

Well Muss signed a Top 5 class this past season with just Arkansas talent. I think he'll be fine.

Not to mention better facilities, better basketball fanbase, etc. If we're talking football, then by all means go to Texas. But Texas doesn't compare to Arkansas if we're talking basketball.

Well Muss signed a Top 5 class this past season with just Arkansas talent. I think he'll be fine.

Not to mention better facilities, better basketball fanbase, etc. If we're talking football, then by all means go to Texas. But Texas doesn't compare to Arkansas if we're talking basketball.

There are midmajors that have been miles better than Arkansas over the last 25 years. And believe it or not, recruits don't give a damn about what happened 25+ years ago. Many probably don't even know that Arkansas won a title.

Saying that Texas doesn't compare is absurd on any level.

Reactions: RedRaiderFan5
I don't think history outside of who's in the NBA rn matters much to teenage boys.

Texas is thick with high school talent and there's not a lot of pressure (see Shaka) to win right away.

The KashDoll, I mean Kevin Durant Factor is years away from waning. That Shaka continues to land dudes is a testament to Texas' pull.

All that said, if I were (Mrs?) Muss, I'd stay far away (even just one state) from Texas.
.. tho, I'd be side-stepping dudes who use terms like saxeT (spit)
Texas is still a dirty word in Arkansas.

Even with the mediocrity of the Shaka years, I highly doubt that the average recruit considers Arkansas the better brand.

Even if they were they better program right now, I’m not sure how they’d be considered the better job. Texas is surrounded by talent and they get a lot of it no matter how much success they have. Practically every player they sign is top 50, while Arkansas rarely snags one.
You make the case for Arkansas. Surrounded by talent and yet can't do anything. either football or basketball.

You make the case for Arkansas. Surrounded by talent and yet can't do anything. either football or basketball.

We are talking about which is the better job, right? I'm not sure how you think this supports your case.

Talent everywhere that commits no matter what state the program is in? Oh, they've underachieved with said talent, so I get to have great talent and I'm not being measured against a high standard of success? And I'm not likely to be fired even if I drastically underperform for years?

Sounds like a prospective coach's nightmare, huh?

Texas should be a dream job for anyone who can't get a blueblood gig. You have your pick of the litter in a talent-rich state and they spend more than all but a handful of programs. Sleeping giant.

About 30 years ago I had the good fortune of attending 1st/2nd rd games in Indy the set was incredible... 1st game Louisville vs Little Rock the game was intense low scoring Louisville barely won as heavy chalk.

Next game, Loyola Marymount vs Arky... I think Day/Mayberry were FR. Gathers/Kimble were Jrs and Arky ran them out in the 2nd half was a total opposite style than the Louisville game. Those teams under Nolan got after it.

Memories!

Yes, he still lives in NW Arkansas. They named the court in BWA after him. He went to more games when Mike Anderson was coach.

Love hearing this. I really thought Anderson was going to roll in Arky after seeing what he did with UAB, and his ties to the program. I just loved how Nolan Richardson's teams played, he never made excuses if they lost and that 40 min of hell was something.

Love hearing this. I really thought Anderson was going to roll in Arky after seeing what he did with UAB, and his ties to the program. I just loved how Nolan Richardson's teams played, he never made excuses if they lost and that 40 min of hell was something.
The NCAA rules finally caught up to Arkansas’ full court press. Touch fouls became a major issue. No one wanted CMA to work out more than me.

Reactions: fleckabelly
Texas doesn't stand a chance, would have to be Duke, Ky, UNC or Kansas. Nobody else will have anything to offer Arkansas doesn't and most, including Texas, have a lot less.

My real guess is Muss ends up back in the NBA or sticks it out with Arkansas.
This. People think all coaches will leave if there’s a better offer. Most coaches these days won’t unless they have ties. In the 70s and 80s, certain schools could offer a lot more money. That doesn’t exist anymore. Matt Campbell has been offered by great schools and he’s staying at Iowa state.

I don’t see him leaving outside of the NBA. That has nothing to do with a comparison between any school.

Muss could be Duke’s next head coach if Brad Stevens doesn’t come here first after having a mutual parting of ways with the Celtics.

Love everything about the Muss Bus, he’s too good of a coach to stay in an irrelevant program in an irrelevant state.

What? When did they part ways???

He is predicting Stevens is on his way out of Boston since Boston has massively underachieved this year. Overall he has done a good job, but they were supposed to be a title contender this year and Boston is fighting just to make the playoffs.

The NCAA rules finally caught up to Arkansas’ full court press. Touch fouls became a major issue. No one wanted CMA to work out more than me.

Naaah he just swung and missed time after time with big time recruits. Was still very competitive in the league but had some game changers get away. Specifically Reggie Perry, would probably still be at Arkansas if Perry hadnt of flipped

We are talking about which is the better job, right? I'm not sure how you think this supports your case.

Talent everywhere that commits no matter what state the program is in? Oh, they've underachieved with said talent, so I get to have great talent and I'm not being measured against a high standard of success? And I'm not likely to be fired even if I drastically underperform for years?

Sounds like a prospective coach's nightmare, huh?

Texas should be a dream job for anyone who can't get a blueblood gig. You have your pick of the litter in a talent-rich state and they spend more than all but a handful of programs. Sleeping giant.

The pick of the litter in Texas kids is a bit much Id say. Sooooo many studs come out of Texas you can’t take em all but I can think of more than a few that went elsewhere. Kids like fox or Randle that you’d make room for regardless of the returning players or scholly situation. The abundance of talent in Texas has been pretty insane though.

No lie man. That and a tv timeout every five minutes, can’t tire em out like you used to.

Louisville has pressed and ran forever basically, Crum the Pitino. Now with Mack we have fans who don’t like him just bc the style is different/boring to what they are used to.

And I’m like look around, no one presses like that anymore all game. No one. The rule changes made it damn near impossible. We see occasional zone presses like Pitino adapted after the rule, but those will take a turnove if u wanna give it, but they aren’t designed to force turnovers, just slow the offense down a bit from getting in their set. Then we’d drop to the matchup zone and sometimes by the time they had everything figured out they only 10-15 on the shot clock.

Reactions: Lefty8

Literally everything that you just said texas offers. Arkansas always has great basketball talent in the state. The previous staff just couldn't keep them home. I have no idea about how much Arkansas spends, I do know that they have plenty of money to spend...

Literally everything that you just said texas offers. Arkansas always has great basketball talent in the state. The previous staff just couldn't keep them home. I have no idea about how much Arkansas spends, I do know that they have plenty of money to spend...

No....they literally don't. Again, Texas gets loads of talent no matter who their coach is or how successful the program is. Arkansas does not get a lot of talent. A coach is going to have to work for it, whereas at Texas it basically falls into your lap.

Texas also spends a lot more than Arkansas.

And I've never heard from anyone but an Arkansas fan that their in-state talent matches that of Texas.

They aren't comparable jobs. Texas has far more to offer. The only argument for Arkansas is they have a better tradition, but that tradition is 25 years old. In the last 25 years (so beyond the life of those you are recruiting) Texas has been the superior program.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Razorback
Naaah he just swung and missed time after time with big time recruits. Was still very competitive in the league but had some game changers get away. Specifically Reggie Perry, would probably still be at Arkansas if Perry hadnt of flipped
WTF are you talking about? Perry is like 20 years old, you idiot

They aren't comparable jobs. Texas has far more to offer. The only argument for Arkansas is they have a better tradition, but that tradition is 25 years old. In the last 25 years (so beyond the life of those you are recruiting) Texas has been the superior program.

Texas is only superior to Arkansas at one thing, running their oversized, copenhagen soaked, wind cracked cock holsters about how much better they are than (fill in the blank). Their athletic program is complete shit and an embarrassment to the entire state. on second thought, they do waste money better than Arkansas, too

ADVERTISEMENT