ADVERTISEMENT

What do people think about Eric Musselman to Texas?

TheHuskerFreak

Dec 18, 2020
The guy turned around Nevada and in his second year at Arkansas has them rolling. Imagine what he could do in Austin with the resources of the Texas athletic department and the talent in Texas.

Shaka is getting fired either after this year or next. Texas is having a decent year, but this is as good as it gets for him. This was supposed to be his culmination year where he had everything in place, yet they are still struggling to win games in the Big 12. If Shaka can't get it done this season, it won't ever work with Shaka.

Reactions: Rp10va10
The guy turned around Nevada and in his second year at Arkansas has them rolling. Imagine what he could do in Austin with the resources of the Texas athletic department and the talent in Texas.

Shaka is getting fired either after this year or next. Texas is having a decent year, but this is as good as it gets for him. This was supposed to be his culmination year where he had everything in place, yet they are still struggling to win games in the Big 12. If Shaka can't get it done this season, it won't ever work with Shaka.
Um....no.
Seriously, Only if he wants to be the most hated man in Arkansas. Plus Arkansas can match whatever saxeT (spit) can pay.

If Smart didn’t get fired last year, he’s not getting fired this year. We’ll see what happens next season.

Reactions: duckboy33
What’s the fuss? People who know basketball say Shaka is brilliant. Can’t you see it?

Reactions: Montana81
Just because you can’t afford to summer in Little Rock doesn’t mean others won’t still want to.
Grew up in Little Rock and now live in the Mo side of the Ozarks. I prefer my Summers up here on Table Rock and Taneycomo. There’s not a lot to do in Little Rock in the Summer. That’s why everyone goes somewhere else.

Don’t knock the Ozarks, man. More to do here than huckle**** Nebraska.

True, but I don't live in Nebraska anymore and my vacation plans aren't Nebraska related other than to get back for a weekend here and there for a football game. I have two trips planned this year; Costa Rica and Maui. Sorry, but Arkansas wasn't on the list. I did spent some time in Hot Springs once. It was fine, but there are a million better places and we are talking Eric Musselman who will be making 5 million a year at Texas. He isn't going to miss Arkansas for a second when he can afford to travel anywhere in the world. Hurting the feelings of some Arkansas fans aren't going to dissuade him from leaving to greener pastures. I'm sure some Nevada fans don't like him now either and he still left them.

True, but I don't live in Nebraska anymore and my vacation plans aren't Nebraska related other than to get back for a weekend here and there for a football game. I have two trips planned this year; Costa Rica and Maui. Sorry, but Arkansas wasn't on the list. I did spent some time in Hot Springs once. It was fine, but there are a million better places and we are talking Eric Musselman who will be making 5 million a year at Texas. He isn't going to miss Arkansas for a second when he can afford to travel anywhere in the world. Hurting the feelings of some Arkansas fans aren't going to dissuade him from leaving to greener pastures. I'm sure some Nevada fans don't like him now either and he still left them.
Arkansas has deep pockets too and is a more basketball oriented school. How many NCs and Final fours does saxeT(spit) have?

Last edited:
Reactions: duckboy33
Wouldn’t rule it out. However, being in a much easier conference might keep him there.

Arkansas is a better program. I doubt he leaves for Texas

You’re probably trolling Sheriff, but I wouldn’t call Arkansas a better program. Unless you’re talking all-time. Which probably doesn’t matter much to recruits. Many probably don’t even know that they won a title in the 90s.

You’re probably trolling Sheriff, but I wouldn’t call Arkansas a better program. Unless you’re talking all-time. Which probably doesn’t matter much to recruits. Many probably don’t even know that they won a title in the 90s.

They are better all time and have the better team this year. I’d go with Arkansas

They are better all time and have the better team this year. I’d go with Arkansas

Even with the mediocrity of the Shaka years, I highly doubt that the average recruit considers Arkansas the better brand.

Even if they were they better program right now, I’m not sure how they’d be considered the better job. Texas is surrounded by talent and they get a lot of it no matter how much success they have. Practically every player they sign is top 50, while Arkansas rarely snags one.

Even with the mediocrity of the Shaka years, I highly doubt that the average recruit considers Arkansas the better brand.

Even if they were they better program right now, I’m not sure how they’d be considered the better job. Texas is surrounded by talent and they get a lot of it no matter how much success they have. Practically every player they sign is top 50, while Arkansas rarely snags one.

The Shaka years, the Barnes years, etc.

Neither program has had any recent success. That said, Arkansas is better historically and better this year. Texas is way too concerned about their “brand”. They need to concern themselves with winning games

The Shaka years, the Barnes years, etc.

Neither program has had any recent success. That said, Arkansas is better historically and better this year. Texas is way too concerned about their “brand”. They need to concern themselves with winning games

But aren’t we talking about the attractiveness of the job? A job can’t be much more attractive than a school that gets a lot of talent even in periods of mediocrity.

But aren’t we talking about the attractiveness of the job? A job can’t be much more attractive than a school that gets a lot of talent even in periods of mediocrity.

Yes. When I look at attractiveness of a job, I want to go somewhere where I can win big. Arkansas has proved that more than Texas has. Historically and this year

Yes. When I look at attractiveness of a job, I want to go somewhere where I can win big. Arkansas has proved that more than Texas has. Historically and this year

Hasn’t it been like 25 years since Arkansas went past the 2nd round? They don’t even usually make the tourney.

Give me the talent.

Hasn’t it been like 25 years since Arkansas went past the 2nd round? They don’t even usually make the tourney.

Give me the talent.

Not trying to look it up, but when was the last time Texas made the sweet 16, like 2013??

Not trying to look it up, but when was the last time Texas made the sweet 16, like 2013??

It’s been over a decade. But they had a pretty good run before that and they at least consistently make the tourney. 20 tourney wins to 3 over the last two decades. There are probably a lot of midmajors with more than that.

It’s been over a decade. But they had a pretty good run before that and they at least consistently make the tourney. 20 tourney wins to 3 over the last two decades. There are probably a lot of midmajors with more than that.

Yep Arkansas has been a mediocre program for 25 years that has struggled to make the tournament or do anything when they get there. 1996 was the last time they made it to the Sweet Sixteen. Texas was a pretty solid program under Barnes. They made the sweet sixteen several times, had a few elite 8 trips and made the final four in 2003. Texas also had Kevin Durant win national player of the year.

If you ask an 18 year old about which is the better program with the bigger brand, they are going to say Texas.

Don’t know if he’ll go but he would do well in Texas and be the best coach they’ve ever had IMO. Pretty solid coach.

Reactions: KisteK
Arkansas, historically, has been better than saxeT(spit). Everyone forgets that we were in the SWC together. Our overall record against them is 58-43.

Give me the talent.

Recruits don’t remember either program getting past the 2nd round.

Give me the program that has actually won big before

Muss could be Duke’s next head coach if Brad Stevens doesn’t come here first after having a mutual parting of ways with the Celtics.

Love everything about the Muss Bus, he’s too good of a coach to stay in an irrelevant program in an irrelevant state.

Don’t know if he’ll go but he would do well in Texas and be the best coach they’ve ever had IMO. Pretty solid coach.

If Calipari bolts, what are your thoughts on Kentucky giving him a look. Obviously they could take him from Arkansas or Texas if they wanted.

Texas hasn't made the Sweet 16 since 2009, where they lost to Duke in Greensboro. FWIW, Arkansas has a long drought, too. They haven't made it to the second weekend since 1996.

And yes, for those asking, Arkansas is much better, historically. Arkansas has 6 Final Fours and 1 National Title. Texas, by contrast, has 3 Final Fours and 0 National Titles. On my historical table index, I have Arkansas 19th all-time, whereas Texas is 33rd.

Reactions: HawgPound
Texas hasn't made the Sweet 16 since 2009, where they lost to Duke in Greensboro. FWIW, Arkansas has a long drought, too. They haven't made it to the second weekend since 1996.

And yes, for those asking, Arkansas is much better, historically. Arkansas has 6 Final Fours and 1 National Title. Texas, by contrast, has 3 Final Fours and 0 National Titles. On my historical table index, I have Arkansas 19th all-time, whereas Texas is 33rd.

No one's debating that, but I don't see how anybody can say that Arkansas's been the better program over the last 25 years. Arkansas has finished the season ranked exactly once in over 20 years. They've made the tourney field 6 times in 20 years and their average seed is an 8. They've defined mediocrity.

Regardless, even if Arkansas had been more successful in recent years, Texas is a much better job.

ADVERTISEMENT