ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Carter's mom says......

First off, it isn't "free" room and board. They pay for it with their services.

Second, it isn't costing the school a thing; the money comes from the tuitions of other students.

Third, I don't think a paid-for-by-other-students yearly tuition is necessarily an equal exchange for the billions of dollars involved in college athletics.

Not sure WHAT the solution is, but the vast majority of people involved in college sports seem to think there should be SOME sort of compensation beyond what is offered now.
Honest question. Not trolling.

Do you think, despite her being right in the grand scheme of things, she was out of line comparing it to slavery?

Honest question. Not trolling.

Do you think, despite her being right in the grand scheme of things, she was out of line comparing it to slavery?

Yes. Absolutely. Comparing future-millionaire athletes with private chefs and beautiful dorms and personalized trainers to slavery is ridiculous in many ways, and totally undermines her point.

Thank you. This thread had no business making it this far.

The thread really only needed to go further if we wanted to get into discussions of compensation for athletes, revenue sharing, how to compensate athletes in different sports, and all of that other stuff, that is, I think what she was REALLY talking about.

The thread really only needed to go further if we wanted to get into discussions of compensation for athletes, revenue sharing, how to compensate athletes in different sports, and all of that other stuff, that is, I think what she was REALLY talking about.
It has already been a topic of discussion. Nobody needed a mother of a OAD Duke player to bring it to their attention. And nobody needed it to be compared to slavery to raise attention to it. But it is what it is.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
It has already been a topic of discussion. Nobody needed a mother of a OAD Duke player to bring it to their attention. And nobody needed it to be compared to slavery to raise attention to it. But it is what it is.

That's all just your opinion; some people would actually disagree, and say that the mother of a Duke OAD is a GREAT person to push the narrative forward for the sake of the kids involved.

But the point stands; the thread does not need to focus solely on a single sentence of her statement and then die; there is a lot there to be discussed, and given that no solution has been found to the issue of money in the NCAA, I think insisting that the thread should just be about her "slavery" comment and then die is forced.

Yeah, I hear even though black people make up just 13% of the population, they make up 50% of police forces. What about black-on-police-force crime?

It's always about white people. How about the 2 dead black guys who didn't have guns?

"The per capita rate of officers being feloniously killed is 45 times higher than the rate at which unarmed black males are killed by cops. And an officer’s chance of getting killed by a black assailant is 18.5 times higher than the chance of an unarmed black getting killed by a cop." (Heather Mac Donald, editor for the City Journal, wrote this article for the Washington Post).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ce-shootings-and-race/?utm_term=.e73e6ac25852

That's all just your opinion; some people would actually disagree, and say that the mother of a Duke OAD is a GREAT person to push the narrative forward for the sake of the kids involved.

But the point stands; the thread does not need to focus solely on a single sentence of her statement and then die; there is a lot there to be discussed, and given that no solution has been found to the issue of money in the NCAA, I think insisting that the thread should just be about her "slavery" comment and then die is forced.
When there is already a discussion about this, even on this board. There is no need to give her the time of day when she takes a radical stance on it. And of course this is my opinion. Just like it is just your opinion that she is a great person to push the narrative as a mother of a OAD Duke player even though she comes off as an unreasonable person to give credit to.

You answered my question earlier with a solid and reasonable response, now you are giving her a pass for being a race baiter.

When there is already a discussion about this, even on this board. There is no need to give her the time of day when she takes a radical stance on it. And of course this is my opinion. Just like it is just your opinion that she is a great person to push the narrative as a mother of a OAD Duke player even though she comes off as an unreasonable person to give credit to.

You answered my question earlier with a solid and reasonable response, now you are giving her a pass for being a race baiter.

First, I don't think the conversation needs to be about giving her the time of day. Its a much bigger conversation than about a single parents of a single kid. If you want to go after the way she addresses it, sure, go ahead, but I think you need to address the entire thing and not just the attention-grabber line.

I am not giving anyone a pass for being a race baiter. I think she was largely thoughtless in the way that she brought race into it, but I also think she likely sees the entire business of it in a far different light than I do, and from a very different perspective than I do, and she has literally infinitely more experience there than I do, so I am not willing to simply write what she says completely off. That, I think, serves no purpose for ME; for me, it is far more worthwhile to take from her statement what I think the essential aspects are and then discuss THOSE, especially since I don't know Mrs. Carter and will never meet Mrs. Carter and Mrs. Carter has literally zero impact on anything I experience.

First, I don't think the conversation needs to be about giving her the time of day. Its a much bigger conversation than about a single parents of a single kid. If you want to go after the way she addresses it, sure, go ahead, but I think you need to address the entire thing and not just the attention-grabber line.

I am not giving anyone a pass for being a race baiter. I think she was largely thoughtless in the way that she brought race into it, but I also think she likely sees the entire business of it in a far different light than I do, and from a very different perspective than I do, and she has literally infinitely more experience there than I do, so I am not willing to simply write what she says completely off. That, I think, serves no purpose for ME; for me, it is far more worthwhile to take from her statement what I think the essential aspects are and then discuss THOSE, especially since I don't know Mrs. Carter and will never meet Mrs. Carter and Mrs. Carter has literally zero impact on anything I experience.
Not trolling. You're not going to like this. But it would be nice if someone like, say...... Trump got this kind of treatment. We constantly focus on the little mean things that he says and ignore the entire point because of his idiotic comments. Even though he has points.

Reactions: SNU0821
Not trolling. You're not going to like this. But it would be nice if someone like, say...... Trump got this kind of treatment. We constantly focus on the little mean things that he says and ignore the entire point because of his idiotic comments. Even though he has points.

Ehhh... I think there is a HUGE difference between the leeway we give The Leader of the Free World and random sports mom.

Plus, my guess is that, the sheer number of statements Trump makes makes it far, far more difficult. If he had just made fun of a single handicapped journalist, I think it would have been forgotten. If threw one barb at James Comey, I think it would have been forgotten. The problem is he makes crazy statement after crazy statement after crazy statement...

... and they are about IMPORTANT IMPORTANT things. Like... SUPER important. When The Leader of the Free World says "our libel laws are stupid" and says we need to be able to sue the media easier, that has major implications on the First Amendment. When The Leader of the Free World says that the United States Justice Department, THE organization that regulates law enforcement and justice in the United States, is purposefully trying to undermine the government or something and is part of a major conspiracy... thats a BIG, big, big, BIG deal. When the Leader of the Free World says that he has evidence that shows that government investigators have a conflict of interest that hinders their ability to properly carry on a major government investigation, thats a BIG BIG DEAL.

I just don't think there is much legit we can get from a comparison of the two. Sure, sometimes Donald has a decent point that gets overlooked in the flood of stuff he throws out there... but that's about it. Not saying that as an attempt to get out of some discussion; I just think it is comparing apples and iron lungs.

Ehhh... I think there is a HUGE difference between the leeway we give The Leader of the Free World and random sports mom.

Plus, my guess is that, the sheer number of statements Trump makes makes it far, far more difficult. If he had just made fun of a single handicapped journalist, I think it would have been forgotten. If threw one barb at James Comey, I think it would have been forgotten. The problem is he makes crazy statement after crazy statement after crazy statement...

... and they are about IMPORTANT IMPORTANT things. Like... SUPER important. When The Leader of the Free World says "our libel laws are stupid" and says we need to be able to sue the media easier, that has major implications on the First Amendment. When The Leader of the Free World says that the United States Justice Department, THE organization that regulates law enforcement and justice in the United States, is purposefully trying to undermine the government or something and is part of a major conspiracy... thats a BIG, big, big, BIG deal. When the Leader of the Free World says that he has evidence that shows that government investigators have a conflict of interest that hinders their ability to properly carry on a major government investigation, thats a BIG BIG DEAL.

I just don't think there is much legit we can get from a comparison of the two. Sure, sometimes Donald has a decent point that gets overlooked in the flood of stuff he throws out there... but that's about it. Not saying that as an attempt to get out of some discussion; I just think it is comparing apples and iron lungs.
My apologies to the board.

Slaves got food and housing and medical care. I don't see what the big deal was.
tenor.gif

I wasn't intending on going full partisan here. More of a single example, but I probably should have given a single example. So my apologies to the board for sparking that response.

I just don't think there is much legit we can get from a comparison of the two.

There is though. Like when Trump said that the government in Mexico was sending criminals across the border. He said they're not sending us their best. They're sending us their rapists and their murderers. That sent people's heads spinning as if he was calling all Mexicans rapists and murderers. People focused on that instead of the fact that what he said was correct. Just poorly worded. Just like here with Carter, she may be correct, but she used poor judgment with her words.

I wasn't intending on going full partisan here. More of a single example, but I probably should have given a single example. So my apologies to the board for sparking that response.

There is though. Like when Trump said that the government in Mexico was sending criminals across the border. He said they're not sending us their best. They're sending us their rapists and their murderers. That sent people's heads spinning as if he was calling all Mexicans rapists and murderers. People focused on that instead of the fact that what he said was correct. Just poorly worded. Just like here with Carter, she may be correct, but she used poor judgment with her words.

5 paragraph response from TheDude coming.

Reactions: SNU0821 and RipThru

There is though. Like when Trump said that the government in Mexico was sending criminals across the border. He said they're not sending them their best. They're sending us their rapists and their murderers. That sent people's heads spinning as if he was calling all Mexicans rapists and murderers. People focused on that instead of the fact that what he said was correct. Just poorly worded. Just like here with Carter, she may be correct, but she used poor judgment with her words.

First part; ah, okay, I was just trying to give a few examples, so it didn't seem that I was blowing it off with a single thing.

As for the second part... ehhh... the issues is that many people don't think what he said WAS correct. The VAST majority of Mexicans who come across our border are basically regular folks taking a big chance while looking for work. There is no significant, agreed-upon data that shows that immigrants, either legal or illegal, commit more murders or rapes than anyone else, and in fact some research (for example, the findings from the right wing Cato Institute) find that illegal immigrants commit LESS crime. THAT'S what got people upset; that he was using this very broad brush to paint millions of decent folks as rapists and murderers.

So no, I don't think the issue was that "all Mexicans are rapists" unless people really didn't think it through (which happened) but that "all Mexican immigrants are rapists" which is what he said, and which even the IDEA behind it (that the majority of illegal immigrants are dangerous) is false, too... and also playing on the worst fears and sentiments of voters.

First part; ah, okay, I was just trying to give a few examples, so it didn't seem that I was blowing it off with a single thing.

As for the second part... ehhh... the issues is that many people don't think what he said WAS correct. The VAST majority of Mexicans who come across our border are basically regular folks taking a big chance while looking for work. There is no significant, agreed-upon data that shows that immigrants, either legal or illegal, commit more murders or rapes than anyone else, and in fact some research (for example, the findings from the right wing Cato Institute) find that illegal immigrants commit LESS crime. THAT'S what got people upset; that he was using this very broad brush to paint millions of decent folks as rapists and murderers.

So no, I don't think the issue was that "all Mexicans are rapists" unless people really didn't think it through (which happened) but that "all Mexican immigrants are rapists" which is what he said, and which even the IDEA behind it (that the majority of illegal immigrants are dangerous) is false, too... and also playing on the worst fears and sentiments of voters.
In context of what he was talking about at that time. He was speaking about the people who the Mexican government was sending across the border. Not regular Mexicans who were crossing to find a better life. He was right, their government was sending known rapists and murderers across the border to make them our burden.

No, a problem is something bad. A free college education is a gift.
Oh, I thought you were saying free college educations were easy to come by.

You’re right, I’m only half black & I’m very light skinned. If you don’t think racism exist for me, then you’re as dumb as Mrs. Carter. Ive felt the looks from people walking around with a white girl. Even today, I get looks from people walking around with my wife.
The "octaroon rule" from the Jim Crow Era said if you were 1/8 black, you were black. While not as debilitating, that definition largely remains. So you're black.

But how can racism still exist for you when everyone has equal opportunities? I keep hearing here that we're post-racial and black people complaining about racism are just playing the race card.

"The per capita rate of officers being feloniously killed is 45 times higher than the rate at which unarmed black males are killed by cops. And an officer’s chance of getting killed by a black assailant is 18.5 times higher than the chance of an unarmed black getting killed by a cop." (Heather Mac Donald, editor for the City Journal, wrote this article for the Washington Post).
Oh, yeah? Well, let's see what you have to say about THIS:
"The 23 million residents of the US state of Texas emit more carbon dioxide than the entire population of sub-Saharan Africa, which is 720 million people."

Oh, I thought you were saying free college educations were easy to come by.

The "octaroon rule" from the Jim Crow Era said if you were 1/8 black, you were black. While not as debilitating, that definition largely remains. So you're black.

But how can racism still exist for you when everyone has equal opportunities? I keep hearing here that we're post-racial and black people complaining about racism are just playing the race card.
I never said racism didn’t exist. Is it better than it was years ago? Of course it is but it still exist.
This thread is about her comparing going to school & playing sports to slavery.
I’m 100% against athletes getting paid. Going to a school & getting a free education should be enough.

Reactions: duke4life831
Did you feel that way about President Obama?

Big difference between the mother of a basketball and the President of the United States of America. And part of POTUS' job has traditionally had to do with the nation's morale and leading by example with dignity and a diplomacy.

Why not take the time to agree about the idiotic moments rather than not acknowledging them and immediately going into a defense of President Trump? It doesn't compromise your support of him, but it clarifies what you do and don't support about him.

I don't usually respond to these threads because there is no discussion just one side vs the other in a never-ending battle that goes absolutely nowhere but... what does this post have to do with the topic or where the topic has veered to?
As much as @dukedevilz quoted statistic has to do with it, sans any explanation of application.

I never said racism didn’t exist. Is it better than it was years ago? Of course it is but it still exist.
This thread is about her comparing going to school & playing sports to slavery.
I’m 100% against athletes getting paid. Going to a school & getting a free education should be enough.
I keep hearing everyone here acknowledge racism still exists, but there's never an actual example that isn't dismissed as "the race card." When the idea of black people suffering due to racism today is broached here, I'm always told that is fake news because one black guy became President and everyone has the same opportunities if only they would take personal responsibility for everything that happens to them.

I keep hearing everyone here acknowledge racism still exists, but there's never an actual example that isn't dismissed as "the race card." When the idea of black people suffering due to racism today is broached here, I'm always told that is fake news because one black guy became President and everyone has the same opportunities if only they would take personal responsibility for everything that happens to them.
That's because people like you and the MSM pimp out fake racism stories like Mike Brown, Treyvon Martin, Eric Garner, etc., etc., etc....

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/05/im-not-black-im-kanye/559763/

Speaking of race, how hilarious is it to see people openly cry at Kanye for breaking the mold? It's damn funny. Not that I like Kanye or think he's exceptionally smart (because I don't), but it's pure entertainment to see all of the other entertainers or media pundits trying to get him to change his mind or not speak his mind. It's puuuuuuuuuuuuure gold that shows how desperate the left really is. PLUS Trump got a Kanye bump of 11% in the polls.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Did you feel that way about President Obama?

Big difference between the mother of a basketball and the President of the United States of America. And part of POTUS' job has traditionally had to do with the nation's morale and leading by example with dignity and a diplomacy.

Why not take the time to agree about the idiotic moments rather than not acknowledging them and immediately going into a defense of President Trump? It doesn't compromise your support of him, but it clarifies what you do and don't support about him.
I gave an example. I acknowledged that he says idiotic things. I NEVER went to the defense of Trump. I went to the defense of logic. But we. An take this to another thread.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/05/im-not-black-im-kanye/559763/
Speaking of race, how hilarious is it to see people openly cry at Kanye for breaking the mold? It's damn funny. Not that I like Kanye or think he's exceptionally smart (because I don't), but it's pure entertainment to see all of the other entertainers or media pundits trying to get him to change his mind or not speak his mind. It's puuuuuuuuuuuuure gold that shows how desperate the left really is. PLUS Trump got a Kanye bump of 11% in the polls.

The left is in a tizzy over it. God forbid a black man thinks for himself.

That's because people like you and the MSM pimp out fake racism stories like Mike Brown, Treyvon Martin, Eric Garner, etc., etc., etc....
So what is an example of the racism you claim still exists?

Would Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, or Eric Garner have faced the situation leading to their deaths if they had been white? How about Alton Sterling, Philando Castille, Tamir Rice, John Crawford, Renisha McBride, Kouren-Rodney Thomas, Laquon McDonald, Stephon Clark, Oscar Grant, Walter Scott, Jonathon Ferrell, Danny Ray Thomas, Diante Yarber, Amadou Diallo, Terence Crutcher, Samuel DuBose, Akai Gurley?

If you give us a decent example instead of the garbage you usually define as racist we could have a better conversation

Reactions: SNU0821
If you give us a decent example instead of the garbage you usually define as racist we could have a better conversation
I've tried. Every example where I've suggested race played a factor has been dismissed, and hostilely so. That's why I'm asking y'all for an example.

I've tried. Every example where I've suggested race played a factor has been dismissed, and hostilely so. That's why I'm asking y'all for an example.
The thing is, I’m willing to admit cops are more likely to treat a black man unfairly than a white man. Where I struggle in the whole cop debate is libs will never meet me half way. I can admit what some police officers do is out of line and not necessary, can liberals admit that a lot of these isssues would be solved if young black men were taught to respect the police instead of ignore them and disrespect them?

As much as @dukedevilz quoted statistic has to do with it, sans any explanation of application.

BLM and the media in large are producing a false narrative. Are there racist cops? Probably. Do some law enforcement officers unnecessarily profile? Sure. I hate to think of anyone's death as a statistic, because it shouldn't be. Each life should be celebrated - and each homicide, whether they resist arrest or not, is a tragedy. But people need to distinguish racism that is stemming from institutions - and racism that is stemming from individuals. What are the racist laws that are still in place?

With over 300 million Americans and close to 1 million police officers, homicides are bound to happen. There’s almost 3 police-related homicides a day. They follow protocol. Sometimes they do act unnecessarily violent –sometimes they do profile. Sometimes they are trigger-happy. I wonder, though, how critics would handle all of the precarious situations they confronted on a daily basis? It’s a lot easier to break down a situation when you have time to consider all of the possible ramifications. Life and a death for a cop and perpetrator is a split-second thing; something that, unfortunately, almost has to be instinctive. So it sucks that cops do kill people from time to time. But I still fail to see the verity in the BLM narrative, where they somehow target or discriminate against African-Americans. When one ethnic group contributes to 52% of the homicides and a vast majority of the other violent crimes, what do you expect the pattern to be? In the 75 biggest counties, black people are responsible for 62% of robberies, 57% of murders, and 45% of assaults. If every ethnic group committed crime at the same rate, then the number of African-American fatalities at the hands of cops would be very disconcerting. But it's not the same rate. Whites, despite being almost 70 percent of the population, disproportionately commit less of the nation’s violent crime. Blacks, at 13 percent of the population, disproportionately commit more violent crime.

Criminology professor, Peter Moskos, looked at the numbers of those killed by officers from May 2013 to April 2015, and found that 49 percent were white, while 30 percent were black. “Adjusted for the homicide rate,” says Moskos, “whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.” Murders have actually increased by 17% in the biggest 50 cities in the last year. Do you suppose there’s any correlation with the murder rate going up and cops feeling apprehensive about patrolling an area where they’re targets?

The homicide rate sucks no matter what statistic or metric you analyze; I certainly don’t mean to disparage or trivialize any death. But, the statistics I see, shows that there are no real discrepancies which point to concrete, racial bias. I think the bigger issue, is socioeconomic factors. Since the civil rights movement, out of wedlock pregnancy in the African-American community has skyrocketed from 28% to over 70%. 1 out of 2 black moms are single mothers. These families usually don't make enough to afford a decent living and have to go on welfare. Black people make up more than 1/4 of food stamp recipients, but in proportion to white people, they are twice as likely to be put on welfare programs. They grow up in poor neighborhoods, with insufficient school funding, and only 68% of black students even graduate high school. Then, they can't get any decent-paying jobs, because high-paying jobs require a fair amount of education or skills. So the cycle continues, and theft and crime rates go up.

Change the culture. The remedy is a better home life. Did you know the poverty rate for single parent white families is 22%, while it’s only 7% for two-parent black families? Being raised in a two-parent home is a far better privilege than being raised to a certain race or ethnicity.

So what is an example of the racism you claim still exists?

Would Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, or Eric Garner have faced the situation leading to their deaths if they had been white? How about Alton Sterling, Philando Castille, Tamir Rice, John Crawford, Renisha McBride, Kouren-Rodney Thomas, Laquon McDonald, Stephon Clark, Oscar Grant, Walter Scott, Jonathon Ferrell, Danny Ray Thomas, Diante Yarber, Amadou Diallo, Terence Crutcher, Samuel DuBose, Akai Gurley?
Philando Castille is the only one out of that group that should have been avoided. The rest, seem to be overblown fake racist claims.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT