ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Carter's mom says......

Your benefits and time off mean you're well compensated? Wow. I didn't know Tennessee was so progressive.

Benefits are directly a part of any compensation package. Time off means per hour I'm compensated pretty well actually. So yeah, it isn't bad. I think one of us being a smartass is a tell here.

one of the more annoying aspects of modern discourse is extreme exaggeration. everything on twitter is the greatest or worst or most unjust thing anyone has ever seen. trump is hitler. college sports are slavery. it's obviously illogical to compare the experience of a basketball player at duke, in 2018, to slaves from 1840. but reasoned analysis of system that clearly needs adjustment just isn't sexy enough. there are people who think the world is more unfair today than ever before. these people are so divorced from reality they're beyond help. the unfortunate part is social media and the 24 hour news cycle subject us to this nonsense in a never ending loop of stupidity.

Well considering I’m half black, I’m very aware. Getting a free college education isn’t a problem facing black Americans.
Well, half aware, anyway.

Getting a free college education isn't a problem facing black Americans?

Explain to me how it’s like slavery if white people are college athletes too? Free education and housing? Must be racism. The only answer to both those questions. Has to be. Am I doing this right?
lol
You silly! I'm not Wendell Carter's mom!

one of the more annoying aspects of modern discourse is extreme exaggeration.
Hear, hear!

there are people who think the world is more unfair today than ever before. these people are so divorced from reality they're beyond help. the unfortunate part is social media and the 24 hour news cycle subject us to this nonsense in a never ending loop of stupidity.
lol I see what you did there. Good one! I totally fell for it! Laughing

Are you black? That would be the only way this isn't an all out dickhead thing to say. If you are, it's just a halfway dickhead thing to say.
What? Weren't you among the people pointing out President Obama was only half-black and therefore Ben Carson was the authoritative voice of black people everywhere?

But you have the same amount of experience as she does with being a slave. You should be able to comment on it.
You mean tell her how she isn't allowed to feel some way unless I approve it? Man! It sure is good to be a white man!

I don't disageee that players shouldn't profit, but it's not slavery when players and their parents willfully agree to NCAA terms.

Also, I don't buy that race is a factor. It's true that most pro athlete caliber players are black, but anyone who has spent time with bureaucrats or in corporate America knows that the suits have no problem screwing whitey if it's profitable. It's the American way.
This

Is it? Seems like it's never the answer here. I guess we're just lucky, since it still exists and all. We're in like a sort of racism vacuum or something.
I'm amazed you can get out of bed with the demons you carry. I won't even guess how you move around dragging your anchor around with you. It's sad and I mean that.

I'm amazed you can get out of bed with the demons you carry. I won't even guess how you move around dragging your anchor around with you. It's sad and I mean that.

Hating myself as much as Datt hates himself would make life pretty miserable.

Zero relation? So racism is over now? I think I'd love it if society has come to that!

I didn't say that, at all. Of course there is still racism but that doesn't mean EVERYTHING is because of racism.

Let me ask you this, what's in the news more, A black cop shooting a black man because he thought the man had a gun or a white cop shooting a black man because the thought the man had a gun?

It's such a false narrative. The media, "famous" people on twitter, etc take the white cop scenario and blow it out of proportion to where it's on the front page headlines whereas the other scenario is never heard about.

Twitter is a huge, HUGE, problem because so many "famous" people, as in people with a verified, blue check-mark account, tweet stuff that is partially or even completely false and BECAUSE they have a CHECK-MARK beside their name, it blows up and goes viral even though they may have the story completely wrong or failed to mention several key aspects to the story, just to fit the "racism" narrative.

Sounds like you've seen my penis. I'm guessing... Deer Creek, '92?

Reactions: TheDude1
I didn't say that, at all. Of course there is still racism but that doesn't mean EVERYTHING is because of racism.
Exactly! It still exists, but we have no examples. It's like Bigfoot or something.

Let me ask you this, what's in the news more, A black cop shooting a black man because he thought the man had a gun or a white cop shooting a black man because the thought the man had a gun?
Yeah, I hear even though black people make up just 13% of the population, they make up 50% of police forces. What about black-on-police-force crime?

It's such a false narrative. The media, "famous" people on twitter, etc take the white cop scenario and blow it out of proportion to where it's on the front page headlines whereas the other scenario is never heard about.
It's always about white people. How about the 2 dead black guys who didn't have guns?

Who hurt you, Datt?
s-284d5c31d546238669da64e65689a68bc0f8c66e.gif

Well, half aware, anyway.

Getting a free college education isn't a problem facing black Americans?
No, a problem is something bad. A free college education is a gift. I was lucky enough to play D2 baseball. I only received a partial scholarship, my parents paid the rest for me. I was thankful for that opportunity & experience, I never viewed it as slavery.
You’re right, I’m only half black & I’m very light skinned. If you don’t think racism exist for me, then you’re as dumb as Mrs. Carter. Ive felt the looks from people walking around with a white girl. Even today, I get looks from people walking around with my wife.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
No, a problem is something bad. A free college education is a gift. I was lucky enough to play D2 baseball. I only received a partial scholarship, my parents paid the rest for me. I was thankful for that opportunity & experience, I never viewed it as slavery.
You’re right, I’m only half black & I’m very light skinned. If you don’t think racism exist for me, then you’re as dumb as Mrs. Carter. Ive felt the looks from people walking around with a white girl. Even today, I get looks from people walking around with my wife.
They're only half looks though.

This. Friend of mine father was from Ecuador and mother is white from NC. He was born in Ecuador and lived there first 5 years of his life , but moved back to NC with his family when he was 6. Lived in NC until he was 9 went back to Ecuador for 2 years then back to NC for good. So he has dual ctizenship. When he is in the states he is hispanic/latin but when he goes back to Ecuador he is "Blanquito". It doesn't bother him anymore but I know it did when he was younger. Those different stigmas from both sides of his nationalities.

This. Friend of mine father was from Ecuador and mother is white from NC. He was born in Ecuador and lived there first 5 years of his life , but moved back to NC with his family when he was 6. Lived in NC until he was 9 went back to Ecuador for 2 years then back to NC for good. So he has dual ctizenship. When he is in the states he is hispanic/latin but when he goes back to Ecuador he is "Blanquito". It doesn't bother him anymore but I know it did when he was younger. Those different stigmas from both sides of his nationalities.
When my father (black) married my mom (white), his grandfather didnt speak to him for years. He was so mad that his grandson didn’t marry a black woman.

They get free school, room and board.

First off, it isn't "free" room and board. They pay for it with their services.

Second, it isn't costing the school a thing; the money comes from the tuitions of other students.

Third, I don't think a paid-for-by-other-students yearly tuition is necessarily an equal exchange for the billions of dollars involved in college athletics.

Not sure WHAT the solution is, but the vast majority of people involved in college sports seem to think there should be SOME sort of compensation beyond what is offered now.

ADVERTISEMENT