ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas still favors Duke over Kentucky

I agree titles end the conversation but Jimbo is the equivalent to Tickle on moonshiners with the rest of his troll drivel.

Also thats a very large difference in wins the last 33 years
Wins:
UK: 877
KU: 978

Duke by 7 in the Champions
Kansas by 7 @ Rupp to go 3 and 0 in that mighty home court advantage
Aw, hurt your feelings? Poor baby. Kansas fans can be so insecure. I guess when you’re the weakest of the blue bloods that will do it to you. Better hide behind Duke and UConn now like your little friend.

Aw, hurt your feelings? Poor baby. Kansas fans can be so insecure. I guess when you’re the weakest of the blue bloods that will do it to you. Better hide behind Duke and UConn now like your little friend.

Speaking of insecure....is someone a little upset that his sacred team is at best 4th in the modern era?

Reactions: HRTheCard
I agree titles end the conversation but Jimbo is the equivalent to Tickle on moonshiners with the rest of his troll drivel.

Also thats a very large difference in wins the last 33 years
Wins:
UK: 877
KU: 978

Duke by 7 in the Champions
Kansas by 7 @ Rupp to go 3 and 0 in that mighty home court advantage

I and many other UK fans have said for years that Rupp arena doesn't afford this great home court advantage that so many claim. I mean sure we have a few games a year that we get bailed out there but it's not like at Cameron or Phog or a lot of other places where you have to literally be 20 points better to come away with a win.

Kansas got a great whistle in there last time we played. Not saying that's why they won mind you. Or that it was uneven. Just that it was nothing like the 37-12 or w/e when we played at Kansas the year before. (And you guys still needed a miscue from the eventual Cousy award winner and ot to take that one).

But a win is a win and self has owned cal the last 3 years now.

Speaking of insecure....is someone a little upset that his sacred team is at best 4th in the modern era?
Behind Duke and North Carolina no doubt. Definitely not behind Kansas. Stop hiding behind other teams, it’s making you look bad. It’s nice being able to be logical about your own team. You wouldn’t know the feeling. You probably think Kansas is number one all time because they invented basketball. Sad.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Behind Duke and North Carolina no doubt. Definitely not behind Kansas. Stop hiding behind other teams, it’s making you look bad. It’s nice being able to be logical about your own team. You wouldn’t know the feeling. You probably think Kansas is number one all time because they invented basketball. Sad.

101 more wins. More final fours. Almost twice as many league titles. More tourney wins. 4 more tourney appearances (would be 5 but they were ineligible one year).

Yep. Better team of the modern era.

Remember kids...moving the goalposts and disregarding all but national titles means UCLA is the GOAT. And we don't want any of you jumping off a bridge.

101 more wins. More final fours. Almost twice as many league titles. More tourney wins. 4 more tourney appearances (would be 5 but they were ineligible one year).

Remember kids...moving the goalposts and disregarding all but national titles means UCLA is the GOAT. And we don't want any of you jumping off a bridge.
I admire your effort. I really do.

Congrats on having some better choice stats since "insert date here*.

Hell that last line could be my UK fan's signature. Laughing

Reactions: JimboBBN
Would you consider letting people that weren't white play a major rule change?

i have no idea what you are trying to ask
all i stated was the fact that a major rule change in 1987 (the three point line) changed CBB forever and that made the modern era what it is today
if we are going to use a timeline, that should be the timeline, not some arbitrary timeline to fit an agenda
i really could not care less what the color of the peoples skin is that made the rule changes
do you?

No, your team is best known for flaming out against inferior competition in the tournament and choking when it matters most. Did you seriously include four more tournament appearances and act like that’s a big deal in the last thirty years? You’re awful. Just stop. There’s another team you’re hiding behind, UCLA now. Sad. Stop being insecure about Kansas.

Let’s add now many times each team has been upset by a lower seed in the tournament. I’m sure you’d find a way to dance around that one too.

The thing is, I really don’t mind Kansas. Most of the KU posters on here are awesome. You’re making them look pretty bad. You haven’t hid behind UNC yet, I’ll look for that in your next post. I’ll also look for the next time frame you switch to in order to make Kansas not look as awful next to Kentucky.

Last edited:
i have no idea what you are trying to ask
all i stated was the fact that a major rule change in 1987 (the three point line) changed CBB forever and that made the modern era what it is today
if we are going to use a timeline, that should be the timeline, not some arbitrary timeline to fit an agenda
i really could not care less what the color of the peoples skin is that made the rule changes
do you?
I think you're misreading my post, I was asking if you considered letting african american players finally play a major rule change. They weren't allowed to play for a very long time.

Also if you want to use 1987 instead of 1985 as the beginning of the modern era that's fine with me because the best program from 1985 or 1987 until present day remains the same. SmokinSmile

No, your team is best known for flaming out against inferior competition in the tournament and choking when it matters most. Did you seriously include four more tournament appearances and act like that’s a big deal in the last thirty years? You’re awful. Just stop. There’s another team you’re hiding behind, UCLA now. Sad. Stop being insecure about Kansas.

Let’s add now many times each team has been upset by a lower seed in the tournament. I’m sure you’d find a way to dance around that one too.

The thing is, I really don’t mind Kansas. Most of the KU posters on here are awesome. You’re making them look pretty bad. You haven’t hid behind UNC yet, I’ll look for that in your next post. I’ll also look for the next time frame you switch to in order to make Kansas not look as awful next to Kentucky.

Upsets in a single elimination format are better than missing the tourney or having an all around mediocre season. I would hope you could admit that (but you won't, because in Kentucky these are life and death matters). The fact that KU has as many final fours and tourney wins as they do despite the chokes shows how consistently good they've been.

By any objective measure, KU has been the better program in that span. Just like UNC and Duke have been better than Uconn the last two decades despite fewer titles.

But don't worry, we're just cherry picking the so-called modern era. You'll always have the 40s and 50s.

Reactions: DallasJayhawk
Upsets in a single elimination format are better than missing the tourney or having an all around mediocre season.

giphy.gif

Upsets in a single elimination format are better than missing the tourney or having an all around mediocre season. I would hope you could admit that (but you won't, because in Kentucky these are life and death matters). The fact that KU has as many final fours and tourney wins as they do despite the chokes shows how consistently good they've been.

By any objective measure, KU has been the better program in that span. Just like UNC and Duke have been better than Uconn the last two decades despite fewer titles.

But don't worry, we're just cherry picking the so-called modern era. You'll always have the 40s and 50s.
Dance puppet, dance! You’re no fun anymore. Enjoy getting bounced by mid majors in the coming years bub.

I think you're misreading my post, I was asking if you considered letting african american players finally play a major rule change. They weren't allowed to play for a very long time.

Also if you want to use 1987 instead of 1985 as the beginning of the modern era that's fine with me because the best program from 1985 or 1987 until present day remains the same. SmokinSmile

as i stated i don't care what the color of their skin is
we have an African American woman leading the basketball committee
although i do think they should have used real basketball people for the committee regardless of race or religion

whether it changes anything or not it is hard to argue that the 3 point line has been the biggest change to CBB in my lifetime

The best program all time by most experts is Kentucky. So instead of cherry picking a particular period let's just go all time best basketball program
List of AP all-time Top 100 college basketball programs
Updated: March 29, 2017, 4:25 PM ET
Associated Press
The Associated Press has been ranking the best teams in college basketball since January 1949. Over 68 years and more than 1,100 polls, a total of 200 schools have been ranked and 59 of them have been ranked No. 1 (Saint Louis was the first No. 1).

To determine the all-time Top 100, the AP formula counted poll appearances (one point each) to mark consistency and No. 1 rankings (two points each) to acknowledge elite programs. Keep in mind that AP doesn't release a poll after the NCAA Tournament, so eventual national champions are not factored into these rankings. Instead, this list focuses more on those programs that consistently appear in the poll and/or at the top during the regular seasons.

The poll started with 20 teams ranked each week until it was reduced to just the Top 10 midway through the 1960-1961 season. It then returned to a Top 20 format for the 1968-69 season. The poll expanded to 25 teams starting with the 1989-1990 and it has remained that size since then. The first preseason poll was introduced at the start of the 1961-1962 season.

---

1. KENTUCKY (1,111 Points)

Total appearances: 75.37% of all polls

First appearance: Jan. 18, 1949 (first-ever poll)

No.1 rankings: 124

Best full decade: 1950s, appeared in 89.63% of polls, but 1990s were close with 89.33%.

Worst full decade: 1960s, appeared in 59.59% of polls.

Poll point: The Wildcats have missed appearing at least once in the poll for only three seasons during the 68-year history of the AP poll, the fewest poll-less seasons of any program. Those seasons were 1952-1953, 1988-1989, and 1989-1990.

2. NORTH CAROLINA (1,098 Points)

Total appearances: 76.68% of all polls

First appearance: Jan. 25, 1953

No.1 rankings: 110

Best full decade: 1980s, appeared in 98.19% of polls.

Worst full decade: 1960s, appeared in 42.96% of polls.

Poll point: The Tar Heels have appeared in more AP polls than any other program. UNC also has made the poll at least once each season since 1966-1967, the longest streak of any program at 51 years. What's even more impressive is the streak started back when the poll only had 10 teams.

3. DUKE (1,032 Points)

Total appearances: 67.6% of all polls

First appearance: Dec. 10, 1951

No.1 rankings: 129

Best full decade: 2000s, appeared in 98.95% of polls, but on pace to top that in the 2010s.

Worst full decade: 1970s, appeared in 17.86% of polls.

Poll point: Coach Mike Krzyzewski's Blue Devils have been ranked more times than any other team under the same coach. He has led them to nearly 80 percent of the program's poll appearances. To top that off, Duke has been left out of only four weekly polls since the start of the 1996-1997 season, the highest percentage of any program over that span.

4. UCLA (957 Points)

Total appearances: 60.17% of all polls

First appearance: March 8, 1949

No.1 rankings: 134, most of any program.

Best full decade: 1970s, appeared in 100% of polls, only program with a perfect percentage over an entire decade.

Worst full decade: 1980s, appeared in 39.76% of polls.

Poll point: The Bruins didn't miss a single poll for 221 weeks, starting with the preseason 1966-1967 poll and ending with the fifth poll of the 1979-1980 season, the longest consecutive streak of any program.

5. KANSAS (857 Points)

Total appearances: 63.49% of all polls

First appearance: March 7, 1950

No.1 rankings: 65

Best full decade: 1990s, appeared in 91.57% of polls, but also hasn't missed a poll yet in the 2010s.

Worst full decade: 1960s, appeared in 30.14% of polls.

Poll point: The Jayhawks have appeared in every poll since Feb. 2, 2009, the nation's longest active streak. Since taking over as KU's head coach in 2003, Bill Self's teams have appeared in the poll more than 90 percent of the time.

6. INDIANA (662 Points)

Total appearances: 48.38% of all polls

First appearance: Jan. 5, 1950

No.1 rankings: 54

Best full decade: 1990s, appeared in 71.35% of polls.

Worst full decade: 1960s, appeared in 15.75% of polls.

Poll point: The Hoosiers' longest stretch of consecutive weeks in the poll was 73, running from the 1990-1991 to 1994-1995 seasons.

7. LOUISVILLE (627 Points)

Total appearances: 54.41% of all polls

First appearance: Jan. 17, 1950

No.1 rankings: 2

Best full decade: 1970s, appeared in 75.60% of polls, but so far on pace to top that in the 2010s.

Worst full decade: 1960s, appeared in 26.03% of polls.

Poll point: While appearing in more than half of the polls to date, the Cardinals only reached No. 1 twice -- on March 16, 2009, and Jan. 14, 2013. In fact, Louisville was ranked in 520 polls before landing a No. 1, the longest drought of any team that has appeared in the poll.

8. ARIZONA (594 Points)

Total appearances: 45.41% of all polls

First appearance: Feb. 7, 1950

No.1 rankings: 37

Best full decade: 1990s, appeared in 99.44% of polls, missing only one weekly poll during the decade.

Worst full decade: 1960s, didn't appear in a single poll.

Poll point: The Wildcats didn't appear in a single AP poll over a 22-season period that started with 1951-52 and ended when ranked again in the 1973-1974 season, the longest poll drought of any team in the All-Time Top 10.

9. SYRACUSE (581 Points)

Total appearances: 47.77% of all polls

First appearance: Dec. 25, 1951

No.1 rankings: 17

Best full decade: 1990s, appeared in 76.97% of polls.

Worst full decade: 1960s, appeared in only 2.05% of polls..

Poll point: The Orangemen appeared in the AP poll only 17 times before Jim Boeheim was promoted to head coach in 1976. Since then, Syracuse has appeared more than 500 times and at least once every season since 1982-1983.

10. CINCINNATI (500 Points)

Total appearances: 35.81% of all polls

First appearance: Jan. 18, 1949 (first-ever poll)

No.1 rankings: 45

Best full decade: 1990s, appeared in 61.25% of polls.

Worst full decade: 1980s, didn't appear in a single poll during the decade.

Poll point: The Bearcats are the top "mid-major" appearing more times than any other program not currently in a Power 5 conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: tw3301
Trying to get back on topic here. Dukies, projected starting five for this year? Let’s compare

PG - Hagans
SG - Green
SF - Johnson
PF - Washington
C - Travis

Bench:
Richards
Herro
Quickly
Montgomery
Baker

All ten guys should get minutes, I would think Montgomery, Richards, Herro, and Quickly will see the most off the bench. We don’t have a lot of height in the starting five, but we have plenty coming off the bench, both guards and big men. Also, PJ and Travis are both very strong kids with high motors, rebounding should be a huge plus for this team. Shooting may not be a big strength, but it will definitely not be a weakness. Plenty of shooters on this team.

Trying to get back on topic here. Dukies, projected starting five for this year? Let’s compare

PG - Hagans
SG - Green
SF - Johnson
PF - Washington
C - Travis

Bench:
Richards
Herro
Quickly
Montgomery
Baker

All ten guys should get minutes, I would think Montgomery, Richards, Herro, and Quickly will see the most off the bench. We don’t have a lot of height in the starting five, but we have plenty coming off the bench, both guards and big men. Also, PJ and Travis are both very strong kids with high motors, rebounding should be a huge plus for this team. Shooting may not be a big strength, but it will definitely not be a weakness. Plenty of shooters on this team.
@LetsGoDuke301 @Quavarius @tw3301 @dukedevilz @bignish

as i stated i don't care what the color of their skin is
we have an African American woman leading the basketball committee
although i do think they should have used real basketball people for the committee regardless of race or religion

whether it changes anything or not it is hard to argue that the 3 point line has been the biggest change to CBB in my lifetime
clearly missing the point so I'll just say that I give less weight to titles won when only white people were allowed to play than in the modern era and move on. no clue what the basketball committee has to do with anything.

PG Tre Jones
SG Cam Reddish
SF RJ Barrett
PF Zion Williamson
C Marques Bolden

Bench:
Javin Delaurier
Alex O'Connell
Joey Baker
Jordan Goldwire
Jack White
Antonio Vrankovic
Justin Robinson
How deep you guys going? That starting five should be extremely good.

I honestly love the idea of seeing Travis and Washington play together. I don't think they complement each other very well. Montgomery and Richards would be better compliments with Montgomery's guard skills and Richards' defense, but I understand that Travis and Washington are better players. Also, is Green going to start over Quickley?

The 4 Duke Freshmen will see 30+ minutes. Cam & RJ will see close to 40. Bolden starts at the 5. Javin and Alex O'Connell will fill in most of the remaining minutes... My only concern for Duke is perimeter shooting. I think we have playmakers, we have defenders, we have length. But shooting is going to come at a premium. That might cost us a few games... especially if teams start to pack it in the paint and clog up the lane.

Reactions: tw3301 and JimboBBN
According to the AP Kansas is number 5 all time. At least they can say they are somewhat relevant. Of course that is 4 spots behind Kentucky which is number 1.

I honestly love the idea of seeing Travis and Washington play together. I don't think they complement each other very well. Montgomery and Richards would be better compliments with Montgomery's guard skills and Richards' defense, but I understand that Travis and Washington are better players. Also, is Green going to start over Quickley?

The 4 Duke Freshmen will see 30+ minutes. Cam & RJ will see close to 40. Bolden starts at the 5. Javin and Alex O'Connell will fill in most of the remaining minutes... My only concern for Duke is perimeter shooting. I think we have playmakers, we have defenders, we have length. But shooting is going to come at a premium. That might cost us a few games... especially if teams start to pack it in the paint and clog up the lane.
You could be right about Travis and Washington, but as you said, those two are our best post players. They are both studs at rebounding, the only issue I see with them is shot blocking. Wouldn’t surprise me if we started Montgomery at the 4 and PJ came off the bench just to shake things up. No idea. The lineup possibilities with this group are endless.

I was gonna say, other than Reddish, who I know has a decent stroke, I’m not sure I see any other if your key contributors being much of a threat from deep. Agree with your point about packing the paint. As good as your three freshman are at taking the ball to the hoop, it would be tough against a zone.

According to the AP Kansas is number 5 all time. At least they can say they are somewhat relevant. Of course that is 4 spots behind Kentucky which is number 1.
Kansas is an awesome program. But if you troll Kentucky, especially with illogical opinions, you’re going to get it back.

Reactions: lkc1234

Hoping O'Connell busts ass in the offseason and has a Luke Kennard/Grayson Allen-like leap his sophomore year.

Hoping O'Connell busts ass in the offseason and has a Luke Kennard/Grayson Allen-like leap his sophomore year.

Both of them were much more touted recruits, no? I doubt he has that kind of leap. Though he should have probably played more at the end of the year, especially over Duval.

Both of them were much more touted recruits, no? I doubt he has that kind of leap. Though he should have probably played more at the end of the year, especially over Duval.
yeah they were, both Allen and Kennard were fringe top 25 kids (Allen's class was much, much better than Kennard's) and O'Connell was top 60ish. still, fingers crossed.

Gotta make it to the final four first
This is true. Anymore i'm more worried about the first weekend than the second. Coach K has a pretty good elite 8 record. (I know Duke lost in OT in the elite 8 last year to Kansas but if Trent or Allen could have made ANYTHING Duke wins by 8-12 points.)

This is true. Anymore i'm more worried about the first weekend than the second. Coach K has a pretty good elite 8 record. (I know Duke lost in OT in the elite 8 last year to Kansas but if Trent or Allen could have made ANYTHING Duke wins by 8-12 points.)

The whole tournament is a crap shoot tbh. K has a history of doing poorly early but when Y'all go far you win the damn thing.
The NCAA Tournament is the best way to determine a champion and the worst way to determine the best team.

ADVERTISEMENT