ADVERTISEMENT

Updated photo of my man cave

Bought our first house a month ago and finally have the basement set up. I still haven't hung up things that I plan on hanging up so the walls are pretty bare, but I like a clean/relaxed feel so I probably won't put too much up.

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

Bump.

Any finished basement / man cave suggestions?

Just got back from vacation of 11 days, to find out my basement flooded. Braided steel line into hot water tank burst and poured water for dayS. Insurance involved, will require almost a full gut of the basement. Drywall flood cuts 2-4FT in every room, ceiling drywall needs to be replaced, downstairs bathroom is trashed, all trim trashed, furniture trashed, etc.

I think I need to find contractors ASAP to start getting quotes?

Out of curiosity, were permits pulled when your basement was originally built? Would that affect insurance quotes?

@Matt Laurer

Out of curiosity, were permits pulled when your basement was originally built? Would that affect insurance quotes?

@Matt Laurer

Basement was already finished when we bought so I'm not sure. People we bought from only lived there a couple years, and before them was a contractor who did all the work himself (per neighbors)

I contacted a Public Adjustor and he mentioned that may be a factor, if we need to get anything up to code.

Permits would only be pulled once someone is engaged to do the work. A quote should include the cost of permits.
Basement was already finished when we bought so I'm not sure. People we bought from only lived there a couple years, and before them was a contractor who did all the work himself (per neighbors)

I contacted a Public Adjustor and he mentioned that may be a factor, if we need to get anything up to code.
I misread that post about permits. Missed the part about when originally built.

OP is this where you play with you mini doll figurines?

I’m talking about could insurance deny a claim if a permit wasn’t pulled
Insurance can deny a claim for all sorts of shit. Depends on what is in the coverage and what’s in their by-laws. But it would be pretty hard given the fact he bought the house as-is. I’m sure it came with an inspection and appraisal. Insurance knew what they were covering.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Bought our first house a month ago and finally have the basement set up. I still haven't hung up things that I plan on hanging up so the walls are pretty bare, but I like a clean/relaxed feel so I probably won't put too much up.

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg
Damn, that is nice Hale. I can see UK blue on that big TV screen! SmokinSmile

Damn, that is nice Hale. I can see UK blue on that big TV screen! SmokinSmile

The screen was my first big purchase for the house. Pretty excited to watch football and basketball on it. The one in the corner is 47 inches, the one on the ground is 65 inches. Two games on at once or be able to have a game on while playing PS4.

I put a lot of debate into having a bar or bar table. I ended up going with the bar table because I like to play cards and we play board games with other couples sometimes. It seems way more convenient.

What I still need to get are:
-Beer fridge/mini fridge
-Sound bar for the TV
-A frame for my Denard Robinson signed Michigan jersey to hang up

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg
I hope that’s your elliptical, otherwise it’ll become a “fitness room” in a month. T’s and P’s

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
Ohhhhh very nice. Love that pattern. That light color?
Yes. Need to be light with everything else we are doing down there or it will look like a dungeon. The leather chairs and rugs will transition the floor and walls

Reactions: TheDude1
Yes. Need to be light with everything else we are doing down there or it will look like a dungeon. The leather chairs and rugs will transition the floor and walls

Do you plan on having to deal with insects finding their way in? I f’ing hate bugs but when we moved in I found and killed 4 house centipedes that looked about the size of a cat to me. I sprayed perimeter inside and out with ortho home defense and run a dehumidifier (that can’t seem to get my basement below 52%) and have only killed one spider inside and one centipede outside since then.

I always wonder if the immaculate and new finished basements are free of insect worries because they look so good in pictures ha.

Do you plan on having to deal with insects finding their way in? I f’ing hate bugs but when we moved in I found and killed 4 house centipedes that looked about the size of a cat to me. I sprayed perimeter inside and out with ortho home defense and run a dehumidifier (that can’t seem to get my basement below 52%) and have only killed one spider inside and one centipede outside since then.

I always wonder if the immaculate and new finished basements are free of insect worries because they look so good in pictures ha.
Have your house treated quarterly by a pest control company.

Ive been contemplating putting down hardwoods throughout. I found a company that will end match tongue and groove old railcar wood. Super knotty, amazingly distressed. Visually it cant be beat----but I question the ability to clean the surface. How high are your ceilings down there?

YESSSSS....

That dark palate is SO nice for a mancave!!

That's excellent, that your wife does this for a living... what luck.

I love that dark wood look. I've seen some rooms like that that use wainscoting nicely. Any chance you can put in a fireplace? Love a fireplace in a mancave... I would put one in if I could:) Nice oxblood leather looks pretty sharp in that sort of room, too. Love the idea of the glass wine cellar. DEFINITELY post some photos as you go... I f'ing love interior design/decoration:)

Hello boys this is formerly Matt Lauer with a basement update. We are about halfway done with the basement.

The next two pics are from when we waterproofed the basement
JB0qp28.jpg

PBBean3.jpg

Herringbone floor

vCXYTXe.jpg

Ordered some wine rack kits
qTk6LwI.jpg

Built out framing to give the built-in look
s0r6bNL.jpg

Semi-finished product. Left to do will be build a small table to insert in the middle of the wine racks with a marble top for serving wine. Look up at the bulkhead by the wineroom, we are going to encase it in glass, with a glass door. Wife is going to put some sort of wall covering on the back wall. On the opposite side of the room, we are going to build a wet bar. Bathroom needs to get done at some point as well.
RHnU3Zb.jpg

4V8YC7v.jpg

lWO73A7.jpg

Wet bar will have this feel to it.
uh7AS2d.jpg

Hello boys this is formerly Matt Lauer with a basement update. We are about halfway done with the basement.

JB0qp28.jpg

PBBean3.jpg

Herringbone floor

vCXYTXe.jpg

qTk6LwI.jpg

s0r6bNL.jpg

Semi-finished product. Left to do will be build a small table to insert in the middle of the wine racks with a marble top for serving wine. Look up at the bulkhead by the wineroom, we are going to encase it in glass, with a glass door. Wife is going to put some sort of wall covering on the back wall. On the opposite side of the room, we are going to build a wet bar. Bathroom needs to get done at some point as well.
RHnU3Zb.jpg

4V8YC7v.jpg

lWO73A7.jpg

uh7AS2d.jpg
Make sure you do not invite me or my friends to your place! jumpingsmile

Reactions: Sevro

JB0qp28.jpg

PBBean3.jpg

Herringbone floor

vCXYTXe.jpg

qTk6LwI.jpg

s0r6bNL.jpg

RHnU3Zb.jpg

4V8YC7v.jpg

lWO73A7.jpg

uh7AS2d.jpg
I was wondering what happened to you.

I was wondering what happened to you.
Mainboard mods always ban me. I don't do anything. I am patiently waiting for @denniden to grant me moderator status so I can be free from their tyranny.

Lauer literally got banned after posting "Fedora to be fired, Mack Brown coming back..." after the Duke football loss. They thought I was trolling or something.

Mainboard mods always ban me. I don't do anything. I am patiently waiting for @denniden to grant me moderator status so I can be free from their tyranny.

Lauer literally got banned after posting "Fedora to be fired, Mack Brown coming back..." after the Duke football loss. They thought I was trolling or something.
Haha. That's because you told them you were a Clemson fan.

Do you get your money back? Or do you have to drop a hundy every time you open an account?

JB0qp28.jpg

PBBean3.jpg

Herringbone floor

vCXYTXe.jpg

qTk6LwI.jpg

s0r6bNL.jpg

RHnU3Zb.jpg

4V8YC7v.jpg

lWO73A7.jpg

uh7AS2d.jpg

****, now YOU have a new name?! I can't even keep straight who KytotheCore is!

Room looks awesome, man. Love the floor. That's some SERIOUS wine storage:) Love how you built it and painted it, to make the racks really blend in. Keep us updated!

Reactions: Sevro

JB0qp28.jpg

PBBean3.jpg

Herringbone floor

vCXYTXe.jpg

qTk6LwI.jpg

s0r6bNL.jpg

RHnU3Zb.jpg

4V8YC7v.jpg

lWO73A7.jpg

uh7AS2d.jpg
Nice wine racks for the wife. Where do you keep your booze though?

the%2Broom.JPG

Got a few more toys, so thought I would post a new photo.

I swear, when I die I am going to make them bury me down there, pharaoh style.

Ignore the hanging strap on the rifle on the left, gotta punch a few new holes in there to get it tight.

Btw, remember how I hate guns and everything? That will always make me laugh:)
MOM! Where's the damn MEATLOAF!

I empathize.

Regards,

The artist formerly know as KYtotheCore

the%2Broom.JPG

Got a few more toys, so thought I would post a new photo.

I swear, when I die I am going to make them bury me down there, pharaoh style.

Ignore the hanging strap on the rifle on the left, gotta punch a few new holes in there to get it tight.

Btw, remember how I hate guns and everything? That will always make me laugh:)
I like the fact that it is picked up.

I think 52 is plenty low enough though, right? IDK. Mine is unfinished but I have a TV and all sorts of bookshelves and dressers and stuff so I try to keep mine under 60. I should take a picture of that mess sometime, lol. Anyway, I could certainly be wrong but I always thought anything under 60 was ok.

ADVERTISEMENT