ADVERTISEMENT

Updated photo of my man cave

I thought about it, but I gave a lot of my best stuff to a buddy when he moved into his new house, for his office... and I figured I would just stay with a consistent military theme:)
Code for, you're waiting until you get some UK gear to put up. Good choice bro, good choice. Winking

Reactions: TheDude1
Need a radio station like that in every major city in America. Who did you get to do sound for?
Man, they're really great people. Was a blast working a weekend over there with them. We covered sound for a band out of Austin called "Explosions in the sky", an instrumental group that's been playing for like 20 years. Really nice guys as well, but it was in mid-October last year. I generally work sound for a radio station in Berkeley and SF, and it was a nice change of scenery to head up to Seattle for a weekend.

Btw, thought I'd share the fridge.... since, you know, snacks and drinks rock.

fridge1.JPG

fridge2.JPG

Reactions: F-Duke
Bump.

Any finished basement / man cave suggestions?

Just got back from vacation of 11 days, to find out my basement flooded. Braided steel line into hot water tank burst and poured water for dayS. Insurance involved, will require almost a full gut of the basement. Drywall flood cuts 2-4FT in every room, ceiling drywall needs to be replaced, downstairs bathroom is trashed, all trim trashed, furniture trashed, etc.

I think I need to find contractors ASAP to start getting quotes?

Man, they're really great people. Was a blast working a weekend over there with them. We covered sound for a band out of Austin called "Explosions in the sky", an instrumental group that's been playing for like 20 years. Really nice guys as well, but it was in mid-October last year. I generally work sound for a radio station in Berkeley and SF, and it was a nice change of scenery to head up to Seattle for a weekend.
Thats crazy---I have explosions in the sky on my playlist. (found them via friday night lights)

if you like that one try brian crane: at the ivy gate

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
Bump.

Any finished basement / man cave suggestions?

Just got back from vacation of 11 days, to find out my basement flooded. Braided steel line into hot water tank burst and poured water for dayS. Insurance involved, will require almost a full gut of the basement. Drywall flood cuts 2-4FT in every room, ceiling drywall needs to be replaced, downstairs bathroom is trashed, all trim trashed, furniture trashed, etc.

I think I need to find contractors ASAP to start getting quotes?
Are you handy? Depending on your personal style---I really like the urban farmhouse look. It can be pulled off rather easily if you can run saws and know how to install stone/tile/hardwood. I like the natural engineered stone and barn wood. Pairs great with rustic hardwood floors or slate.

Are you handy? Depending on your personal style---I really like the urban farmhouse look. It can be pulled off rather easily if you can run saws and know how to install stone/tile/hardwood. I like the natural engineered stone and barn wood. Pairs great with rustic hardwood floors or slate.

I'm not really planning on doing anything myself. This is going to be a pain in the dick for the next 2-6 months, as our finished basement is half of our living space (where my projector / big couch is = main TV watching area).

I just figured if everything is getting ripped out anyway, time to see what we like so we can move in that direction. Probably going to sell the house soon anyway, so that is a factor as well. I want to add egress windows to the 2 downstairs bedrooms to make the official.

I'm not really planning on doing anything myself. This is going to be a pain in the dick for the next 2-6 months, as our finished basement is half of our living space (where my projector / big couch is = main TV watching area).

I just figured if everything is getting ripped out anyway, time to see what we like so we can move in that direction. Probably going to sell the house soon anyway, so that is a factor as well. I want to add egress windows to the 2 downstairs bedrooms to make the official.
Ah---well then you have plenty of expense ahead. My ideas are expensive IF you cant do it yourself. Sucks to hear that man.

Ah---well then you have plenty of expense ahead. My ideas are expensive IF you cant do it yourself. Sucks to hear that man.

Any pics of your ideas?

I have a projector in the basement, figured I could run the wiring behind the wall if everything is getting replaced anyway. Egress windows in the bedrooms. Trying to figure out what else I should have done, while they rip everything out.

Is that glass front part refrigerated?

No, its a two part fridge... the top snack part isnt refrigerated, but the bottom part is. I love that it is a two part thing... I like anything that is self contained like that:)

Hm, funny, forgot about this thread. Picked up one or two new bits... this helmet from Japan is the best thing, but got a great shako coming in a few months... also picked up a fantastic Rev War cartridge box, British, that should be here in just a few days.

DSC_0398.JPG

Any pics of your ideas?

I have a projector in the basement, figured I could run the wiring behind the wall if everything is getting replaced anyway. Egress windows in the bedrooms. Trying to figure out what else I should have done, while they rip everything out.
Ill see what I can come up with

No, its a two part fridge... the top snack part isnt refrigerated, but the bottom part is. I love that it is a two part thing... I like anything that is self contained like that:)
Ive never seen one like that. Glass front minis are great

the%2Broom.JPG

Got a few more toys, so thought I would post a new photo.

I swear, when I die I am going to make them bury me down there, pharaoh style.

Ignore the hanging strap on the rifle on the left, gotta punch a few new holes in there to get it tight.

Btw, remember how I hate guns and everything? That will always make me laugh:)
Just gutted our basement and will beging working on my man lair. Will share when it’s at substantial completion

Any particular theme or guiding principal of building?
I’m letting my wife design it, given that’s her profession, with my input. Hard to explain but darker room with a dedicated wine cellar. Think classic library with leather and books, with a modern flair.
These colors but not the stupid paintings
2library%2BMartin%2BKobus1.jpg

item5.rendition.slideshowHorizontal.international-private-clubs-06-the-battery-san-francisco.jpg

wet bar inspiration
bar-decor-ideas-decorating-image-gallery-photo-of-intended-for-designs-7.jpg

Building a bathroom with a slab in the shower like below but slate floors and different fixtures
47c991c4714b.jpg

Wine cellar kind of like this with wall to ceiling glass. Different floors for sure.
wine-cellar-design-rhino-cellars-cooling-systems-with-designs-10.jpg

I’m letting my wife design it, given that’s her profession, with my input. Hard to explain but darker room with a dedicated wine cellar. Think classic library with leather and books, with a modern flair.

item5.rendition.slideshowHorizontal.international-private-clubs-06-the-battery-san-francisco.jpg

wet bar inspiration

Building a bathroom with a slab in the shower like below but slate floors and different fixtures
47c991c4714b.jpg

Wine cellar kind of like this with wall to ceiling glass. Different floors for sure.
Ive been contemplating putting down hardwoods throughout. I found a company that will end match tongue and groove old railcar wood. Super knotty, amazingly distressed. Visually it cant be beat----but I question the ability to clean the surface. How high are your ceilings down there?

Ive been contemplating putting down hardwoods throughout. I found a company that will end match tongue and groove old railcar wood. Super knotty, amazingly distressed. Visually it cant be beat----but I question the ability to clean the surface. How high are your ceilings down there?
Go for it. That would look great.

Ceilings are low. I think 86”. It will do, but it’s not ideal.

wet bar inspiration

47c991c4714b.jpg

YESSSSS....

That dark palate is SO nice for a mancave!!

That's excellent, that your wife does this for a living... what luck.

I love that dark wood look. I've seen some rooms like that that use wainscoting nicely. Any chance you can put in a fireplace? Love a fireplace in a mancave... I would put one in if I could:) Nice oxblood leather looks pretty sharp in that sort of room, too. Love the idea of the glass wine cellar. DEFINITELY post some photos as you go... I f'ing love interior design/decoration:)

Reactions: Matt Laurer
YESSSSS....

That dark palate is SO nice for a mancave!!

That's excellent, that your wife does this for a living... what luck.

I love that dark wood look. I've seen some rooms like that that use wainscoting nicely. Any chance you can put in a fireplace? Love a fireplace in a mancave... I would put one in if I could:) Nice oxblood leather looks pretty sharp in that sort of room, too. Love the idea of the glass wine cellar. DEFINITELY post some photos as you go... I f'ing love interior design/decoration:)
It’s what we do for a living. I’ll update pics whenever we start. She brought home wood samples the other day, but I’m out of town. No chance on the fireplace as it’s in the basement and our house has 4 other ones.

Keep in mind, I’m working from a much smaller space than those pictures. About 1k sq ft. But it will be nice when it’s done.

Go for it. That would look great.

Ceilings are low. I think 86”. It will do, but it’s not ideal.
Your stuck with my same issue. We have a large finished basement---but its basic drywall and drop ceiling for some reason. And it isn't tall. We have only lived there for a year so I haven't done much exploring b/c I focused on the outdoor living space and other projects. Im hoping and praying that I can pull that drop ceiling out and do something industrial if its a lot of exposed ducts and pipes. Barn wood with beams and stone. Im just stuck on 9-10 ft ceilings and its just not the case---or ever will be down there. We have an elevator that goes from the basement storage room to the mid level guest bedroom, and then up to an upstairs guest bed and its basically just wasted space we could use to make closets and then expand bathrooms into the existing closets. Im not sure why the previous owners had it-----but it came in semi useful when we moved in---but for the foreseeable future is just a nightmare for me with kids playing with it. Its got a safety gate and phone in it---but somebody could easily stick a hand through the gate as its moving up and all you see is drywall and then the doors at each level---def has a pinch point if you extend anything outside the gate. All the elevator doors have safety locks so they cannot be opened unless the elevator is on your level---but Im sure Ill just keep them locked or flip the breaker so I don't end up on the news. Lots of work to be done---nothing but ideas and 6 numbers in powerball!

Your stuck with my same issue. We have a large finished basement---but its basic drywall and drop ceiling for some reason. And it isn't tall. We have only lived there for a year so I haven't done much exploring b/c I focused on the outdoor living space and other projects. Im hoping and praying that I can pull that drop ceiling out and do something industrial if its a lot of exposed ducts and pipes. Barn wood with beams and stone. Im just stuck on 9-10 ft ceilings and its just not the case---or ever will be down there. We have an elevator that goes from the basement storage room to the mid level guest bedroom, and then up to an upstairs guest bed and its basically just wasted space we could use to make closets and then expand bathrooms into the existing closets. Im not sure why the previous owners had it-----but it came in semi useful when we moved in---but for the foreseeable future is just a nightmare for me with kids playing with it. Its got a safety gate and phone in it---but somebody could easily stick a hand through the gate as its moving up and all you see is drywall and then the doors at each level---def has a pinch point if you extend anything outside the gate. All the elevator doors have safety locks so they cannot be opened unless the elevator is on your level---but Im sure Ill just keep them locked or flip the breaker so I don't end up on the news. Lots of work to be done---nothing but ideas and 6 numbers in powerball!
Go exposed. Would look good. Paint will tie it all together.

Kids and an elevator is tricky. Try coming up with a novel idea that keeps them out of it. Maybe fill it with a faux bookshelf that only you know how to open so you can still use it? Dry bar/pantry so every room has snack access? Just spitballing here.

It’s what we do for a living. I’ll update pics whenever we start. She brought home wood samples the other day, but I’m out of town. No chance on the fireplace as it’s in the basement and our house has 4 other ones.

Keep in mind, I’m working from a much smaller space than those pictures. About 1k sq ft. But it will be nice when it’s done.

What do you guys do for a living? Interior design only or remodeling?

We have a trashed finished basement from a burst water line, so we are in the process of figuring out how to redo it all

Go exposed. Would look good. Paint will tie it all together.

Kids and an elevator is tricky. Try coming up with a novel idea that keeps them out of it. Maybe fill it with a faux bookshelf that only you know how to open so you can still use it? Dry bar/pantry so every room has snack access? Just spitballing here.
Yup-----long story short, I need to add an addition and it solves every problem.

What do you guys do for a living? Interior design only or remodeling?

We have a trashed finished basement from a burst water line, so we are in the process of figuring out how to redo it all
Commercial architecture and mostly interiors, very little base building (ground up construction).

I read your post above, and I feel your pain. Is the insurance covering pretty much everything? If so, you’re in luck. Go out and find 3 reputable contractors and get them to give you a bid to restore the basement. Depending on what you want to spend, there are lots of things you can do. I’d suggest installing a basic water-proofing and sump pump system.

As far as aesthetics, what are you thinking?

Commercial architecture and mostly interiors, very little base building (ground up construction).

I read your post above, and I feel your pain. Is the insurance covering pretty much everything? If so, you’re in luck. Go out and find 3 reputable contractors and get them to give you a bid to restore the basement. Depending on what you want to spend, there are lots of things you can do. I’d suggest installing a basic water-proofing and sump pump system.

As far as aesthetics, what are you thinking?

Insurance came back with a lowball (in my opinion) amount already. Had a contractor out last night, but he's never done an insurance job so I think I need to find another contractor who knows how to write up the detailed report.

I think we are going to have egress windows installed in the 2 basement bedrooms, and possibly have speaker/hdmi/wiring run in the ceiling / behind the walls since they'll be ripping everything apart anyway.

Other than that, we don't really know what style we want to go with yet. I don't think we'll be in the house much longer, so probably going to base it on what we think will resell the best. Right now I have a projector setup and we use the area as our main "living room". But the projector, couch, all carpet, most drywall, ceilings, etc all have water damage... so we kind of have a blank slate to work with.

Insurance came back with a lowball (in my opinion) amount already. Had a contractor out last night, but he's never done an insurance job so I think I need to find another contractor who knows how to write up the detailed report.

I think we are going to have egress windows installed in the 2 basement bedrooms, and possibly have speaker/hdmi/wiring run in the ceiling / behind the walls since they'll be ripping everything apart anyway.

Other than that, we don't really know what style we want to go with yet. I don't think we'll be in the house much longer, so probably going to base it on what we think will resell the best. Right now I have a projector setup and we use the area as our main "living room". But the projector, couch, all carpet, most drywall, ceilings, etc all have water damage... so we kind of have a blank slate to work with.
Insurance comes up with their own quote, but like a car accident, a company that deals with this on the regular will help drive up,the price. Interview multiple companies. Find out who works with insurance the most. Good luck

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
ADVERTISEMENT