ADVERTISEMENT

Unnamed Duke Basketball player accused of rape

Weird. Never heard of the guy to be honest.
Me either and I know most of the Duke writers. All of those I know were more than willing to let the Winston situation play out before opining on it.

The Duke LAX situation should have taught all a lesson or two. It didn't for a great many though. Those kids were innocent and they got thrown under the bus as guilty from the moment an accusation came out from the woman. civil rights "leaders", politicians both locally and nationally, the media, ect... all got it wrong because they were in a rush to convict these kids. It ended up costing many high level people their jobs. Including the disbarment of of someone who tired to use these kids (and false accusation which he knew before prosecuting) to further his political future.

In the Kavanaugh case, for example, some of the women ended up admitting they fabricated the stories just to keep him from getting confirmed. I haven't followed the aftermath much, but I highly doubt they were seriously punished for that, which they should be. Rape cases are tricky. You can have all the evidence you want but who's to say the sex wasn't consensual? Some people like to be handcuffed, tied up, choked, beat up, etc. so none of that necessarily proves rape either. It's her word against his.

Kavanaugh hasn’t and likely won’t but he has easy defamation lawsuits against those women that said they fabricated lies and against Avenatti and networks like NBC that aired these women on national tv. He probably won’t but he really should because there needs to be severe consequences for people that straight up lie in order to defame.

Just like Chicago pd needs to charge Smollet with the full extent of the law for fabricating a hate crime and filing false police reports.

What sucks for Maggette and people in these situations (like Fairfax) is there simply isn’t a way to defend yourself other than to deny.

Why didn't Meredith Watson report this a few years ago when Fairfax was running for office? If this truly did happen, it sounds like she compartmentalized and came to terms with the assault well before these past few days. I can appreciate that she's not looking for any sort of financial or social gain but the timing of these accusations resurfacing hurts her credibility imo.

There's no easy answer for these sort of situations though sadly enough.

Sucks either way.

If she was raped, no doubt it was a traumatizing experience. It's not just something you can forget about. If it did happen, I can certainly appreciate not coming forth at the time of the incident. It's very likely she would have experienced some sort of backlash from the ardent Duke fans.

And on the other hand, it would also suck for Maggette if he was wrongly accused of being a rapist. It's not a label you can ever really remove; things will never be the same for him. People will always wonder - people will always be skeptical.

I gotta say though, what are the chances that the same person is raped on two separate occasions in consecutive years? According to the FBI Statistics, the rate of rape is 41 people per 100,000. Sure, some cases aren't reported. But I also know women can be spiteful, a lot of women have regret about sex (which is obviously not rape), and some are seeking a quick pay day. Bottom line, I don't know. Lots of question marks. I doubt we'll ever know for certain.

Why didn't Meredith Watson report this a few years ago when Fairfax was running for office? If this truly did happen, it sounds like she compartmentalized and came to terms with the assault well before these past few days. I can appreciate that she's not looking for any sort of financial or social gain but the timing of these accusations resurfacing hurts her credibility imo.

She said she told a Dean at Duke about it.

There are all sorts of reasons why. The first lady that accused Farifax said she went to the WaPo and they decided not to report the story...fear of not being believed and re living the trauma all over again are huige reasons why.

For Nasser, the MSU doctor....it took the first brave woman to come forward (Denhollander) and then women after her followed suit.

From what I've read, did she even report this herself?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/sports/meredith-watson-corey-maggette.html

Article makes it sound like "Mr Jones" reported it / put Maggette's name out for her.

“Meredith told me she had been raped twice at Duke,” Mr. Jones said. “And she told me that one of the men who raped her was the Duke basketball player Corey Maggette. That was a name I knew because I’m a basketball fan.”

Mr. Jones, who did not attend Duke, said he had not had much contact with Ms. Watson in the last decade “other than occasionally liking a Facebook post.” He said he was coming forward now because it “seemed like the right thing to do.”

ADVERTISEMENT