ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated teams you’ve watched so far.

McCarty better make the tourney with that squad. If they can come into Rupp and beat UK, fluke win or not, they should dominate in whatever 3rd World conference they play in.
This is going to come off as conceited, but UK tends to play down or up to their competition.

Haven't seen New Mexico I think they get Auburn tonight. NM has a few high level transfers that are doing pretty well for them.

I had Dayton at #46 in my preseason rankings. It's possible/likely that I may have undervalued them a bit.

Is Auburn good this year? Who did they lose again?

We have Bruce Pearl as our coach. We are more in the reloading phase now verses rebuilding.
We lost Okeke who went 15th overall in the draft last year to Orlando. Then brown and Harper our guards who are both now in the D league.

Doughty who was more of a role player last year has become a star player so far this year. Add in Wiley, purify, McLemore, and McCormick and you have quite a few guys with experience back. Lastly Okoro is a freshmen that Auburn now has that is a potential one and done. Basically replaced okeke. CBS has him as the 9th pick overall in a mock they just did. A few others are playing a lot to. I actually think this team is overall deeper than last year but may not have quite the dominating guards. Our defense has been amazing so far this season. We play undefeated Richmond tonight who beat Wisconsin last night.

We have Bruce Pearl as our coach. We are more in the reloading phase now verses rebuilding.
We lost Okeke who went 15th overall in the draft last year to Orlando. Then brown and Harper our guards who are both now in the D league.

Doughty who was more of a role player last year has become a star player so far this year. Add in Wiley, purify, McLemore, and McCormick and you have quite a few guys with experience back. Lastly Okoro is a freshmen that Auburn now has that is a potential one and done. Basically replaced okeke. CBS has him as the 9th pick overall in a mock they just did. A few others are playing a lot to. I actually think this team is overall deeper than last year but may not have quite the dominating guards. Our defense has been amazing so far this season. We play undefeated Richmond tonight who beat Wisconsin last night.
Just beat Kentucky and we’ll all be happy!

The AP has been underrating Michigan preseason every year. There are 44 teams receiving votes and none are for Michigan. I think that’s underrated.
Yeah....I guess my comment went over your head? Just for the record.....I definitely don't think IU is being underrated. Simply based off of not playing anyone yet.

Got to see Auburn a little last night - some solid pieces there. Athletic ability won't be an issue. The FR lefty is built like a tank. I think he's a lefty. I was drunk, not so sure the more I think bout it.

Reactions: olsonab
Got to see Auburn a little last night - some solid pieces there. Athletic ability won't be an issue. The FR lefty is built like a tank. I think he's a lefty. I was drunk, not so sure the more I think bout it.

We are deeper, longer, more athletic, and definitely better defensively than last year.

It is easily the most depth that Auburn has ever had, what that means I don’t know yet.

As for the freshman, the right hander is Okoro and is projected to be a top 15 by some projections already. The freshman lefty is Flanagan and he’s gonna be a good one as well.

We lost five guys from last year’s final 4, but still have the most experience returning in the SEC.

Don't be a Homer here and just pick the team you're rooting for!

Personally, I think IU has really looked underrated, so far.

Bump.

In this instance, the poster is simultaneously BOTH a homer and Nostradamus.

nostradamus-9425407-1-402.jpg

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Michigan might be the #1 underrated team, they are looking really good.

Pretty much every year these days you can count on this. The amount of preseason disrespect um receives despite the program success over the last 7-8 years has been something. 3rd in NBA first rd draft picks, two national championship appearances, tied for most tourney wins. Team returns a all conference pg and center with tons of other talented pieces around it and they get ranked 44th in the preseason. That is absolutely laughable.

Pretty much every year these days you can count on this. The amount of preseason disrespect um receives despite the program success over the last 7-8 years has been something. 3rd in NBA first rd draft picks, two national championship appearances, tied for most tourney wins. Team returns a all conference pg and center with tons of other talented pieces around it and they get ranked 44th in the preseason. That is absolutely laughable.

Who are you tied with?

Michigan may have been overlooked this year due to the coaching change.

Haven't followed the preseason polls over the years... it's possible voters are just lazy about it.

I think most fans have respect for Michigan.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
There's only 2 reasons why UM wasn't ranked higher was because they lost a phenomenal coach and replaced him with a completely unknown coach. The 2nd reason is because they lost some very important pieces from last year's team. Both of these reasons are definitely understandable reasons for why voters in other parts of the countries didn't have them higher....especially the 1st one.

There's only 2 reasons why UM wasn't ranked higher was because they lost a phenomenal coach and replaced him with a completely unknown coach. The 2nd reason is because they lost some very important pieces from last year's team. Both of these reasons are definitely understandable reasons for why voters in other parts of the countries didn't have them higher....especially the 1st one.

Voting should focus more on who returns and joins the team than who is gone. We hear the same “Michigan lost _____” year in and year out for reasons why they get underrated preseason.

When you return a roster as talented and experienced as Michigan’s is putting them 43rd preseason is an insult.

Voting should focus more on who returns and joins the team than who is gone. We hear the same “Michigan lost _____” year in and year out for reasons why they get underrated preseason.

When you return a roster as talented and experienced as Michigan’s is putting them 43rd preseason is an insult.

Yep. If you had Uk, ku, duke, or unc on your jersey Michigan would have been top 15 at minimum to start season. I love juwan Howard

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor

lol your buddy basically explained why it would happen a few posts back. If your team loses 1st rd draft choices and doesn't replace it with a 1 and done type of player, it's not crazy to assume that there will be a drop off the following season. Then when you throw on top of that losing your well respected coach and replacing him with someone with ZERO head coaching experience and ZERO college coaching experience at any level.....only a complete homer wouldn't expect a big drop off.

lol your buddy basically explained why it would happen a few posts back. If your team loses 1st rd draft choices and doesn't replace it with a 1 and done type of player, it's not crazy to assume that there will be a drop off the following season. Then when you throw on top of that losing your well respected coach and replacing him with someone with ZERO head coaching experience and ZERO college coaching experience at any level.....only a complete homer wouldn't expect a big drop off.

We returned three really good players in Zavier Simpson, Isaiah Livers, and Jon Teske. When you combine that with the talent of the role players filling holes it’s stupid to think they wouldn’t be a top 40 team.

For Michigan to be the #43 team in the country Brooks, Dejulius, Johns, Castleton would all have to show no improvement and Bajema and Wagner would have to both be useless.

We needed a couple of guys out of that group of 6 to step up and be role players to be a top 25 team and odds are that would happen.

Not only did that happen, 5 of the 6 have all been able to contribute at a big ten level and that (combined with our big three) is the key to what you are seeing as our ceiling.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
We returned three really good players in Zavier Simpson, Isaiah Livers, and Jon Teske. When you combine that with the talent of the role players filling holes it’s stupid to think they wouldn’t be a top 40 team.

For Michigan to be the #43 team in the country Brooks, Dejulius, Johns, Castleton would all have to show no improvement and Bajema and Wagner would have to both be useless.

We needed a couple of guys out of that group of 6 to step up and be role players to be a top 25 team and odds are that would happen.

Not only did that happen, 5 of the 6 have all been able to contribute at a big ten level and that (combined with our big three) is the key to what you are seeing as our ceiling.
You keep downplaying the loss of JB and replacing him with a 100% unproven coach. There's not many times where someone can point to a situation in the past ( if ever?) where a team replaced a phenomenal coach with someone with absolutely zero head coaching experience at any level and it ended up successful immediately.

I'm not disagreeing with you (and i don't think anyone here is) about if they had the talent to be higher then 43....of course they did. But, going into the season, to expect they wouldn't have some major learning curve to start the season is pretty foolish. Only the biggest Homer's out there wouldn't have thought that.

You keep downplaying the loss of JB and replacing him with a 100% unproven coach. There's not many times where someone can point to a situation in the past ( if ever?) where a team replaced a phenomenal coach with someone with absolutely zero head coaching experience at any level and it ended up successful immediately.

I'm not disagreeing with you (and i don't think anyone here is) about if they had the talent to be higher then 43....of course they did. But, going into the season, to expect they wouldn't have some major learning curve to start the season is pretty foolish. Only the biggest Homer's out there wouldn't have thought that.

Michigan returned three starters from back to back 30 win seasons and yet started the season ranked 43rd. That was way too low.

Regarding a “major learning curve”:

1. Michigan returned 3 upper classmen starters, including a 4th year point guard. That helps in a transition year.

2. Juwan Howard retained Saddi Washington, who is a coach from Beilein’s staff that Beilein vouched for as a head coach candidate.

3. Juwan Howard brought in Phil Martelli as an assistant head coach, recognizing that Martelli’s 23 years of head coaching experience would be helpful.

Last edited:
Michigan looks like a top 10 or better team.

Jace is still finding it necessary to call people homers for thinking 43rd was underrated.

You can’t make this shit up

ADVERTISEMENT