ADVERTISEMENT

TV/video games/movies off season thread

So, BoB is, IMO, the greatest thing ever made. Ever. I watch it at least once, full through, a year... I've probably seen the show in total 30 times? It is DEFINITELY better the second time through, bc you know the guys better at that point... first time through, it is a lot of young white dudes in helmets covered in mud, and it is hard to tell them apart:) (And while Ross IS in an episode and change, it is an incredible part, and Captain Sobol played a BIG role in why E company was the best in the business.)

Saving Private Ryan is also f'ing amazing. Same folks (Hanks and Spielberg.) That opening scene is movie HISTORY... nothing like it had EVER been done before, and it changed cinema forever. WW2 vets talk about walking out after that first 20 minutes in tears and unable to function... it is probably as close to real war as you can get on film. Every single war film... every single ACTION scene... since owes its existence to that movie.

The Pacific, I thought, was skippable. Far less personal, far less about the guys, not as likeable characters, a more alien theatre of war... I don't know, I saw it once and don't feel a need to see it again.

I couldn't finish Schindlers List, amazingly. Got to a part where they are wiping out families and I looked at my wife and just tapped out. Too easy to imagine it happening.

@lurkeraspect84 def chime in after Ryan, especially after Omaha beach.

Saving Private Ryan is also f'ing amazing. Same folks (Hanks and Spielberg.) That opening scene is movie HISTORY... nothing like it had EVER been done before, and it changed cinema forever. WW2 vets talk about walking out after that first 20 minutes in tears and unable to function... it is probably as close to real war as you can get on film. Every single war film... every single ACTION scene... since owes its existence to that movie.
This makes me want to watch it home on the home theater with 7.1, I guess if I"m going to watch it I should do it proper and not on a 32" 1440p work monitor with headphones.

thanks. BoB should be done by the time I get home as well.

This makes me want to watch it home on the home theater with 7.1, I guess if I"m going to watch it I should do it proper and not on a 32" 1440p work monitor with headphones.

thanks. BoB should be done by the time I get home as well.
good, I see you came to your senses after that other post.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
So, BoB is, IMO, the greatest thing ever made. Ever. I watch it at least once, full through, a year... I've probably seen the show in total 30 times? It is DEFINITELY better the second time through, bc you know the guys better at that point... first time through, it is a lot of young white dudes in helmets covered in mud, and it is hard to tell them apart:) (And while Ross IS in an episode and change, it is an incredible part, and Captain Sobol played a BIG role in why E company was the best in the business.)

The Pacific, I thought, was skippable. Far less personal, far less about the guys, not as likeable characters, a more alien theatre of war... I don't know, I saw it once and don't feel a need to see it again.

I couldn't finish Schindlers List, amazingly. Got to a part where they are wiping out families and I looked at my wife and just tapped out. Too easy to imagine it happening.

I read Band of Brothers before the show came out so didn't have that issue the first time through. Like you, I've probably seen it countless times.

Agree on Pacific, only mandatory if you are a WW2 nut.

Man, you gotta make it through Schindler's List. Probably the most powerful movie I have ever seen. The ending of it makes it worth the hard parts. Its amazing and shows just how big of part Schindler played in saving lives.

first episode is probably the slowest only because it focuses solely on boot camp.

Love that episode. LOVE IT. Curahee!!!

I didn't read it until AFTER I watched the show:(

@JimboBBN yeah, I should finish it... but I should probably wait, in a sensitive time right now, you know?:)

@lurkeraspect84 Don't worry man, it won't be "alright" :) And yeah, holy shit that opening is best on a big screen. Gotta agree with @WeAreDePaul both of these are "sit down and watch" types of things.

If you enjoyed the wire, same guys did a fantastic show about the invasion of Iraq called Generation Kill, based on the experiences of a Rolling Stone journalist embedded with 1st marine recon. Awesome show. Only six episodes.
Generation Kill is awesome, I still go back and watch it every once in awhile.

Right? That's another "once a year" watch. And I love the "music" on the intro and credits... just tactical radio chatter.

If you enjoyed the wire, same guys did a fantastic show about the invasion of Iraq called Generation Kill, based on the experiences of a Rolling Stone journalist embedded with 1st marine recon. Awesome show. Only six episodes.

Thanks guys. Another added to the list.

Wife's been trying to get me to watch Sons of Anarchy. That's a lot of hours. Especially when I plan on passing days by rewatching Breaking Bad after the finale of Better call Saul.

Has there been a better time for TV than right now? So much original programming to watch.

I probably work about 2-3 hrs a day (4 on a good day), the rest is in my office. I watch a lot of stuff.

Wife's been trying to get me to watch Sons of Anarchy. That's a lot of hours. Especially when I plan on passing days by rewatching Breaking Bad after the finale of Better call Saul.

Has there been a better time for TV than right now? So much original programming to watch.
I only saw a season or two, but I don't think Sons of Anarchy is worth the time investment. From what I hear, the show loses its steam after they go to Ireland.

Wait, you're watching Breaking Bad AFTER Better Call Saul? I know we're not supposed to say the word, but that is all kinds of R word.

Work PC

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
AMD 5600x
32 GB Corsair Ram @3200Mhz
Radeon 480 4GB GPU
Samsung M.2 1TB
Gigabyte 32 1440p/165hz

Pretty basic, but it works. Have Razer headphones (wired)

Again I spend so much down time I have to have something to pass the time by.

*it used to be my home HTPC but I've upgraded. building computers is a little addictive.

I only saw a season or two, but I don't think Sons of Anarchy is worth the time investment. From what I hear, the show loses its steam after they go to Ireland.

Wait, you're watching Breaking Bad AFTER Better Call Saul? I know we're not supposed to say the word, but that is all kinds of R word.
I watched BB when it came out, but after BCS, I want to watch it again knowing the characters better.

Also only watched it once so it'll be fresh. I remember the gist of it. Or is it jist?

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Work PC

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
AMD 5600x
32 GB Corsair Ram @3200Mhz
Radeon 480 4GB GPU
Samsung M.2 1TB
Gigabyte 32 1440p/165hz

Pretty basic, but it works. Have Razer headphones (wired)

Again I spend so much down time I have to have something to pass the time by.

*it used to be my home HTPC but I've upgraded. building computers is a little addictive.
You hiring?

I watched BB when it came out, but after BCS, I want to watch it again knowing the characters better.

Also only watched it once so it'll be fresh. I remember the gist of it. Or is it jist?

Jism. You remember the jism of it.

Now make sure to use that phrase a lot when you are out with people, and at work.

• Haha
Always fun to have a word of the day.

secret-word.gif

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Intense to say the least. Loved the direction of it as well. Epic cinematography.

Ah, glad to see the report! Hanks in that movie is goddamned pitch perfect. And yeah, that opening scene on the beach... every action scene since then, with the hyper-realistic, in-the-combat filming and blood... they ALL owe that scene a debt. Nowadays EVERY action scene looks like that, but when that first came out, it was ground breaking. Even the sound cutting out, when the guys go into the water... And it is crazy, Spielberg made a lot of it up on the spot! It wasn't some carefully choreographed shoot, which is what you'd expect... day by day they shot largely on the fly, which he credited for some of the rawness and randomness of it.

Here is a great video about it:

honestly, I'd recommend reading the book first. Makes the show even better.

EDIT: This is assuming you are literate

Yeah, I would probably agree, but keep in mind, it is a fairly dense WW2 book. I mean, if you love war stuff you'll ROLL through it, but...

Ah, glad to see the report! Hanks in that movie is goddamned pitch perfect. And yeah, that opening scene on the beach... every action scene since then, with the hyper-realistic, in-the-combat filming and blood... they ALL owe that scene a debt. Nowadays EVERY action scene looks like that, but when that first came out, it was ground breaking. Even the sound cutting out, when the guys go into the water... And it is crazy, Spielberg made a lot of it up on the spot! It wasn't some carefully choreographed shoot, which is what you'd expect... day by day they shot largely on the fly, which he credited for some of the rawness and randomness of it.

Here is a great video about it:

Hanks is amazing. We're running out of living legends and think he's one.

You guys are funny. I'll look up in the dictionary the ones I don't know. Thanks for the heads up.

ADVERTISEMENT