ADVERTISEMENT

TV/video games/movies off season thread

Watched the northman last night, it's ****ing weird. Wish they would have done more of the berserker raid stuff and less of the weird shit.

Hm, that's interesting to hear. Love a good viking tale.

Saw Dr. Strange last night. Eh. Not so good. Thor better be amazing, bc otherwise I'm starting to get nervous for Marvel.

Hm, that's interesting to hear. Love a good viking tale.

Saw Dr. Strange last night. Eh. Not so good. Thor better be amazing, bc otherwise I'm starting to get nervous for Marvel.
People either love or hate the new Doctor Strange movie. I haven't seen it yet so I'll wait to reserve judgement but it sounds like a whole lot of people die in it.

Regarding Marvel... Shang Chi was bad, Spiderman was awesome, Black Widow was ok, the Eternals was meh, can't remember what else has come out after Endgame.

People either love or hate the new Doctor Strange movie. I haven't seen it yet so I'll wait to reserve judgement but it sounds like a whole lot of people die in it.

Regarding Marvel... Shang Chi was bad, Spiderman was awesome, Black Widow was ok, the Eternals was meh, can't remember what else has come out after Endgame.

Yeah… a lot people die, but… well, yeah, it just wasn’t very good. A few cool moments, but… Missing a lot of what makes Marvel movies good. anyway, curious to hear your thoughts.

As for the other ones, we largely line up… I thought Shang Chi was okay (the actor is just so charismatic and cute), Spider Man was awesome, Black Widow was bad, and Eternals was meh. I feel like the shows, especially WandaVision, Moon Knight, and Hawkeye, were better than a lot of the movie stuff… if only they had handled Hawkeyes big bad correctly:(

Me, waiting to hear Lurkers feedback after having watched BoB:

b16.jpg

Yeah… a lot people die, but… well, yeah, it just wasn’t very good. A few cool moments, but… Missing a lot of what makes Marvel movies good. anyway, curious to hear your thoughts.

As for the other ones, we largely line up… I thought Shang Chi was okay (the actor is just so charismatic and cute), Spider Man was awesome, Black Widow was bad, and Eternals was meh. I feel like the shows, especially WandaVision, Moon Knight, and Hawkeye, were better than a lot of the movie stuff… if only they had handled Hawkeyes big bad correctly:(
The guy?

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Just saw the She-Hulk trailer... bleh. The CGI looked pretty rough, haven't watched Moon Knight and will likely pass on this show as well.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

Come on now, if you don't think Simu Liu is just a charming kid, you are off your rocker:)

And yeah, don't love the CG on She Hulk yet, but they have time. Should be a good show, though... I almost have more faith in the Marvel SHOWS than the Marvel MOVIES at this point. Ruffalo is great. Plus, doing it as a comedy is a great idea... She Hulk was always a somewhat tongue in cheek character. I'm looking forward to it. @dukedevilz you are just jealous, you want your wife to pick you up and carry you to the bedroom:)

And Moon Knight was really pretty good. Dark and a bit scary and a bit violent. Not a great ending, but Oscar Isaac was f'ing GREAT in that role. Like, he MADE that part as much as Robert Downey Jr. made Iron Man or Chris Hemsworth made Thor.

Definitely looking forward to Ms. Marvel... real different tone than a lot of what we've gotten, but I think the sort of tone that makes Marvel stuff infinitely more enjoyable than the DC crap. Love that "kid finding their way", super-powers-as-an-allegory-for-growing-up origin story type of stuff.

Last edited:
Come on now, if you don't think Simu Liu is just a charming kid, you are off your rocker:)

And yeah, don't love the CG on She Hulk yet, but they have time. Should be a good show, though... I almost have more faith in the Marvel SHOWS than the Marvel MOVIES at this point. Ruffalo is great. Plus, doing it as a comedy is a great idea... She Hulk was always a somewhat tongue in cheek character. I'm looking forward to it. @dukedevilz you are just jealous, you want your wife to pick you up and carry you to the bedroom:)

And Moon Knight was really pretty good. Dark and a bit scary and a bit violent. Not a great ending, but Oscar Isaac was f'ing GREAT in that role. Like, he MADE that part as much as Robert Downey Jr. made Iron Man or Chris Hemsworth made Thor.

Definitely looking forward to Ms. Marvel... real different tone than a lot of what we've gotten, but I think the sort of tone that makes Marvel stuff infinitely more enjoyable than the DC crap. Love that "kid finding their way", super-powers-as-an-allegory-for-growing-up origin story type of stuff.
i just would never describe another man as cute, especially on a college basketball board. ****ing weirdo.

I may give Moon Knight a shot now that I can binge it, hate the 1 episode per week format these streaming services are going to.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDude1
i just would never describe another man as cute, especially on a college basketball board. ****ing weirdo.

I may give Moon Knight a shot now that I can binge it, hate the 1 episode per week format these streaming services are going to.

Oh come on man, that guy is all smiley and adorable and non-threatening:)

And yeah, def check out Moon Knight. It has its flaws, like most Marvel stuff does, but overall it is pretty good.

I'm very indifferent on Batman. Love that he's just a normal guy in the grand scheme of things, but man, his battles can be so anticlimactic.

I was fully expecting the end of Batman (3 plus hours of mostly talking) to have this crazy fight scene where the big boss comes out and Batman has to fight for his life and the city.

Nope, some dudes with guns popped out, he stopped them, and that was the end of the movie.

Superman >>>>>> Batman

Only thing worse than once a week shows are shows that take months long break mid season like Better Call Saul is about to do. 7th episode will be the last for a while. 6 more later.

Reactions: tw3301
I'm very indifferent on Batman. Love that he's just a normal guy in the grand scheme of things, but man, his battles can be so anticlimactic.

I was fully expecting the end of Batman (3 plus hours of mostly talking) to have this crazy fight scene where the big boss comes out and Batman has to fight for his life and the city.

Nope, some dudes with guns popped out, he stopped them, and that was the end of the movie.

Superman >>>>>> Batman
I've never liked Batman. Just a rich guy with no super powers. Not a fan.

Reactions: JimboBBN

Superman >>>>>> Batman
Superman blows because they always have him fighting ****ing earthquakes and natural disasters because he's invulnerable and can kill anyone with a look. Man of Steel was decent because he had to fight people of equal power. Kryptonite is ****ing lame too.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Superman blows because they always have him fighting ****ing earthquakes and natural disasters because he's invulnerable and can kill anyone with a look. Man of Steel was decent because he had to fight people of equal power. Kryptonite is ****ing lame too.
Agreed. I think Batman and Superman suck. Give me Spidey all day long.

Superman’s biggest problem is that he is simply too powerful. There is nothing that can realistically threaten him, except some ridiculous over the top thing that no other hero can even be NEAR, thus making all other heroes look worthless.

Godzilla would thrash Superman

I might agree that Godzilla could take Thor, but no way could he kill Superman. Superman would literally just fly through Godzillas skull and brain and kill him instantly.

Do you even monster? Nuclear pulse would shut down that shit right then and there.

godzilla-king-of-the-monsters.gif

That's a lot of yellow light, there... isn't there something about Superman and yellow and nuclear power, like the Sun...?

End of day, Superman just literally just plows like a bullet right through Godzilla at the speed of light as many times as he wants. Godzilla would be unable to even land a hit on him.

(BTW, this is a great example of why Superman isn't a very fun hero... if they ever "wrote" him with absolutely no moral limits he would be even MORE overpowered.)

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
They put too many people in those movies. Like I want to watch monsters **** each other up, I don't care about the people. That first Godzilla showed him for like 14 minutes total, that's a joke.
KOTM was my favorite in the Monsterverse so far, but best overall monster movie is probably Godzilla vs Kong. No human scenes interrupting fights, fights were well lit and easily viewable, and the CGI was just amazing.

KOTM is my favorite because Godzilla is the hero and its a super nostalgic movie for people like me, who grew up watching the old movies.

That's a lot of yellow light, there... isn't there something about Superman and yellow and nuclear power, like the Sun...?

End of day, Superman just literally just plows like a bullet right through Godzilla at the speed of light as many times as he wants. Godzilla would be unable to even land a hit on him.

(BTW, this is a great example of why Superman isn't a very fun hero... if they ever "wrote" him with absolutely no moral limits he would be even MORE overpowered.)
I was thinking the exact same thing, like Ms Marvel going through Thanos' ship in EndGame.

KOTM was my favorite in the Monsterverse so far, but best overall monster movie is probably Godzilla vs Kong. No human scenes interrupting fights, fights were well lit and easily viewable, and the CGI was just amazing.

KOTM is my favorite because Godzilla is the hero and its a super nostalgic movie for people like me, who grew up watching the old movies.

100 percent agree with this... seeing Rodan and Mothra and Ghidorah on film in a modern film was pretty balls out.

But yeah, Kong/Godzilla was really well done. They knew what everyone wanted, and they didn't hold back or make it all happen in the rain or anything.

BTW, was thinking of starting my son on these movies! He LOVED Pacific Rim, and there is definitely some connective tissue there, you know? And when I was his age I used to DEVOUR all of those old school monster movies when they played on Sunday afternoon.

Reactions: JimboBBN
100 percent agree with this... seeing Rodan and Mothra and Ghidorah on film in a modern film was pretty balls out.

But yeah, Kong/Godzilla was really well done. They knew what everyone wanted, and they didn't hold back or make it all happen in the rain or anything.

BTW, was thinking of starting my son on these movies! He LOVED Pacific Rim, and there is definitely some connective tissue there, you know? And when I was his age I used to DEVOUR all of those old school monster movies when they played on Sunday afternoon.
The first Pacific Rim is really good, the second one is meh.

Not sure if you caught it during the movie, but Godzilla's old theme comes on when he's rising out of the water in KOTM, right before the final battle. Honestly cried like a little kid when it happened. Not ashamed to admit so. Hardly anything makes me feel like a kid anymore, and hearing Godzilla's music come on for the first time in 20 years, it was really something.

They put too many people in those movies. Like I want to watch monsters **** each other up, I don't care about the people. That first Godzilla showed him for like 14 minutes total, that's a joke.
Meh, it was a necessary sacrifice/slow burn to set up the ending when you first see Godzilla use his atomic breath.

Unfortunately, everyone nowadays only wants Godzilla vs Kong action for 2 hours every movie. That will lose its luster after a while for anyone, even hard-core kaiju fans.

I think that's the genius of what made early DragonBall Z work so well with its intended audience. The introduction of power levels gave clear stakes to fights and it made it that much more interesting to see how the heroes would overcome such deficits.

That's the struggle of writing characters like Superman. They have to visually find ways to make him stub his toe in order to make him seem less Invincible/boring, or use the tried and true "dumb babyface syndrome" to borrow a pro wrestling term, when it comes to exposing him to krypronite and other weaknesses.

Otherwise, they could just have him be Omni-Man from Invincible.

ADVERTISEMENT