ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday: WVU vs Kansas

Manster

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Interesting game. KU seems to like to go small, WVU has bruisers in the post. Will be interesting to see which team imposes their will on the other. I see this one pretty simply -- if WVU shoots it well (not real typical from what I've seen), they beat Kansas. What say you?

Kansas has a tough schedule to start the Big 12 season
They are taking everyone's best shot.

We will see where everyone is at by the end of January
Even if WVU wins this game. WVU still has the potential to lose to the bottom of the conference IMO

How will we handle their pressure? How will the contrasting styles work?

KU has found a way to win games against good teams despite not playing well.

defense has improved tremendously since Gonzaga game. Offensively you saw the potential when we play Gonzaga but we are very inconsistent. The inconsistency offensively should be expected.

Winning close games despite not playing well and despite some poor performances from Garrett and McCormack has me excited.

KU will need to hit their shots from the outside in order to give a little bit against WVU’s bigs.

Kansas has a tough schedule to start the Big 12 season
They are taking everyone's best shot.

We will see where everyone is at by the end of January
Even if WVU wins this game. WVU still has the potential to lose to the bottom of the conference IMO

So we tend to play to the level of our competition? This is true but i think this is one of those years that any of the top teams has potential to lose to the bottom of the conference.

So we tend to play to the level of our competition? This is true but i think this is one of those years that any of the top teams has potential to lose to the bottom of the conference.

Based on your shooting.
WVU tends to not shoot the ball well that leaves points up to chance

Hard to be a team that lives off of offensive rebounds.

But on the otherhand as we saw against Richmond and like the OP said...When WVU shoots well they are difficult to beat.

After 1 game things don't look different this year. But one game isn't a norm. So my opinion could change in the future in regards to WVU.

Like last year when you lost to K State. K State won only 3 games in the Big 12. 1 was WVU.
I will have to see something different and that Iowa St games looked like what we saw last year

Baylor could lose to a bottomfeeder? Doubtful.

Maybe not so much Baylor but even last year they lost to nearly bottom feeding TCU and almost lost to Oklahoma State as well as K state. I think these empty or 20% capacity arena's will have some teams players just going through the motions in bottom of the league games.

Last edited:
Maybe not so much Baylor but even last year they lost to nearly bottom feeding TCU and almost lost to Oklahoma State as well as K state. I think these empty or 20% capacity arena's will have some teams players just going through the motions in bottom of the league games.

Baylor is probably better this year and the bottom of the league is worse. TCU was not a bottom-feeder last year.

TCU was a NIT team last year. They actually got hot at the end and played well for 3/4 of a game against KU but Kansas last year knew how to win.
Pretty much ended their hope at making the NCAA Tournament. But even then Dixon has used the NIT to position that school to be a threat.

TCU had and still has the players to be a threat.
Bottom half of the conference team...but not a bottom feeder

That is reserved for Iowa St and K State
They have no chance at even the NIT. Last year and this year

Baylor is probably better this year and the bottom of the league is worse. TCU was not a bottom-feeder last year.

They were 8th in the conference. I thought bottom feeders was like the bottom 2 or 3 in the conference but I guess bottom feeder in your eyes is last place?

They were 8th in the conference. I thought bottom feeders was like the bottom 2 or 3 im the conference but I guess bottom feeder in your eyes is last place?

They finished tied for seventh.
At the end of the year they were playing quality basketball
Similar to Oklahoma State.
TCU gave Kansas a battle to end the season. KU somewhat ended their season but wasn't easy.

Both of those schools had the ability to beat teams on a consistent basis at some point of last year

Neither Iowa St not K State did
They don't again this year.

They were 8th in the conference. I thought bottom feeders was like the bottom 2 or 3 in the conference but I guess bottom feeder in your eyes is last place?

Bottom-feeder is a term for a shit team. TCU was not a shit team. They were an NIT team. K-State and Iowa St were shit teams.

They finished tied for seventh.
At the end of the year they were playing quality basketball
Similar to Oklahoma State

Both of those schools had the ability to beat teams on a consistent basis at some point of last year

Neither Iowa St not K State did
They don't again this year.

Iowa State is not bad when they play hard like the other night and are supposed to be getting a pretty good player back. I been lurking on their board and some of their knowledgeable fans are pretty high on them to compete with the best on certain nights.

Iowa State is not bad when they play hard like the other night and are supposed to be getting a pretty good player back. I been lurking on their board and some of their knowledgeable fans are pretty high on them to not challenge the top standings but to compete with the best on certain nights.

TCU, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State stand in their way

Those three pretty much will determine where the top finish and if the bottom feeders have any chance to earn respectability.

But losing to Iowa St and K State will pretty much mean you have zero chance

You expect Baylor to go 4-0 against those schools

Reactions: Big ol arms
Iowa State is not bad when they play hard like the other night and are supposed to be getting a pretty good player back. I been lurking on their board and some of their knowledgeable fans are pretty high on them to compete with the best on certain nights.

Getting a player back soon has nothing to do with the quality of team they put on the court the other night. Which was a team had just gotten worked by K-State.

Btw, let's not leave out the fact that WV had a massive foul disparity in their favor vs ISU.

Reactions: Big ol arms
Getting a player back soon has nothing to do with the quality of team they put on the court the other night. Which was a team had just gotten worked by K-State.

Btw, let's not leave out the fact that WV had a massive foul disparity in their favor vs ISU.

Oh no doubt, we should have lost that game. We got lucky as hell. Like I said, we play to the level of our competition more than any year I can remember. We almost had Gonzaga, dominated Richmond and nearly lost to some bad teams like Iowa State. It's going to be one of those type of seasons.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Just matters the year

When WVU finished tenth in 2018-2019 the Big 12 didn't really have any bottom feeders
You beat Kansas that year and knocked out Tx Tech in the tournament

But K State is rebuilding and Iowa St hasn't replaced the talent they had in 2018-2019

I expect both programs to remove themselves in the near future
Maybe by next year. Just hard to see it this year because the conference is so tough

I would worry about Mccormick's matchup with WVUs bigs

WVU is the polar opposite of Oklahoma State or even Tech

WVU doesn't mind throwing 2 Centers on the Floor. They are an Odd duck in today's game

Kansas usually has the depth to match up with anyone.
With WVU if they throw two bigs on the floor.
Or
Oklahoma St is they throw 5 guards out there and use Cunningham as a 5

Like I have said. I would like to see WVU go small at times.
Use Gabe as a 5.

Dude score 20 points on 6/6 shooting in the first half for WVU and they’re only up 1. Lock that dude down the 2nd half. Face guard him.

Finally, Mcneil is shooting like we all know he can. Hopefully Sherman can get hot too in the 2nd half. Sherman is actually our best shooter.

Dude score 20 points on 6/6 shooting in the first half for WVU and they’re only up 1. Lock that dude down the 2nd half. Face guard him.
Would it matter? They guarded him well the last 10 minutes and he still hit two with a man in his face and a 35 foot bank shot. Sometimes it’s just your day and the stats work out for you. Of course we should have somebody in his face, cause the rest of that team can’t shoot.. but this guy obviously sacrificed a few goats to the basketball gods pregame. Not sure we can shut him down completely.

30% shooter is 7/7 in one half. Typical indeed.

He's not playing this much because of his defense. He is a very streaky shooter and although he hasn't shot well this season, the potential is always there for him to go off.

30% shooter is 7/7 in one half. Typical indeed.
Happened the last game with Shannon or whatever his name was for Tech. He made two all year and suddenly he’s hitting jumpers left and right against us. Including the go-ahead 3 with a hand in his face at the end of the game. Seems to me that these types dial it in against us all the time.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Finally, Mcneil is shooting like we all know he can. Hopefully Sherman can get hot too in the 2nd half. Sherman is actually our best shooter.
He’s not shooting “like we all know he can”. Shooting like you know he can is shooting something like 3-5 or 4-7 over the course of the game. 7-7 from 3 is a once a career type night for even good shooters. To do it in only one half is just unheard of. That’s not something you expect or know somebody can do. That’s just a guy shooting his shot and the oddness of statistics giving him his lottery night.

Reactions: HawksJ
March is going to be very interesting. It's going to be the Big 10 and Big 12 invitational, plus Gonzaga

He’s not shooting “like we all know he can”. Shooting like you know he can is shooting something like 3-5 or 4-7 over the course of the game. 7-7 from 3 is a once a career type night for even good shooters. To do it in only one half is just unheard of. That’s not something you expect or know somebody can do. That’s just a guy shooting his shot and the oddness of statistics giving him his lottery night.

Ok, don't be mad. You guys will still win. Kansas started out really hot and it will happen again.

Imagine what they’d be saying if Braun or Agbaji were 7-7. And they’ve actually proven to be quality shooters.

Man, Kansas fans sure are sensitive. So unfair because one guy is playing out of his mind. Like I said the other day, it will be pure luck if we win. You guys got this.

Reactions: hawkit3113
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT