ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers '18/'19

KisteK

Feb 3, 2012
I wanted to start this thread closer to December 1st, but …. I forget stuff easily.
:oops:
Just read that Quade Green is transferring out of Kentucky.
Who else is on the move?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Micah Potter with the strange inner-conference team swap..

That's not too common, right?

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Just a bunch of ho-hum players at this point. Most of these guys announced in October or November... should have a few more come out in the upcoming weeks.

Ian Steere- NC State (to St.John's)
Micah Potter- Ohio State (to Wisconsin)
Elijah Burns- Notre Dame (to Siena)
Antwan Walker- Georgetown (to Rhode Island)
Melo Eggleston- Wake Forest (to Arkansas State)
Anthony Oliver- Clemson (to Old Dominion)
Dylan Painter- Villanova
Dedoch Chan- Nebraska

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

Pretty rare, I'd say. Seen a few times with grad transfers - Caleb Albrecht to Purdue via Michigan, and Cam Johnson to UNC via Pitt. Not sure I can remember one off the top of my head that sat out for a year, though. Not counting Mike Gbinije since Syracuse was in the Big East when MG sat out.

Reactions: KisteK
Pretty rare, I'd say. Seen a few times with grad transfers - Caleb Albrecht to Purdue via Michigan, and Cam Johnson to UNC via Pitt. Not sure I can remember one off the top of my head that sat out for a year, though. Not counting Mike Gbinije since Syracuse was in the Big East when MG sat out.

Didn't Dakich's kid transfer from Michigan to Ohio State?

There’s some chatter that the 5 star freshman PG at Villanova isn’t happy and could be leaving. I forget his name and I’m to lazy to look it up.

@hailtoyourvictor, Quade could be another gem like Mathews.
tenor.gif

Seems like kind of a big loss for UK, lose arguably your best shooter on a team that doesn't really shoot it that well.

Losing a 5'10" off guard that can't defend or really do much of anything well isn't a loss. A former PG with a horrid A/TO ratio. Addition by subtraction.
He's your best shooter on volume this season. How is that "can't really do much of anything well"?

I don't think he's trying to define volume. Based on volume, using the standard definition, he's saying he's your top shooter.

Reactions: PHXDukie
I don't think he's trying to define volume. Based on volume, using the standard definition, he's saying he's your top shooter.
My point was that he's not scoring enough for it to make a bit of difference. 1.2 made 3s per game isn't helping anything (that was his average last year, too). Besides, what he gives up on the defensive end certainly doesn't make up for anything he does offensively. Herro is shooting like shit at the moment, but at least he can rebound and gets in passing lanes.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
yes, considering your other options
Herro will come around. Shit, right now their biggest threats from 3 are Washington and Travis. How sad is that? Laughing Johnson and Quickley shoot it well enough to keep a defense honest. It's just not part of Calipari's offense. Just like last year, they are near the bottom of college basketball in 3s attempted.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
Per Kenpom, Green was used on more possessions than Herro, Quickley, or Hagans. He's actually considered a "Significant Contributor", whereas Herro is a "Role Player" and Quickley and Hagans have "Limited Roles."

The only player to make more threes than Green was Herro, who was 12 of 44, for 27%. So one more three with 18 more attempts.

Regarding his size, that's fair. Kentucky's best teams are usually the tallest in the country, and Green significantly hurts you there.

Reactions: PHXDukie
Per Kenpom, Green was used on more possessions than Herro, Quickley, or Hagans. He's actually considered a "Significant Contributor", whereas Herro is a "Role Player" and Quickley and Hagans have "Limited Roles."

The only player to make more threes than Green was Herro, who was 12 of 44, for 27%. So one more three with 18 more attempts.

Regarding his size, that's fair. Kentucky's best teams are usually the tallest in the country, and Green significantly hurts you there.
Per me, I have watched all their games and can say without question that Green contributes significantly less than what he gives up. I don't know how Kenpom comes up with his formulas, but Herro is much more of a contributor, even when his shot isn't falling.

UK is currently 334 out of 350 teams in 3pt attempts and 320th in total 3s made.

That would tell me they need Green to shoot more, not less.

But anyway, regarding Kentucky's best and worst teams, there's a strong correlation with average height of the team. Having the 44th tallest team this season doesn't look good for you.

Kentucky's Best Seasons
2012 - 2nd tallest team in the nation (Champs)
2014 - Tallest team in the nation (Runner up)
2015 - Tallest team in the nation (Final Four)

Kentucky's Worst Seasons:
2013 - 22nd tallest team in the nation (NIT 1st round)
2016 - 167th tallest team in the nation (Second Round)

This season? 44th tallest team.

That would tell me they need Green to shoot more, not less.

But anyway, regarding Kentucky's best and worst teams, there's a strong correlation with average height of the team. Having the 44th tallest team this season doesn't look good for you.

Kentucky's Best Seasons
2012 - 2nd tallest team in the nation (Champs)
2014 - Tallest team in the nation (Runner up)
2015 - Tallest team in the nation (Final Four)

Kentucky's Worst Seasons:
2013 - 22nd tallest team in the nation (NIT 1st round)
2016 - 167th tallest team in the nation (Second Round)

This season? 44th tallest team.
Like I said, addition by subtraction. They should benefit by getting an unathletic, undersized 2 guard out of the line-up. Certainly doesn't help with depth though. Herro is going to be playing nearly the entire game now.

Reactions: Scotty00
Like I said, addition by subtraction. They should benefit by getting an unathletic, undersized 2 guard out of the line-up. Certainly doesn't help with depth though. Herro is going to be playing nearly the entire game now.
Hopefully Baker is good to go now. He a better shooter than Green and will hopefully take his minutes.

Hopefully Baker is good to go now. He a better shooter than Green and will hopefully take his minutes.
Maybe, but I'm skeptical that he will ever see minutes. I'm not sure he can do anything other than shoot. At this point, may as well give him a try though. Nothing else is working.

We had one back in the day. Luke axtell tranferred from Texas to us. Sat out the year, lost the year of eligibility and had 2 yrs left. Didn’t do shite those two years but was still an inner-conference swap

Losing a 5'10" off guard that can't defend or really do much of anything well isn't a loss. A former PG with a horrid A/TO ratio. Addition by subtraction.
I doubt that y’all beat VMI without Green, you can’t say that for any other of your guards against any team. He was the main reason you won that game.

Per me, I have watched all their games and can say without question that Green contributes significantly less than what he gives up. I don't know how Kenpom comes up with his formulas, but Herro is much more of a contributor, even when his shot isn't falling.
this is true. Green had a horrible game Saturday. He was a turn over factory.

Kentucky fans always downplay transfers or lost recruits.

Green may not be what you expected, but I guarantee that, going into next season, your takes would not have been "Dumping Green would be addition by subtraction."

Kentucky fans always downplay transfers or lost recruits.

Green may not be what you expected, but I guarantee that, going into next season, your takes would not have been "Dumping Green would be addition by subtraction."
I have watched every game and Green was not making many contributions to the team. He was not as good as he was last year. So I don't know what your post means except you are trying to blame Kentucky fans for something. When was UK last transfer mid season? Damned I really can't remember one.

ADVERTISEMENT