ADVERTISEMENT

Time to revisit the should Zion play question?

You are thinking as a fan though. He isn't.
By all indications, Zion loves him teammates and the program. It's killing him that he's not out there right now.

If he was 100% in game shape by Saturday, he would play but he's just going to start practicing this week so its a quick turnaround.

You are thinking as a fan though. He isn't.
By all indications, Zion loves him teammates and the program. It's killing him that he's not out there right now.

If he was 100% in game shape by Saturday, he would play but he's just going to start practicing this week so its a quick turnaround.

I have no doubt he loves his teammates. He still doesn’t see the game the same as fans in terms of the big picture. He isn’t a Duke fan like you are a Duke fan.

I have no doubt he loves his teammates. He still doesn’t see the game the same as fans in terms of the big picture. He isn’t a Duke fan like you are a Duke fan.

Not sure I completely agree with this. Can we measure fandom with experience?

UT has some pretty intense bandwagon fans. SmokinSmile

Not sure I completely agree with this. Can we measure fandom with experience?

UT has some pretty intense bandwagon fans. SmokinSmile

Zion cares a lot about winning at Duke right now. He also will most assuredly keep hoping they win when he leaves. He hasn’t been a Duke fan his whole life and won’t ‘live and die’ with their games when he is playing pro ball though. These guys don’t see things like we do IMO.

Zion cares a lot about winning at Duke right now. He also will most assuredly keep hoping they win when he leaves. He hasn’t been a Duke fan his whole life and won’t ‘live and die’ with their games when he is playing pro ball though. These guys don’t see things like we do IMO.
Everyone becomes a die hard fan at some point.

Everyone becomes a die hard fan at some point.

Of something sure. Not necessarily a college basketball team though.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I bet you said that 2 years go. Well I do hope we get to see you guys.

I said on here all year I thought UNC was the best team in the country. UK was right there too and Y'all won by a bucket. Both of those teams were great.

This year I think UK is a better team and a better matchup for UNC. Cam Johnson is the one guy I don't think UK has a great answer for but I could say the same thing for PJ on our end.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Unlikely to happen, but if Louisville beats UVA, might be worth playing Zion. A regular season title could be on the line - and the chance at the 1 seed in the ACC Tournament. If UVA wins, it's kind of a moot point - Duke would be a 2 or 3 seed regardless of the outcome, and would likely have another shot at UNC in the ACCT.

Unlikely to happen, but if Louisville beats UVA, might be worth playing Zion. A regular season title could be on the line - and the chance at the 1 seed in the ACC Tournament. If UVA wins, it's kind of a moot point - Duke would be a 2 or 3 seed regardless of the outcome, and would likely have another shot at UNC in the ACCT.

Completely agree, but that would make it a game time decision. We seem to hear earlier in the day if Zion is playing or not.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Completely agree, but that would make it a game time decision. We seem to hear earlier in the day if Zion is playing or not.

True. I'd say that scenario isn't very realistic, especially considering how the UVA game might finish shortly after the Duke/UNC tipoff. But, I seriously might approach it that way if I were coaching.

Reactions: sgrooms
True. I'd say that scenario isn't very realistic, especially considering how the UVA game might finish shortly after the Duke/UNC tipoff. But, I seriously might approach it that way if I were coaching.

So would you have him come off the bench once the UVA UL game is final?

It's not that easy to sit a big man for 2.5 weeks and then just put him back into a game for 25 minutes.

So would you have him come off the bench once the UVA UL game is final?

If the game was still being decided and UL ended up winning, then yes. But that might come off as strange, being that invested in the outcome of another game. I doubt any coach would ever do anything like that.

If the game was still being decided and UL ended up winning, then yes. But that might come off as strange, being that invested in the outcome of another game. I doubt any coach would ever do anything like that.

It would be bad optics, for sure. He's either healthy enough to play or he isn't.

Reactions: dukedevilz
It's not that easy to sit a big man for 2.5 weeks and then just put him back into a game for 25 minutes.
Why? In a little shorter period, but seemingly worse injury. Bagley came back and played 31 minutes his first game back and was the best player on the court. Williamson is a freak athlete, no reason to believe that 25 minutes in his first game back would be too much for him.

Why? In a little shorter period, but seemingly worse injury. Bagley came back and played 31 minutes his first game back and was the best player on the court. Williamson is a freak athlete, no reason to believe that 25 minutes in his first game back would be too much for him.

You're right. I'm sure Williamson will be back Sat and go for 20 and 20 on his way to leading Duke to another natty.

You're right. I'm sure Williamson will be back Sat and go for 20 and 20 on his way to leading Duke to another natty.
I should know by now that you just make rhetorical statements and have no interest in discussing the points you try to make. Was just asking for your reasoning while giving my opinion. Carry on.

I should know by now that you just make rhetorical statements and have no interest in discussing the points you try to make. Was just asking for your reasoning while giving my opinion. Carry on.

My reasoning is that big men generally put a lot more stress on their legs, particularly on their knees, and as such it is generally prudent to ease them back into action.

25 minutes for Williamson still leaves a big hole for duke as he usually plays the whole game or close to it.

25 minutes for Williamson still leaves a big hole for duke as he usually plays the whole game or close to it.

Give me Williamson for the entire second half of a game and I'll consider that a win.

I've always wondered what it would be like to not have the ability to think critically. Williamson minutes in big games:

Kentucky - 23 (early blow out)
Gonzaga - 37
TT - 25 (foul trouble)
FSU - 17 (injury)
Virginia - 38
@Virginia - 36
@Lou - 32
UNC - .5 (lol)

When healthy and available he plays big minutes against the best teams (as do Barrett, Reddish and Jones). No one cares that he got plenty of rest against Holy Cross in November.

I've always wondered what it would be like to not have the ability to think critically. Williamson minutes in big games:

Gonzaga - 37
TT - 25 (foul trouble)
FSU - 17 (injury)
Virginia - 38
@Virginia - 36
@Lou - 32
UNC - .5 (lol)

When healthy and available he plays big minutes against the best teams (as do Barrett, Reddish and Jones). No one cares that he got plenty of rest against Holy Cross in November.
Touché. Until the past ten games were brought up after I quoted you, I actually didn't realize that he was playing as many minutes as he has been. That's typical of Krzyzewski later in the year. I should have looked deeper. All said and done, I would take 25 minutes over zero.

He has been listed as out vs unc, so that can be put to rest.

Reactions: lerario
Touché. Until the past ten games were brought up after I quoted you, I actually didn't realize that he was playing as many minutes as he has been. That's typical of Krzyzewski later in the year. I should have looked deeper. All said and done, I would take 25 minutes over zero.

He has been listed as out vs unc, so that can be put to rest.

I thought K said that decision would be made Friday. This feels like a rope-a-dope

Gonzaga - 37
TT - 25 (foul trouble)
FSU - 17 (injury)
Virginia - 38
@Virginia - 36
@Lou - 32
UNC - .5 (lol)

Did you delete your other post? I didn't realize a quote could be deleted when the quoted post is deleted.

giphy.gif

He's playing.

ADVERTISEMENT