ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts?

hailtoyourvictor

Dec 11, 2012
My wife played on the women’s club rugby team in college. One of her teammates transitioned to a male (testosterone treatment). She continued to play on the women’s rugby team, though. However she is competing in the Mr. Upper Peninsula pageant.

Seems weird. She’s a woman for rugby but a man for pagaents?

Seems like you have a problem with the Mr. Upper Peninsula pageant rules.

She's competing on the women's rugby team while also competing for Mr. Upper Peninsula? Or did she compete on the women's rugby team while transitioning, stop, and then enter the Mr. Upper Peninsula competition after 'completing' her transition?

She's competing on the women's rugby team while also competing for Mr. Upper Peninsula? Or did she compete on the women's rugby team while transitioning, stop, and then enter the Mr. Upper Peninsula competition after 'completing' her transition?

She was already transitioned while competing on the woman's rugby team.

Then a couple years later she competed for Mr. Upper Peninsula.

She shouldn’t be allowed in the dude contest or the rugby team. Once you transition you gain an upper hand against the women. I guess I don’t mind her in the men’s contest but, she’s not really a guy. I could care less as long as she’s not hurting the women competing as actual women.

If legally she qualified as a woman while rugby, fine.

If he legally competes as a man in male competition, fine.

If a competitor has a distinct advantage with hormones would be the only time I think there needs to be governance.

However, neither of these two "competitions" is very important overall, so it's most likely going to be a Big Deal to a lot of whomevers.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
If legally she qualified as a woman while rugby, fine.

If he legally competes as a man in male competition, fine.

If a competitor has a distinct advantage with hormones would be the only time I think there needs to be governance.

However, neither of these two "competitions" is very important overall, so it's most likely going to be a Big Deal to a lot of whomevers.

Having transitioned with testosterone is probably a distinct advantage in a sport like rugby.

I just think it's odd the in one case she is a woman in the other is a man, no?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Having transitioned with testosterone is probably a distinct advantage in a sport like rugby.

I just think it's odd the in one case she is a woman in the other is a man, no?

I can't imagine why other competitors would be okay with someone having that type of advantage, but good for them (I suppose?).

It's different, but if it's over a few years span it might have just taken time for this person to feel comfortable or confident in themself.

I can't imagine why other competitors would be okay with someone having that type of advantage, but good for them (I suppose?).

It's different, but if it's over a few years span it might have just taken time for this person to feel comfortable or confident in themself.

From what I gather from the wife, she was pretty proud about being a man once she transitioned. She was just already on the woman's team so chose to keep playing on the woman's team.

Once he became a he, playing womens sports is total BS IMO. If the others were okay with it, I guess I have no right to complain.

Still seems like testosterone supplements take a good portion of the competition and self improvement through hard work out of the equation.
Agree. I suspect continuing to play on a women's rugby team was b/c it was a fun activity and he enjoyed the community. It's not like it's a sanctioned NCAA sport, after all. Most of us have played pick-up tackle football without equipment and with some kid 3 years younger and half the average weight in the mix.

And I suspect allowing him to continue to play was b/c the testosterone therapy had not yet yielded results constituting an unfair advantage.

Agree. I suspect continuing to play on a women's rugby team was b/c it was a fun activity and he enjoyed the community. It's not like it's a sanctioned NCAA sport, after all. Most of us have played pick-up tackle football without equipment and with some kid 3 years younger and half the average weight in the mix.

And I suspect allowing him to continue to play was b/c the testosterone therapy had not yet yielded results constituting an unfair advantage.

How many times have any of us played pick-up tackle football with a group of women and no other men? Zero times for me, personally.

She was fully transitioned by her junior and senior seasons.

I'm just pointing out how silly your hypothetical was. Playing pickup football as a boy with a kid a few years young does not = playing pickup football as a man with a group full of only women.
A transman early in his testosterone therapy is a pretty good approximation of playing pick-up football with a kid "a few years young [sic]" (and "half the weight" -- I noticed you left out "half the weight"). Besides, the hypothetical was about the loose nature of conditions we accept when it's not super-sanctioned and serious. The lack of proper American football equipment was just as relevant. Nothing but low-hanging (sackless) fruit for you, though.

A transman early in his testosterone therapy is a pretty good approximation of playing pick-up football with a kid "a few years young [sic]" (and "half the weight" -- I noticed you left out "half the weight"). Besides, the hypothetical was about the loose nature of conditions we accept when it's not super-sanctioned and serious. The lack of proper American football equipment was just as relevant. Nothing but low-hanging (sackless) fruit for you, though.

I've never played pickup football with anyone half my weight. Or a group of women. You have?

It wasn't early in her transition. She was transitioned.

I've never played pickup football with anyone half my weight. Or a group of women. You have?

It wasn't early in her transition. She was transitioned.
If you've never played pick-up American football where somebody stood out as very out of place and overmatched, it was probably you.

You really don't see the irony in telling me "She was transitioned," do you? What faith can any reasonable person have that you have the slightest clue what that even means? If you know this situation so intimately that you know about the cycle of testosterone therapy, you're an even more disrespectful, hateful person than I thought.

If you've never played pick-up American football where somebody stood out as very out of place and overmatched, it was probably you.

You really don't see the irony in telling me "She was transitioned," do you? What faith can any reasonable person have that you have the slightest clue what that even means? If you know this situation so intimately that you know about the cycle of testosterone therapy, you're an even more disrespectful, hateful person than I thought.

So you HAVE played pick up football games with kids half your weight? Now I get where your superiority complex may have developed.

It isn't my opinion that she was transitioned I've never met the girl. She herself considered herself transitioned, which is where the confusion of her choosing to play women's rugby confuses me.

Reactions: jace46555
So you HAVE played pick up football games with kids half your weight? Now I get where your superiority complex may have developed.

It isn't my opinion that she was transitioned I've never met the girl. She herself considered herself transitioned, which is where the confusion of her choosing to play women's rugby confuses me.
Not only were you probably the oblivious pipsqueak everyone had to be mindful not to hurt, you also appear to be oblivious of how neighborhood kids don't set up weight divisions and concussion protocol and OSHA standards before playing a game of pick-up American football.

I've already given an explanation of why someone who has transitioned would still participate in pre-transition activity.

Really, this seems like something you're too scared to talk about with your wife. She was on the team. Why not start a fight with her over it and show her what kind of man she actually married?

Reactions: Matt Laurer
You haven’t? I thought you were an All American type small town/suburban kind of kid. Did you not grow up with kids all around that you played with?

I played pick up football up football with kids a year or to young to a year or two older. We were all close enough to the same size that I can't think of anyone that was half the weight of anyone else.

Regardless, I don't think that is the same as an adult man playing tackle football with a group full of women.

Not only were you probably the oblivious pipsqueak everyone had to be mindful not to hurt, you also appear to be oblivious of how neighborhood kids don't set up weight divisions and concussion protocol and OSHA standards before playing a game of pick-up American football.

I've already given an explanation of why someone who has transitioned would still participate in pre-transition activity.

Really, this seems like something you're too scared to talk about with your wife. She was on the team. Why not start a fight with her over it and show her what kind of man she actually married?

Haha. Are you resorting to insults? If so, work on it.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The real question is....if you dated this gal in high school, does it now make you gay? Do you have to answer yes if someone asked you if you slept with a man?

Like at a high school reunion, would it be weird to say I used to **** the shit out of that dude!!!

Reactions: treyforuk
ADVERTISEMENT