ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Arizona?

I have Zona winning that region. But I'm also an idiot.

Bama is a very talented team that plays an intelligent brand of basketball, but I think they fail to adjust too rigidly and can’t win 6 straight to get it done.

National championship winning teams can play many brands of basketball at a high level, and Bama has 1 that they’re really good at.

Arizona has the pieces but they're just not consistent enough on defense. When they give effort, they're a top three team but then the next game will give up 10 3's because they're standing around, not closing out, not chasing down balls. It's very frustrating. Sure, it could happen but I don't have a lot of confidence and wouldn't be surprised to see them get knocked out before even facing Bama.

The big concern against Bama is their athletes. Tubelis is great and all but he's old school Euro and by that I mean soft. You smack him around a little bit and he gets alligator arms on layups and all the sudden starts shriveling up like a little B@#$%

Arizona has the pieces but they're just not consistent enough on defense. When they give effort, they're a top three team but then the next game will give up 10 3's because they're standing around, not closing out, not chasing down balls. It's very frustrating. Sure, it could happen but I don't have a lot of confidence and wouldn't be surprised to see them get knocked out before even facing Bama.

The big concern against Bama is their athletes. Tubelis is great and all but he's old school Euro and by that I mean soft. You smack him around a little bit and he gets alligator arms on layups and all the sudden starts shriveling up like a little B@#$%
The other disadvantage Zona will have is not playing their home court where they get a friendly whistle. 24 pts of their score came from FF when we played them. We scored only 8 pts.

You're still whining about that Della? Same thing happened in Knoxville the year before. Get over it, dude

• Haha
Reactions: jhmossy
Arizona has that kid Ramey who I've personally never seen play well in a big game.

I live at the beach in California. Everyone is a dude
d076d8f8-f2fc-444f-87d6-b3de9a596c35_text.gif

You're still whining about that Della? Same thing happened in Knoxville the year before. Get over it, dude
No, I just started whining about it. 3-1 in Zona was way above Knoxville.

No, I just started whining about it. 3-1 in Zona was way above Knoxville.

The disparity in whistles was exactly the same. 24 fouls to 15 this year. Last year, 27-18 in favor of Tennessee.

Home teams always get more calls. Especially in a raucous environment.

Arizona got a really good draw imo. No one on their path to the elite 8 is a big time slow it down team, most of them are offense first, higher paced team.

I think they're way more susceptible against a team that can slow it down and slug it out in the half court.

The disparity in whistles was exactly the same. 24 fouls to 15 this year. Last year, 27-18 in favor of Tennessee.

Home teams always get more calls. Especially in a raucous environment.
UT shot 10 FF and Zona shot 27.

They don't defend well enough to make the Final Four IMO

Talented team though, they won't be an easy out.

Last edited:
UT shot 10 FF and Zona shot 27.

It’s not like the refs arbitrarily decide how many FTs a player shoots. Looks like several of those FTs happened after Tennessee started purposely fouling too.

At the end of the day, the foul disparity was the same in both games. Just further proof that home teams tend to get more calls. It’s as simple as that. Crowds influence calls. Even Borden will tell you that.

It’s not like the refs arbitrarily decide how many FTs a player shoots. Looks like several of those FTs happened after Tennessee started purposely fouling too.

At the end of the day, the foul disparity was the same in both games. Just further proof that home teams tend to get more calls. It’s as simple as that. Crowds influence calls. Even Borden will tell you that.
Isn't that what I initially said, "Zona won't get a friendly home whistle"?

Zona may be the KU of this year. KU last year was very inconsistent defensively most of the season but turned it on in March. Zona has had stretches of the season with very good defense and stretches of very bad defense. If they can put in a stretch of good defense next 6 games they can win it all.

Tommy Lloyd is a choke artist, two consecutive years that his team heavily underperformed in the tournament, and excuses are starting to run out.

Tommy Lloyd is a choke artist, two consecutive years that his team heavily underperformed in the tournament, and excuses are starting to run out.
Tommy did exceed preseason expectations in his first and second year. Arizona wasn’t ranked in the preseason during his first year and he ended up with a 1 seed team that eventually lost to preseason number 15 ranked Houston.

Arizona was ranked preseason number 17 this past year and he ended up as a 2 seed. So again he exceeded expectations. I think his career as a head coach has been too short to call him a choke artist just yet.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Tommy did exceed preseason expectations in his first and second year. Arizona wasn’t ranked in the preseason during his first year and he ended up with a 1 seed team that eventually lost to preseason number 15 ranked Houston.

Arizona was ranked preseason number 17 this past year and he ended up as a 2 seed. So again he exceeded expectations. I think his career as a head coach has been too short to call him a choke artist just yet.

That clown's whole schtick is to label every coach but K a choke artist, forgetting that his buddy choked a zillion times himself, with more talent than anybody else.

It's a lot easier to lose with average rosters that overachieved than rosters full of lottery picks.

Arizona had flaws and I didn't think they were a contender but losing to Princeton is inexcusable. Last year's loss to Houston doesn't bother me as much. They were the youngest team in the country and didn't know how to respond to getting punched in the mouth by a tough squad. That being said, winning a lot of games in the regular season and getting bounced early can't be an every year deal. Eventually Lloyd will need to figure out how to sustain a March run or the choke artist label will be there for real

That clown's whole schtick is to label every coach but K a choke artist, forgetting that his buddy choked a zillion times himself, with more talent than anybody else.

It's a lot easier to lose with average rosters that overachieved than rosters full of lottery picks.
Thanks. I have no idea what @thebasketballreasons agenda is, but I’m a Creighton fan first and an Arizona fan second since I live here and it’s my wife’s alma mater. That being said, this tournament was crazy.

Yet, he won 5 NC’s. Maybe it is harder than you think.

Regular season success doesnt matter if you consistently chokes in March. Yeah I get that its hard to win in tournaments, but theres a difference between occasional upsets vs routine chokes. Tommy Lloyd's team was a 1 seed losing to 5 seed in his 1st year, and we can give him a pass for that. Theres just no excuse left after losing to 15 seed Princeton, Tommy Lloyd should really thank Matt Painter for choking harder which took away the headlines that could've been his. Hes already on course to become one of the worst choke artists of all time, and we will see how he can turn this ship around in the next few years.

Reactions: englandnu
Your statement doesn’t make a lot of sense. Two years is not “consistently.” It’s too small a sample. I’m not making excuses for his performance but you can’t call something “routine” if it’s only happened twice. If a rookie QB misses on his first two passes, he’s not consistently missing his receivers, he’s just started the game with two bad throws. It’s cool you aren’t a fan of Lloyd, there’s a lot of coaches I’m not down with. I don’t need to try and convince you on anything. But come with a more sensical argument

Your statement doesn’t make a lot of sense. Two years is not “consistently.” It’s too small a sample. I’m not making excuses for his performance but you can’t call something “routine” if it’s only happened twice. If a rookie QB misses on his first two passes, he’s not consistently missing his receivers, he’s just started the game with two bad throws. It’s cool you aren’t a fan of Lloyd, there’s a lot of coaches I’m not down with. I don’t need to try and convince you on anything. But come with a more sensical argument
Horrible, knee-jerk reactions are kind of his thing. Pretty soon he’ll be gone until next March.

ADVERTISEMENT