ADVERTISEMENT

The true Champions Classic

Something changed for duke and uk post 2015.
Since then:

Tourney wins:
Nova 14-2
UNC 14-3
Gonzaga 12-4
Kansas 11-4
Virginia 10-3
Kentucky 9-4
Duke 9-4

Record:
Gonzaga 161-21
Nova 153-30
Kansas 149-31
Virginia 141-32
Kentucky 140-39
Duke 139-40
UNC 135-51

From 2009-10 season to 2015
Tourney Wins
Kentucky 22-4
Duke 17-4
Kansas 14-6
UNC 10-5
Gonzaga 8-6
Virginia 3-3
Nova 3-5

Record
Kentucky 190-38
Duke 185-36
Kansas 183-38
Gonzaga 179-34
UNC 156-64
Nova 141-61
Virginia 135-64

Good stuff. Thoughts on why though?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Signing day and Draft night more important to cal and coach K these days. Cal has even said that draft night is the biggest day of the year for Uk basketball. I would be pretty shitty if my coach said that. Of course the sheep that is the BBN doesn’t care

Reactions: jhmossy
Cal has more success than Virginia and Auburn combined since he’s been at UK. Ouch

Not in terms of championships. But Cal coaches at UK. That's a basketball school. Auburn is a football school. UVA is a lacrosse/soccer/tennis/whitepersonsport school.

Cal and Bennett were hired at their respective schools in the same year. If someone asked you, "Do you think Cal and Bennett will have the same number of championships?", would you really have said yes?

Not in terms of championships. But Cal coaches at UK. That's a basketball school. Auburn is a football school. UVA is a lacrosse/soccer/tennis/whitepersonsport school.

Cal and Bennett were hired at their respective schools in the same year. If someone asked you, "Do you think Cal and Bennett will have the same number of championships?", would you really have said yes?

this. UK puts more into basketball than uva and auburn combined.

Two things have happened at Kentucky. We’ve stopped getting the very best freshman every year and we can’t get even our fringe guys to stick around long enough to become great college players.

Duke has the same issues. They’re getting more of the top guys than us. But having similar issues with transfers and fringe guys that should come back leaving. They did get hurt and Wendell Moore back. Both of those are a pretty big deal. Though other than Jalen Johnson they don’t have any other immediate stars coming in.

Nova has benefitted from the big East going basketball only. They had 1 30 win season and 1 conference title in 12 seasons of Jay Wright prior to the split, and have like 4 and 5 in 7 seasons since.

Except it’s not all about titles. Look at their total resumes and it’s not really that close.

Except it’s not all about titles. Look at their total resumes and it’s not really that close.
Umm the UK fans have always said championships are all that matters. If one title is all you want why did you ever get rid of tubby? Far better stand up guy than cal. Your players were respectable student athletes then. Now you are just a quick drive through.

Umm the UK fans have always said championships are all that matters. If one title is all you want why did you ever get rid of tubby? Far better stand up guy than cal. Your players were respectable student athletes then. Now you are just a quick drive through.
I have never said that. Link?

Yes, your ultimate goal is to win titles. But you can't compare resumes with one stat, even if it is the biggest one.

with the talent UK has had he should have won more than 1 by now. If he isn’t back to a final 4 in the next 3-4 years youe fanbase eill start giving him the tubby treatment

We are looking at titles and finals 4’s here the last few years. Start building teams for the long haul again and maybe we would have more respect for you. Duke in the 90s and 2000s was respectable. 3-4 year guys coming up through the ranks. Great team basketball. Then coach K sold out.

Sold out? You realize Duke almost exclusively recruits top 25 prospects. The difference now, of course, is top 25 guys don't stick around for three years anymore. In 2007, the first unofficial year of the OAD, you had 14 upperclassmen taken in the first round. Ten years later, there were only 5 upperclassmen drafted in the first round. Talented guys generally don't stick around longer than two years.

Here are all of the top 25 Juniors/Seniors that played in 2020. None of these guys were top 15 prospects:

Mustapha Heron, St.John's
Andrew Jones, Texas (leukemia survivor)
Nick Richards, Kentucky
Quade Green, Washington
MJ Walker, Florida State
Malik Williams, Louisville

more than duke and UK combined for the period we are talking about. Move along

Fun fact of the day: Christian Laettner has won four more games in the NCAA Tournament than Auburn has in its history.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
with the talent UK has had he should have won more than 1 by now. If he isn’t back to a final 4 in the next 3-4 years youe fanbase eill start giving him the tubby treatment
I agree with your first sentence but you need to do some research before you figure out why they have had different receptions from UK fans.

you know who's last in the champions classic? teams not in it, or even worsel POS teams who's never been able to win at least ONE championshi0p

you know who's last in the champions classic? teams not in it, or even worsel POS teams who's never been able to win at least ONE championshi0p

the champions classic participants seem to be doing a lot of under achieving.

I agree with your first sentence but you need to do some research before you figure out why they have had different receptions from UK fans.
Just keep keeping track of UK titles and there fans. No one is kicking HOF coach Calipari anywhere.

Sold out? You realize Duke almost exclusively recruits top 25 prospects. The difference now, of course, is top 25 guys don't stick around for three years anymore. In 2007, the first unofficial year of the OAD, you had 14 upperclassmen taken in the first round. Ten years later, there were only 5 upperclassmen drafted in the first round. Talented guys generally don't stick around longer than two years.

Here are all of the top 25 Juniors/Seniors that played in 2020. None of these guys were top 15 prospects:

Mustapha Heron, St.John's
Andrew Jones, Texas (leukemia survivor)
Nick Richards, Kentucky
Quade Green, Washington
MJ Walker, Florida State
Malik Williams, Louisville

Fun fact of the day: Christian Laettner has won four more games in the NCAA Tournament than Auburn has in its history.

So you keep getting beat by teams with less talent? Outside of when you play each other when is the last time duke or uK played a game in which they were less talented than their opponent.

So you keep getting beat by teams with less talent? Outside of when you play each other when is the last time duke or uK played a game in which they were less talented than their opponent.
You act as though recruiting and being top of mountain is a bad thing.
We have more failed Final foursthan AU has FF's

You are amazingly awesome at hiding behind other teams.

I'm a huge fan of your post(s)

hahaha. good one, have you seen their head to record at UL and UK?

bored, it's 11-2 and I'm giving vacated wins validation

If the talent levels were equal you would have a point here. Get rick the talent John has had the last 10 years and he has at least 3 titles

I say he’s probably tied for second. Him and Cal have pretty similar results

Nah. at a place like Kentucky rick is a vastly better coach than John. That tubby title should be attributed to rick. If not for miles Simon going crazy combined with a bad injury for UK perhaps yo wins 3 straight.

Nah. at a place like Kentucky rick is a vastly better coach than John. That tubby title should be attributed to rick. If not for miles Simon going crazy combined with a bad injury for UK perhaps yo wins 3 straight.
You're so desperate to talk shit. It's cute. Tell us more about UK and no other team. I like to think Anderson would be the key, but that's impossible. I'd also like to think Bogans would have guarded Wade.

*note. I'm not trying to be an asshole,justchatting.

Their statistics are nearly identical. I'm not sure how you could argue one has been far superior to the other. If you want to say Pitino inherited a tougher situation I would agree with that. But Cal didn't take over some elite team. And he's been here longer at this point. Its a toss up if anything.

You're so desperate to talk shit. It's cute. Tell us more about UK and no other team. I like to think Anderson would be the key, but that's impossible. I'd also like to think Bogans would have guarded Wade.

*note. I'm not trying to be an asshole,justchatting.

I am not talking shit about UK. A program like yours should expect more than cal.

Their statistics are nearly identical. I'm not sure how you could argue one has been far superior to the other. If you want to say Pitino inherited a tougher situation I would agree with that. But Cal didn't take over some elite team. And he's been here longer at this point. Its a toss up if anything.
Here.

UK-BANNERS2.jpg

UK-BANNERS.jpg

/Who hung more banners?

ADVERTISEMENT