ADVERTISEMENT

The Hot Seat

theetommyt

Mar 13, 2012
Who's seat is on fire for the 20-21 season?
In the BigTen

Fire:
Pitino - Minnesota
Warm:
Miller - Indiana
Turgeon - Maryland
Getting Warm:
Collins - Northwestern

In the BigTen

Fire:
Pitino - Minnesota
Warm:
Miller - Indiana
Turgeon - Maryland
Getting Warm:
Collins - Northwestern
Turgenev is surprising.Thought he was safe.Also would have thought Collins would be in the fire category

Other than Will Wade being on the hot seat in a federal court room, probably none in the SEC since half the coaches in the league have like 3 years of tenure.

Maryland just won a Big Ten title. Don't think he merits being on the hot seat at this point.

I feel like Pat Ewing might be on the hot seat. He's done a lot for Georgetown over the years, so that might buy him an extra season or two. But, Georgetown should have higher expectations - and he has not delivered, as of yet. They've also lost a boatload of transfers.

Shaka Smart needs to have an exceptional year, IMO. He has everyone back + a top 10 recruit, so he cannot flame out early in the NCAA's. Dude has been there for 5 years and still hasn't won a game in the tourney.

Turgenev is surprising.Thought he was safe.Also would have thought Collins would be in the fire category
Since he made the tournament, the results haven't been good, at all, but he did make the tournament at Northwestern. That bought him more time than usual probably.

Maryland just won a Big Ten title. Don't think he merits being on the hot seat at this point.
His seat is on fire. He probably got screwed the most out of not having a tournament because he had a good chance to advance to sweet 16, which would have quelled some of the noise. But as it stands he has made 1 sweet 16 in 9 years. Our expectations aren't crazy(some), but that isn't cutting it.

In the BigTen

Fire:
Pitino - Minnesota
Warm:
Miller - Indiana
Turgeon - Maryland
Getting Warm:
Collins - Northwestern
Pitino's done a good job of acquiring talent this Spring. Now we just have to wait on waiver decisions for Both Gach and Liam Robbins. I expect Gach to get one since he is from Minnesota. Robbins is a different story. If he gets a waiver, he greatly improves the upside of the team.

Pitino's done a good job of acquiring talent this Spring. Now we just have to wait on waiver decisions for Both Gach and Liam Robbins. I expect Gach to get one since he is from Minnesota. Robbins is a different story. If he gets a waiver, he greatly improves the upside of the team.

Per capita, Minnesota has an unreal amount of talent. This past season there was Daniel Oturu, Zeke Nnaji, Tre Jones, Matthew Hurt, Freddie Gillespie, McKinley Wright, Jericho Sims, Nate Reuvers, and Brad Davison. If Pitino can retain 25% of the top-end talent in the state, he could do wonders. Seems like not having another power school in the state could also be very beneficial.

Reactions: Yellow Man
Per capita, Minnesota has an unreal amount of talent. This past season there was Daniel Oturu, Zeke Nnaji, Tre Jones, Matthew Hurt, Freddie Gillespie, McKinley Wright, Jericho Sims, Nate Reuvers, and Brad Davison. If Pitino can retain 25% of the top-end talent in the state, he could do wonders. Seems like not having another power school in the state could also be very beneficial.

Race Thompson also Top 100 coming out of high school. Pitino is a potato though. Probably would have been fired if it wasn't for COVID

Reactions: dukedevilz
The PAC 12 is in a weird spot, I don't think any coach enters the 2020-2021 season on the hot seat.

I know Hurley is having issues with the administration at ASU which could cause him to leave but I really doubt that he will be fired.

Sean Miller may get on the hot seat if they underperform AND the NCAA sanctions them like Oklahoma State.

Possibly Tinkle at OSU or Hopkins at UW if they have really bad seasons. But I think it's entirely possible no PAC 12 coach is fired after the season.

wonder how all the rioting going on in MN right now will affect their FB and BB recruiting?

What program can afford to pay two coaches?
No coaches will be fired with all the budget shortfalls.

ADVERTISEMENT