ADVERTISEMENT

Texas/WV

🤣😂🤣😂

Not even going to touch the stupidity here.

Love it when a blue blood states how teams play better against them, like how “ou hasn’t played with this type of fire and motivation ever” knowing they haven’t watched OU all year anyways.

what’s does happen against blue bloods is that teams tend to lay down once they figure out they are overmatched and especially if they feel they are getting an unkind whistle.

Feels like TX is winning close games this year they may have lost in previous years. It could be the team is just better than previous ones, they do have a little more experience gained from those losses.

No doubt. Every college basketball team is more excited to face Texas than KU.

You’ve outdone yourself.RollLaughRollLaughRollLaugh

Now I gotta say, I don't watch as much hoops as I used to watch but....

That era on Big Monday the 9pm game was almost always a KU home game, and the opponents coming in there circled that game as the game of the year. KU has long home winning streaks and opponents know it, they want to break it, it is pretty obvious the road game @ KU is the game of the year for a lot of teams.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Now I gotta say, I don't watch as much hoops as I used to watch but....

That era on Big Monday the 9pm game was almost always a KU home game, and the opponents coming in there circled that game as the game of the year. KU has long home winning streaks and opponents know it, they want to break it, it is pretty obvious the road game @ KU is the game of the year for a lot of teams.

No arguing that’s it’s a bigger game, but circling a game on a calander don’t meant shot once the ball is tipped. Players don’t pick and choose when they have good games vs when they have bad games. If so, no player would ever have a bad game.

now obv games against cupcakes can be overlooked a lot of times, but I just don’t buy the notion that any player can decide they want to turn it up based on the opponent. If so they would learn to turn it upevery time out and go get drafted.

No arguing that’s it’s a bigger game, but circling a game on a calander don’t meant shot once the ball is tipped. Players don’t pick and choose when they have good games vs when they have bad games. If so, no player would ever have a bad game.

now obv games against cupcakes can be overlooked a lot of times, but I just don’t buy the notion that any player can decide they want to turn it up based on the opponent. If so they would learn to turn it upevery time out and go get drafted.

Yeah I don't think any player at the college level is good enough to choose when they play well and when they play like trash.

But you can't deny there is more focus for certain opponents leading up to a game Practices leading up to a game against a top team are probably more intense than when a lesser opponent is next up. There's more buzz on social media, players are human they are involved with that.

So a lot happens before the tip. Yeah once the game starts it's about the matchups, coaching, execution, and luck.

Yeah I don't think any player at the college level is good enough to choose when they play well and when they play like trash.

But you can't deny there is more focus for certain opponents leading up to a game Practices leading up to a game against a top team are probably more intense than when a lesser opponent is next up. There's more buzz on social media, players are human they are involved with that.

So a lot happens before the tip. Yeah once the game starts it's about the matchups, coaching, execution, and luck.

jsut saying all the“buzz” you mentioned doesn’t always relate to players playing better than usual. Some players wilt under pressure and play great with nothing on the line. Some thrive under pressure. But all in all I don’t think it matters much imo.

if anything I’d say it’s more of the better team overlooking the oppenent. I’ve seen games where the underdog has shot lights out, seemingly out of no where, but whose to say on that given night they would have been just as hot playing UscUpstate as if they were playing the big dog in their conference.

Last edited:
jsut saying all the“buzz” you mentioned doesn’t always relate to players playing better than usual. Some players wilt under pressure and play great with nothing on the line. Some thrive under pressure. But all in all I don’t think it matters much imo.

Not a psychologist, I mean dude I can't even explain my own behavior and thought processing on most anything from breakfast choice to what to watch on TV...

But I am a believer in the importance of the mental aspect in sports, individual and/or team contests.

As a fan, which opponent of UofL gets your attention more, BC or Duke/UNC/UK? I'm not attacking any player for struggling with the mental approach required to win games, we're all human.

Just did a quick google search "How Important is Mental Aspect of Sports", saw something interesting.

One link pointed to 5 mental muscles "essential for athletes".... Motivation/Confidence/Intensity/Focus/Mind-State....

Feels like TX is winning close games this year they may have lost in previous years. It could be the team is just better than previous ones, they do have a little more experience gained from those losses.

Experience will help them. Especially early on in a season like this

Not a psychologist, I mean dude I can't even explain my own behavior and thought processing on most anything from breakfast choice to what to watch on TV...

But I am a believer in the importance of the mental aspect in sports, individual and/or team contests.

As a fan, which opponent of UofL gets your attention more, BC or Duke/UNC/UK? I'm not attacking any player for struggling with the mental approach required to win games, we're all human.

Just did a quick google search "How Important is Mental Aspect of Sports", saw something interesting.

One link pointed to 5 mental muscles "essential for athletes".... Motivation/Confidence/Intensity/Focus/Mind-State....

Yea we are arguing the unprovable.

And as a UofL fan, UK gets my attention the most, yet we lose to them 75% of the time the last decade plus. How much it means doesn’t matter to who wins, unless it’s the better team not caring/overlooking.

Uconn ladies were everyone’s Super Bowl for a few straight years and still didn’t lose.

Yea we are arguing the unprovable.

And as a UofL fan, UK gets my attention the most, yet we lose to them 75% of the time the last decade plus. How much it means doesn’t matter to who wins, unless it’s the better team not caring/overlooking.

Uconn ladies were everyone’s Super Bowl for a few straight years and still didn’t lose.

I didn't think this was an argument I thought it was 2 people sharing thoughts.

The UCONN ladies college teams aren't of the same comparison as today's Men's College Basketball landscape. UCONN ladies dominance reminds me of the Bulls NBA era, they were just better and there was nothing opponents could do about that end of the day no matter their mental state/toughness.

There are no such dynasties in Men's college hoops these days right? Our top teams are... Gonzaga and Baylor? 10 years ago if I said that was coming how would that have been received by a college basketball message board?

Love it when a blue blood states how teams play better against them, like how “ou hasn’t played with this type of fire and motivation ever” knowing they haven’t watched OU all year anyways.

what’s does happen against blue bloods is that teams tend to lay down once they figure out they are overmatched and especially if they feel they are getting an unkind whistle.

Imagine facing TCU, and then going to Allen Fieldhouse to face a team that recently won your league 14 times in a row. Your take is that both get the same effort and intensity?

Brilliant.

Did you even read the comment you’re referring to? He said that OU brought more energy and focus than they’ve had all year. Not that they played their “best” game.

Kansas didn't have the talent to match up with Texas.

Before garbage time they played 2-3 players who wouldn't step on the floor at Texas this year.

The ceiling for Texas this year hasn't came close to being reached.
Mainly in their frontcourt with Greg Brown and Kai Jones.

Brown played like shit against Kansas...
Could go off for 25 in the second game

Eye test says you guys are better this year. Just depends on if our offense shows up or not if we can hang. Will be a good test for both teams.

They have the same issue as WVU does.
They have to show up against Texas and Baylor
Don't want to lose both of them.

Texas is the first so ultimately they get the first punches.

Expect a game that is competitive from the start. With both teams looking great at times
Similar to last year. The losing team last year had 10 point plus leads. I think Texas may have even had a 20 point lead and ended up losing the game.

Kansas didn't have the talent to match up with Texas.

Before garbage time they played 2-3 players who wouldn't step on the floor at Texas this year.

The ceiling for Texas this year hasn't came close to being reached.
Mainly in their frontcourt with Greg Brown and Kai Jones.

Brown played like shit against Kansas...
Could go off for 25 in the second game

Self’s teams tend to get better throughout the year, while Shaka usually peaks early. Several of KU’s most talented players haven’t even shown up yet.

Texas has an advantage in athleticism, and if they’re hitting 50% of their threes they’ll be tough for anybody to beat. Fortunately for the rest of the league, that probably won’t happen again. They made everything they threw up in the second half and KU bricked everything. Length was part of it but definitely not the whole story.

What you forget is that Texas has been loaded with talent/athleticism on a yearly basis and ultimately goes nowhere. This team appears to be different but it also won’t shock anyone if they finish with several more losses and are bounced early from the tourney.

Self’s teams tend to get better throughout the year, while Shaka usually peaks early. Several of KU’s most talented players haven’t even shown up yet.

Texas has an advantage in athleticism, and if they’re hitting 50% of their threes they’ll be tough for anybody to beat. Fortunately for the rest of the league, that probably won’t happen again. They made everything they threw up in the second half and KU bricked everything. Length was part of it but definitely not the whole story.

What you forget is that Texas has been loaded with talent/athleticism on a yearly basis and ultimately goes nowhere. This team appears to be different but it also won’t shock anyone if they finish with several more losses and are bounced early from the tourney.

You know you cannot post things into existence on a message board...

Self has said himself coaching is overrated.
All about the players

You know you cannot post things into existence on a message board...

Self has said himself coaching is overrated.
All about the players

Heard of coachspeak?

You’re right...Bennett and Beard had the best two rosters in the country that year.

Texas has had as much talent as KU and the same number of active NBA players, yet 1/10th the success. Just stop.

Heard of coachspeak?

You’re right...Bennett and Beard had the best two rosters in the country that year.

Texas has had as much talent as KU and the same number of active NBA players, yet 1/10th the success. Just stop.

Coach speak..

Players on the court win games and not coaches.
The job of coaches is to get the right players and get them to listen

As of right now the rosters of Baylor and Texas are better than Kansas
No matter how highly you think of Bill Self he can't change it this year.

Better chance Texas gets better by the end of the year than Kansas...

Because of Greg Brown and Kai Jones

Bill Self said it himself. Texas was the most athletic and talented front court KU played
Including Gonzaga and Kentucky.

There isn't any player on your team that can change this.

Reason why Bill Self did what he did to get the players...

Did you even read the comment you’re referring to? He said that OU brought more energy and focus than they’ve had all year. Not that they played their “best” game.

my apology, I thought he meant the game was so close bc OU played so hard and focused bc they were playing in almighty AFH and wouldn’t have anywhere near the performance in another gym.

Coach speak..

Players on the court win games and not coaches.
The job of coaches is to get the right players and get them to listen

As of right now the rosters of Baylor and Texas are better than Kansas
No matter how highly you think of Bill Self he can't change it this year.

Better chance Texas gets better by the end of the year than Kansas...

Because of Greg Brown and Kai Jones

Bill Self said it himself. Texas was the most athletic and talented front court KU played
Including Gonzaga and Kentucky.

There isn't any player on your team that can change this.

Reason why Bill Self did what he did to get the players...

Anybody who has any connections to the sport (or common sense) knows that virtually every top 100 player is getting something. Just count yourself lucky that Texas is Nike. You don’t have to look any further than the Zion situation to see the obvious inconsistency.

Silvio De Sousa and Billy Preston did jack and shit for KU.

The three pointer is the great equalizer. KU has the ability to consistently hit outside shots and Texas doesn’t. God knows that KU has been knocked out of the tourney enough times by an athletically inferior team that got hot from outside.

Texas is a veteran team that knows its roles + Greg Brown. KU is still trying to find its identity and determine roles. Self will have it sorted out in a month or so. We’ll find out if Texas is peaking early or can take it to another level.

Back to my question. Why has KU been so much more successful than Texas despite having the same level of talent?

Reactions: Villian07
Shaka will be the first to admit he made some mistakes.

VCU is totally different plus Anthony Grant did hand him the keys to something decent.

Shaka would have done some things different
Some of the issues weren't totally his fault. Andrew Jones going out. That 2017-2018 team with everyone had the chance to do some things.

That is all besides the point
Shaka has had a bunch of one and dones who didn't contribute that much. Different type of player.

Now he is combining NBA talent with experience guards
Before he had NBA talent with inexperience guards

Bill Self likes the same type of players Shaka likes...

Self hasn't gotten them and Shaka has three right now. .

You ever see Shaka's Rodman drill.
Calls it Rodman taps. But it is made for bouncy guys like Jericho Sims.

But....

Shaka was blessed.
The thing is he took advantage of it

Everyone knew Greg Brown was going to Texas. He was pretty much already in the program.
Shaka, Greg Brown's father and his uncle were already developing him to play at Texas and then the NBA

You don't get players in the 9th and 10th grade like that very often.
Especially ones fully committed to your program.

WVU cancels game with Baylor because of covid. Maybe it wasn't just the flu after all. Good luck Texas on not testing positive now.

Shaka gonna Shaka. His best team ever is stumbling heading into the homestretch. Expected but still a joy to watch

Reactions: duckboy33
Texas has talent but no coaching, they commit more fouls every game than the opponent and it isn't even close. WV had twenty something more free throws than Texas, just piss poor coaching.

Reactions: GE Nole
Shaka needs to comb that hair. Looks like a bunch of spiders are having a meeting up there.

Let's Go Mountaineers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT