ADVERTISEMENT

Tech vs Duke

Barrett is a chucker and not in a good way.

I think Reddish is probably starting to regret going to Duke. He's getting lost in the shuffle. Could've gone to any number of good teams and been the man. Now he's just another guy fighting for the few shots that are left after RJ is done.
I doubt Reddish regrets his decision. That's just stupid. He gets plenty of opportunities, it's not like he's buried on the bench. He is just in a slump and that has nothing to do with him regretting his decision to go to Duke.

He's projected to go third in the draft, he's doing alright. I actually think it says more about him that he can sacrifice for the good of the team, yet still show how good he is.

His projection to go 3rd has nothing to do with his play this season.

Can't believe I got Jarrett Culver in the 7th round of our College Basketball Draft. Dude might be good enough to make 1st Team All-American...

Also, what was up with those rims last night? I want to say Duke had 5 shots go in-and-out.

I thought it was like 7-8 but yes I noticed that as well. Halfway down or stopped at top of the rim and spin out. We usually lose games when that happens. And we still won by 11. That was a 20 point win had *those* shots gone down.

Reactions: dukedevilz
He will have to start playing a hell of a lot better to be the man anywhere. His shooting percentage is terrible and he loses the ball when he drives about 80% of the time or gets blocked.

But he didn’t let it affect his defense, especially late in the 2nd half

He's projected to go third in the draft, he's doing alright. I actually think it says more about him that he can sacrifice for the good of the team, yet still show how good he is.

Not really, he isn't... only among ESPN folks, who still say that Zion is 285 lbs.

Reddish has REALLY had a tough time, especially lately. He loses the ball constantly, and his shot is way off. I think the game is going to fast for him... he isn't getting his feet set, and his drives seem like he is rushing.

I expect it to get better, but right now...

It's a young team. I don't mind the frosh going through growing pains.

Reactions: tw3301
Not really, he isn't... only among ESPN folks, who still say that Zion is 285 lbs.

Reddish has REALLY had a tough time, especially lately. He loses the ball constantly, and his shot is way off. I think the game is going to fast for him... he isn't getting his feet set, and his drives seem like he is rushing.

I expect it to get better, but right now...

It's a young team. I don't mind the frosh going through growing pains.
He looked like an All American against us. Duke also couldn't miss from deep. Maybe I need to watch more, he's looked pretty damn good to me.

I've only watched a few games, but Reddish seems to have fell in love with shooting from three.

He looked like an All American against us. Duke also couldn't miss from deep. Maybe I need to watch more, he's looked pretty damn good to me.

The UK game was a pretty big outlier for BOTH teams, I think... he has been pretty bad the last five or so games:(

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I liked his "94 feet" segment with Jay Bilas. Bilas asked Reddish, "What's your goal for this season?" and his response was, "Win a national championship."

He sat on the bench for lengthy periods yesterday - and his body language was still very good (only played 20 minutes). To me, I think it says he's a team player. This team will be so much better, dare I say scary good, when Cam gets out of his shooting slump.

Folks, Duke is good. They are just very young.

The growing pains will continue for the rest of the season. Get used to it and also get used to Duke getting better and better. That is just the way it is going to be. They are going to look like shit in periods and then they will get brilliant. It is that part of a young team that drives the faithful batty.

I liked his "94 feet" segment with Jay Bilas. Bilas asked Reddish, "What's your goal for this season?" and his response was, "Win a national championship."

He sat on the bench for lengthy periods yesterday - and his body language was still very good (only played 20 minutes). To me, I think it says he's a team player. This team will be so much better, dare I say scary good, when Cam gets out of his shooting slump.
Y'all defense was really good last night. Held them to 29 each half. It will be scary when you're consistent.

Sounds a lot like Little from what you guys have said. Game is fast, he is thinking too much, shot is off, but is still cheering when everyone else does well, and seems to only care about winning and getting better. Glad to hear that. I was a big fan of Reddish and thought he would be the key for you guys. I was wrong on that last part but still think he will be a big time player.

Barrett is a chucker and not in a good way.

I think Reddish is probably starting to regret going to Duke. He's getting lost in the shuffle. Could've gone to any number of good teams and been the man. Now he's just another guy fighting for the few shots that are left after RJ is done.
Very doubtful that is the case. Cameron has freedom to take any shot he'd like in the half court offense. The fact that he hasn't made crap for 4 games now is not because he chose to come to Duke or that a guy who is the best offensive player on the team is getting a lot of shots in RJ. Cameron needs to make the shots he is getting more often. He is getting wide open look after wide open look and his teammates are looking for him. Including Barrett.

Barrett is just fine. He had a bad shooting night and all of the sudden the guy is a "chucker, but not in a good way." I expect better takes from you than that. That is sophomoric at best.

But he didn’t let it affect his defense, especially late in the 2nd half
I agree but he it seemed to affect it at times in the 1st half. letting a guy blow by him with 5 seconds on the shot clock leading to a lay up and a foul.

Barrett took a lot of shots that had me shaking my head in disbelief. K has always let shooters shoot their way out of slumps. But it is apparent that Barrett is not a shooter. Sure, a few were in and out. But a lot were just out of control, bad shots. Super talented, just has work to do to bring it all together.
Not me. He takes and makes tough shots. Duke needs him to be aggressive. If that means a "bad" shot now and again or a bad shooting night, so be it but this crap about RJ needs to stop IMO. It is making people who normally seem to understand basketball look a little dense. Also, when critiquing Barrett, understand he is 18 years old and has played 12 games on the collegiate level so of course he isn't going to be a finished product. I think he is way of anywhere I thought he would be at this point.

A lot of it is probably some carry over from the Gonzaga game, where he did sort of force some stuff late when on at least a few of those possessions they may could have gone to Zion. However, you want a guy to be a 'dog' as well. At least he isn't scared, haha. I will always take a guy being too aggressive at times rather than one being scared.

Sounds a lot like Little from what you guys have said. Game is fast, he is thinking too much, shot is off, but is still cheering when everyone else does well, and seems to only care about winning and getting better. Glad to hear that. I was a big fan of Reddish and thought he would be the key for you guys. I was wrong on that last part but still think he will be a big time player.
What you said above is why I do not dislike Little. He isn't starting and probably not getting the results he has hoped for at this point (I think he will be just fine) but I haven't heard a thing out of him that leads me to believe he isn't anything but team oriented. Reddish is the same way.

No you weren't. if you watch the games where Reddish is clicking along with Barrett, Zion, etc. Duke looks unbeatable. If (when?) he gets out of this slump Duke will be tough to beat, his outside shooting is what this team is missing.

No you weren't. if you watch the games where Reddish is clicking along with Barrett, Zion, etc. Duke looks unbeatable. If (when?) he gets out of this slump Duke will be tough to beat, his outside shooting is what this team is missing.

Ha, reminds me of Kenny Williams for us. Except KW is a senior, which makes it even more frustrating.

The Duke/Carolina games are gonna be so good this year. I honestly think we both win at home. Maybe that’s just cause we play on the road first. Keep the hope alive. Heh.

Not me. He takes and makes tough shots. Duke needs him to be aggressive. If that means a "bad" shot now and again or a bad shooting night, so be it but this crap about RJ needs to stop IMO. It is making people who normally seem to understand basketball look a little dense. Also, when critiquing Barrett, understand he is 18 years old and has played 12 games on the collegiate level so of course he isn't going to be a finished product. I think he is way of anywhere I thought he would be at this point.
I mean he does take some contested shots that look ill advised, a lot of times they go in but a lot of times he could just pass it. I think he did a really good job of becoming more efficient after the Gonzaga debacle and we saw a little bit of a backslide last night but nothing to be concerned about.

Don't get me wrong. Barrett is going to take a lot of shots and make a lot of them. That is what is asked of him. My criticism of him is not as a player, but based on that single performance. He took a lot of contested shots last night that weren't well thought out. It happens, like you said, he is young. Experience will improve his game a lot, and last night should be a learning experience for him. I am certainly not going doomsday on him or anything like that, but last night he had some plays that were beyond simply being aggressive. It may not seem like it by my response, but I mostly agree with you btw.

Reactions: denniden and tw3301
A lot of it is probably some carry over from the Gonzaga game, where he did sort of force some stuff late when on at least a few of those possessions they may could have gone to Zion. However, you want a guy to be a 'dog' as well. At least he isn't scared, haha. I will always take a guy being too aggressive at times rather than one being scared.
I agree and don't dispute what happened in that Gonzaga game. He needed to make a few plays differently down the stretch, but I have seen a guy who has worked on that since that time and gotten better. I had no issue with most of the shots he took last night either. Nobody was making anything for 3/4 of the game. so if anyone is going to complain about RJ's missed shots or shot attempts, take a look at the rest of the team and what they were doing alongside him all game long. It was't much.

I mean he does take some contested shots that look ill advised, a lot of times they go in but a lot of times he could just pass it. I think he did a really good job of becoming more efficient after the Gonzaga debacle and we saw a little bit of a backslide last night but nothing to be concerned about.
Pass it to who? RJ wasn't the only one having a bad shooting night.

AOC had a setback game last night too. Was hoping his previous games were a sign of him contributing more. He was rightfully taken out of the game after that embarrassing defensive play where he had the position, but then just quit defending the guy. At that time, we were struggling to gain momentum and that was a big screw up on his part. I honestly think that he is going to have to be a reliable 3 point shooter if he is going to get minutes without vastly improving his defense.

I bet he starts tomorrow. Roy wants to win. He'll continue putting off Little's NBA career later.
I was sold on Little starting before he stepped on the floor. However, Little is proving Roy right so far. He needs to prove him wrong.

AOC had a setback game last night too. Was hoping his previous games were a sign of him contributing more. He was rightfully taken out of the game after that embarrassing defensive play where he had the position, but then just quit defending the guy. At that time, we were struggling to gain momentum and that was a big screw up on his part. I honestly think that he is going to have to be a reliable 3 point shooter if he is going to get minutes without vastly improving his defense.
We're about to get a transfer in Jemarl Baker. He's a dead eye shooter, but has only practiced three weeks since he's got here...last fall.

Scoring is great but how many points are you giving up on d?

I was sold on Little starting before he stepped on the floor. However, Little is proving Roy right so far. He needs to prove him wrong.
Crazy how Reddish and Little looked like two of the top players of the class during the McD's game.

Best case scenario is Roy is right, Little never gets it going this year, and he leaves for the draft.

I thought it would have helped to work the ball inside and play inside out. Draw the double and then pass out of it to make the defense move. I think Duke could do a much better job of that when shots aren't falling. Zion rarely seemed to get the ball on the block last night----and Im not sure it can be defended well by anyone.

I thought it would have helped to work the ball inside and play inside out. Draw the double and then pass out of it to make the defense move. I think Duke could do a much better job of that when shots aren't falling. Zion rarely seemed to get the ball on the block last night----and Im not sure it can be defended well by anyone.
He did once and he got blocked, but when he has posted up in other games it's pretty difficult to defend.

He did once and he got blocked, but when he has posted up in other games it's pretty difficult to defend.
I think Barrett made an errant entry pass on one as well. You guys just have the perfect combo of talent and length that Im trying to think of KU's potential strategy---hell I've even tried to think of guys from previous years as a hypothetical and cant come up with much, and hoping they shoot ice cold from deep isn't a great game plan. I will correct myself from last night when i commented about duke's defense after watching the whole game. I saw quite a few blow by's on overly aggressive defense, but its that very pressure that made Tech turn the ball over all game. Those guards looked so uncomfortable all game. Then White comes in and literally elevated the intensity by a factor of ten. He had a drive or two where culver got the best of him, but the guy bottled up drives from guards time and again and kept a lot of balls alive down low based on hustle.

ADVERTISEMENT