ADVERTISEMENT

Teams Who Could Come Out of Nowhere This Year

Manhattan is in the middle of nowhere, so all Kansas State teams literally come out of nowhere.

But, they will suck, so this probably isn’t what you were looking for.

Must have asked Norm Stewart directions to Manhattan, Kansas.

I like Diarra. He is still there. Just don't know if they have enough in the Backcourt.
Both them and Oklahoma you have no idea about because of their coaches.
Both can suck or both could find their way into the tournament.

K-State returns two starters in Xavier Sneed and Makol Mawien. And Diarra will be huge this year. They'll be decent, but they're losing a lot. And the freshmen class is underwhelming. Most likely an NIT year for them.

Reactions: KisteK
laugh now as you maybe crying later. after this 7 game stretch in the OOC all in last years FPI Top 100, we will know a lot about this years team
LV Invitational
TT 1st game Runner up in the NCAAT Championship.
Creighton/SDSU 2nd game
@Sryacuse
@Michigan
H Minnesota
@ISU
N Cincinnati

that is the toughest OOC schedule in a very very long time.

laugh now as you maybe crying later. after this 7 game stretch in the OOC all in last years FPI Top 100, we will know a lot about this years team
LV Invitational
TT 1st game Runner up in the NCAAT Championship.
Creighton/SDSU 2nd game
@Sryacuse
@Michigan
H Minnesota
@ISU
N Cincinnati

that is the toughest OOC schedule in a very very long time.

I do not see 7 ooc games on your list.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I do not see 7 ooc games on your list.
Las Vegas Invitational
Texas Tech = TT
either Creighton or SDSU
@Syracuse
@ Michigan middle of the OOC stretch
H Minnesota
@ ISU
N Cincinnati

oop didn't specify Minnesota and Michigan as BT games

they are part of a 7 game stretch their are a couple of interesting OOC games Gavitt Games BE vs BT Challange DePaul
Oral Roberts know very little about them
Cal Poly has a new coach with 6 FR 2 SO and 2 JR's
North Florida

this years schedule is the toughest in a very long time datinf back to the last 80's and early 90's when UNC, Duke, UCLA and Arizona were scheduled. this schedule will tell a lot about how good the team will be this year,

but exccccuuuussseee meeee for not noting about Michigan and Minnesota being BT team in that 7 game stretch.

My problem with them is their Backcourt.
Great frontcourt and a swing guy in Haley but they are missing the engine that was Jevon Carter.
McCabe is a decent player but he isn't Jevon Carter.

Until Culver and Oscar can play together on the court at the same time I think they are at best a bubble team. That is their issue. They have two bigs and neither one can play the stretch 4 yet.

I could be wrong and some of their young guards really emerge but the backcourts in the Big 12 are too good and will expose WV.

Bob Huggins hasn't talked this highly about his squad since the last time we went to the final four. He gushes over how much our guards have improved and that isn't like him. This team will easily make the tournament. When is the last time you knew of Huggins to have 2 bad years in a row anyway? Injuries and defections were our main problem last season and still came on strong at the end.

Bob Huggins hasn't talked this highly about his squad since the last time we went to the final four. He gushes over how much our guards have improved and that isn't like him. This team will easily make the tournament. When is the last time you knew of Huggins you have 2 bad years in a row anyway?

Huggins also is trying to find a way for Oscar and Culver to be on the floor at the same time. Good chance that it won't happen and if it does it will be for small stretches.
I don't see them as a Sweet 16 team yet. Could eventually be. I would be more inclined to go with Oklahoma State.

I really like Jermaine Haley. I thought the success that WV had last year was based on him.

Reactions: KisteK
Las Vegas Invitational
Texas Tech = TT
either Creighton or SDSU
@Syracuse
@ Michigan middle of the OOC stretch
H Minnesota
@ ISU
N Cincinnati

oop didn't specify Minnesota and Michigan as BT games

they are part of a 7 game stretch their are a couple of interesting OOC games Gavitt Games BE vs BT Challange DePaul
Oral Roberts know very little about them
Cal Poly has a new coach with 6 FR 2 SO and 2 JR's
North Florida

this years schedule is the toughest in a very long time datinf back to the last 80's and early 90's when UNC, Duke, UCLA and Arizona were scheduled. this schedule will tell a lot about how good the team will be this year,

but exccccuuuussseee meeee for not noting about Michigan and Minnesota being BT team in that 7 game stretch.

I think Iowa is really being overlooked. They’ll be a great measure for Texas Tech.

I didn’t get to see Iowa as much as I would’ve liked but when I did, it looked like their transition defense hurt them the most.

I think Iowa is really being overlooked. They’ll be a great measure for Texas Tech.

I didn’t get to see Iowa as much as I would’ve liked but when I did, it looked like their transition defense hurt them the most.
their defense was slow in responding in transition. Jordan Iowa's PG was battling a hip injury that required hip surgery and has sidelined him for the 19-20 season, this season Fran will need to rely on a 6'0 FR PG out of NYC to lead the team,

reports are he is a lock down defender that pick his man up and go endline to endline in players face type of defense, also provides that athletic drive and dish PG Iowa fan's have been complaining that Fran could not recruit.

take that for what its worth, these are coming from NYCHoops people who have watched him since JR High, NYC POY. NYC State Championship MVP.

Bohannon is one of the main reasons why Iowa improved last year. Losing him hurts. He really got better on the defensive end. I liked Cook as well. He was an energy guy that was good for a double double in a lot of games.
the problem with Cook is he tended to take plays off in rebounding and playing defense same with Moss taking plays off offensively and defensively.

Connor and Wieskamp were both a upgrade on defense for the team
Connor was 2nd on the team in assists with 102 behind Jordan who had 118 and had 23 steals
Wieskamp had 31 steals and 16 blocks while being the 4th leading scorer in dbl digits. he also ended on the All BT FR team. the biggest question is how long will it take to get this group playing as a team.

the 4/5 losses were hard but this year these 2 were former starters before they RS'd and now will be called upon to take on a bigger role.

Kind of strange he would have such an affection for Ewing, being that yurtseven is from overseas, but none the less, the dude can play.

And good for Gtown, hope swinging can bring them back. We had some good battles back in the old big east.

Part of it was that he saw the writing on the wall or had a conversation with Keatts that they were not going to run stuff for him. Dumb or not, I don't think Keatts had any problem with him leaving.

For me, I think Texas and ND are (none homer) picks. I just don't see Bray being bad again and I think Texas has a lot of talent.

Homer pick, I think that next year will easily be NCSU's best team with Keatts. Ton of production back, and hopefully a healthy Manny Batest to add the shot blocking deminsion that was missing. Just needs to keep his shoulders in their sockets. Markell Johnson has a great chance to be 1st team All-ACC and the addition of Pat Andree will really open things up for the offense Keatts want to run. Plus ACC should be down so easier to rack up wins. I can easily see us going from missing the tourney to a top 5 seed and making the Sweet 16. Game in NYC against Memphis should be awesome.

I think Texas knows how to win. The year before Shaka went to the Final 4 at VCU he won the CBI tournament.
I think that will be a benefit for this Texas team especially because it was Courtney Ramey who became the alpha. Him and Andrew Jones are perfect players to have on the court. This isn't mentioning the other two guards that have 30+ career starts and Freshman Donovan Williams.
I think Luke Yaklich's ability to make adjustments will be important. Shaka, I guess, is going to allow Yaklich the ability to change things during the game. Something Shaka isn't the best at. Amazing game planner before the game but not the best in the game.

I am big on guard play. I like teams who can use guards to control the game on both ends of the floor. I see that with Texas.

I don't think the team wants the target on their chest and they don't need it for recruiting so they're not asking for publicity this off-season.
Think that will keep them hungry.

@SheriffBufordTJustice here is a possible lineup for Iowa this upcoming season rankings by ESPN
4* grade 80 PG FR 6'0 Toussaint
4* top 100 SG RSSO 6'5 Connor
4* top 100 SF JR 6'6 Wieskamp
4* top 100 PF FR 6'8 Patrick
4* top 100 C 6'11 Garza
this is being ignored by the bracket people and pollsters.

Iowa will be a competitive team. I don't think anyone is saying they are going to suck.
Losing Bohannon is huge.
Iowa in 2017-18 was a decent team but they couldn't play defense.
18-19 Bohannon become more of a pitbull and Iowa was a better team even though he scored less

Unless you have another player who is the head of the snake you won't be that team no matter what you have behind the PG

Guards are the engine on a basketball team. Better guards you have more potential you have.

@SheriffBufordTJustice here is a possible lineup for Iowa this upcoming season rankings by ESPN
4* grade 80 PG FR 6'0 Toussaint
4* top 100 SG RSSO 6'5 Connor
4* top 100 SF JR 6'6 Wieskamp
4* top 100 PF FR 6'8 Patrick
4* top 100 C 6'11 Garza
this is being ignored by the bracket people and pollsters.

I’m probably higher on Iowa than most. I see them as a fringe top 20 team. The kid from NYC is solid. He was on our radar for a bit (Tech). If Beard was interested he must play some tough defense.

I don’t see anyone beating MIch St for the Big 10 this year but I could see Iowa coming in a close second.

Iowa lost three of their top scorers, brought in nobody. Imo, it'd say more about Tech, should this be a game late, than Iowa.

I do (really) like Garza and Wieskamp, jury's still out on Franny's boys. Nunge will be a nice return. I don't dislike Iowa, but I have to wonder who's going to pick up those lost 35+ points. They return one guy that shot better than 30% on more than 1 attempt per game.
(Wieskamp, 42% on 4 attempts per)

Loads of questions with Iowa.

I’m probably higher on Iowa than most.
I don’t see anyone beating MIch St for the Big 10 this year but I could see Iowa coming in a close second.
To borrow..
images

Iowa will be a competitive team. I don't think anyone is saying they are going to suck.
Losing Bohannon is huge.
Iowa in 2017-18 was a decent team but they couldn't play defense.
18-19 Bohannon become more of a pitbull and Iowa was a better team even though he scored less

Unless you have another player who is the head of the snake you won't be that team no matter what you have behind the PG

Guards are the engine on a basketball team. Better guards you have more potential you have.
Iowa went from having the 247th adj defense in the 17-18 season and improved to 117th in adj defense in the 18-19 season, it was RSFR CG Connor and FR WG Wieskamp that were responsible for that turn around.

this season they add 2 guards known for their defense
FR PG Toussaint known in NYC as a lock down defender and is much quicker than a injured Bohannon
RSSR CG Evelyn another quicker lock down defender
the guards are much better tnan it was but here is a note on defense in the 12-13 season with this as the starting 5 finished 33rd in adj defense
FR PG Gesell
FR SG Clemmons
JR SF Marble
SO PF White
FR C Woodbury.

players that play as a team on defense wins as a team and that team won 25 games tying for 2nd for wins by a Iowa team in Iowa's history,

Iowa lost three of their top scorers, brought in nobody. Imo, it'd say more about Tech, should this be a game late, than Iowa.

I do (really) like Garza and Wieskamp, jury's still out on Franny's boys. Nunge will be a nice return. I don't dislike Iowa, but I have to wonder who's going to pick up those lost 35+ points. They return one guy that shot better than 30% on more than 1 attempt per game.

6'8 F Patrick was a top 100 4* and you doubt his ability by calling him a nobody. PG 6'0 Toussaint was rated the #2 player in the state of NY by NYHoops and ended up a grade 80 4* by ESPN. and GT 6'2 CG Evelyn? nobodies yeah right

one other note on this years roster these were both starters and are coming off a RS year
RSSO 7'0 Nunge who as a FR was T-5th in scoring 2nd in blocks with 25 and has range to 3 vs Cook who was limited to 5' with a better shot blocking ability
RSJR 6'8 Pemsl T-5th in scoring and 3rd in rebounding with 107 defensive and 144 total and can more than make up for the loss of Cook
these were their year before they red shirted,

losing Cook was a loss but his replacements are better. Losing Moss is iffy has Wieskamp is more of a WG than a SF, Moss shot 42.1% from 3 vs Wieskamp who led the team at 42.4% from 3, I call that a upgrade at this point.
Moss was a 4* outside ESPN's Top 100 vs Wiekamp who was a ESPN top 100 and #42 by Rivals

I have told Tech fans if they want to be a basketball school they need to improve their basketball IQ.
Their fans that post on here have continued to show a very low basketball IQ.

Can't be a basketball school when you don't have a fanbase that knows the sport.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I have told Tech fans if they want to be a basketball school they need to improve their basketball IQ.
Their fans that post on here have continued to show a very low basketball IQ.

Can't be a basketball school when you don't have a fanbase that knows the sport.

Christ almighty. You’re certainly not some basketball savant, even though you think you are.

You’re constantly wrong about most things regarding Tech but spout off like you know more about Tech basketball than the actual fans on here. Most times nobody argues with you about it because you’re so full of shit that it’s pointless.

We get it though, this message board is where you get to “be somebody”. Carry on.

Christ almighty. You’re certainly not some basketball savant, even though you think you are.

You’re constantly wrong about most things regarding Tech but spout off like you know more about Tech basketball than the actual fans on here. Most times nobody argues with you about it because you’re so full of shit that it’s pointless.

We get it though, this message board is where you get to “be somebody”. Carry on.

This is beyond sad.
You going to be around all season.

ADVERTISEMENT