ADVERTISEMENT

Teams Who Could Come Out of Nowhere This Year

Tampa_cat54

Apr 22, 2011
Who are some teams that could really come out of nowhere this year?

My guess- hometown team South Florida.

They return EVERYONE (98% of their scoring, rebounding, and minutes.)

Finished with 24 wins last year, narrowly missed the NIT and won the CBI.

Had wins over Memphis, Wichita State, UCONN, Georgetown, etc.

Return everybody and add big time transfer PG Zack Dawson from Oklahoma State.

Think they could really make a jump and be in the conversation for anywhere from a 6-9 seed in the NCAA tournament, maybe even win a couple of games in it.

Thoughts? Anybody else?

Last edited:
Reactions: duckboy33
Memphis. Do they count?

Nope.

They have the #1 recruiting class in the country. Meaning, they should be preseason Top 3, expected to make the final four, and anything less is a direct reflection of the head coach because absolutely anyone can win when they have that kind of talent on the roster.

I think most people view Texas as a fringe tourney team, but I could see them being top 10 caliber.

Reactions: Silent Banjo
Not sure what qualifies as coming from nowhere, but I'll give you my list for sub .500 teams from last year most likely to make the tournament in 2020:

1. Illinois
2. Penn State
3. West Virginia
4. Georgia
5. Notre Dame
6. Butler
7. Pittsburgh
8. Missouri
9. Miami
10. USC

Also, I'd say watch out for Pepperdine. They came on strong during the WCC Tournament, return their entire starting 5 + they're brining in 2 transfers from Oregon that were 4-star recruits (MJ Cage & Keith Smith). Not sure about their tournament chances, seeing how they're in the same conference as Gonzaga. But they'll knock off some good teams in the OCC season.

A couple of teams with records barely over .500 that I think are dangerous:
-Harvard (return core players + Seth Towns returns from his injury + solid recruiting class)

-San Diego State (bringing in KJ Feagin from Santa Clara and Malachi Flynn from Washington State, two guys that led their previous teams in scoring)

-Georgetown (lots of young developing guys returning + Omer Yurtseven will be eligible, a top 5 big in the country)

-Oregon State returns Tres Tinkle, a top 20 player, plus versatile wing Ethan Thompson and one of the best shot-blockers in Kylor Kelley

-Colorado has a really dynamic duo in McKinley Wright and Tyler Bey. I think both of those guys could be 1st Team All Pac-12, with a slight chance of Wright making an All American team.

Not sure what qualifies as coming from nowhere, but I'll give you my list for sub .500 teams from last year most likely to make the tournament in 2020:

1. Illinois
2. Penn State
3. West Virginia
4. Georgia
5. Notre Dame
6. Butler
7. Pittsburgh
8. Missouri
9. Miami
10. USC

Also, I'd say watch out for Pepperdine. They came on strong during the WCC Tournament, return their entire starting 5 + they're brining in 2 transfers from Oregon that were 4-star recruits (MJ Cage & Keith Smith). Not sure about their tournament chances, seeing how they're in the same conference as Gonzaga. But they'll knock off some good teams in the OCC season.

A couple of teams with records barely over .500 that I think are dangerous:
-Harvard (return core players + Seth Towns returns from his injury + solid recruiting class)

-San Diego State (bringing in KJ Feagin from Santa Clara and Malachi Flynn from Washington State, two guys that led their previous teams in scoring)

-Georgetown (lots of young developing guys returning + Omer Yurtseven will be eligible, a top 5 big in the country)

-Oregon State returns Tres Tinkle, a top 20 player, plus versatile wing Ethan Thompson and one of the best shot-blockers in Kylor Kelley

-Colorado has a really dynamic duo in McKinley Wright and Tyler Bey. I think both of those guys could be 1st Team All Pac-12, with a slight chance of Wright making an All American team.

Good call on West Virginia. They came on strong at the end of last season, after adjusting to all the injuries and defections. I could see them returning to form this season.

Isn’t USC expected to be pretty good?

Reactions: dukedevilz
Good call on West Virginia. They came on strong at the end of last season, after adjusting to all the injuries and defections. I could see them returning to form this season.

Isn’t USC expected to be pretty good?

I might be underselling them a bit. They should have a really solid frontcourt with Rakocevic, Mobley, and Okongwu. Just not so sure about the backcourt - or Enfield as a coach. I think they have a higher ceiling than most teams on my list.

Think they could really make a jump and be in the conversation for anywhere from a 6-9 seed in the NCAA tournament, maybe even win a couple of games in it.

Thoughts? Anybody else?

Game went to OT but Georgetown beat USF not the other way around.

What are the parameters.

A team who didn't make the tournament and could be a Sweet 16 team is what I am going on.

Since I only watch quality basketball I can only give you Big 12 teams.

Probably Oklahoma State since Texas was already mention.

Lindy Waters is a Warrior. Reason why he was given the award as Native of the Year. Great player to have your team centered around.

I would put them over West Virginia.
They are a better team.

Forgot the center's name but he is legit as well.

Could end up averaging 2-3 Blocks per game.

West virginia is going to be top 5-6 in the big 12

My problem with them is their Backcourt.
Great frontcourt and a swing guy in Haley but they are missing the engine that was Jevon Carter.
McCabe is a decent player but he isn't Jevon Carter.

Until Culver and Oscar can play together on the court at the same time I think they are at best a bubble team. That is their issue. They have two bigs and neither one can play the stretch 4 yet.

I could be wrong and some of their young guards really emerge but the backcourts in the Big 12 are too good and will expose WV.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Regarding Texas...

Matters where they get into the tournament at and who they are matched up with.

During the season....
That Duke game is a huge matchup.
Texas played Duke in 2017 during the Phil Knight Tournament and looked like the better team a lot of the game.
I feel this team is much better than that team because of their strength in the Backcourt.

They have to win that game. I think if they win that game and win the other game at MSG they are a team who can compete against anyone in the Big 12.

When that teams plays with confidence they can beat anyone.
Only two teams did I see Texas lose that confidence against.
Michigan State and Tech

Because they beat them on the defensive end.

Going into 2019-2020 I don't see any team on their schedule who can do that.
Winning against Duke will reinforce the idea they can beat anyone.

In terms of players..

Gerald Liddell and Jericho Sims are the keys for different reasons.

Liddell because he didn't get the minutes he deserved last year because Shaka didn't trust his fitness
When he was on the court you could see at times he was the best player on the court even without the ball.
6-8 with a 7-0 wingspan.
Should be a starter

Sims- Jaxson Hayes took his starting spot last year. When he plays with confidence he is great. Can jump out of the gym.

Kai Jones and Will Baker are really going to push him.
Sims cannot disappear again. If he doesn't Texas could have one of the best 10 deep in the country

Sims
Baker
Jones
Liddell
Hepa
Williams
Andrew Jones
Febres
Coleman
Ramey

Nope.

They have the #1 recruiting class in the country. Meaning, they should be preseason Top 3, expected to make the final four, and anything less is a direct reflection of the head coach because absolutely anyone can win when they have that kind of talent on the roster.
So hypothetically speaking coach k failed in 2018 based on this statement. Amirite?

So hypothetically speaking coach k failed in 2018 based on this statement. Amirite?
Hypothetically? Yes he did. Not his fault Reddish was below average, but to basically take the ball out of your point guards hands, and make your team a two horse show, wasn’t wise. It’s not like Tre Jones is Tyler Thornton either.
Every team in college that won the title, that I can recall, were led by the point guard.

Regarding Texas...

Matters where they get into the tournament at and who they are matched up with.

During the season....
That Duke game is a huge matchup.
Texas played Duke in 2017 during the Phil Knight Tournament and looked like the better team a lot of the game.
I feel this team is much better than that team because of their strength in the Backcourt.

They have to win that game. I think if they win that game and win the other game at MSG they are a team who can compete against anyone in the Big 12.

When that teams plays with confidence they can beat anyone.
Only two teams did I see Texas lose that confidence against.
Michigan State and Tech

Because they beat them on the defensive end.

Going into 2019-2020 I don't see any team on their schedule who can do that.
Winning against Duke will reinforce the idea they can beat anyone.

In terms of players..

Gerald Liddell and Jericho Sims are the keys for different reasons.

Liddell because he didn't get the minutes he deserved last year because Shaka didn't trust his fitness
When he was on the court you could see at times he was the best player on the court even without the ball.
6-8 with a 7-0 wingspan.
Should be a starter

Sims- Jaxson Hayes took his starting spot last year. When he plays with confidence he is great. Can jump out of the gym.

Kai Jones and Will Baker are really going to push him.
Sims cannot disappear again. If he doesn't Texas could have one of the best 10 deep in the country

Sims
Baker
Jones
Liddell
Hepa
Williams
Andrew Jones
Febres
Coleman
Ramey

Texas plays Georgetown first. That won't be an easy contest. I think those two teams are pretty even, to be honest.

Hypothetically? Yes he did. Not his fault Reddish was below average, but to basically take the ball out of your point guards hands, and make your team a two horse show, wasn’t wise. It’s not like Tre Jones is Tyler Thornton either.
Every team in college that won the title, that I can recall, were led by the point guard.

Anthony Davis and melo come to mind. Granted they had decent PGs but they were far and away the reasons Uk and Cuse won their most recent respective titles. I guess a case can be made for McNamara being the team leader for Cuse despite not being the best player, but I don’t think that argument can be made for marquis Teague. He was a decent player but Davis, lamb, Miller, Jones, and mkg were all better, and a few were older, so I don’t think u can say in 2012 Uk was led to the title by their PG. really can’t even say it about uva last year, guy, Jerome, and hunter led them to the title not the light skinned freshman PG who was a great defender and made an heady clutch pass to diakote in the auburn game. Sorry jmossy I can’t remember his name for the life of me, Clark maybe???

Last edited:
Texas plays Georgetown first. That won't be an easy contest. I think those two teams are pretty even, to be honest.

Texas had a bad year last year and still according to KenPom finished as a Top 25 team.

I don't think any game is easy for any team.
What Texas is in the backcourt with Courtney Ramey, Matt Coleman, Andrew Jones and Donovan Williams.
They are going to be able to run good teams out of the gym especially ones that cannot match their guard play.

Their problem will be confidence.

They don't have too many blue collar type players that will give you the same amount of energy off the bench.

When a player like Sims or possibly Febres end up on the bench.
Do they disappear or do they play.

Hopefully the changes on the coaching staff will give the players a different perspective

I didn’t know until unread this that Georgetown has former NC State player Yurtseven. That dude is as skilled of a big man as your gonna see at the college level. He was a stud at ncsu, but it came more in flashes. He would dominate at times and disappear at others. I know I’ve seen him school us a game or two. Him and Mac “attack” Mclung are really the only thing I know about Gtown. But I’m tellin ya don’t sleep on yurtseven, dude can play in the post, hit threes, mid range jumpers. I honestly assumed he had went back to Europe to play pro ball . The Wolfpack would have been a Legit threat imo if he hadn’t transferred. Pair him up with funderburke down low with dorn and Johnson and Beverly up top. Not saying they woulda cut down the nets but they would have been a team no one wanted to see in their bracket.

Texas had a bad year last year and still according to KenPom finished as a Top 25 team.

I don't think any game is easy for any team.
What Texas is in the backcourt with Courtney Ramey, Matt Coleman, Andrew Jones and Donovan Williams.
They are going to be able to run good teams out of the gym especially ones that cannot match their guard play.

Their problem will be confidence.

They don't have too many blue collar type players that will give you the same amount of energy off the bench.

When a player like Sims or possibly Febres end up on the bench.
Do they disappear or do they play.

Hopefully the changes on the coaching staff will give the players a different perspective

Are you expecting Andrew Jones to return to form?

Texas is certainly talented. It seems like just about every player on the team is a top 100 recruit. But, it hasn't translated in much success the past few years. Good recruiting class. Coaching changes. Maybe that will put Texas over the top this year. I don't think you guys have a true alpha dog that can take over, however. Depth is impressive, much better than Georgetown's. But, I think you could argue that G'town will have the two best players on the floor in Omer Yurtseven and James Akinjo.

I hate that California is in this tournament. That's a throw-away game, IMO. They're awful, awful, awful - basically on par with an average mid-major.

Reactions: KisteK
Are you expecting Andrew Jones to return to form?

Texas is certainly talented. It seems like just about every player on the team is a top 100 recruit. But, it hasn't translated in much success the past few years. Good recruiting class. Coaching changes. Maybe that will put Texas over the top this year. I don't think you guys have a true alpha dog that can take over, however. Depth is impressive, much better than Georgetown's. But, I think you could argue that G'town will have the two best players on the floor in Omer Yurtseven and James Akinjo.

I hate that California is in this tournament. That's a throw-away game, IMO. They're awful, awful, awful - basically on par with an average mid-major.

He has been cleared to play.

Should be fully healthy. Where he fits in is the question.
He could play the Kerwin Roach role. Roach didn't really want to come off the bench but finally made the most of it.
Andrew Jones is a different type of player. A lot more humble.

Shaka wants to take over games with his defense. Been that way from the beginning.
What has happened is that it hasn't fully clicked in yet all the time.
It was starting to in 2017-2018 when Jones went out and did again at times in 2018-2019

What is going to determine the season is how many games does that click in.

Some of these teams that don't lock down defensively are really going to have issues.

If you look at the KENPOM numbers for offensive and defensive efficiency.

Texas was pretty well balanced.
If they can take a leap up on defense into the Top 10 or become Top 20 in both they will win a lot more games. Probably 25+.

I didn’t know until unread this that Georgetown has former NC State player Yurtseven. That dude is as skilled of a big man as your gonna see at the college level. He was a stud at ncsu, but it came more in flashes. He would dominate at times and disappear at others. I know I’ve seen him school us a game or two. Him and Mac “attack” Mclung are really the only thing I know about Gtown. But I’m tellin ya don’t sleep on yurtseven, dude can play in the post, hit threes, mid range jumpers. I honestly assumed he had went back to Europe to play pro ball . The Wolfpack would have been a Legit threat imo if he hadn’t transferred. Pair him up with funderburke down low with dorn and Johnson and Beverly up top. Not saying they woulda cut down the nets but they would have been a team no one wanted to see in their bracket.

He came to Georgetown because he wanted to be coached by Patrick Ewing. Yurtseven will be one of the best bigs in the country, no question. I think Georgetown is going to come around this year and get back to the dance. Maybe a 9 or 10 seed. James Akinjo and Mac McClung will be a formidable backcourt for the next three years. They are a team to watch out for.

Kind of strange he would have such an affection for Ewing, being that yurtseven is from overseas, but none the less, the dude can play.

And good for Gtown, hope swinging can bring them back. We had some good battles back in the old big east.

That remains to be seen.

How does that remain to be seen? Regardless of what he does in the nba, his one year of college production did not equal what the typical number 3 recruit in the nation produces.

Partly bc he chose to play with the only two kids ranked ahead of him, but we will never know if he would have went some place where he was the best player and first option how he would have done, but I don’t understand how it remains to be seen that his one season at duke was underwhelming based on how highly he was touted.

I was referring to the bagley team, which was just as loaded if not more, and they failed to make the final four

Ur handles team was more talented than both and failed to make the final four. 5 first round draft picks and no final four, what point are we trying to make here?

How does that remain to be seen? Regardless of what he does in the nba, his one year of college production did not equal what the typical number 3 recruit in the nation produces.

Partly bc he chose to play with the only two kids ranked ahead of him, but we will never know if he would have went some place where he was the best player and first option how he would have done, but I don’t understand how it remains to be seen that his one season at duke was underwhelming based on how highly he was touted.
It was obviously underwhelming, but he said that's no fault of Coach K's. So it is only on the player when he under-performs? He was one of the most talented players with big upside in the NCAA last year.

It was obviously underwhelming, but he said that's no fault of Coach K's. So it is only on the player when he under-performs? He was one of the most talented players with big upside in the NCAA last year.
I think he did say some of it was on "K". Something to the extent of using Zion and Barrett to much?

Michigan State was a better team.

I think defensively. Everyone will use their stats and make claims about how good they were.
They were a hit and miss team defensively. They tried to create turnovers and rushed the ball. Michigan State was too good in the Backcourt.

Don't think they underperformed.

Cam Reddish not playing good was on Cam. He played star minutes. Would you give him the ball, knowing there was a better chance of him either coughing the ball over to the other team, or running over the defender?
He didn’t use the point guard like he should have been used.

His coaching the last couple seasons hasn’t matched his recruiting.

Thoughts? Anybody else?

Michigan was a 2 seed last year and are outside of most top 25 lists this year. Juwan Howard is a question mark and there are a couple holes on the roster with question marks and that’s reflected in where people have Michigan. I think Michigan has as much upside as any team outside the top 25.

Tennessee-Power-T.png

Some picks: South Florida, Penn (ivy), Providence, Depaul, UCONN, Oregon State, Colorado, Pepperdine, Oklahoma

Iowa should be a team to come from nowhere, they Lost these
PF Cook leading scorer and rebounder left early for the NBA
SG Moss GT to Kansas
PG Bohannon to injury
SF Baer to graduation
so they are not in the top 25 or getting votes
what Fran has on his roster by top players by ESPN
4* PG FR Toussaint
4* SG Top 100 RSSO Connor McCaffrey
4* SF Top 100 SO Wieskamp
4* F Top 100 FR Patrick McCaffrey
4* C Top 100 JR Garza
3* FC RSSO Nunge
3* CG RSSR Evelyn GT
3* SG RSFR Fredrick Kentucky POY
3* F RSJR Pemsl
3* F SR Kriener
F RSJR Till former walk on now on scholarship.
Fran lost 4 but returns 2 former starters that RS'd in Nunge and Pemsl.

Iowa should be a team to come from nowhere, they Lost these
PF Cook leading scorer and rebounder left early for the NBA
SG Moss GT to Kansas
PG Bohannon to injury
SF Baer to graduation
so they are not in the top 25 or getting votes
what Fran has on his roster by top players by ESPN
4* PG FR Toussaint
4* SG Top 100 RSSO Connor McCaffrey
4* SF Top 100 SO Wieskamp
4* F Top 100 FR Patrick McCaffrey
4* C Top 100 JR Garza
3* FC RSSO Nunge
3* CG RSSR Evelyn GT
3* SG RSFR Fredrick Kentucky POY
3* F RSJR Pemsl
3* F SR Kriener
F RSJR Till former walk on now on scholarship.
Fran lost 4 but returns 2 former starters that RS'd in Nunge and Pemsl.
lol

Reactions: all4theillini
ADVERTISEMENT