ADVERTISEMENT

suggestion to improve the tournament for the fans

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Pretty simple, stop playing the S16 games on Thursday and Friday and instead move them to Saturday and Sunday with elite 8 games Monday and Tuesday. That way we can get a full day of hoops on Saturday and Sunday with 4 back to back to back to back games. Much better for the fans than cramming 4 games into one night and forcing fans to choose between one game or the other.

I read your post and thought “this is a good idea that I agree with.”

Then I become hyper aware that I’ve never had that thought after reading any of your other posts before
no worries, just means you're getting dumber as you get older. When you agree with everything I say is when you really have a problem and are probably less than a day away from needing to wear Depends full time.

How about not having the first two games on Saturday and Sunday be stand alone games? The games end too late. Make all games start 1 hour after the game before it so that we have better options if a stand alone game is a blow out.

How about not having the first two games on Saturday and Sunday be stand alone games? The games end too late. Make all games start 1 hour after the game before it so that we have better options if a stand alone game is a blow out.
you're talking about this past weekend and of course I agree with you. the Sunday schedule is so stupid. No reason to have 5 games start after 5pm est on a Sunday.

I completely agree that games should be all day and staggered every hour.

Confession: I've probably watched the fist half of a game less than 5x all year including this past weekend. I always start with the 2nd half. Staggering games so we can go from second half to second half on every game would be perfect.

My biggest gripe: prohibit any conference champion from playing in the First Four. I think it’s unfair to the small schools who lose in Dayton and don’t get the “real” March Madness experience. Let them have their moment and make the high-major bubble teams play in the First Four, and this is coming from a fan of a team who just played in it last week.

My biggest gripe: prohibit any conference champion from playing in the First Four. I think it’s unfair to the small schools who lose in Dayton and don’t get the “real” March Madness experience. Let them have their moment and make the high-major bubble teams play in the First Four, and this is coming from a fan of a team who just played in it last week.

I get the sentiment, but the only problem with that is you will end up lowering the level of teams in he tourney. Think about it, if you get rid of the two 16v16 matchups from Dayton you will have 2 extra terrible teams in the tourney which will force a couple otehr team to the 15 line and so on and so on thereby weakening the teams overall at those lower seed lines.

For that reason I am opposed to that suggestion.

I get the sentiment, but the only problem with that is you will end up lowering the level of teams in he tourney. Think about it, if you get rid of the two 16v16 matchups from Dayton you will have 2 extra terrible teams in the tourney which will force a couple otehr team to the 15 line and so on and so on thereby weakening the teams overall at those lower seed lines.

That’s certainly a fair perspective, and I took that into consideration when posting that. I think it could become a more viable proposal if we get some major mid-major shakeup that causes some conferences to consolidate.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I thought OP was going to suggest letting teams that haven’t had a winning conference record in 16 years participate, but this is actually a good idea.

I think teams that have, say 5 national titles (not helms), should get an automatic trip to the S16 if they make the tournament. Make sure the teams that everyone wants to see are in the spotlight more

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
I really don't like the selection process.

1) There are always several teams from smaller conferences that had good/great years and are left out of the tourney because a conference is deemed a 1 team bid. With too much emphasis on Quad wins and losses. If your team plays in the Big 12 every game won is almost considered a Quad 1 win, but any other conference would not be. The weighting is off balance. if Quad wins are the end all be all, see the chart below. Do they really matter? only 8 of the sweet 16 left are from "Power conferences" where most of the Quad victories are attained. Basketball is so much different from football as it only requires 5 players and teams with seniors can strapped in on 5 freshman Mcdonalds all-americans

2) The "Power" conferences are getting multiple teams in due to getting an additional share of the proceeds when several are barely playing 500 ball within their own conference are are getting "20" wins by playing division 2 schools or SWAC schools. Maybe the only way to fix this problem is make a rule, if you do not finish in the top 1/2 of your league, you should be ineligible.

3) No conference champion should have to play in a play-in game.

4) possibly the only fair solution is to expanded the tourney to 128 teams and start is on Tuesday instead of Thursday playing 3 games on the first week

AAC-Houston -2 teams
ACC - 1: Miami -5 teams
Big East - 3: Creighton, Xavier, UConn -5 teams
Big 10 - 1: Michigan State -8 teams
Big 12 - 2: Kansas State, Texas 7 teams
CUSA - 1: Florida Atlantic 1 team
Ivy - 1: Princeton 1 team
Mountain West - 1: San Diego State 4 teams
PAC 10 - 1: UCLA - 3 teams
SEC - 3: Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee 8-teams
West Coast Conference - 1: Gonzaga 2 teams

Bottom line is I think the tourney should be a reward for a team that has a good/great season and not a cash grab for mediocre teams that have name recognition.

• Love
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood

Wait, what do you mean 16 seeds are terrible? Those dudes can ball!!

Duke should only be allowed in the tournament every 20 years, and in that year, they have to lose to a 6 letter mid major team that changes every time.

Mercer
Lehigh

Etc

I think we can give them Drexel next or something.

Duke should only be allowed in the tournament every 20 years, and in that year, they have to lose to a 6 letter mid major team that changes every time.

Mercer
Lehigh

Etc

I think we can give them Drexel next or something.

If the objective is to lose money, this is a fantastic business model to follow.

Suggestion: Quit showing the damn scores on the tv. We know how to change the channel. We know to search on our phones/computers. Why would spoilers enhance the tournament experience?

And ESPN, during the regular seasons, nobody cares about the women's scores. You know how I know nobody cares? Because nobody ever asks the next day, "Hey did you check out that women's game last night?"

Suggestion: Quit showing the damn scores on the tv. We know how to change the channel. We know to search on our phones/computers. Why would spoilers enhance the tournament experience?

And ESPN, during the regular seasons, nobody cares about the women's scores. You know how I know nobody cares? Because nobody ever asks the next day, "Hey did you check out that women's game last night?"

my suggestion about the ticker is also to just get rid of it, but if they insist on keeping it they should outline the women's scores in all pink so we know that they are women scores and don't get instantly confused.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
nothing to do with how much money a huge organization makes

Duke wouldn't be hateable if they didn't pose some sort of threat. People also like to watch their least favorite teams to lose.

Once a decade might as well be Georgia Tech.

my suggestion about the ticker is also to just get rid of it, but if they insist on keeping it they should outline the women's scores in all pink so we know that they are women scores and don't get instantly confused.

A color distinction. I like that. That would be quite helpful, actually.

There's really nothing to hate about Duke these days. The country strongly disliked Coach K and some of the brats of the 90s and that went a long way. Adding in the Vitale love and media lovefest overall and I get it.

But the new coach seems like a great dude. I didn't watch a ton of games this year but I didn't see too much favoritism from refs for them in their games. That media hug is going to dry up a little now that the product is in some decline. The TN game was clean I don't recall any BS of any kind.

the worst announcers? I had the volume off during any game I watched.

The combination of Lisa Byington, Steve Smith, Avery Johnson, and Andy Katz isn't easy on the ears.

Byington sounds like a 12 year-old boy. Avery Johnson has a unique voice, but it's very annoying. And Andy Katz asks lots of dumb questions with his interviews. I don't know how Steve Smith mentally survives in that quartet.

Reactions: boilerzz
I definitely enjoy the trio of Jim Nantz-Bill Raftery-Grant Hill. And the trio of Kevin Harlan-Reggie Miller-Dan Bonner was always dynamite, too. Stan Van Gundy has been a good replacement for Miller

I definitely enjoy the trio of Jim Nantz-Bill Raftery-Grant Hill. And the trio of Kevin Harlan-Reggie Miller-Dan Bonner was always dynamite, too. Stan Van Gundy has been a good replacement for Miller

They should let Walton do any games where a PAC team is playing. That would be some awesome homering.

• Haha
Reactions: dukedevilz
They should let Walton do any games where a PAC team is playing. That would be some awesome homering.

It would also be hilariously confusing for all the people who just show up to watch college basketball in March. "WTF is wrong with this guy?"

I'm on board with this. Would be a great addition to the fan experience. And if he's only broadcasting Pac 12 games, odds are you won't see very much of him beyond the 2nd Round.

This is a pretty funny reaction from all three guys. Maybe we need a camera on them more often just to see some of those candid expressions.

Reactions: jhmossy
Maniacal laughter followed by intense rage followed by somber depression followed by self-mutilation

giphy.gif

The combination of Lisa Byington, Steve Smith, Avery Johnson, and Andy Katz isn't easy on the ears.

Byington sounds like a 12 year-old boy. Avery Johnson has a unique voice, but it's very annoying. And Andy Katz asks lots of dumb questions with his interviews. I don't know how Steve Smith mentally survives in that quartet.
I sure wasn't a fan of Steve Lappas doing the Purdue - FDU game considering Lappas' son used to work for FDU.

Quit letting teams mug each other. It's boring and involved the refs way to much in the curcial times of the game

There’s nothing I hate more than a crucial block/charge call at a critical point really late in the game

I don’t have a solution but I will keep whining

Reactions: hawkit3113
ADVERTISEMENT