ADVERTISEMENT

stategy question regarding offensive rebounding

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
As we all know there has been a growing trend to shoot as many 3s as possible and to go away from the mid game. Last year I remember seeing shot charts for Villanova where every shot was either a 3 or inside the lane.

This year I've been hearing a lot from announcers that the best time to get a wide open 3 is right after an offensive rebound. Makes sense, shot goes up and most of the defense crashes the boards leaving the perimeter unguarded.

So it got me wondering why coaches don't instruct their players to look to pass their offensive rebounds out to the perimeter rather than go up right away in traffic and try and get the put back. Granted, you don't want to give up a free layup for a 3 pt shot, but on most rebounds it isn't exactly an easy put back. It's usually contested and in a swarm of bodies. 90% of the time it seem the player will try and force up that put back no matter how difficult or contested it is. Why not instruct the players to look to pass anything that isn't a free layup/dunk?

After all, is there anything better/easier than the uncontested college 3 pointer? I would rather see my team take those as opposed to contested 2 foot shots. Even if they miss the 3, those shots tend to lead to longer rebounds which would give the offensive team a great shot at another rebound since the defense will still be packed in.

I'm just a little surprised that in this day of advanced stats and analytics that this hasn't become a strategy/game plan.

The other side of the shot chart is the number of shots in the lane.

You want to shoot from the outside to create space for slashers but also so you can pull the bigs out to the perimeter.

You ideally want to shoot 100% of your shots from inside the lane

As we all know there has been a growing trend to shoot as many 3s as possible and to go away from the mid game. Last year I remember seeing shot charts for Villanova where every shot was either a 3 or inside the lane.

This year I've been hearing a lot from announcers that the best time to get a wide open 3 is right after an offensive rebound. Makes sense, shot goes up and most of the defense crashes the boards leaving the perimeter unguarded.

So it got me wondering why coaches don't instruct their players to look to pass their offensive rebounds out to the perimeter rather than go up right away in traffic and try and get the put back. Granted, you don't want to give up a free layup for a 3 pt shot, but on most rebounds it isn't exactly an easy put back. It's usually contested and in a swarm of bodies. 90% of the time it seem the player will try and force up that put back no matter how difficult or contested it is. Why not instruct the players to look to pass anything that isn't a free layup/dunk?

After all, is there anything better/easier than the uncontested college 3 pointer? I would rather see my team take those as opposed to contested 2 foot shots. Even if they miss the 3, those shots tend to lead to longer rebounds which would give the offensive team a great shot at another rebound since the defense will still be packed in.

I'm just a little surprised that in this day of advanced stats and analytics that this hasn't become a strategy/game plan.
Watch Duke's 2010 team, unless it was a point blank no one around put back all offensive rebounds were passed back out to open 3 point shooters. They killed teams this way.

The other side of the shot chart is the number of shots in the lane.

You want to shoot from the outside to create space for slashers but also so you can pull the bigs out to the perimeter.

You ideally want to shoot 100% of your shots from inside the lane

yep, know all that stuff. I'm talking about strategy specifically relating to what to do with offensive rebounds.

If your main purpose is to get the ball into the paint for easy baskets
Why kick the ball out unless you have 2-3 defenders on you.
If the team crashes the boards I see what you are saying.

Yea I'm only talking about offensive rebounds in traffic.

ADVERTISEMENT