ADVERTISEMENT

State of college basketball

I have no information to back this up but I feel like college basketball has been improving overall. Feels like interest and the sport has grown overall.

The NCAA tourney alone draws so much interest.
Yeah, but one of these teams will win the national championship:

UConn
Florida Atlantic
Creighton/San Diego State
Texas/Miami

And one of FAU/Creighton/San Diego State will play for a national championship....................................

College basketball can do better than that.

Reactions: Erock-conn
Learn to put a complete thought together.

Improving from what? Where is the context?

Assuming it was at a low point, hence the improving comment, when was that?

What was the peak?

What are were comparing it to?

UConn
Florida Atlantic
Texas/Miami

And one of FAU/Creighton/San Diego State will play for a national championship....................................

I don’t think that is bad for basketball. I mean in college football it’s the same SEC schools winning it. I can already tell you it’ll be UGA, LSU or Bama next year.

College basketball still has a large majority of champions that are top 20 programs but there is parody. I don’t think it’s bad to have a FF like this every now and then. Last year we had 3 blue bloods and Nova.

Texas/UCONN are 2 top 15 programs

I don't like the officiating, or the lack of stat power, but I do like the fact that it's way more wide open these days.
Yeah the officiating sucks ass. But I feel like the sport is open to changing things compared to baseball which is not. They need to figure out the block/charge and allow for a little bit for freedom on offense.

Also, it is harder to officiate when teams actually play defense. The NBA is easy to officiate. It’s one pass and then an uncontested shot. I prefer the college style of play

I think NIL will help keep kids in school a bit longer which will help the quality.

UConn
Florida Atlantic
Texas/Miami

Isn’t this what people like you pine for every year? Nobodies ruling the tourney? 😎 😎

UConn
Florida Atlantic
Texas/Miami

How? Is it CBB's fault that Duke, Kansas, UK, UCLA, got beat? Or that UNC didn't even make the tourney?

Mid-majors are getting better---Why? Portal and NIL---but the big reason is, kids are ar a SDSU, FAU, Creighton for 3-4 years....Maybe even 5.

Also, Miami(#10), UConn(#2), Creighton(#6), Texas(#2), were all n the Top 10. SDSU was as high as 14th.

These teams just don't have the sexy names---But make no mistake, these are some relly good teams. A Texas/UConn title game is likely, and really not all that much out of nowhere.

Yeah the officiating sucks ass. But I feel like the sport is open to changing things compared to baseball which is not. They need to figure out the block/charge and allow for a little bit for freedom on offense.

Also, it is harder to officiate when teams actually play defense. The NBA is easy to officiate. It’s one pass and then an uncontested shot. I prefer the college style of play

I think NIL will help keep kids in school a bit longer which will help the quality.
Block/charge is what it is----A tough call. Yeah there are blown calls, sure---But overall, its tough. Understanding leagal guarding position, and maintaining it is a must. I'd like to see less charges called on a secondary defenser sliding in. Change the rule on that.

I think they have done enough in terms of freedom of movement.

Call three seconds...That'll clean the post up. When you are forced to guard a 7-foot giant for 9 seconds, a foul is inevitable..

How? Is it CBB's fault that Duke, Kansas, UK, UCLA, got beat? Or that UNC didn't even make the tourney?

Mid-majors are getting better---Why? Portal and NIL---but the big reason is, kids are ar a SDSU, FAU, Creighton for 3-4 years....Maybe even 5.

Also, Miami(#10), UConn(#2), Creighton(#6), Texas(#2), were all n the Top 10. SDSU was as high as 14th.

These teams just don't have the sexy names---But make no mistake, these are some relly good teams. A Texas/UConn title game is likely, and really not all that much out of nowhere.

Texas and UConn would play in the semifinal. So it can’t be a title game.

But I agree that FAU and Texas and really all the elite 8 teams were very good this year. Just not sexy names.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
The parity in college basketball is insane. It’s not something a KU fan (or any fan of a program like Kansas) should be excited about. I actually think college basketball is dying a slow and painful death, and will continue to do so until the NBA makes rule changes to allow talent to stay longer. NIL is a good start, but there’s only so much the NCAA can do to keep the best players playing college ball and not skipping it.

Btw, one of FAU or San Diego State will play for a NC................

Meanwhile on the other side you have an aspiring blue blood with a head coach that has blue blood connections, and a team that was essentially bought and paid for through NIL.

Obviously one of those latter two schools will proceed to win the national championship.

Immediate transfer eligibility has spread the talent out. Guys aren’t going to think twice about transferring if they’re not playing now.

Hell, Kentucky has a guy that started 26 games that’s apparently leaving because his handlers were unhappy with his role.

Btw, one of FAU or San Diego State will play for a NC................

Meanwhile on the other side you have an aspiring blue blood with a head coach that has blue blood connections, and a team that was essentially bought and paid for through NIL.

Obviously one of those latter two schools will proceed to win the national championship.

Why is everyone saying this “one of SDSU and FAU will play for a title” like it’s some Cinderella story? These were teams that were ranked much of the season. Since Feb 1 they have both been top 15 squads.

Honestly, the biggest “fluke” if you want to call it is Miami. Their D is wayyyyy worse than most final four teams.

I see it getting worse but I look at the 80s and 90s as the golden standard.

Much more star power back then.
College hoops had a bit of a mini renaissance golden age from like 2001 to 2008, too, IMO. Then it seems like since then it hasn’t been quite as high of a level of play. I think a lot of the Final Four teams in that era were just a lot better than the top 10 or whatever teams now.

College hoops had a bit of a mini renaissance golden age from like 2001 to 2008, too, IMO. Then it seems like since then it hasn’t been quite as high of a level of play. I think a lot of the Final Four teams in that era were just a lot better than the top 10 or whatever teams now.

That would be around the time that the OAD era kicked off.

Would any of these teams not destroy the current F4 field?

2001 Duke
2002 Maryland
2003 Syracuse
2004 UConn
2005 UNC
2006 Florida
2007 Florida
2008 Kansas
2009 UNC

2001 Duke
2002 Maryland
2003 Syracuse
2004 UConn
2005 UNC
2006 Florida
2007 Florida
2008 Kansas
2009 UNC
With the possible exception of 2002 Indiana (who made a very unexpected run), I think you could easily say the same for every runner-up in those years, as well.

A little bit of freedom on offense???

I mean, wtf have you been watching.

Last edited:
This was a serious well reasoned question. If you've been a CB fan since the 60's, You would know that CB, like everything else is headed in the wrong direction.
If you are someone who was watching CBB in the 60’s then I’m assuming you hate the transfer portal.

Learn to put a complete thought together.

Improving from what? Where is the context?

Assuming it was at a low point, hence the improving comment, when was that?

What was the peak?

What are were comparing it to?
Nah the best era was around 05-09 ish era right before everyone started following the Derrick Rose/Durant/ Oden one and done train. In 07 for example Durant and DJ Augustine could 't even make it passed the 2nd round at Texas, Curry out in the first round, Westbrook barely even played for UCLA bc Collison etc etc. Talent in the tournament was off the charts back then.

I however disagree with the whole idea of "oh this tourney sucks because no blue bloods" though. I'm having a blast watching teams make history. It's not as if these games are flukes either. If Kansas, Duke, UNC, Kentucky fans are mad well.....field better teams!

2001 Duke
2002 Maryland
2003 Syracuse
2004 UConn
2005 UNC
2006 Florida
2007 Florida
2008 Kansas
2009 UNC
Such a talented era of college bball no doubt. No comparison, but I'd say that about most teams going back 15 or so years. Just not the same lvl of talent save for a select few teams. One and done era changed things.

My take is that the product was starting to weaken several years ago, but the transfer portal has helped to strengthen it. Not at the very top, but overall. It sucks for the really small schools, but among the major conferences and high-level midmajors, the talent is more evenly spread, making it more competitive (which will sometimes look like mediocrity, as everybody's beating each other up).

Compare the last two years to 2021. IMO, the field's been way better overall the last two years. In '21, you had two really good teams at the top and then mostly mediocrity. Those teams at the top were far better than the fringe top 25 teams. Now the margin is small. There really isn't much difference between any of the top 20 or so teams.

You have more teams now that are competitive. Just not as many dominant teams at the top. I would think that's something that people would celebrate, especially those who bitch about bluebloods daily.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT