ADVERTISEMENT

Should WVU or MSU be ranked #1 after today?

Let's compare:

Losses - MSU to Duke by 7. West Virginia to Texas A&M by 23

Advantage clearly MSU

Best wins - MSU over UNC by 18 and 18 over a healthy Notre Dame. West Virginia by 7 over Virginia and 13 over Oklahoma

Advantage slight to WVU

I'd lean MSU.

Maryland was 13-3 when they came to East Lansing Thursday. They got beat by 30.

I’m hesitant to make this comparison this early in the season, but this MSU team reminds me a lot of the ‘09 Tar Heels. Not in any personnel similarities, but in how talented, versatile and deep they were. It’s not that they were always unbeatable...it’s just that when they decided to dial in, they were unbeatable.

I saw that UNC up close and personal at the NC game. They were a machine. I’m seeing that starting to come through in this MSU team.

Reactions: SpartanJD
Better but not by much...one of those whoever is playing at home wins.
Agreed, home team would be favored in those matchups or at least a toss up. MSU has posted some pretty insane def FG % numbers, it would be really tough to beat them. I legitimately think they run the table in their conference

This same comparison keeps popping in my head when I watch MSU. There is a long way to go but this team can be dominate. But one off night and you're done.

Maryland was 13-3 when they came to East Lansing Thursday. They got beat by 30.

I’m hesitant to make this comparison this early in the season, but this MSU team reminds me a lot of the ‘09 Tar Heels. Not in any personnel similarities, but in how talented, versatile and deep they were. It’s not that they were always unbeatable...it’s just that when they decided to dial in, they were unbeatable.

I saw that UNC up close and personal at the NC game. They were a machine. I’m seeing that starting to come through in this MSU team.

Let's compare:

Losses - MSU to Duke by 7. West Virginia to Texas A&M by 23

Advantage clearly MSU

Best wins - MSU over UNC by 18 and 18 over a healthy Notre Dame. West Virginia by 7 over Virginia and 13 over Oklahoma

Advantage slight to WVU

I'd lean MSU.
Not to mention the level of dominance MSU has won by. Not a single game within ten. Beat Notre Dame and UNC by 18. Beat Maryland by 30.

This same comparison keeps popping in my head when I watch MSU. There is a long way to go but this team can be dominate. But one off night and you're done.
Thing is, the odds of an off-night go way down when you’re running 10 deep and everybody plays together. The fact that they assist on 75% of buckets is a great indicator. Not standing around hoping a guy goes off.

There is no dominant team this year in college hoops. Even MSU is beatable
Every team every year is beatable so I'm not sure what you mean by this. MSU is playing the best right now, they have talent, experience, and a lot of length. They should be #1 imo.

Reactions: Hacksaw Jim
OSU scored 7 points in 15 seconds to end the half. Lol.

MSU down 12, not 13

That too

Speaking to this game (in contrast with a veteran ‘09 Heels squad), this is what you sometimes get with a young team. When the wheels wobble a little against a good team on the road, they’re as likely to come off completely as they are to tighten back up.

The 09 Heels still lost 4 games that year, but were never blown out. We’ll see now what MSU does with this. Wake-up call, or potential issue?

Reactions: bMORE607
In any serious evaluation, WVU should be ranked #1.

Perhaps. Would be interesting to see how nova would have fared if AZ/Purdue didn't both lose in the Bahamas. WVU has the better wins thus far.

Big week for both teams with nova getting X and WVU at TTU

I'd put WVU at #1. Nova has already been there and got knocked down once. They dont deserve #1 when they beat Marquette vs WVU beating a top 10 team this week.

Reactions: doogie503
Problem with MSU is that for as good as they are, they’re still really young.

Can't really use being young as an excuse in college hoops anymore. Most of the good teans are young.

Wvu has a freshman and 7 sophs (most are first year juco kids or barely played last year) in their top 10.

OSU scored 7 points in 15 seconds to end the half. Lol.

MSU down 12, not 13
That too

Speaking to this game (in contrast with a veteran ‘09 Heels squad), this is what you sometimes get with a young team. When the wheels wobble a little against a good team on the road, they’re as likely to come off completely as they are to tighten back up.

The 09 Heels still lost 4 games that year, but were never blown out. We’ll see now what MSU does with this. Wake-up call, or potential issue?

I don’t see potential issue. MSU checks every box. Athleticism, size, shooting, depth, chemistry.

Just a shit game.

I understand the excitement for WVU. Hell I think WVU is a top 5 team and wins the Big 12 by 2-3 games. But when fans start pumping their chests out like WVU fans are doing this weekend it usually ends bad for them. Either they lose early and in terrible fashion in the tournament or worse case their team doesn't handle being the "hunted" well and they fall apart 2nd half. Seen it many times. Good luck WVU.

I don’t see potential issue. MSU checks every box. Athleticism, size, shooting, depth, chemistry.

Just a shit game.
Well, that’s the other box that still needs to be checked: handling adversity

It’s one thing to lose. It’s another thing to get stomped out.

I have this as a question mark moving forward, rather than stating unequivocally that they can’t handle adversity. If this is a one-off (‘00 team lost to Wright State), and they learn from it, then that bodes well. If it happens a couple more times, we might have an issue.

Bad loss. I’ve seen this a ton of times with Izzo teams. I’m not sure why but this is like a yearly event.

Congrats to WVU fans I guess.

Onward to the next game to work on things and improve for March.

ADVERTISEMENT