ADVERTISEMENT

Should Villanova fire Jay Wright?

thebasketballreasons

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2013
If you look at Jay Wright's records in NCAA tournament for the last six years since the final four trip 2009, he aint doing much better than John Thompson III. Not a single trip to sweet 16 since 2009, and got upset in round of 32 as No.2 seed twice(to St. Mary's and UConn). Last night the loss as an No.1 seed in round of 32 set a new low for Jay Wright and his choking Villanova Wildcats, and it has become clear that the third round(previously known as second round) is as far as he will ever go.

Do you think its time for Villanova to fire him? After all, its obvious that Georgetown Hoyas should fire JTIII but they choose not to because of his father JT. jr who was a legend at the school, which is understandable. I dont think Jay Wright has a father with enough influence at the university to save his job like JTIII has at Georgetown. It also seems that he has been living on the reputation of a successful final four trip in 2009 for way too long, its been more than 5 years, the past is in the past. What do you think?

this might be the dumbest post I have read. Plain stupid. Wins 33 games (most in school history), wins the BE tournament.
At Villanova it isn't all about final 4's. Different agenda.

Do the kids graduate? Yes. The president/alumni care about other things. This isn't Big State U where all they care about is the sport. Jay represents the school 1st class. So do the kids. No trash talking/ acting like fools. And yes they do win.

And Jay has the #1 point guard joining a team with a top 5 backcourt from this year. They will have the #1 backcourt in America next year with Arch, Ennis, Brunson and phil Booth (who will be 1st team BE). Booth is a pro. Hart is apro. Ochefu returns. This team will be preseason top 10 ....AGAIN. ANd after that , and after that. Omari Shpellman coming in (top20 big man). Jay is riding high. He will figure his NCAA issues out. Keep putting out 1 or 2 seeds and the ball will roll your away eventually. He has been to 2 sweet 16s, a final 8 and a final 4. He didn't forget how to coach. Get used to another 25 + win year and #1 in BE. Then we will see after that. Awesome year. Can't wait for the team banquet to honor 2 great seniors. Who will graduate and are 1st class

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Originally posted by brill:

this might be the dumbest post I have read. Plain stupid. Wins 33 games (most in school history), wins the BE tournament.

Do the kids graduate? Yes. The president/alumni care about other things. This isn't Big State U where all they care about is the sport. Jay represents the school 1st class. So do the kids. No trash talking/ acting like fools. And yes they do win.

And Jay has the #1 point guard joining a team with a top 5 backcourt from this year. They will have the #1 backcourt in America next year with Arch, Ennis, Brunson and phil Booth (who will be 1st team BE). Booth is a pro. Hart is apro. Ochefu returns. This team will be preseason top 10 ....AGAIN. ANd after that , and after that. Omari Shpellman coming in (top20 big man). Jay is riding high. He will figure his NCAA issues out. Keep putting out 1 or 2 seeds and the ball will roll your away eventually. He has been to 2 sweet 16s, a final 8 and a final 4. He didn't forget how to coach. Get used to another 25 + win year and #1 in BE. Then we will see after that. Awesome year. Can't wait for the team banquet to honor 2 great seniors. Who will graduate and are 1st class
Oh yeah another 25+ wins season ending with a round of 32 or even round of 64 exit, does this make an awesome season? My experience told me that choke artists never learn, to say Jay Wright will figure his NCAA issues out is as unrealistic as to count on JTIII to learn not to choke in March madness. I know you are more than satisfied with a mere successful regular season, but how about the other fans? From the crying cheerleader on your team, I can see not everyone feels that winning big east is enough to make her happy.

This post was edited on 3/22 8:58 AM by thebasketballreasons

Originally posted by thebasketballreasons:
If you look at Jay Wright's records in NCAA tournament for the last six years since the final four trip 2009, he aint doing much better than John Thompson III. Not a single trip to sweet 16 since 2009, and got upset in round of 32 as No.2 seed twice(to St. Mary's and UConn). Last night the loss as an No.1 seed in round of 32 set a new low for Jay Wright and his choking Villanova Wildcats, and it has become clear that the third round(previously known as second round) is as far as he will ever go.

Do you think its time for Villanova to fire him? After all, its obvious that Georgetown Hoyas should fire JTIII but they choose not to because of his father JT. jr who was a legend at the school, which is understandable. I dont think Jay Wright has a father with enough influence at the university to save his job like JTIII has at Georgetown. It also seems that he has been living on the reputation of a successful final four trip in 2009 for way too long, its been more than 5 years, the past is in the past. What do you think?
Who do you replace him with that is a better coach? It's Villanova not UK or UNC.

Originally posted by Spacegrass:

Who do you replace him with that is a better coach? It's Villanova not UK or UNC.
There are many good prospects available, even if they aint you can always give a shot to a younger coach or even assistant coach. Brad Stevens is already in NBA but if he ever gets fired he can be a good candidates. Shaka Smart is still a very high caliber coach and the last two NCAA tournament upsets were due to him not having a healthy team. How about Archie Miller at Dayton? Two consecutive successful NCAA tournament run, and it was no mere coincidence. Chris Mack on Xavier is also doing as good as Thad Matta and Sean Miller have with this team. You see? When you open your eyes there aint lack of possible candidates. And like I said, if a team like Villanova cannot attract these coaches, they can always try giving it a shot to their own assistant coaches. After all, young and successful NCAA tournament coaches like Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart all start as assistant coaches not long time ago, dont they?

Yes, young assistant is the way to go, IMO. Give them a chance.

laugh.r191677.gif
None of this can be real.

Originally posted by Spacegrass:

Brad Stevens to Nova.

Maybe not the dumbest post ever, we've had a lot of dumb posts here lately, but still pretty F'ing dumb. I can't tell if OP is serious or not, sadly I think he's serious.

This post was edited on 3/22 2:19 PM by BassCat75

I am very close to the program; know a lot of people involved. I went to school there. Let me just say there is absolutely NO WAY he ever leaves. EVER. Nova absolutely loves him. We aren't Kentucky. We have totally different priorities and agendas. As long as he does nothing to embarrass the school like Syracuse and UNC he is a lifer. 1st class guy. All the coaches respect and like him. The alumni LOVE him for what he has done for the school. Let's remember from 1988-2005 this team DID NOT get past the 1st weekend. Then Jay got us past 4 times. He will get past this. Brining in two Mc Donalds' all americans in next 2 seasons and has 6 of the 8 guys back next year. The beat will go on,.He will learn how to fix this. He has 450 wins. He knows what he is doing. WE graduate our kids. I know every one of them.Class acts. They go to class. It is a 6,500 person school. Not Kansas or Kent

I would love to have Jay Wright at Iowa State when Fred Hoiberg signs with the Bulls!

:)

78C

I think the bloom is off of him. As in the big name schools like Kentucky, UNC, etc, wouldn't be after him as much as they might have been in the past. But fired? No. Not for years to come.

His tourney resume is rough but I don't see Nova getting anyone better so better to stick with continuity and regular season success.

Originally posted by stakesarehigh:

His tourney resume is rough but I don't see Nova getting anyone better so better to stick with continuity and regular season success.
If so its kinda unfortunate, its a bit sad to see the flute girl crying like this, but if Jay Wright stays with Nova this will become regular scene in NCAA tournament, and moreover, in round of 32 or even 64.

No, they shouldn't.

However, I agree that the parallels with the Georgetown argument is the same. Both guys haven't done much at all in the last 5 years. Wright gets more talent too.

Archie Miller isn't leaving Dayton for Villanova. That is pretty much a lateral move in terms of what both schools can pay him. The New Big East is only slightly better than the A-10, not substantially better. The facilities and fan support at Dayton exceed Villanova. Not happening. Archie will eventually leave Dayton, but it will be to either his Alma Mater, NC St, his hometown Pitt, Ohio St or a top notch caliber program where he has legit chances to win a national championship year in and year out (see his brother at AZ as an example).

Oh yeah another 25+ wins season ending with a round of 32 or even round of 64 exit, does this make an awesome season?
For some programs yes it does. Notre Dame in the Sweet 16 is awesome. Would our players and fan base like to make an Elite 8 or Final Four? Hell yeah. But we're not Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke. We don't define our season on how we do in the tournament. Nova had a fantastic year, same with Virginia. To us 30 regular season wins and an opportunity to do some damage in the NCAA Tournament is enough, regardless when we go out.

Originally posted by anthonycharles:
Archie Miller isn't leaving Dayton for Villanova. That is pretty much a lateral move in terms of what both schools can pay him. The New Big East is only slightly better than the A-10, not substantially better. The facilities and fan support at Dayton exceed Villanova. Not happening. Archie will eventually leave Dayton, but it will be to either his Alma Mater, NC St, his hometown Pitt, Ohio St or a top notch caliber program where he has legit chances to win a national championship year in and year out (see his brother at AZ as an example).
Are you serious? Lol

I love how everyone says go after Shaka Smart. What has he done since that Final 4 year? Not like he is tearing it up

Fire Jay Wright and watch whatever program that picks him up become exponentially better than Villanova within 4 years.

Originally posted by Chicubsfan24:
Guys, stop this madness. She's already been through enough.
piccolo-tears-are-the-saddest-tears_1.gif
Well if Villanova does not fire Jay Wright, this or another similar scene will happen again next year and then the year after next year, etc.

It's a regular tear factory up in Philly PA. As an outside party, that's fine with me too. Funny .gifs are funny.

spacegrass why?

He has two top 25 recruits coming in next 2 years Jalen Brunson and Omari Spellman. Both are pros. Jay is fine. He loves Nova. Won't ever leave. And he will continue to win 25 games a year. Eventually, the percentages play out and he goes further in the tourney. Starting next year. Top 10 team.....Again

spacegrass why?

He has two top 25 recruits coming in next 2 years Jalen Brunson and Omari Spellman. Both are pros. Jay is fine. He loves Nova. Won't ever leave. And he will continue to win 25 games a year. Eventually, the percentages play out and he goes further in the tourney. Starting next year. Top 10 team.....Again
Brunson is a STUD. He can absolutely stroke it, and he plays with some gnarly attitude. This is what he has to say to haters
brunson1.jpg

Send him packing! The guy only went 33-3 this year. Obviously Rollie won the NC but this was the best overall season of Nova basketball ever!

For a board full of moronic posts made by clowns that shockingly can even figure out how to turn a computer on...I'd have to put this thread somewhere in the Top 5.

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:
For a board full of moronic posts made by clowns that shockingly can even figure out how to turn a computer on...I'd have to put this thread somewhere in the Top 5.
We have a bunch of tourney week "additions" to the board that I'm pretty sure only discovered basketball a week ago. Either that, or it took them the whole season to figure out how to turn their computers on. It'll be addition by subtraction when these "additions" crawl back to wherever they came from.

I parti- I didn't even take this thread seriously. It's a laughable joke. Let's say Jay went 17-14 last year and 18-13 this year would people say fire him? If those records got him into the tourney and they were a 12 or 10 seed. No. nobody would even bring it up. This is the record of many teams in power leagues that we aren't even talking about.

So instead a coach goes 29-5 and 33-3 and some moron suggest firing him??? That equals 62-8 which is the best 2 year record of anyone. We have a different agenda at Villanova. It's a small (6,500) school that prides itself on family. We treat our players like family. It's not big State U where you don't even care when they leave b/c someone else is coming in to replace.

The first thing I said after our loss was I hurt that I won't see Darrun Hilliard and Jayvaughn Pinkston play again in a Nova uniform. That's what hurts. I have met them many times. My daughter adores them. It's a community feel. Probably like a Gonzaga is. OUr goal is to graduate 100% (which we have for last few decades and most don't care about that), and represent the school proudly and with class. Winning comes after all that. If Jay gets a sweet 16 every 5 years the school is proud. We are not Kentucky.

And to think Jay will be back in next year for the12 out of 13 years it is remarkable at OUR School. In fact, how many programs will say they have been to 12 of last 13?? How many? That is what matters. Once the tourney starts, it's a crap shoot. Ball bounces this way or that way and GREAT teams lose. WE were great. And lost. It's life. I cannot wait til our banquet next month to shake Jayvaughns and Darrun's hands and say Thank you for 33 great nights this year. No other program can say that. Except Kent and maybe 1 or 2 others. SPecial. We will be back and will be an odds on favorite to be a top 3 or 4 seed again. The percentages play out. Next year, we may get the luck or the break and advance.

Be in the conversation. That's all any coach wants. Be in the hunt. We will next year again
This post was edited on 3/23 10:56 AM by brill

cyclone- you do have an awesome coach. Love hoiberg

Did he become a bad coach over 1 game?? Heck no. That is what irks me. Did Jay wright become a bad coach over last 2 years winning 63 games? Heck no. He was great when he beat 1 seed Pitt and 2 seed Duke and went to the final 4 or elite 8 in 2006 and now he isn't? So dumb

Like Jim Boeheim said ( who I despise btw): I didn't all of a sudden become a great coach in 2003 whn I won a national championship. He had Melo, went on a great run and got a title. So be it. Everyone said he wasn't good prior to that or "choked" and then all of a sudden he is good. So absurd and makes little sense. Hoiberg and Jay both have special programs and will continue to win 20-25 games as along as they are at their schools. 1 year it will go their way, 1 year it won't. It's who can do it over time. Coach K, Izzo, boeheim all won over many years. League titles, tourney runs. Let's remember Jim Calhoun didn't win his 1st title until he was 57. Jay Wright is 53. Hoiberg is also young. Jay will have many more chances especially if he keeps rolling thru unbelievable regular seasons and landing top 2 or 3 seeds. Odds go your way eventually

I parti- I didn't even take this thread seriously. It's a laughable joke. Let's say Jay went 17-14 last year and 18-13 this year would people say fire him? If those records got him into the tourney and they were a 12 or 10 seed. No. nobody would even bring it up. This is the record of many teams in power leagues that we aren't even talking about.

So instead a coach goes 29-5 and 33-3 and some moron suggest firing him??? That equals 62-8 which is the best 2 year record of anyone. We have a different agenda at Villanova. It's a small (6,500) school that prides itself on family. We treat our players like family. It's not big State U where you don't even care when they leave b/c someone else is coming in to replace.

The first thing I said after our loss was I hurt that I won't see Darrun Hilliard and Jayvaughn Pinkston play again in a Nova uniform. That's what hurts. I have met them many times. My daughter adores them. It's a community feel. Probably like a Gonzaga is. OUr goal is to graduate 100% (which we have for last few decades and most don't care about that), and represent the school proudly and with class. Winning comes after all that. If Jay gets a sweet 16 every 5 years the school is proud. We are not Kentucky.

And to think Jay will be back in next year for the12 out of 13 years it is remarkable at OUR School. In fact, how many programs will say they have been to 12 of last 13?? How many? That is what matters. Once the tourney starts, it's a crap shoot. Ball bounces this way or that way and GREAT teams lose. WE were great. And lost. It's life. I cannot wait til our banquet next month to shake Jayvaughns and Darrun's hands and say Thank you for 33 great nights this year. No other program can say that. Except Kent and maybe 1 or 2 others. SPecial. We will be back and will be an odds on favorite to be a top 3 or 4 seed again. The percentages play out. Next year, we may get the luck or the break and advance.

Be in the conversation. That's all any coach wants. Be in the hunt. We will next year again
This post was edited on 3/23 10:56 AM by brill
Honest question...does early flame outs upset you? As a fan I mean? were you "in the hunt" if you lose in the first weekend??

Originally posted by ManRoar:
Honest question...does early flame outs upset you? As a fan I mean? were you "in the hunt" if you lose in the first weekend??
Umm... they were a number #1 seed with a record of 33-2. Yeah, I'd say they were "in the hunt".

Originally posted by GoldenAlley:
Originally posted by ManRoar:
Umm... they were a number #1 seed with a record of 33-2. Yeah, I'd say they were "in the hunt".
and lost in the 1st weekend...not much hunting going on there. Umm...ya know?

So instead a coach goes 29-5 and 33-3 and some moron suggest firing him??? That equals 62-8 which is the best 2 year record of anyone.
62-8 in last two years and yet never made it past the first weekend of NCAA march madness, how sweet it is. If I were a Villanova Wildcats fan I'd not have much patience left, especially considering he did the same thing in 2010 losing to a No.10 seed St. Mary's.

ADVERTISEMENT