ADVERTISEMENT

SEC releases Basketball Pre Season Poll. Did they get it right?

Parhelion

Oct 16, 2017
1- Kentucky
2- UF
3- UofSCar
4- LSU
5- AUB
6- UofT
7- Alabama
8- Miss State
9- Ole Miss
10- UGA
11- Arkansas
12- Texas AM

Looks right to me.

You could make an argument but I think the top three is pretty clear

Michigan State
Kentucky
Kansas

I would have Florida at 4 or 5 though, they are gonna be really good.
I was talking about the SEC....But same difference really. The more I look at FLorida, man the more I like that team. No doubt MSU, UK and KU have the goods. Especially MSU. Loaded with talent, AND experience. But man, I think with the Gators getting Kerry, it puts them in that level.

UK or Florida. IMO, couldn't go wrong with either. Florida picking up Blackshear though may have slightly pushed them ahead of UK.

If FL doesn't change their offensive philosophy, and we'll see if White has it in him to just that, they may slide down the list 2 or 3. Needs to reduce the 3's and increase the 2's.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
If FL doesn't change their offensive philosophy, and we'll see if White has it in him to just that, they may slide down the list 2 or 3. Needs to reduce the 3's and increase the 2's.
I think we will see a change---somewhat. Blackshear didn't come to FLorida to watch them jack up a ton of three's. So his presence alone should change their approach. If not, then White is a dumb ass.Laughing

You could make an argument but I think the top three is pretty clear

Michigan State
Kentucky
Kansas

I would have Florida at 4 or 5 though, they are gonna be really good.

Nothing is clear yet. Remember, Duke was expected to be a step below the top few last year.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Obviously all speculation at this point but what else can you do in mid October
giphy.gif

Hunting-Dreams.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grandviewoutdoors.com%2Fuploads%2Fimages%2FSuppressed-Squirrel-Hunting.jpg

close-image-old-used-baseball-260nw-539107291.jpg

Lots of things, bro...

Reactions: JimboBBN
With the tradition Arkansas has there is no excuse for them to be projected this low in this league. Who the hell is coaching them this year? Do they have nothing?

Going to a couple Halloween parties this Saturday night. I will post a picture of my costume on this board. You guys will love it, except for a few ;)
Hey, wife and I are going to a Halloween Party this Saturday; after my baseball game. I will post our costumes as well. Fcvk who knows---maybe ONE of your parties, is the same party I'll be at?

Naaaah,.....Couldn't happen.

Right?:eek:

I’d probably have Auburn 3rd in the SEC, but LSU should be good too.

Does anyone else think Tennessee at 5 is a couple spots too high? Is the middle to bottom of the SEC that bad this year?

Reactions: olsonab
I’d probably have Auburn 3rd in the SEC, but LSU should be good too.

Does anyone else think Tennessee at 5 is a couple spots too high? Is the middle to bottom of the SEC that bad this year?
Meh, not really. They return Bowden, Turner and Fulkerson. They lost and return about as much Auburn and LSU; All three teams lost a bulk of their production. Tenn adds Josiah James as well. Also, the rest of the SEC, sans maybe Alabama(?), just isn't that great. Tenn is about where they should be, IMO.

UK or Florida. IMO, couldn't go wrong with either. Florida picking up Blackshear though may have slightly pushed them ahead of UK.
Yeah, at this point I would pick Florida. I will need some convincing before I'm sold on the UK front court, which is very suspect unless Richards and Montgomery have improved drastically (and have learned how not to foul).

Yeah, at this point I would pick Florida. I will need some convincing before I'm sold on the UK front court, which is very suspect unless Richards and Montgomery have improved drastically (and have learned how not to foul).
Agree, not bashing UK at all but this should be UF's season to lose.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Meh, not really. They return Bowden, Turner and Fulkerson. They lost and return about as much Auburn and LSU; All three teams lost a bulk of their production. Tenn adds Josiah James as well. Also, the rest of the SEC, sans maybe Alabama(?), just isn't that great. Tenn is about where they should be, IMO.

Sounds like Tennessee is as average as I think they might be, but the bottom half of the SEC is just not that good.

Reactions: KisteK
Sounds like Tennessee is as average as I think they might be, but the bottom half of the SEC is just not that good.
Probably...But I mean, there are 14 teams in the SEC. IMO, Tenn could end up just as good as AU or LSU. Or, well they could end up as bad as ALabama or Miss St.

Alabama will be without the services of Juwan Gary (incoming 4-star freshmen) and James Rojas (JUCO 1st Team All-American). Both sustained injuries that will likely keep them out for the year. Bama will still be good, but their depth is certainly taking a hit.

Alabama will be without the services of Juwan Gary (incoming 4-star freshmen) and James Rojas (JUCO 1st Team All-American). Both sustained injuries that will likely keep them out for the year. Bama will still be good, but their depth is certainly taking a hit.
Damn, for real? That sucks.

I see what ya are doing here....Winking

I think as of now, its a 2 horse race: UK and UF
I'm not doing anything.

Human emotions extracted. UF should be the preseason favorites. They have a very veteran group that should put our boys to shame. Seriously, it's the ultimate test of experience vs. talent....or even a coaches challenge. Cal with his 9/10 guys(one is still rehabbing), only 4 of them returned, and UF with all the experience and Mike White's coaching.

Let's go. lets see who's better.

don't give me shit where ppl say, 'Oh UK has more talent" and then they say out of their side of their mouth "experienrence means more". UK has nine guys. Let's see who wins.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase. I always get a kick out of folks who say "UK should have won more" while ignoring a)their own championships(lack thereof, and piss poor developing with a decent class) and b)all the while shitting on UK's players. UK clearly isn't perfect, but with 38 wins (twice), and a title, we're as close to perfect as any other teams has been. :p

I am feeling a little extra motivated for this and next years team.

One thing I like best about Duke is they actually stepped up their recruiting. Same as UNC recently. So their fans can't use that lame duck excuse. It's reserved for ppl of teams who recruit for shit and don't do shit in the tournament. You know who you are."well, well well, if we had those players..." Yeah, i'm sour.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1 and RipThru
I'm not doing anything.

Human emotions extracted. UF should be the preseason favorites. They have a very veteran group that should put our boys to shame. Seriously, it's the ultimate test of experience vs. talent....or even a coaches challenge. Cal with his 9/10 guys(one is still rehabbing), only 4 of them returned, and UF with all the experience and Mike White's coaching.

don't give me shit where ppl say, 'Oh UK has more talent" and then they say out of their side of their mouth "experienrence means more". UK has nine guys. Let's see who wins.

I’m not even sure UK has more talent. At least not significantly. Scottie Lewis, Nembhard, Blackshear, plus a few other mid 4 stars. UF has loads of talent.

Mike White just doesn’t seem to know how to harness all the talent and get it to coalesce. Cal has proven he can do that.

Javonte Smart, Emmitt Williams, and Trendon Watford = Better than half the players who made the cut.

Let me rephrase. I always get a kick out of folks who say "UK should have won more" while ignoring a)their own championships(lack thereof, and piss poor developing with a decent class) and b)all the while shitting on UK's players. UK clearly isn't perfect, but with 38 wins (twice), and a title, we're as close to perfect as any other teams has been. :p

I am feeling a little extra motivated for this and next years team.

One thing I like best about Duke is they actually stepped up their recruiting. Same as UNC recently. So their fans can't use that lame duck excuse. It's reserved for ppl of teams who recruit for shit and don't do shit in the tournament. You know who you are."well, well well, if we had those players..." Yeah, i'm sour.

For someone who claims to hate trolling, you sure troll a lot.

Btw, given the state of college recruiting, I’m not sure that it’s the most appropriate time to belittle others’ recruiting. There’s probably a reason that the Bennetts and Beileins have lower-ranked recruits, beyond style of play or pedigree.

For someone who claims to hate trolling, you sure troll a lot.

Btw, given the state of college recruiting, I’m not sure that it’s the most appropriate time to belittle others’ recruiting. There’s probably a reason that the Bennetts and Beileins have lower-ranked recruits, beyond style of play or pedigree.
OK thanks.

How long does Frank Martin get to live off of the final 4 run before his seat starts to warm up? They always seem to exceed their preseason SEC ranking but have not exactly been lighting the world on fire. Just curious on the boards thoughts.

How long does Frank Martin get to live off of the final 4 run before his seat starts to warm up? They always seem to exceed their preseason SEC ranking but have not exactly been lighting the world on fire. Just curious on the boards thoughts.

I don’t get it. He took a garbage school to the final four a few years back and always exceeds expectations, but he should be on the hot seat?

Reactions: KisteK
Martin never won under 20 @ K St and a FF @ S. Carolina is pretty impressive - it was just 2 years ago. If they were to remove him the next man up wouldn't have near his resume. I'm pretty sure he is beloved in the community and his players obviously love him. Wouldn't be stunned if they put together a bubble season this year their G is legit, name escaping me.

I don’t get it. He took a garbage school to the final four a few years back and always exceeds expectations, but he should be on the hot seat?

That’s fair, but he’s 33-32 since then and it’s not expected to get much better. The low preseason expectations are the result of a bad roster/recruiting, so I’m not sure how much credit to give to that. He wasn’t able to capitalize on that run to put anything else together.

Not a great program, no doubt. But 1 NCAA tournament and 1 NIT in 7 years isn’t great. Does him having 1 good run as a 7 seed make him a lifer? Or would another 2 or 3 years of 0.500 basketball have them asking for more? I think he’s a good coach, but few coaches are untouchable at their job. Is he one of them?

That’s fair, but he’s 33-32 since then and it’s not expected to get much better. The low preseason expectations are the result of a bad roster/recruiting, so I’m not sure how much credit to give to that. He wasn’t able to capitalize on that run to put anything else together.

Not a great program, no doubt. But 1 NCAA tournament and 1 NIT in 7 years isn’t great. Does him having 1 good run as a 7 seed make him a lifer? Or would another 2 or 3 years of 0.500 basketball have them asking for more? I think he’s a good coach, but few coaches are untouchable at their job. Is he one of them?

Not expected by who? Everyone actually paying attention to the program is laughing at the preseason ranking. They said the same thing last year and we finished 4th in the conference. This is easily his most athletically gifted team yet, and probably more talented overall than the FF team. If he doesn't take the program dancing this year there will be grumbles because it's fully expected locally that this team is easily tournament material. The trajectory of the program is solidly pointed up, so again, not sure what expectations you're referring to.

Not expected by who? Everyone actually paying attention to the program is laughing at the preseason ranking. They said the same thing last year and we finished 4th in the conference. This is easily his most athletically gifted team yet, and probably more talented overall than the FF team. If he doesn't take the program dancing this year there will be grumbles because it's fully expected locally that this team is easily tournament material. The trajectory of the program is solidly pointed up, so again, not sure what expectations you're referring to.

Thanks for the response. Not expected by the SEC writers (thus the #10 preseason conference ranking).

I like Frank Martin so I’m hoping he can put it together and get back to the tournament.

I'm not doing anything.

Ummmmm, Lurker???? Florida isn't going to be some veteran group, brother....Projected line-up:

PG: Nembhard----Sophomore..His back-ups are both freshman.
SG: Locke---Sophomore....Back up is a freshman
SF: Lewis----Freshman.....BAck up a sophomore
PF: Johnson---Sophomore....Back up is a freshman
C: Blackshear---Graduate transfer....Back up is a freshman.

The core of their team is mainly Freshman and Sophomore's.

ADVERTISEMENT