ADVERTISEMENT

Richest forum members?

I feel like I make decent money for my age but I spend a lot of it rather than invest or save it.

Every since my accident I'm barely getting by with a family of 5. I had a job that after the 5th year in, it was paying me almost $180k a year. Now, I'm just happy if I can work 10 months out of the year. But, I have great kids and an amazing wife who most definitely married down, but were all still happy. Well, were happy when the utilities aren't turned off for non payment lol.

However, I'd be lying if I acted like it wasn't an absolute brutal adjustment getting used to living like this! One of the hardest days my wife and I have ever had was when we told the kids that the way we've been living since my accident was a complete lie. We held onto all the materialistic items that we thought were important way to long. So, when we finally admitted to ourselves that we cant keep this up anymore, it was too late. Our kids went from waking up to their perfect upper middle class lifestyle to going to sleep not knowing if they would have a house/bedroom when they got home from school.

Bad times!!!!
Hard times brother. Stay strong.

I appreciate it, but many worse off then we are! I haven't met a doctor yet who isn't amazed that at best, I'm not paralyzed, and at worst dead. So, no matter how hard something might be, it without a doubt can and should have been been much worse.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Wife and I are both in the surgical sales/pharmaceutical sales. We both pull in low-to-middle 6 figure salaries. We do OK. Ultimately though, I have learned through a prior divorce from my exwife (who was a very successful pediatric dentist) that money does not make you happy. Lack of it might make you unhappy, but money can't repair it.

I don't have expensive hobbies, live in a nice home, make a couple of extra payments a year on it. I like doing simple things, hiking, landscaping, things like that. I consider myself rich in experiences and family.

"We bring home over 500k combined" and "we do OK" don't go together.

Wife and I have been DINKs (dual income no kids) for 30 years now. Have accumulated a very low 7 figure investment portfolio. Both in our 50s, but continue to work just to have a purpose and remain active. The main thing is we live modestly and spend frugally in order to travel extensively.

Doubtful. Her husband recently passed away so I doubt she’s ready for some new dick
No real reason. But this made me think of this gif.

proxy-163_zpsrmtc7os7.gif

I think we should all take over Rivals, since we all know everything there is to know about everything... We could make a killing.

Reactions: SNU0821
Im not rich by any means, but if I were... that sounds like a pretty stressful retirement. I just want to fish, hike, troll message boards and go to QDoba once a day when I retire. Also, I want to be one of the guys who gets breakfast every morning at a small diner. If I live that long and do that, I’ll call it a successful life and bow out.
You seem like a Dixie Hwy kinda guy tbh

Money isn't everything. We sold our technology company (I was a very minority owner) to Comcast three years ago. I made good money and got a bump post acquisition to north of $300K but was miserable working for that wretched company. I walked away 2 years ago and became part owner of a startup brewery and distillery and bring home less than half that but am happier than I've been in a long time.

Now if I could just get my wife and kids to understand the financial situation!!

Reactions: KisteK and SNU0821
It blows my mind how much money some of you guys make. One second I feel like I'm doing good for my age and the next I feel like a poor.

Just compare yourself to me then. You can feel rich.

I do agree money helps. I definitely agree lack of it can really hurt. We may not be rich but I doubt there is anyone that can be much more happier in life than I am. That is really what it is all about.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Just compare yourself to me then. You can feel rich.

I do agree money helps. I definitely agree lack of it can really hurt. We may not be rich but I doubt there is anyone that can be much more happier in life than I am. That is really what it is all about.

You do come off as one of the happier posters here. You seem like the person that could step in dog shit and smile that you at least had shoes on when it happened

I’m piss poor but I work two jobs (911 dispatcher, Lawn Care business) and make sure my kid has everything he needs and a few things he don’t need. I do the best I can and I have a pretty good kid so I’m ok I guess.

I’m definitely in the bottom tier because I was born physically disabled and get monthly disability checks. By the end of this year I will have gotten a little north of $9,000 from disability.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
I’m piss poor but I work two jobs (911 dispatcher, Lawn Care business) and make sure my kid has everything he needs and a few things he don’t need. I do the best I can and I have a pretty good kid so I’m ok I guess.
Oh man, I bet you have some stories. What's the craziest 911 call you've ever gotten?

Wife and I are both in the surgical sales/pharmaceutical sales. We both pull in low-to-middle 6 figure salaries. We do OK. Ultimately though, I have learned through a prior divorce from my exwife (who was a very successful pediatric dentist) that money does not make you happy. Lack of it might make you unhappy, but money can't repair it.

I don't have expensive hobbies, live in a nice home, make a couple of extra payments a year on it. I like doing simple things, hiking, landscaping, things like that. I consider myself rich in experiences and family.

Lmao....something you'll only hear in a 1st world country.

I wish it was even close to that much. Think much lower. As in barely into 6 figures ea.

Lol...I sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, feel so sorry for you.

In all seriousness, as a single guy, you've got a pretty good financial situation. Not positive, but I think you said that you didn't have any kids? If that's the case, and if you live in Kentucky, you would almost have enough to buy that castle in Versailles.

Oh man, I bet you have some stories. What's the craziest 911 call you've ever gotten?

Craziest? My first day on the job I had a guy call towards the end of my shift and he was whispering to me on the phone that he had been kidnapped and was tied down to a bed but was able to call for help because whoever took him forgot to take his phone. He said he could see them walking up and down the hallway and he could hear them talking and they was going to kill him. Turned out to be an older guy in the nursing home who heard the nurses walking up and down the halls doing their two hour rounds! Scared the shit outta me!!!

I’ve had some really bad calls involving kids and people committing suicide but it’s stuff I don’t really like talking about. Kinda stuff you keep replaying over and over in your mind even though you don’t want to.

Craziest? My first day on the job I had a guy call towards the end of my shift and he was whispering to me on the phone that he had been kidnapped and was tied down to a bed but was able to call for help because whoever took him forgot to take his phone. He said he could see them walking up and down the hallway and he could hear them talking and they was going to kill him. Turned out to be an older guy in the nursing home who heard the nurses walking up and down the halls doing their two hour rounds! Scared the shit outta me!!!

I’ve had some really bad calls involving kids and people committing suicide but it’s stuff I don’t really like talking about. Kinda stuff you keep replaying over and over in your mind even though you don’t want to.
That's nuts! Yeah, couldn't imagine some of the horrible stuff you hear. The nursing home story is pretty damn funny though. Laughing I am guessing he had Alzheimer's or some other form of dementia.

Reactions: Scotty00
Lol...I sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, feel so sorry for you.

In all seriousness, as a single guy, you've got a pretty good financial situation. Not positive, but I think you said that you didn't have any kids? If that's the case, and if you live in Kentucky, you would almost have enough to buy that castle in Versailles.
I actually have 6 kids (we both have 2 from previous marriage, and 2 together). It takes a little bit of money to keep that going. jumpingsmile

ADVERTISEMENT