ADVERTISEMENT

Richest forum members?

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
So not sure... do we know who the richest forum members are?

Any seven figure earners on here?

People north of a half a million a year?

My guess it’s @TheDude1. I feel like he has some multi million dollar home in the rich part of New Jersey and just collects guns and makes toys all day.

Reactions: jhmossy
There was a thread on the main board where like 50% said they couldn’t retire with less than 25k a month so they could support their spending habits.

Budget included:

Country Club benefits
Beach club benefits
3k for vacations per month
Maid service
Car payments
Enough money to spend at least $100 a day on food

I must be doing it wrong.

There was a thread on the main board where like 50% said they couldn’t retire with less than 25k a month so they could support their spending habits.

Budget included:

Country Club benefits
Beach club benefits
3k for vacations per month
Maid service
Car payments
Enough money to spend at least $100 a day on food

I must be doing it wrong.
It's usually the same posters who make those claims on there and they normally can't wait to post about their finances in any thread where it's a topic. I tend to believe a lot of them over there when they talk about it, but not all of course.

Reactions: bkingUK
It's usually the same posters who make those claims on there and they normally can't wait to post about their finances in any thread where it's a topic. I tend to believe a lot of them over there when they talk about it, but not all of course.

Im not rich by any means, but if I were... that sounds like a pretty stressful retirement. I just want to fish, hike, troll message boards and go to QDoba once a day when I retire. Also, I want to be one of the guys who gets breakfast every morning at a small diner. If I live that long and do that, I’ll call it a successful life and bow out.

Definitely not the richest right now.

When my mom and Aunt both die, I might be in contention.

I'm also putting a ton of money into retirement each month.

Reactions: KisteK
Im not rich by any means, but if I were... that sounds like a pretty stressful retirement. I just want to fish, hike, troll message boards and go to QDoba once a day when I retire. Also, I want to be one of the guys who gets breakfast every morning at a small diner. If I live that long and do that, I’ll call it a successful life and bow out.
That sounds pretty great. I just want enough monthly oil/gas royalties coming in to support the lifestyle of my choosing at the time I decide to retire. Fishing, traveling, golfing, etc.

Reactions: toonces11
I have been married for 49 years, three children and granddaughter live with in 10 minutes, and live in a great area of the Kansas City Metroplex. I get all of KU's basketball games and this year the second weekend of March Madness will be downtown at the Sprint Center a couple weeks after the Big 12 tournament. I have a wealth of intangibles and while not rich I have enough to see my wife and I through the rest of our lives without going broke.

yeah not me, I make low 6 figures (like as low as you can get) so I am comfortable but I'm not at all rich.

Reactions: KisteK
yeah not me, I make low 6 figures (like as low as you can get) so I am comfortable but I'm not at all rich.

I feel like if I made low six figures I would be close to considering myself rich, though cost of living here is really low so that would play a part. My wife and I are both teachers so we are not wealthy. We aren't stupid though so we are not hurting either.

Also, I golf at the local country club every week. I'm not a member though. So I can act like I'm rich sometimes. Related to that, I did leave a pair of Bolle sunglasses in the cart a couple of weeks ago and no one turned them in. It is crap for dudes driving Maseratis or Beamers to take a pair of scratched up 10 year old sunglasses.

I feel like if I made low six figures I would be close to considering myself rich, though cost of living here is really low so that would play a part. My wife and I are both teachers so we are not wealthy. We aren't stupid though so we are not hurting either.

Also, I golf at the local country club every week. I'm not a member though. So I can act like I'm rich sometimes. Related to that, I did leave a pair of Bolle sunglasses in the cart a couple of weeks ago and no one turned them in. It is crap for dudes driving Maseratis or Beamers to take a pair of scratched up 10 year old sunglasses.
making $125,000 and supporting a household isn't exactly rolling in cash. If you and your wife are both educators you probably combine for something close to that. Plus after taxes it's nowhere near $125K. That being said I'm not college educated so I don't have all the debt that goes with it and I'm able to save quite a bit of money each year and invest it or buy goofy things like a pimped out golf cart and pay cash by living below our means rather than beyond it like most people do.

But I am a member of a golf club so suck it.

I think cost of living makes a big difference in how "rich" you feel. We have a 2,300 sq ft house with a separated garage. 1.25 acres, which is somewhat misleading because only .7 acres is maintainable property. The rest is either creek or flood way. And we bought it for $216,000. The same sq ft house on a cookie cutter .25 acre lot in town would go for $350,000 easy.

It's also in how you live and what you consider important aspects of your life. We have two cars, a 2004 and a 2008. Both paid for. We take care of both and keep them looking nice. We don't need a new car every 3-5 years. We like to go on vacation every year and not having car payments helps us there.

I over spend on beer and entertainment. Those are my two biggest flaws. But neither keep us from living within our means. We don't go out as much because that has gotten really expensive nowadays. But I grill every night and we don't go hungry.

As far as retiring goes. We make a $150 extra payment per month towards the principal of our Mortgage and an extra payment at the end of the year. We were advised that by doing that, we could have our 30yr loan paid off in under 17 years. My dream is to sell an already paid for house and move to St Kitts. We'll see if that becomes reality.

I have been married for 49 years, three children and granddaughter live with in 10 minutes, and live in a great area of the Kansas City Metroplex. I get all of KU's basketball games and this year the second weekend of March Madness will be downtown at the Sprint Center a couple weeks after the Big 12 tournament. I have a wealth of intangibles and while not rich I have enough to see my wife and I through the rest of our lives without going broke.
Do you have cox cable?

I think cost of living makes a big difference in how "rich" you feel. We have a 2,300 sq ft house with a separated garage. 1.25 acres, which is somewhat misleading because only .7 acres is maintainable property. The rest is either creek or flood way. And we bought it for $216,000. The same sq ft house on a cookie cutter .25 acre lot in town would go for $350,000 easy.

It's also in how you live and what you consider important aspects of your life. We have two cars, a 2004 and a 2008. Both paid for. We take care of both and keep them looking nice. We don't need a new car every 3-5 years. We like to go on vacation every year and not having car payments helps us there.

I over spend on beer and entertainment. Those are my two biggest flaws. But neither keep us from living within our means. We don't go out as much because that has gotten really expensive nowadays. But I grill every night and we don't go hungry.

As far as retiring goes. We make a $150 extra payment per month towards the principal of our Mortgage and an extra payment at the end of the year. We were advised that by doing that, we could have our 30yr loan paid off in under 17 years. My dream is to sell an already paid for house and move to St Kitts. We'll see if that becomes reality.
Yeah i have a 2,100 sq foot ranch on 1/3 acre in a subdivision that I bought for $120K but could sell now for around $160-170K and a rental home that the renter is paying down my mortgage on plus I make like $150/month off of. Other than that i have no loans, I drive a 2010 Tundra, wife has an 08 Escape that are both paid off. I pay cash for everything except cars and homes, credit cards and financing furniture/appliances is dumb unless you're going to pay it off immediately. Most people spend money as quickly as they bring it in (a constant fight I have with my wife) and live paycheck to paycheck. I've been poor before and never intend on that happening again so I am very frugal.

Definitely not the richest right now.

When my mom and Aunt both die, I might be in contention.

I'm also putting a ton of money into retirement each month.
It's disturbing that you said "when" and not "if" your mom and aunt happen to die before you....:eek:

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
I’m in the top 1% but not in the seven figures range. I’m a little under 40 and have (so far) made some pretty good career choices. We’ll see how things continue but I am definitely comfortable at this point in time.

Last edited:
It's disturbing that you said "when" and not "if" your mom and aunt happen to die before you....:eek:

Well, they're both significantly older than I am so it's a pretty realistic claim to make. Also, "if" I die before my mom and aunt, then the money doesn't matter anyways.

Reactions: bignish and tw3301
Yeah i have a 2,100 sq foot ranch on 1/3 acre in a subdivision that I bought for $120K but could sell now for around $160-170K and a rental home that the renter is paying down my mortgage on plus I make like $150/month off of. Other than that i have no loans, I drive a 2010 Tundra, wife has an 08 Escape that are both paid off. I pay cash for everything except cars and homes, credit cards and financing furniture/appliances is dumb unless you're going to pay it off immediately. Most people spend money as quickly as they bring it in (a constant fight I have with my wife) and live paycheck to paycheck. I've been poor before and never intend on that happening again so I am very frugal.
I agree with most everything you say except for paying cash for everything and saying credit cards are dumb. You can literally get thousands of dollars a year back in perks if you do it right, but yeah, just be smart and pay them off fully every month.

There's a really long thread on the mainboard about credit cards that's worth reading if you have a subscription. You don't even have to be a big spender to get back some awesome rewards. There's rotating categories that pay you back 5% on some cards, sign up bonuses can give you 50-100K points for some cards where you then can swap them for points for other carriers. It's not impossible to be an average spender and get free flights and hotels paid for 1-2 times a year just by really playing around with the opportunities your credit cards will give you.

We did our furniture on a 60 month interest free finance. And I did get a refrigerator financed for 24 months interest free. But yeah, those high interest credit cards are what get people in trouble. I put that in the living above your means category. I was 30 years old before I even applied for a credit card and that was only because I needed to rent a car.

Well, they're both significantly older than I am so it's a pretty realistic claim to make. Also, "if" I die before my mom and aunt, then the money doesn't matter anyways.
I hope they donate it all to charity and you're left stuck in Arkansas.

Reactions: jhmossy
Ohio, between Cincinnati and Dayton.
I'm in West Chester. Which club are you a member of? I can't justify the higher club prices so I'm happy to be a member of Hamilton Elks.

oh, so cheap AF, lol. you living like a king there!
eh, kinda. I actually make less than probably 90% of my friends that live in the exact same town or surrounding area. most of them have their own businesses though or are in the mortgage/title business... or they're financial advisers that live in $750,000 homes with lake houses, boats docked in Lake Erie and Florida, etc.

Reactions: coryfly
ADVERTISEMENT