ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking seven major conferences as March approaches

KStateFootball82

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2017
Including American here too, which is undoubtedly better than the PAC to boot. Maybe even Big East. Last year Big 12 undisputed #1. Taking a backseat this year to the ACC and B1G, IMO even with conference RPI for the 6th season in a row locked.

1) ACC - too many top teams to not put #1 here this year, albeit top heavy. 3-4 FF contenders. Can see 6 teams in the second weekend honestly.

2) B1G - also a ton of strength at the top half. 2 FF contenders. Indiana falling off hurt depth of conference, but can see 3-4 standing in the second weekend.

3) Big 12 - sadly, prob zero FF contenders, but very tough top to bottom as usual. 2-3 teams in second weekend.

4) SEC - 2 FF contenders and prob the best it’s ever been as a b-ball conference. 2-3 in second weekend.

5) Big East - down year but Nova and Marquette solid. No FF contenders IMO but Nova never know.

6) American - Cincy and Houston could make runs. Houston has something to prove after last year’s exit. Can see them in Elite 8 this year.

7) Pac 12 - WTF.

Last year Big 12 undisputed #1. Taking a backseat this year to the ACC and B1G, IMO even with conference RPI for the 6th season in a row locked.

3) Big 12 - sadly, prob zero FF contenders, but very tough top to bottom as usual. 2-3 teams in second weekend.

4) SEC - 2 FF contenders and prob the best it’s ever been as a b-ball conference. 2-3 in second weekend.

Seems objective.

Last year Big 12 undisputed #1. Taking a backseat this year to the ACC and B1G, IMO even with conference RPI for the 6th season in a row locked.

Seems objective.

I still said SEC in its best place as a bball conference ever right now and of late. Making big strides.

However, still not top 3. It’s getting close tho.

1) big 12 higher conference RPI by a mile > SEC
2) Big 12 won the H2H challenge 6-4
3) Big 12 has 8/10 teams in tourney as of today, SEC maybe 6-7 out of 14?

Pretty easy

However, SEC usually does well in the tourney tho considering it’s been a poor depth conference typically during regular season historically. Now it’s got solid depth so will be interesting to see how March goes.

I still said SEC in its best place as a bball conference ever right now and of late. Making big strides.

Pretty easy

However, SEC usually does well in the tourney tho considering it’s been a poor depth conference typically during regular season historically. Now it’s got solid depth so will be interesting to see how March goes.

Saying the Big12 is better because they won the H2H challenge this year is very disengenuous to say the least. SEC sat out 3 ranked teams for that challenge.

Pretty easy

Saying the Big12 is better because they won the H2H challenge this year is very disengenuous to say the least. SEC sat out 3 ranked teams for that challenge.

And our worst team played their best team. Our 3rd beat their best already this season.

Me could go in circles...bottom line, we won.

The match ups had unfairness on both sides.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every conference except the Big10 is worse this year as opposed to last year.

CBB is way down in general this year. A bad freshman class and then tons of injuries have seen to that.

And our worst team played their best team. Our 3rd beat their best already this season.

The fact that three SEC ranked teams didn't even participate in the challenge, and the fact that BIG12's worst team had to play the SEC's "best" team are equivalent to you? I didn't fact check anything in this post, but if they were accurate this is a super biased stance to take. Laughing

Edit: Fixed my broken English.

The fact that three SEC ranked teams didn't even participate in the challenge, and its the fact that BIG12's worst team had to play the SEC's "best" team are equivalent to you? I didn't fact check anything in this post, but if they were accurate this is a super biased stance to take. Laughing

Right? There's logic and then there's people who went to KState I guess.

The fact that three SEC ranked teams didn't even participate in the challenge, and the fact that BIG12's worst team had to play the SEC's "best" team are equivalent to you? I didn't fact check anything in this post, but if they were accurate this is a super biased stance to take. Laughing

BUT RPI!!!!!!!

Swear to god, you would never know that the B12 hasn’t produced a modern era champ outside of Kansas, who have won 2 titles since 95% of this board has been alive.

Correct. Match ups should have been if made in December instead of February 2018

Tech/Tenn
KU/UK was fine - always for blue blood reasons
Kstate/SCjr - frank Martin vs old team
ISU/LSU
Baylor/Bama was fine
OU/Miss State or Ole Miss
Texas/Auburn or Miss State
TCU/Florida was fine
Okie State/Arkansas
WVU/A&M - 10th place vs 10th place

Big 12 would still win 6-4 or 7-3

Look up the facts. The big 12 already beat the SEC in the non-con even....KU already beat Tenn. several other B12 and SEC have already played

Okie State beat LSU
Kstate beat mizzou
Etc

Last edited:
Big 12 really hit hard by injuries.

Facts, and eligibility ....

KU - Doke, Silvio
Tech - 2 star freshman
Baylor - 2 best players in Lindsay and Clark.
Texas - Andrew Young

Now kstate with Diarra

WVU and Okie State - whole teams lol

Facts, and eligibility ....

KU - Doke, Silvio
Tech - 2 star freshman
Baylor - 2 best players in Lindsay and Clark.
Texas - Andrew Young

Now kstate with Diarra

WVU and Okie State - whole teams lol
TCU lost their senior PG as well I think.

You must be an SEC homer

Look back at pre challenge Big 12 sec record bud.

Non con H2H before the challenge
What does any of that have to do with anything I have said in this thread?
The fact that three SEC ranked teams didn't even participate in the challenge, and the fact that BIG12's worst team had to play the SEC's "best" team are equivalent to you?

This is what we are discussing, and your opinion is so biased a Michigan fan laughed at it as well.

You must be an SEC homer

Look back at pre challenge Big 12 sec record bud.

Non con H2H before the challenge
What does any of that have to do with anything I have said in this thread?
The fact that three SEC ranked teams didn't even participate in the challenge, and the fact that BIG12's worst team had to play the SEC's "best" team are equivalent to you?

This is what we are discussing, and your opinion is so biased a Michigan fan laughed at it as well.

You didn’t address my point above and then just want to blindly berate my stance. Standard SEC mentality.

Big 12 SEC record, including challenge and non Challenge games. Take a Look.

Conference challenges are fun but they really don't mean much in terms of overall strength of the conference. Small sample size, unbalanced matchups, certian teams not being included..... Fun but not a good indicator of conference strength.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

WVU played Tennessee, not Kentucky.

You mean the Kentucky that won the SEC championship last year only lose to kstate in the sweet 16?

I can get cute too ;)

Reactions: JimboBBN
Depends on what you value. Me, I value overall conference strength and top end strength.

The BIG10 and BIG12 are great conferences, but they lack NCAA title threats.

The BIG12 seems to be exactly the same every year. There's KU that seems to always be a threat to win a title, then there are a bunch of other teams that are good, but are never a threat to win a title. To me, that's boring as hell. This year is no different, only it's worse since KU is down.

The BIG10 has had some tournament success lately with Michigan twice and Wisconsin making it to the title game. I still think UM and/or MSU could make the FF, but their chances aren't as strong as the 2 teams at the top of the SEC.

I would put the SEC in second place this year based on what it has at the top (UK, LSU and UT). The BIG12 can't compete with that and if you think this year's BIG12/SEC challenge meant anything at all, you aren't very intelligent.

However, I could easily make arrangements for the other 2 conferences to be in that 2nd slot. I just feel the top of the SEC is too strong to ignore.

You didn’t address my point above and then just want to blindly berate my stance. Standard SEC mentality.

Because your point above was irrelevant to our conversation. I haven't even made a claim about which conference I think is better, so where exactly is my "typical SEC mentality"? Talk about a weak ass strawman, GTFO

PS: It is sad that you have to lean on your conference so hard to begin with. Perhaps your conference should make some noise in March before you go beating your chest. If you would like my biased opinion, your conference isn't very good if a single team has won it for 5 decades straight.

Last edited:
Reactions: kyjeff1

Because your point above was irrelevant to our conversation. I haven't even made a claim about which conference I think is better, so where exactly is my "typical SEC mentality"? Talk about a weak ass strawman, GTFO

PS: It is sad that you have to lean on your conference so hard to begin with. Perhaps your conference should make some noise in March before you go beating your chest. If you would like my biased opinion, your conference isn't very good if a single team has won it for 5 decades straight.

Interesting opinions / post. I’d like to address:

My “Leaning on the league”: K-State will win the league this year. No need to lean on conference, more so stating the Big 12 is superior to the SEC in basketball. Period.

“More Noise in March”: 3/8 in elite 8 teams last year, one being KState who beat your champ to get there. SEC was shutout of the Elite 8. Big 12 Likely a record 8/10 (80%) in the tourney this year.

Big 12 SEC challenge record since inception: 4-1-1

We are conf RPI #1 every year the last 6 years bc we have little to no dead weight. We may not have 3 blue bloods like the ACC, but it’s tough every game in the XII. No other conference can boast that and thus the #1 RPI. March is improving of late ...

Hmmm

Last edited:
Didn't the SEC have 3 of the Elite 8 just 2 years ago. Also arguable that another SEC school gave the Tar Holes their toughest competition of the whole tournament in the round of 32 (Arkansas).
They did, but only one made the final four. Congrats to SC. They were the weakest of the three but played when it counted.

I was terribly disappointed that they did not get their first title. It was not because I was not yelling and screaming. I thinks the Zags are always overrated.

Note I am considering the whole conference, not just the top.
The ACC has the best top of conference but also a pretty bad bottom. Miami, BC, GT, Pitt and WF all probably come in last in the Big Ten, and ND comes in 2nd to last.

The Big 12 lacks an elite team but 8 out of 10 teams are legit tournament teams.

Big East is having a down year with no great teams but similar to the Big Ten there is no Big East team that is terrible. Miami, BC, GT, Pitt, and WF all finish last in that conference as well.

In terms of relative difference, I would say:
Big 10 > Big 12 > or ~= ACC > SEC >> Big East >>>>>AAC > Pac 12

The AAC is what you would expect from a conference that is not really a power conference. Sure, Houston is great, and Cincinnati is good, and UCF is decent, but Memphis on down are all pretty bad and ECU/Tulane are dreadful.

That the PAC 12 manages to be worse than that is pretty amazing, but the best they have is .. lol .. Washington who is good, but that's about it. Arizona St, Oregon, Oregon St, and Utah are all respectable but not good enough to even make the tournament, and California is insanely bad for a power conference team.

The difference between the Big 10 and the Pac 12 is approximately the same as the difference between the Pac 12 and the Atlantic Sun. Lol Pac 12 indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT