ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking of the conferences in major sports....

TheMasterVader

Dec 30, 2017
ACC
2nd in basketball
3rd in football
4th in baseball

B1G
3rd in basketball
1st in football
5th in baseball

Big XII
1st in basketball
2nd in football
2nd in baseball

PAC 12
5th in basketball
5th in football
3rd in baseball

SEC
4th in basketball
4th in football
1st in baseball

Ranking in major sports combinded
1. Big XII
2. B1G
3. SEC
4. ACC
5. PAC 12

B1G, SEC and ACC are neck to neck.
SEC might pass the ACC in football tomorrow.

Big XII
1st in basketball
2nd in football
2nd in baseball

1. Big XII
2. B1G
3. SEC
4. ACC
5. PAC 12

I'd tell you to eat it, but if you don't know what to do by now, I'm already bored..
tumblr_o5mqlzb2wK1um9ggyo1_250.gif

tots_and_pears_by_jmr_art-daaei7a.jpg

If you are including hoops, you are missing one of the top 3 conferences, so one of those should be ranked 6th

Baseball isn't a major college sport.

ACC
2nd in basketball
3rd in football
4th in baseball

B1G
3rd in basketball
1st in football
5th in baseball

Big XII
1st in basketball
2nd in football
2nd in baseball

PAC 12
5th in basketball
5th in football
3rd in baseball

SEC
4th in basketball
4th in football
1st in baseball

1. Big XII
2. B1G
3. SEC
4. ACC
5. PAC 12

Reactions: northeastspartan
Agree, PAC 12 is probably 6th in hoops (might be 5 ahead of SEC), but SEC is clearly number 1 in football

Not this year but normally I'd agree with you.

The SEC East alone is the possibility the worst division in college football.

Agree, PAC 12 is probably 6th in hoops (might be 5 ahead of SEC), but SEC is clearly number 1 in football
Whether serious or joking, you should get a job writing for the Onion. In fact, it would be better for your career there if you were serious.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
Whether serious or joking, you should get a job writing for the Onion. In fact, it would be better for your career there if you were serious.

SEC has 2 in the football championship (#1) and the Big East is clearly ahead of the SEC and Pac12 in hoops.

There aren't three major college sports. And if there is, I'm pretty sure it's women's basketball. If you include baseball then you might as well include hockey...it's regional and certainly not major.

SEC has 2 in the football championship (#1) and the Big East is clearly ahead of the SEC and Pac12 in hoops.
SEC's football credentials are rather schizoid. While they have 2 teams in the football championship, they went 2-5 in other bowl games. Wasn't arguing about the Big East hoops, but that PAC12 hoops is underrated. Washington and UCLA have recorded victories on the home court of blue bloods Kansas and Kentucky this year, and Utah demolished Missouri. I know Arizona can be maligned for some early season hiccups, but I don't think anyone would want to play them now that they have their team fully assembled.

Reactions: Bruiser1
SEC's football credentials are rather schizoid. While they have 2 teams in the football championship, they went 2-5 in other bowl games. Wasn't arguing about the Big East hoops, but that PAC12 hoops is underrated. Washington and UCLA have recorded victories on the home court of blue bloods Kansas and Kentucky this year, and Utah demolished Missouri. I know Arizona can be maligned for some early season hiccups, but I don't think anyone would want to play them now that they have their team fully assembled.

The UCLA/Kentucky game was on a neutral court.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Living in Texas and married to an TAMU undergrad, I have watch the transition from the Big 12 to SEC.

My wife and I lived in NC for 13 years. Went to grad school at Duke and loved the ACC.

I find the ACC the very best in basketball, BUT there is no collective fan base like the SEC. I have never heard chants for ACC, Big East, Big 12, PAC 12. Go to a SEC game and at some point there will be an outburst of SEC, SEC, SEC!

Hard to rank conferences, but if it were just on pride and braggadocio SEC gets it. Period.

There is no consensus 3rd most important sport after Football and Basketball in college.

The Midwest/Boston area is big on hockey, the Mid-Atlantic/Colorado region is big on lacrosse and the South/Texas is all about baseball.

The last two posts by Duke fans are spot on.

In the last 25 years the ACC conference is best in basketball and I really don't have any argument against that. But I am one that feels that UNC and Duke can't get close to the Kentucky basketball following. In the last 25 years Duke basketball can't be beat and UNC has pilled up a lot of titles this century, but the fan following and loyalty is not the same as with UK. Even during the Gillispie era UK continued the following.

The Big Blue Mist is hard to get away from.

In football the following in the B1G and SEC are massive; however, the SEC teams are always better and more numerous. The record since the football playoff systems prove it.

2017 Alabama or Georgia
2016 Clemson
2015 Alabama
2014 Ohio State
2013 Florida State
2012 Alabama
2011 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2009 Alabama
2008 Florida
2007 Louisiana State
2006 Florida

2005 Texas
2004 Southern California
2003 Louisiana State
2002 Ohio State
2001 Miami (Fla.)
2000 Oklahoma
1999 Florida State
1998 Tennessee

That was not an insult Bruiser, just recognition of the truth.

You simply think too highly of a mid-major conference. The truth is that your teams would not survive or thrive in a real conference.

Just wrong. Funny, but wrong.

70% of conference made the tourney last year and the National Champion the year before.

Last edited:
Just wrong. Funny, but wrong.

70% of conference made the tourney last year and the National Champion the year before.
That is what is funny.

The putrid SEC had three elite eight teams last year. Of course they got few invites because the stupid NCAA put in a bunch of your undeserving teams in the tourney. Hell they dropped out worse than those horrible SEC teams.

Big Least

Yep, same thing happens every year. Kentucky gets beat by much more experienced teams in December. Hopefully UCLA is in our bracket again.
Got nothing against Kentucky, but they hardly seem as daunting this year. Maybe they mesh, but as of now there are two teams that share their nickname (Arizona and Villanova) that I'd take over them in March.

Got nothing against Kentucky, but they hardly seem as daunting this year. Maybe they mesh, but as of now there are two teams that share their nickname (Arizona and Villanova) that I'd take over them in March.
LMAO, THIS Kentucky team is made up of 90% freshmen and it's January 2nd.
They may look just okay right now, but if you think they are going to stay that way, you are sadly mistaken.
Not to mention UK is missing Jarred Vanderbilt, who could very well be its best player along with another stud shooter.
By March, those not named Duke, Michigan State or Arizona will want no part of this team.
Put all that in perspective when you watch UK play, your opinion will change.

LMAO, THIS Kentucky team is made up of 90% freshmen and it's January 2nd.
They may look just okay right now, but if you think they are going to stay that way, you are sadly mistaken.
Not to mention UK is missing Jarred Vanderbilt, who could very well be its best player along with another stud shooter.
By March, those not named Duke, Michigan State or Arizona will want no part of this team.
Put all that in perspective when you watch UK play, your opinion will change.
I know they're very talented, but as I said I'd take Arizona and Villanova over them. No shame in that. I really don't even care if I'm wrong.

I know they're very talented, but as I said I'd take Arizona and Villanova over them. No shame in that. I really don't even care if I'm wrong.
I'd take Arizona and Villanova over 95% of teams out there. It's great you just put UK in the same sentence as them. I'd throw in Duke and MSU as well.

So are you putting them in your Final Four or Elite Eight?

Reactions: kyjeff1
I'd take Arizona and Villanova over 95% of teams out there. It's great you just put UK in the same sentence as them. I'd throw in Duke and MSU as well.

So are you putting them in your Final Four or Elite Eight?
I put them in the same sentence, just as I'd put DePaul in the same sentence by taking Arizona and Villanova over them. Off hand, I'd say that Kentucky has a remote possibility of making the Elite Eight.

3 of the Elites from last year in Gonzaga, Kentucky, and UNC, all seem fairly modest in comparison to their 2017 seasons. They just have the feel of 4/5 seeds that go out in the round of 32 or Sweet 16.

College World Series draws in more than 300,000 people in attendance for the 16 games. This last year all 16 games averaged over 22,000 people in attendance. The championship game had a peak of 2.6 million viewers

The NCAA women’s basketball tournament had 225,000 in attendance but that’s for the entire tournament. The Final Four has 39,000 people attend. Television numbers for the FF averaged a live audience peak of 2.75 million people.

The NCAA Frozen Four has game numbers that are similar to the ones above (20k fans) but the total amount of viewers is usually right around 500,000.

The Women’s College World Series has around 75,000 people in attendance. The highest amount of television viewers it sees looks like it’s just shy of 2,000,000.

Going off the numbers above it’s obvious that hockey is not considered the 3rd biggest college sport. It certainly is at a handful of colleges but the NCAA is made up of a lot more than just a handful of colleges. Baseball, softball and women’s basketball all have an argument.

FYI, I know many of you on this board don’t think too highly of baseball but it is easily the 2nd biggest sport in this country and it’s really not even close. It generates more revenue than any other league sport in the world except for the NFL. This includes the Premier League in Europe.

Reactions: kelley2403
People say the same thing every year and then the brackets come out and they see UK in their region....

Reactions: kyjeff1
Baseball is fairly profitable in the professional ranks, not so much for the collegiate teams.

1.png

ADVERTISEMENT