3. Ucla
4. Auburn
5. Duke .
6. Arizona
7. Kansas
8. LSU
9. Mich st.
10. Purdue

just missed. USC. Haven’t played anyone and hardly played at all for last couple weeks.

Reactions: Tigerocker
Pretty good list imo.

Not sure lsu is a top ten team, but the week they put together warrants them being there imo even if both games were at home.

not sure who id replace em with either 🤷‍♂️ Maybe uk, whoch sounds stupid bc lsu beat em, but i hate uk so i dont say this lightly, they would have won if either wheeler or washington hadnt gotten hurt. But if ifs and buts were wishes and nuts wed all be happy.

Pretty good list imo.

Not sure lsu is a top ten team, but the week they put together warrants them being there imo even if both games were at home.

not sure who id replace em with either 🤷‍♂️ Maybe uk, whoch sounds stupid bc lsu beat em, but i hate uk so i dont say this lightly, they would have won if either wheeler or washington hadnt gotten hurt. But if ifs and buts were wishes and nuts wed all be happy.
I mean LSU best two wins of the season came last week. USC is undefeated so you could put them in there at 10 but they have literally played no one

Also Houston and Gonzaga seem to be getting a lot of tread out of last years result. Neither team is very good and Chet Gil teen is the most overrated nba talent in years. Dude will be out of the nba within 4-5 years

1. Baylor
2. Arizona
3. Purdue
4. Gonzaga
5. UCLA
6. Kansas
7. Duke
8. Auburn
9. Villanova
10. Kentucky

1. Baylor
2. Arizona
3. Purdue
4. Gonzaga
5. UCLA
6. Kansas
7. Duke
8. Auburn
9. Villanova
10. Kentucky
You are keeping Purdue that high? Even with another loss last Friday? Why do you have Kentucky ahead of LSU? LSU beat them just last week

You are keeping Purdue that high? Even with another loss last Friday?

Yes. Their ceiling is really, really high. 3rd in the country in rebounding margin. 4th in the country in 3-point percentage. They're not perfect; the defense could certainly get better. But, they're goin to be a crazy tough out in March.

Why do you have Kentucky ahead of LSU? LSU beat them just last week

If played on a neutral court at full strength, I'm going to favor Kentucky. But LSU was at home, and Kentucky was without their point guard. Also, it wasn't like it was a resounding victory. They sealed the win in the final seconds with the steal and dunk.

Reactions: GE Nole
Yes. Their ceiling is really, really high. 3rd in the country in rebounding margin. 4th in the country in 3-point percentage. They're not perfect; the defense could certainly get better. But, they're goin to be a crazy tough out in March.

If played on a neutral court at full strength, I'm going to favor Kentucky. But LSU was at home, and Kentucky was without their point guard. Also, it wasn't like it was a resounding victory. They sealed the win in the final seconds with the steal and dunk.
Ah. You are one of those types when it comes to ranking? All about your perception of what you think should happen verses what has actually happen? Also trusting Purdue in March? LOL Do you know Purdue basketball history at all?

Reactions: ReturnOfOakboy1
Ah. You are one of those types when it comes to ranking? All about your perception of what you think should happen verses what has actually happen? Also trusting Purdue in March? LOL Do you know Purdue basketball history at all?

I've watched every team in the KenPom top 40, minus USC. I think I have a pretty good feel for which teams stand out. Purdue lost on a halfcourt buzzer-beater and they lost a close one to Wisconsin. They're still top 5 good.

I've watched every team in the KenPom top 40, minus USC. I think I have a pretty good feel for which teams stand out. Purdue lost on a halfcourt buzzer-beater and they lost a close one to Wisconsin. They're still top 5 good.

defense seems to be rising to the top. Auburn has been dominating on defense

I will say I very much enjoy watching Walker Kessler play. Dude covers a lot of space on the defensive end. That game against LSU was one of the best individual performances I've seen all season.
It will be hard to score on auburn with him out there. He fouled out the other night and barely played in 2nd half. Auburn doesn’t have to worry about doubling anybody with him behind. Then having 6’10 Jabari right next to him and good luck scoring inside. Teams will have to be on fire from 3 to beat auburn

Reactions: dukedevilz
It will be hard to score on auburn with him out there. He fouled out the other night and barely played in 2nd half. Auburn doesn’t have to worry about doubling anybody with him behind. Then having 6’10 Jabari right next to him and good luck scoring inside. Teams will have to be on fire from 3 to beat auburn

Auburn definitely has Final Four potential. Kessler is one of the best defenders, and Smith is one of the best overall talents in college basketball. Though, I think I've been most surprised by the play of Wendell Green.

A lot of these mid-major guys struggle when they transfer up. In the 2019-20 season, Ryan Woolridge (Gonzaga, via North Texas) was the only player that grad transferred from a mid-major to a power school and averaged double-figures. It happens quite frequently where these guys transferring up go from 16+ ppg to 4-6 ppg. So, point guard play was my biggest concern for Auburn to start the season, but Green has answered the bell emphatically. And who knows how things might look in a month once Allen Flanigan is fully acclimated. Very talented team, no question.

Reactions: olsonab
Auburn definitely has Final Four potential. Kessler is one of the best defenders, and Smith is one of the best overall talents in college basketball. Though, I think I've been most surprised by the play of Wendell Green.

A lot of these mid-major guys struggle when they transfer up. In the 2019-20 season, Ryan Woolridge (Gonzaga, via North Texas) was the only player that grad transferred from a mid-major to a power school and averaged double-figures. It happens quite frequently where these guys transferring up go from 16+ ppg to 4-6 ppg. So, point guard play was my biggest concern for Auburn to start the season, but Green has answered the bell emphatically. And who knows how things might look in a month once Allen Flanigan is fully acclimated. Very talented team, no question.
Wendell struggled early in the season when he was starting. He is actually coming off the bench now but still playing more minutes than zep jasper. The now starter. I don’t know why but Wendell seems much better off the bench

Reactions: dukedevilz
Kentucky doesn't have a single decent win on the year.

Basically true. They did beat UNC by 29 points, however. While UNC isn't nationally elite, they're still a tournament team that is capable of winning a game or two in March.

They have three close losses and all of their wins are by double-digits. That's why they're in the KenPom top 10. And talent-wise, they're also a top 10 team.

Basically true. They did beat UNC by 29 points, however. While UNC isn't nationally elite, they're still a tournament team that is capable of winning a game or two in March.

They have three close losses and all of their wins are by double-digits. That's why they're in the KenPom top 10. And talent-wise, they're also a top 10 team.
At some point it has to be what actually transpires on the floor. Beating little sisters of the poor by 10+ doesn't mean much. 1 quad1/quad 2 win and 9-0 vs quad 4. Play somebody and beat them.

At some point it has to be what actually transpires on the floor. Beating little sisters of the poor by 10+ doesn't mean much. 1 quad1/quad 2 win and 9-0 vs quad 4. Play somebody and beat them.

We'll find out real soon. Their next 4 games are all Quad 1. And 11 of their remaining 16 regular season games are Quad 1.

Sample size is too low at this point, obviously. But it's low for quite a few teams. Arizona and Houston are ranked 2nd and 3rd in the Net - and they're a combined 1-3 in Quad 1 games.

Reactions: jwardelt
We'll find out real soon. Their next 4 games are all Quad 1. And 11 of their remaining 16 regular season games are Quad 1.

Sample size is too low at this point, obviously. But it's low for quite a few teams. Arizona and Houston are ranked 2nd and 3rd in the Net - and they're a combined 1-3 in Quad 1 games.
The season is half over. If you don’t have good wins by now you should be ranked in the appropriate spot. Kentucky’s resume isn’t close to top 10.

Pretty good list imo.

I don't see LSU there either, They got really lucky against us. After no point guards in the game we scored 10 pts in the last 9 minutes. Without Wheeler or Washington, we were lucky to be in the game. Not to mention Oscar missed 9 minutes in the first half and we shot terrible in that half.

You are keeping Purdue that high? Even with another loss last Friday? Why do you have Kentucky ahead of LSU? LSU beat them just last week
Kansas isn't even close to being in AU league either so they need to take a back seat. LSU is pretty good but they have scoring issues against good teams and got lucky against UK with those gaurd problems. I'd put them in the 10 to 14 range although they will win most games at home like everyone else. AU is Top 5 and will be a solid Dance team.

WTF does that have to do with anything? And why the **** would you bring up someone's basketball history? Auburn has 10 NCAAT bids----Period.

WTF kinda of stupid ass take is this shit?

WTF does that have to do with anything? And why the **** would you bring up someone's basketball history? Auburn has 10 NCAAT bids----Period.

WTF kinda of stupid ass take is this shit?
The fact that Auburn as crappy as we have been has more final 4’s than Purdue does in the last 40 years pretty much tells the story

The fact that Auburn as crappy as we have been has more final 4’s than Purdue does in the last 40 years pretty much tells the story
Its your ONLY Final Four.. Auburn has TEN TOTAL NCAAT's.

10, bro....Chatta-FUKIN--Nooga has more NCATT appearances than Auburn. As does Montana, Idaho State, Winthrop, Ohio, Pepperdine....

And b/c you go to your first Final Four EVER, and only your 2nd Elite 8, you gonna talk program shit?

JFC, dude...

Its your ONLY Final Four.. Auburn has TEN TOTAL NCAAT's.

10, bro....Chatta-FUKIN--Nooga has more NCATT appearances than Auburn. As does Montana, Idaho State, Winthrop, Ohio, Pepperdine....

And b/c you go to your first Final Four EVER, and only your 2nd Elite 8, you gonna talk program shit?

JFC, dude...
So this is what iu fans have become now? Purdue beat coach in history didn’t make a final 4. Defenders of Purdue? Iu fan really?is Because IU can’t beat Purdue anymore. I will take auburns current squad over Purdue for sure. Will take auburn under pearl for the next 5-10 years as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
So this is what iu fans have become now? Purdue beat coach in history didn’t make a final 4. Defenders of Purdue? Iu fan really?is Because IU can’t beat Purdue anymore. I will take auburns current squad over Purdue for sure. Will take auburn under pearl for the next 5-10 years as well.
I'm not defending Purdue---I 'm pointing out your absolute stunning ignorance...and stupidity. "Program bragging" from a team with 10 total NCAAT is ****ing the dumbest shit ever.

I'm not defending Purdue---I 'm pointing your absolute stunning ignorance...
Pointing out that the team with the most big ten championships of all time routinely has sucked in March is not Ignorance. Matt painter is a part of this. Auburn has a more successful tournament coach than painter. What Auburn did prior to pearl is not relevant as he has changed auburn. Matt painter on the other hand has basically been the exact same as gene keady. Great regular season coach. Sub par tournament coach. Thus it’s fair to point out Purdue March issues as their current coach has had issues as well.

Pointing out that the team with the most big ten championships of all time routinely has sucked in March is not Ignorance. Matt painter is a part of this. Auburn has a more successful tournament coach than painter. What Auburn did prior to pearl is not relevant as he has changed auburn. Matt painter on the other hand has basically been the exact same as gene keady. Great regular season coach. Sub par tournament coach. Thus it’s fair to point out Purdue March issues as their current coach has had issues as well.
WIll you quit guessing, and do some actual research?

Both have 5 SW 16's
BOth have 1 Elite 8
Pearl does have a Final Four; Painter was a miracle shot away from a FF.
Both have missed the NCAAT 4 times...

Yeah----Big diffeence, bro...

BTW, I love Pearl. Know the guy. Helped me get into officiating, but....He has missed the NCAAT 4 times, had 3 losing seasns, only one conference title---Inhis first NCAAT @ Auburn, he lost in the 2nd round(4 seed). He makes a great run to the FF a few years back-----has done good things, and suddenly, this conversation is taking place?

JFC....

WIll you quit guessing, and do some actual research?

Both have 5 SW 16's
BOth have 1 Elite 8
Pearl does have a Final Four; Painter was a miracle shot away from a FF.
Both have missed the NCAAT 4 times...

Yeah----Big diffeence, bro...

BTW, I love Pearl. Know the guy. Helped me get into officiating, but....He has missed the NCAAT 4 times, had 3 losing seasns, only one conference title---Inhis first NCAAT @ Auburn, he lost in the 2nd round(4 seed). He makes a great run to the FF a few years back-----has done good things, and suddenly, this conversation is taking place?

JFC....
Bruce Pearl has two elite 8’s. Nice job mr. research

pearl also has a sweet 16 at Milwaukee for gods sakes. Also has a national Championship

Bruce Pearl has two elite 8’s. Nice job mr. research

pearl also has a sweet 16 at Milwaukee for gods sakes. Also has a national Championship
My bad, forgot about his Elite 8 @ Tenn...SO he has one more Elite 8....And a FF. Yeah, he's light years ahead of Painter.

Both With 5 SW 16's
Pearl 2 Elite 8's---Painter 1
Pearl 1 FF---Painter 0

Yeah, he's clearly MUCH, MUCH better(tourney coach). Twice he has went further than Painter. HUGE gap...HUGE.

ANd I know about his SW 16 A Milwaukee. Not sure WTF your point is on that?

Are you seriously counting his National title at USI?

JFC...

My bad, forgot about his Elite 8 @ Tenn...SO he has one more Elite 8....And a FF. Yeah, he's light years ahead of Painter.

Both With 5 SW 16's
Pearl 1 FF---Painter 0

Yeah, he's clearly MUCH, MUCH better(tourney coach). Twice he has went further than Painter. HUGE gap...HUGE.

JFC...
You damn right I am. Matt

Both With 5 SW 16's
Pearl 1 FF---Painter 0

JFC...
You damn right I am counting USi’s natty: they haven’t won it again since pearl. What you aren’t getting is that pearl has been doing these things at programs that haven’t ever done these things. Pearl has now taken 4 different schools to postseason heights they had never been to before. While painter is just essentially status quo at Purdue. Doing the exact same that keady did.

You damn right I am. Matt

You damn right I am counting USi’s natty: they haven’t won it again since pearl. What you aren’t getting is that pearl has been doing these things at programs that haven’t ever done these things. Pearl has now taken 4 different schools to postseason heights they had never been to before. While painter is just essentially status quo at Purdue. Doing the exact same that keady did.
SO I reckon I can say Bo Ryan is a better coach/tourney coach than---Pearl? Or hell, even Calipari? Or Roy Williams, Bill Self, or even Bob Knight? I mean after all, Ryan won 4 National titles at Wisconsin-Plattesville....Went to 5 Final Fours and 6 ELite 8's....Then at Wisconsn, he went to two Final FOurs, 3 ELite 8's and had a runner-up.

No USI hasn't won it agan since Pearl, but they were RUnner-up in 2004.

Thing is---I know exactly what Pearl has done. I was at USI when he coached there. I took his class. I got to know him by officiating their practices...He intorduced me to a fellow named James Dunlap, who happened to be a local HS/College official. Which opened the door for me to get into officiating. I know Pearl 100x's better than you ,m or any AU fan does. One of my first college games was a game of his at Milwaukee......

He's won wherever he has went. Great coach....great motivator. And I get it----he's taking schools to heights they have never reached...BUt when you have never been past a SW16(Tenn), getting to the Elite 8 once is a big deal....Or at AU----Shit just getting you guys to the 2nd round took you to heights rarely seen...Or for that matter, the NCAAT. NO doubt dude's a winner. THing is, had Tenn not been so ignorant, he never leaves. I'd worry though when the jobs at Kansas, UNC or Kentucky become available----He's a dude that wants THAT type of job....Trust me, I know the guy.

Again---He has accomplished little more than what Painter has. To insinuate he's leaps and bounds a better tournament coach, simplply b/c he's been to one more E8 and a FF, is dumb. Painter TBH, was a freak play away from the FF, and a terrible injury from possibly another.

I will bet you the farm that if/when the Kentucky job opens, or UNC, or Kansas----and they come calling Bruce----He gone. Hell he was very interested in the IU job. But Indiana had other idea's.

When Pearl leaves---and he will. And save me how he loves the peolple, the town sermon---He loved the those same people at USI, and TN. Aubrun will go back to being , well, 10 NCAAT Auburn.

SO I reckon I can say Bo Ryan is a better coach/tourney coach than---Pearl? Or hell, even Calipari? Or Roy Williams, Bill Self, or even Bob Knight? I mean after all, Ryan won 4 National titles at Wisconsin-Plattesville....Went to 5 Final Fours and 6 ELite 8's....Then at Wisconsn, he went to two Final FOurs, 3 ELite 8's and had a runner-up.

No USI hasn't won it agan since Pearl, but they were RUnner-up in 2004.

Thing is---I know exactly what Pearl has done. I was at USI when he coached there. I took his class. I got to know him by officiating their practices...He intorduced me to a fellow named James Dunlap, who happened to be a local HS/College official. Which opened the door for me to get into officiating. I know Pearl 100x's better than you ,m or any AU fan does. One of my first college games was a game of his at Milwaukee......

He's won wherever he has went. Great coach....great motivator. And I get it----he's taking schools to heights they have never reached...BUt when you have never been past a SW16(Tenn), getting to the Elite 8 once is a big deal....Or at AU----Shit just getting you guys to the 2nd round took you to heights rarely seen...Or for that matter, the NCAAT. NO doubt dude's a winner. THing is, had Tenn not been so ignorant, he never leaves. I'd worry though when the jobs at Kansas, UNC or Kentucky become available----He's a dude that wants THAT type of job....Trust me, I know the guy.

Again---He has accomplished little more than what Painter has. To insinuate he's leaps and bounds a better tournament coach, simplply b/c he's been to one more E8 and a FF, is dumb. Painter TBH, was a freak play away from the FF, and a terrible injury from possibly another.

I will bet you the farm that if/when the Kentucky job opens, or UNC, or Kansas----and they come calling Bruce----He gone. Hell he was very interested in the IU job. But Indiana had other idea's.

When Pearl leaves---and he will. And save me how he loves the peolple, the town sermon---He loved the those same people at USI, and TN. Aubrun will go back to being , well, 10 NCAAT Auburn.
Pearl isn’t leaving Auburn. Auburn won’t lose a bidding war for him. sEC money is changing the game. Their ah a reason you are seeing sec basketball schools rise up. The money gap is only growing as well. Our arena will be named pearl arena and Steven pearl will be auburns next coach. You are clueless and I would put a grand down at minimum to say he retires at auburn. No school will outbid Auburn for him

@AuHoosier420 how do you scoff at Purdue's tournament history, make an argument against them due to lack of historical success, but then make a case that Auburn's history plays no part in their future success? If Auburn's history doesn't matter for this particular year, then why does Purdue's?
Because auburn has a game changing coach. Purdue has a status quo coach. As previously said Bruce elevates programs to new heights. Thus auburn before pearl is not relevant as we didn’t have a coach of that caliber. Matt painter is just a continuation of gene keady. Also as an IU alum I can rip on Purdue whenever I feel like it

The season is half over. If you don’t have good wins by now you should be ranked in the appropriate spot. Kentucky’s resume isn’t close to top 10.

The schedule is clearly backloaded. 11 of their 14 Quad 1 Games have yet to be played.

ADVERTISEMENT