ADVERTISEMENT

Raise your hand if you'd take Pitino right now.

Nope. I think Painter is just entering his prime. I'm not sure how much time Pitino has left and I'm not a fan of some of the baggage.

Huh?

He's in his 20th season......
You don’t have to agree with me. But Paint has had Purdue #1 in the nation each of the last 3 years after never doing that previously. He also just signed his best recruiting class ever.

Seems like pretty good evidence to me and since it my opinion, it doesn’t really matter to me what others think.

Reactions: englandnu
You don’t have to agree with me. But Paint has had Purdue #1 in the nation each of the last 3 years after never doing that previously. He also just signed his best recruiting class ever.

Seems like pretty good evidence to me and since it my opinion, it doesn’t really matter to me what others think.
Never said I disagreed...Just found it odd . A coach reaching his PRIME, in Year 20. Ok...

Never said I disagreed...Just found it odd . A coach reaching his PRIME, in Year 20. Ok...

I guess I don’t understand why you find it odd.

John Wooden didn’t win his first title until year 13.
Jay Wright didn’t win make his first Final Four until year 15 and didn’t win his first title until year 22.
Jim Boeheim didn’t reach his first Final Four until year 20.
Tony Bennett didn’t reach his first Final Four until his 20th year coaching (4 of those were in the NBA).

There is no guarantee Painter ever achieves what the above great coaches have done but it’s far from unheard of for a coach to continue getting better deep into their careers.

I guess I don’t understand why you find it odd.

John Wooden didn’t win his first title until year 13.
Jay Wright didn’t win make his first Final Four until year 15 and didn’t win his first title until year 22.
Jim Boeheim didn’t reach his first Final Four until year 20.
Tony Bennett didn’t reach his first Final Four until his 20th year coaching (4 of those were in the NBA).

There is no guarantee Painter ever achieves what the above great coaches have done but it’s far from unheard of for a coach to continue getting better deep into their careers.
iu

You mean like when he had the baby boilers or Carsen edwards teams and still hasn't had any post season success?

I'm just saying it's not like this is the first time he's had some really good teams.
I didn't say I think he's winning the tournament. I personally think he's a better coach than he used to be and thus coming into his prime.

A few of the ways I think he is better (just my opinion):

He has become better at mixing up his offensive philosophy to better suit his roster. He's become much better at press break and actually attacking after a press break rather than allow the defense to set up. I think he's learned a much better rhythm to substituting. I think his recruiting is better. He's never done a good job of stacking classes. There is more but that's just the most obvious ways IMO he has improved.

ADVERTISEMENT