ADVERTISEMENT

Question for UofL Fans - Kenny Payne

BasketBallJunkie-UK

Nov 18, 2011
Seems like there is a lot of momentum from Louisville to obtain the services of Kenny Payne as head coach. He's had endorsements from ex UofL players and Larry Brown. He's done a great job at UK, recruiting and creating relationships as well as coaching. He's one of the highest paid assistant coaches. And he appears to love what he's doing.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think there was a discussion about KP and U of L yesterday. Seems like most U of L fans think he is too inexperienced, which they very well could be right about.

good-buddy-9.jpg

UL fans would support him, and point out all his positves, if he were hired.

As a UK fan I'd hate to lose him. If not for his huge pay for an assistant, I feel UK would have already lost him. Curious to see where he ranks on highest paid assistant coaches. I'm guessing he makes more at UK than some HC as smaller teams to where he would get a job.

UL is not going to hire an assistant. They’ll let the lame duck sit until they can get something ironed out with a respectable and proven HC.

Most fans I’ve noticed have been on the Billy D pipe dream for years now. It could happen if the timing is perfect, but I can’t imagine it’s very likely.

UL fans would support him, and point out all his positves, if he were hired.

As a UK fan I'd hate to lose him. If not for his huge pay for an assistant, I feel UK would have already lost him. Curious to see where he ranks on highest paid assistant coaches. I'm guessing he makes more at UK than some HC as smaller teams to where he would get a job.

There's a lot of UofL fans that think the aftermath of what's happened to them, is a UK conspiracy. That would just add fuel to the fire for those fans. I think they have their hopes up to get a big name coach, but imho, that won't happen. With the restructuring of the athletics revenue, they may not pay as high as they did Pitino. Probably a 3-4 mil base with incentives. I think their hire will be a young but somewhat proven coach, like a White or Hurley. We hired Pitino when he was in his mid 30's.

I agree with you, I think Payne has a good thing going.

As mentioned here yesterday, This "push" is primarily a media driven story, primarily by one writer (Bozich) who wrote an article that includes some positive feedback from Payne's old teammates (in the 80s) and Larry Brown. The possibility has been widely voted down, with a Twitter poll asking if UofL fans would be in favor, resulting in a 80% NOT in favor last time I saw it. It's a non-story as far as the fan base goes. What the interim powers-that-be at UofL think is anybody's guess. I actually think there is a distinct possibility DP could be offered a 2nd 1 year contract. I have serious doubts UofL will have a permanent President or AD in place at the end of this basketball season, or the complete picture of the fallout of the NCAA investigations, to make these critical long term decisions

As mentioned here yesterday, This "push" is primarily a media driven story, primarily by one writer (Bozich) who wrote an article that includes some positive feedback from Payne's old teammates (in the 80s) and Larry Brown. The possibility has been widely voted down, with a Twitter poll asking if UofL fans would be in favor, resulting in a 80% NOT in favor last time I saw it. It's a non-story as far as the fan base goes. What the interim powers-that-be at UofL think is anybody's guess. I actually think there is a distinct possibility DP could be offered a 2nd 1 year contract. I have serious doubts UofL will have a permanent President or AD in place at the end of this basketball season, or the complete picture of the fallout of the NCAA investigations, to make these critical long term decisions
Let's all hope DP is the coach next year. Smart, well spoken guy.

I think DP is the logical choice. I actually think he will turn into a fine coach. Of all the people involved with the stuff, DP has had more thrust at him than anyone, and without the experience. He's handled it well. And I'm sure he's learning a lot about himself and what its taking to be successful. He's smart enough to the get the pieces he needs.

In the end, KP will never be in consideration for the job next year. Clickbait media strikes again. Of course his teammates are going to push for him. That’d be just like hiring Padgett after this season. Not going to happen.

if ul were to hire KP the tin foil hat group would explode

the bigger question is why would any top coach or assistant take the ul job right now
i think ul will hire a intern coach to replace their intern coach this spring

if ul were to hire KP the tin foil hat group would explode

the bigger question is why would any top coach or assistant take the ul job right now
i think ul will hire a intern coach to replace their intern coach this spring
Too much money on the table not to take it. I️ bet DP gets another year, once the dust settles it’ll be a similar situation to UK when Pitino came, however we might not luck out like you guys did with our hire.

Too much money on the table not to take it. I️ bet DP gets another year, once the dust settles it’ll be a similar situation to UK when Pitino came, however we might not luck out like you guys did with our hire.

depending on what the NCAA does about the pay-for-play it could be worse then the situation at UK
IMHO they would be better off keeping SP for at least one more year

Being UK's assistant > UL's head coach right now. I don't think he'd take it if offered.

Just today Calipari said; "“The greatest thing for Kenny is this university has made it so that he doesn’t have to leave unless it’s a really good job."

Last edited:
Being UK's assistant > UL's head coach right now. I don't think he'd take it if offered.

Just today Calipari said; "“The greatest thing for Kenny is this university has made it so that he doesn’t have to leave unless it’s a really good job."
He would once everything’s over. The pay will be much better. Plus a chance to build a program up again and start an era if successful.

Louisville is holding out for Calipari, they like UK's sloppy seconds. And I do mean SLOPPY. :D
Remember when they said Calipari would bolt as soon as he put UK on probation. I think they're still holding out hope that will happen.

Leave UK in shambles and come to the dark side. They don't want OAD's though. KP and JC would bring them.

I'd go back to bashing JC if he became UL's coach. :) Seriously though, that would never happen. JC said it took decades to get a job like UK"s, because UL moved to the ACC it's slightly better than Memphis.

Speaking of #kentuckyeffect. Tubby at UM and Pitino at UL. They both peaked at UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Remember when they said Calipari would bolt as soon as he put UK on probation. I think they're still holding out hope that will happen.

Leave UK in shambles and come to the dark side. They don't want OAD's though. KP and JC would bring them.

I'd go back to bashing JC if he became UL's coach. :) Seriously though, that would never happen. JC said it took decades to get a job like UK"s, because UL moved to the ACC it's slightly better than Memphis.

Speaking of #kentuckyeffect. Tubby at UM and Pitino at UL. They both peaked at UK.
Yeah, Tubby is getting murdered at Memphis. He might as well retire. It's tough to watch and we all know he puts zero effort into recruiting. Penny will be there next season.

Yeah, Tubby is getting murdered at Memphis. He might as well retire. It's tough to watch and we all know he puts zero effort into recruiting. Penny will be there next season.
Memphis would worship Payne, even with his ties to Calipari. Much more than Pastner.

Remember when people bashed UK fans for "firing" Tubby.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I can tell that 10000% Kenny Payne will not be the HC next year, move on.

I can tell that 10000% Kenny Payne will not be the HC next year, move on.
Clealy. UK assistant > UL head coach. No way he'd leave one of the great assistant jobs for the shit show that is UL right now. There's a reason you have one of the youngest coaches in the business.

If I were a UL fan, I'd be bored right now and complain about it on homeboards.

Last edited:
Clealy. UK assistant > UL head coach. No way he'd leave one of the great assistant jobs for the shit show that is UL right now. There's a reason you have one of the youngest coaches in the business.

Yeah. It happened 3 weeks before practice. That's the reason. If this all happened in March-April. Mack would be our coach right now. Just like he will be in 4 months. Book it.

Yeah. It happened 3 weeks before practice. That's the reason. If this all happened in March-April. Mack would be our coach right now. Just like he will be in 4 months. Book it.
No chance you get Mack. He'd rather stay down the river at his alma mater.

Who's next on your list? Donovan? Stevens? haha, who seriously?

After the next few years of suck it's back to mediocrity for you guys. You know it's true. You don't have Jurich to pull in someone.

Who ever you hire has to be ok with tying their names to whores and fbi.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldsports_

After the next few years of suck it's back to mediocrity for you guys. You know it's true. You don't have Jurich to pull in someone.

Laugh all you fellas want. I'll be back to this thread when we hire Chris Mack.

Laugh all you fellas want. I'll be back to this thread when we hire Chris Mack.
We'll see you never.

What does UL offer to Mack over his alma mater?

If UL hires Mack, please don't corrupt him like you did Pitino. Pitino was decent when he coached other teams. UL corrupted him.

Last edited:

Tyra will get us a big name.

We'll see you never.

What does UL offer to Mack over his alma mater?

If UL hires Mack, please don't corrupt him like you did Pitino. Pitino was decent when he coached other teams. UL corrupted him.

Uhhh, money, facilities, resources, etc. His wife is from Louisville. His wife's parents live in Louisville. Big time UofL supporters. Do I need to say more?

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
Uhhh, money, facilities, resources, etc. His wife is from Louisville. His wife's parents live in Louisville. Big time UofL supporters. Do I need to say more?
Has Chris Mack been hired? You'd said you be back when Chris Mack was hired.

Quote 32.

did Kirby Smart have any coaching experience?
KP would be worlds better then DP just on the recruiting end

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT