ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Changing tires

Do you change your own tires?

• Total voters
How many of you sit in your car waiting for AAA or someone else to change a flat tire for you?

*for those who vote no. Explain yourself.
Just had a tire blow on Interstate 81 this weekend. I called roadside assistance to change the tire. They arrived within 30 minutes and changed the tire and I was on my way. That is why I pay for roadside assistance. Otherwise why pay for it.

Just had a tire blow on Interstate 81 this weekend. I called roadside assistance to change the tire. They arrived within 30 minutes and changed the tire and I was on my way. That is why I pay for roadside assistance. Otherwise why pay for it.
This is a dumb argument. I don't pay for roadside assistance. It's part of my insurance policy, but I don't use it. The flip side would be, why pay for something that you could do yourself? Grown ass men bragging about having other men change there tires for them. Bunch of soft batch cookies.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
This is a dumb argument. I don't pay for roadside assistance. It's part of my insurance policy, but I don't use it. The flip side would be, why pay for something that you could do yourself? Grown ass men bragging about having other men change there tires for them. Bunch of soft batch cookies.
Nice. If it is part of your insurance policy then you are paying for it. How stupid can you be?

Keep an eye on your tire pressures and you likely won't have this problem. With newer vehicles theres no excuse. If something were to happen i call one of the shop guys to bring a floor jack and an impact out to me.

You don’t pay for anything you can do yourself?

Reactions: UL_1986
I'm going to try and change a wheel bearing myself. I do my own breaks and have changed the rotors. From youtube videos it looks like it's just 4 more bolts. I do need to buy a torque wrench, but it's something I've been wanting and it will be cheaper than the labor cost.

5 lugnuts, 2 bolts on the brake caliper, a couple of pins on the rotor, 3 bolts for the wheel bearing and the center main bolt with the torque wrench. Then do the same backwards.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
I bet there’s a lot of stuff you let others do that you can do yourself.
A lot, if we're being technical about it. But there are also a lot of things I do that I could let others do for me. Like, mow the yard. Power wash the sidewalks and driveway. Change ceiling fans. Paint the shutters. Change tires.

A lot, if we're being technical about it. But there are also a lot of things I do that I could let others do for me. Like, mow the yard. Power wash the sidewalks and driveway. Change ceiling fans. Paint the shutters. Change tires.

Why do you let anyone do things for you that you can do yourself?

Why do you let anyone do things for you that you can do yourself?
Hard work in life affords you SOME luxuries. Letting other people do certain things is a way of avoiding hard work. Which changing a tire isn't hard work for most. There are things as a grown man, you should know how to do. Those are the things you should do yourself. Nobody is expected to know how to do everything, for those things, there are people out there that provide necessary services.

I'm going to try and change a wheel bearing myself. I do my own breaks and have changed the rotors. From youtube videos it looks like it's just 4 more bolts. I do need to buy a torque wrench, but it's something I've been wanting and it will be cheaper than the labor cost.

5 lugnuts, 2 bolts on the brake caliper, a couple of pins on the rotor, 3 bolts for the wheel bearing and the center main bolt with the torque wrench. Then do the same backwards.

It will be easy.... or you will have hours of regret. Either way you should be able to do it.

Hard work in life affords you SOME luxuries. Letting other people do certain things is a way of avoiding hard work. Which changing a tire isn't hard work for most. There are things as a grown man, you should know how to do. Those are the things you should do yourself. Nobody is expected to know how to do everything, for those things, there are people out there that provide necessary services.

You admit to letting people do things for you that you know how to do and then chastise people for letting someone do something you think people should do themselves.

Grilling a steak isn’t hard. Stop going to steakhouses.

Reactions: kl40504
You admit to letting people do things for you that you know how to do and then chastise people for letting someone do something you think people should do themselves.

Grilling a steak isn’t hard. Stop going to steakhouses.
I take it you don't know how to change a tire and you're feeling a little self conscious about it. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

I have no interest in changing tires.

You’re being a bit of a hypocrite.
Not sure what your issue is today. You didn't have to partake in the thread. Everyone is free to do what they want, not do what they don't want. It is only harmless banter. I apologize, it clearly struck a nerve with you.

Not sure what your issue is today. You didn't have to partake in the thread. Everyone is free to do what they want, not do what they don't want. It is only harmless banter. I apologize, it clearly struck a nerve with you.

A nerve? Not sure you’ve read my posts if you really think that.

I’m as relaxed as I am while letting someone else change my tires.

Reactions: kl40504
fwiw, I love yard work or just work. Anything to be outside and become better at different crafts. I couldn't imagine going through life only mastering one.

*to each their own.

Last edited:
Speaking of crafts. Anyone here do woodworking? I know, I know, why build it if you can buy it. I've been interested for a while and been doing a bit of reading.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan

boom done. Total cost was ~200, I bought the best torque wrench they had. I wanted to do it before it got hot.

Speaking of crafts. Anyone here do woodworking? I know, I know, why build it if you can buy it. I've been interested for a while and been doing a bit of reading.

Have started to dabble in it a bit but nothing huge. After doing a lot of our baseboards and quarter round i'm begining to build a fireplace surround for our living room side of a see through gas fireplace. Going off the below picture. Just have a miter saw, table saw, brad nailer for now. Its nothing too difficult hardest part is getting the angles right for the crown molding with the equipment i have. Have several uncles that do it as my grandfather did it and compared to what they do mine is childs play.

white-marble-fireplace-the-makeover-details-satori-marble-tile-fireplace-l-3a8bf33a6b63514c.jpg

Have started to dabble in it a bit but nothing huge. After doing a lot of our baseboards and quarter round i'm begining to build a fireplace surround for our living room side of a see through gas fireplace. Going off the below picture. Just have a miter saw, table saw, brad nailer for now. Its nothing too difficult hardest part is getting the angles right for the crown molding with the equipment i have. Have several uncles that do it as my grandfather did it and compared to what they do mine is childs play.

white-marble-fireplace-the-makeover-details-satori-marble-tile-fireplace-l-3a8bf33a6b63514c.jpg
Gorgeous.

Nah, it isn't about masculinity. It is about being self reliant and being able to change a damn tire. Anyone under 40, (want to say 50, but we'll go with 40) and does not have any physical disabilities should be able to change a tire. Shouldn't even have AAA really.
AAA is more than just changing tires, as they are useful in getting a tow truck to either tow you in or deliver a can of gas, even replacing a belt that snaps or even radiator fluid in the winter if your car overhears or in the summer,

I can no longer change tires or work on the car nor is my wife who is in her 60's,

with todays car that are so computerized, you need need help. its not like the cars in the 60's, 70's and 80's. even the tires are getting bigger where most are 16" Tires vs the 13's, 14's that were standard now its 16's or bigger,

you almost have to be a computer geek to figure these new engine set ups.

when i was around 13 i used to do some yard work and other little odd jobs for a widow women
her husband built every piece of furniture in their house
most of it from Mahogany, Rose wood and Cherry

How many of you sit in your car waiting for AAA or someone else to change a flat tire for you?

*for those who vote no. Explain yourself.

preview-american-automobile-association-aaa-logo-MjczNQ==.jpg

I got this

61VO+SW13LL.jpg

Don't need that.

My father made me change a tire that didn't need to be changed (so I would know how)

Btw, tires are heavy...

Reactions: ExitFlagger

Almost finished with this and happy with how it turned out. Just need to fill a few little holes, finish sanding and a final top coat of Benjamin Moore Advanced paint.

csTZriO.jpg

WxpwUI5.jpg

qGlVAJH.jpg

Fairly close to my inspiration.

@LetsGoDuke301 my wife got a flat on her way to work tomorrow. Guess what I did? Had her call our roadside assistance and went to work myself. Worked out well.

I’ve got 4 Michelin’s pulled off the rack and Costco and I’ll let them put those on, too. SmokinSmile

I’d advise against using the torque wrench to loosen the spindle nut (main bolt). You run the chance of breaking the torque wrench. If you don’t have an impact wrench, I’d recommend a breaker bar and a long-ish piece of metal pipe. From experience, they do not loosen easily.

edit: nvm, I see that you got the job done. Nice! I assume the torque wrench held up? I’m used to everything being seized due to rust here in upstate NY. Rust might not be as big a deal where you are.

Last edited:
Yes sir there’s a 65” above it, outlets in the wall behind it and Directv mini, Blu-ray player, and all cords Velcroed to the back of the TV.

Did you just use double-sided tape / Velcro and hang them directly on the back of the TV?

I recently hung our new TV on the wall and have been using the built-in OS (our "live TV" is through YouTube TV) - but its a bit slower than when we used to have an Nvidia Shield as the "box". Kind of want to just tape the Nvidia behind it as it had a more powerful processor / guts to handle everything.

Did you just use double-sided tape / Velcro and hang them directly on the back of the TV?

I recently hung our new TV on the wall and have been using the built-in OS (our "live TV" is through YouTube TV) - but its a bit slower than when we used to have an Nvidia Shield as the "box". Kind of want to just tape the Nvidia behind it as it had a more powerful processor / guts to handle everything.

yeah just used Velcro with sticky backing and zip ties for the cords. Has held great so far.

I’d advise against using the torque wrench to loosen the spindle nut (main bolt). You run the chance of breaking the torque wrench. If you don’t have an impact wrench, I’d recommend a breaker bar and a long-ish piece of metal pipe. From experience, they do not loosen easily.

edit: nvm, I see that you got the job done. Nice! I assume the torque wrench held up? I’m used to everything being seized due to rust here in upstate NY. Rust might not be as big a deal where you are.
I actually used a breaker bar on it to loosen it. I used the torque wrench to put it back on obviously.

and yeah, I've never seen a salt truck down here. I don't think they even own any due to an ice storm a few years back. It took a few days for the ice to melt.

Reactions: brooky03
I actually used a breaker bar on it to loosen it. I used the torque wrench to put it back on obviously.

and yeah, I've never seen a salt truck down here. I don't think they even own any due to an ice storm a few years back. It took a few days for the ice to melt.
This post reminded me of an ice storm in DFW back in 2015. There were a few salt trucks out but they only stuck to overpasses and main roads in the busiest areas of town. Basically 95% of the city was left on their own. Check out this accident map.

6670_1.jpg

This post reminded me of an ice storm in DFW back in 2015. There were a few salt trucks out but they only stuck to overpasses and main roads in the busiest areas of town. Basically 95% of the city was left on their own. Check out this accident map.

6670_1.jpg
My wife was driving home one night and got stuck, on the flat road, the tires would not get any traction at all. We keep litter in our trunk, but when she got past the litter, it was back to spinning. I called every tow truck company I could find and either they were stuck or out doing other jobs. I finally found one and it cost 200 for a 15 mile tow (our roadside assistance told us there was nothing they could do). It had to be done or she would have had to leave and walk home or stay the night on the side of I40. My BIL and I couldn't get out of our own driveway.

We rarely get snow other than a dusting now and again,but we get ice a couple times a year.

My wife was driving home one night and got stuck, on the flat road, the tires would not get any traction at all. We keep litter in our trunk, but when she got past the litter, it was back to spinning. I called every tow truck company I could find and either they were stuck or out doing other jobs. I finally found one and it cost 200 for a 15 mile tow (our roadside assistance told us there was nothing they could do). It had to be done or she would have had to leave and walk home or stay the night on the side of I40. My BIL and I couldn't get out of our own driveway.

We rarely get snow other than a dusting now and again,but we get ice a couple times a year.
During the storm in that image I sent I had a friend tell me it took them 3 hours to go from south Arlington to south Fort Worth on I-20. That’s basically just the bottom left part of that map. 3 hours. Ice storms are the worst. We don’t really get them out here in West Texas. When we do get them they only last 15-30 minutes, not 4-6 hours like they happen in parts of east TX/SE US.

ADVERTISEMENT