ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Changing tires

Do you change your own tires?

• Total voters
Not trying to sound like an expert, or telling anyone what to do here, but a portable jump box should be in the trunk of everyone’s car.

A good one may cost a couple hundred bucks, but it pays for itself if used once, and you don’t need anyone’s assistance.

You never drive out to the country around the Bay Area? I feel like I’d leave town almost every other weekend if I had access to what’s around Northern California.
Mostly between SF to San Jose for work, other than that no reason to go out into the country unless I’m going to the beach for a weekend in Santa Cruz.

Mostly between SF to San Jose for work, other than that no reason to go out into the country unless I’m going to the beach for a weekend in Santa Cruz.
No camping? Hunting? Fishing? Mountain climbing? Hiking? No cabin in the woods time with friends? No sight seeing?

Man you really don’t know how to change a tire, do you?

Winking

No camping? Hunting? Fishing? Mountain climbing? Hiking? No cabin in the woods time with friends? No sight seeing?

Man you really don’t know how to change a tire, do you?

Winking
You sound like you wear quite a bit of Patagonia. SmokinSmile

Yes I enjoy camping near Fort Bragg, Mendo, etc. not a big fisher though. The beach is more my steez. Why hike when I can lay on the beach with a joint in hand?

Reactions: schoonerwest
I grew up skateboarding, so now if I travel anywhere to do some sort of activity it’s snowboarding near Tahoe.

Also, why wouldn’t you need AAA? If your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, are you just gonna pray someone stops to help you? I’m speaking on behalf of things that are out of your control or fixing. I.e. transmission failure, blown head gasket, things you don’t have readily available to fix it.

let's say one of those things happen
why not just call the tow truck yourself
i mean you have to call AAA
take the middle man out

Shit I voted no, but I actually would change my own tire if / when the need comes. The last time I did was when my wife ran her tire dead flat and folded on a day where it was like 8 degrees outside. So that sucked, putting on a donut in the snow.

I do my own oil changes, which are easy because I don't even have to lift it up and the oil filter is a drop-in style on top of the engine compartment. Doesn't really save me any money as compared to getting it done, but at least I know that I did it right and torqued it correctly. I don't do her oil changes in her car though, as it is too low to the ground and engine bay too crammed.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I change my own tire. Have road side assistance for the wife, but I consider my time spent waiting for them to arrive to be more valuable than the effort it takes to change the tire myself.
Just what I was about to say reading this thread. I can have the tire off and the spare (I splurged and have a full size spare in the trunk of all the cars) on before they'd even show up.

jack
lug nuts
tire off/on
lug nuts
jack.it takes all of 5 minutes.

Just what I was about to say reading this thread. I can have the tire off and the spare (I splurged and have a full size spare in the trunk of all the cars) on before they'd even show up.

jack
lug nuts
tire off/on
lug nuts
jack.it takes all of 5 minutes.
If you can change your tire in 5 minutes, you should apply for a job with NASCAR..:eek::)

Reactions: jace4655555
I change my own tire. Have road side assistance for the wife, but I consider my time spent waiting for them to arrive to be more valuable than the effort it takes to change the tire myself.
Depends on where I'm at. On the highway or expressway?? Nope. I'm waiting . In the city, or a country road? Yeah. I'll do it myself. No way am I doing so on a highway or such .

I have never had a flat I have had to change but have changed other people's tires for them. So if I had one I would change it and then go somewhere and get a new one. I don't know how to plug one though.

I have never had a flat I have had to change but have changed other people's tires for them. So if I had one I would change it and then go somewhere and get a new one. I don't know how to plug one though.
Find the hole, and stick a rubbery thingy in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jace4655555
The older lady I plugged tire for, she didn't ask. I just noticed she had one of those cigarette lighter pumps and I watched her day after day bring it out and pump up her tire each morning. Day after day. Finally I approached her and asked if I could fix her tire for her so she wouldn't have to do that anymore. She looked at me strange (I get that a lot) and I assured her I wasn't looking for money. If I am guessing, she's in her 70's. Sure enough, she had a screw in here tire. Took me about a half an hour to do it properly, will save her many minutes of not having to deal with it anymore. A couple of days ago, she approached my wife and told her what I've done and passed along one of the best cakes I've ever ate. I still have her plate and can't wait to give it back when wiped clean.

Also one more story, I once had a flat on in the passing lane of the outerbelt of Memphis (240). I couldn't get the way over to other side of the road and had to change the tire right there. The flat tire was on the front pulling wheel and it just spun inside the tire when trying to accelerate. Absolutely one of the scariest moments of my life. I quickly set up those little triangle caution things I keep in the trunks and hazard lights on, but the traffic was absolutely barrelling past me. I only put on a couple of lugnuts and pulled over afterwards to finish.

Waiting on roadside there would have been a deathtrap. The whole time, I couldn't help but think of the Netflix show "shot in the dark"

Last edited:
Reactions: MileHighSpartan
I got a flat in morning rush hour in a torrential rainstorm in the middle of the George Washington Bridge. I got out to change it. After a minute or two police came up and made me move off the span and then they changed it. I may have been dumb, going to change it myself in the midst of that bridge in my tie in rush hour:)

The last flat tire I had was in 1991. I called for help.
I had 3 (and a bent rim)December before last. Driving down 75 to Lexington from Cincy at 1am in semi-heavy traffic, hit a giant piece of metal going across the left 2 lanes right before the top of a hill. Get to the top of the hill, car starts shaking like crazy and I see about 20+ other cars lining the shoulder with blown out tires.

Unfortunately, I don't carry 3 spare tires. That was a long night.

Not that I feel I've got anything to explain, but.... my father owns a couple of shops, I know "a few" guys who'd be willing to help with any quick-service either of my vehicles might need.

However, I can change tires, change my oil, check fluids and/or change out the headlights on my Mustang.

But.... why?

How many of you sit in your car waiting for AAA or someone else to change a flat tire for you?

*for those who vote no. Explain yourself.
Actually, I lied when I said yes.....I used to do all of the mechanical work on my cars (which sometimes ended up costing me way more then if I had paid to do it because I didn't know what the hell I was doing). But, ever since my accident, I can't change a tire anymore because I don't have enough strength on my right side. Don't get me wrong, if I was stranded with no cell service...I'd get it done. But it would hurt like hell while I did it.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
ADVERTISEMENT