ADVERTISEMENT

Place to put my Nonsense Thread.

86903159.jpg

My dog doesn't have a price. I don't mean this in any disrespectful manner, but anyone who could sell their dogs to a stranger shouldn't have one. Your dog wouldn't sell you for any amount of toys or treats, so why would you do that to him?

Because they're easily replaceable. I get dogs are crazy loyal and that's awesome. But, you can replace them with another loyal dog and have resources on top of that.

Of course it's not going to happen because nobody in their right mind would offer that amount. So, if someone offered you $100 million, you'd still turn it down?

I had a dog and some cats growing up. Never really got attached to any of them that much.

Because they're easily replaceable. I get dogs are crazy loyal and that's awesome. But, you can replace them with another loyal dog and have resources on top of that.

Of course it's not going to happen because nobody in their right mind would offer that amount. So, if someone offered you $100 million, you'd still turn it down?
They aren't replaceable. Dogs are not all the same, they are individual personalities that each offer a unique love. I would not sell my dog for a billion dollars. The fact that someone could sell their dogs to a stranger is honestly scary.

They aren't replaceable. Dogs are not all the same, they are individual personalities that each offer a unique love. I would not sell my dog for a billion dollars. The fact that someone could sell their dogs to a stranger is honestly scary.

There are some 700k shelter dogs euthanized each year in the United States because they don't have the capacity to take on any more animals. Saying I shouldn't own dogs because there's a price at which I would exchange them is not a sound argument. If we actually enforced your standard (i.e. if your dog isn't priceless, you can't own one), that would cause a lot more problems. You'd have a lot more houses with 10+ dogs, more strays, shelters being bombarded with rescues... which would result in more dogs being put down.

I love spending time with my dogs. I'm just saying they're not the same as my own children.

There are some 700k shelter dogs euthanized each year in the United States because they don't have the capacity to take on any more animals. Saying I shouldn't own dogs because there's a price at which I would exchange them is not a sound argument. If we actually enforced your standard (i.e. if your dog isn't priceless, you can't own one), that would cause a lot more problems. You'd have a lot more houses with 10+ dogs, more strays, shelters being bombarded with rescues... which would result in more dogs being put down.

I love spending time with my dogs. I'm just saying they're not the same as my own children.
Well yea, obviously quality of life at a normal home is better than the shelter. Wasn't really my point, though. By your logic, you can sell your kids because you can adopt more kids. They are "replaceable" I just can't get behind that. If you do own a dog, you should be giving him/her your all. You SHOULD treat them as priceless.

Well yea, obviously quality of life at a normal home is better than the shelter. Wasn't really my point, though. By your logic, you can sell your kids because you can adopt more kids. They are "replaceable" I just can't get behind that. If you do own a dog, you should be giving him/her your all. You SHOULD treat them as priceless.

You did say that anybody who could sell their dog to a stranger shouldn't have one. I was responding to why I believe that sentiment wouldn't actually be beneficial for the dog community.

And my point is, dogs and children aren't the same. Kids don't have a selling price. Dogs do. Human life is more valuable than the life of an animal. Point being, if you were to accidentally hit and kill a person and a dog while driving, would you feel equal remorse for the premature deaths? Boeheim was lamenting that his accident was something that he has to live with for the rest of his life. If you ran over and killed a dog, I'm sure most people would feel bad for a certain period of time. But, it's probably not going to haunt most people for the rest of their lives.

Reactions: brooky03
I can't stand people that have dogs and they keep them outdoors in cages all the time. Don't have a dog if you only pay attention to them hours a month. I do believe they should be treated as part of the family. Can't imagine living in a kennel 99% of your life.

You did say that anybody who could sell their dog to a stranger shouldn't have one. I was responding to why I believe that sentiment wouldn't actually be beneficial for the dog community.

And my point is, dogs and children aren't the same. Kids don't have a selling price. Dogs do. Human life is more valuable than the life of an animal. Point being, if you were to accidentally hit and kill a person and a dog while driving, would you feel equal remorse for the premature deaths? Boeheim was lamenting that his accident was something that he has to live with for the rest of his life. If you ran over and killed a dog, I'm sure most people would feel bad for a certain period of time. But, it's probably not going to haunt most people for the rest of their lives.
I think this is extremely subjective in the eyes of a lot of people. Do you ever watch a movie, and think to yourself, I don't care if the people die as long as the dog lives? I have more people like that around me than not. Fact is, humans are a lot less shitty to other humans and living things than dogs are. Humans do a lot worse things than dogs do. So while I wouldn't even choose my dog to live over my actual kids, would I choose my dog to live over someone that's been in jail for years and has nothing to contribute to society? I would 1000 times out of 1000.

I can't stand people that have dogs and they keep them outdoors in cages all the time. Don't have a dog if you only pay attention to them hours a month. I do believe they should be treated as part of the family. Can't imagine living in a kennel 99% of your life.
Yup, people can be evil, man. I would pick any dog to live over someone like that. How would you like to spend your entire life, which is only 10 to 14 years, trapped in a small cage? That's absolutely not okay, and why I am for much harsher laws being put in place for animal cruelty.

I think this is extremely subjective in the eyes of a lot of people. Do you ever watch a movie, and think to yourself, I don't care if the people die as long as the dog lives? I have more people like that around me than not. Fact is, humans are a lot less shitty to other humans and living things than dogs are. Humans do a lot worse things than dogs do. So while I wouldn't even choose my dog to live over my actual kids, would I choose my dog to live over someone that's been in jail for years and has nothing to contribute to society? I would 1000 times out of 1000.

Dogs are amazing creatures, really. They're much more loving than humans, certainly. I like to think part of their purpose is to help make people happy, especially those who suffer from loneliness.

I like to see videos of dogs being rescued from the streets and taken into homes - or videos where multiple people unite in their efforts to save a dog from being trapped in a precarious situation. It warms my heart a bit. I love dogs. I don't have any objections with saying you'd take your dog over a life-long criminal. I think most people would do that. I would side with on that, as well. But, most people aren't criminals. The incarceration rate is less than 1%.

At the end of the day, I fundamentally believe human life is more valuable than animal life. Though, if you were to break down the value of the different types of animals, I would put dogs at the very top of the list. They bring a lot of happiness to humans, thus they bring more collective value than birds, rodents, amphibians, and probably all the rest.

Dog enthusiasts may not appreciate my prior comments, but I know I'll never be at that level. My dogs enjoy 3/4 of an acre in the backyard to freely run and play. Actually, we got a second dog recently because I was worried that our lone dog didn't get enough attention. 6-12 hours a week may seem like a lot for us, but I'm sure dogs that are by themselves are usually bored out of their minds. Was excited to introduce our dog to a new permanent friend.

Reactions: toonces11
Dogs are amazing creatures, really. They're much more loving than humans, certainly. I like to think part of their purpose is to help make people happy, especially those who suffer from loneliness.

I like to see videos of dogs being rescued from the streets and taken into homes - or videos where multiple people unite in their efforts to save a dog from being trapped in a precarious situation. It warms my heart a bit. I love dogs. I don't have any objections with saying you'd take your dog over a life-long criminal. I think most people would do that. I would side with on that, as well. But, most people aren't criminals. The incarceration rate is less than 1%.

At the end of the day, I fundamentally believe human life is more valuable than animal life. Though, if you were to break down the value of the different types of animals, I would put dogs at the very top of the list. They bring a lot of happiness to humans, thus they bring more collective value than birds, rodents, amphibians, and probably all the rest.
That is a fair post. Where I think you and I tend to differ in thought, it that I really don't think human life, in a vacuum, is more valuable than that of a dogs. I know you are a religious person, at least from what I can remember. I think that has something to do with your line of thinking compared to mine. I am not religious at all. To me, its all individual cases when determining what life is more valuable. There is nothing that tells me what you are worth other than what impact you have on others. Some dogs have a much more positive impact on the world/life around them than a lot of people. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: dukedevilz

I was reading an article the other day about why there is such a problem with dog overpopulation in the south. We get thousands of dogs transported up here from kill shelters in the south that get adopted out around here.

The article explained that in the south dogs are thought about as more of property than part of the family so they aren't responsible about their care (neutering, spaying, etc.) and breeding ---> disowning.

So there's two sides to every coin. If everyone in the country felt the way about dogs that Jimbo and I do, there wouldn't be an overpopulation problem in shelters to begin with.

Love my dogs, but I would absolutely sell my dogs for $100,000, if offered. So, I guess in that sense they're not quite like the rest of the family, as I would never sell my kids. What do other thinks? Would it be shameful to sell your dog for a certain amount?

I wouldn't, but I'm not poor. My dog doesn't have a price tag.

I mean obviously the dog isn't your biological kid, but you feed it. Take care of it. Take him to the doctor when he's sick. Buy him things to make him happy, or to try and cheer him up. Hail and I aren't the only ones who would consider their dog like their kid. I would say a huge portion of pet owners do. I wouldn't trade my relationship with my dog for anything. Your dog deserves to have you go all out for him or her, just like they would for you.

Exactly. No shit the dog isn't a human child. But our dog is uniquely special to us.

Reactions: JimboBBN

Nah, my dog is uniquely special to yes. Yes, I'd turn down 100 million dollars for her.

Dog enthusiasts may not appreciate my prior comments, but I know I'll never be at that level. My dogs enjoy 3/4 of an acre in the backyard to freely run and play. Actually, we got a second dog recently because I was worried that our lone dog didn't get enough attention. 6-12 hours a week may seem like a lot for us, but I'm sure dogs that are by themselves are usually bored out of their minds. Was excited to introduce our dog to a new permanent friend.

We spoil the ever-loving-shit out of our dog. Doggy day care once a week for socialization. 2-3 walks a day. Take her to dog parks, on trips, organize puppy play dates, etc.

We spoil the ever-loving-shit out of our dog. Doggy day care once a week for socialization. 2-3 walks a day. Take her to dog parks, on trips, organize puppy play dates, etc.
I do the same with my guy. Walk him 3 miles every day. He goes to Petsuites for doggy day care once a week to play with his friends. And I also take him to any friends house I go to, so he can get more attention or play with their dogs.

They only get so long. I try my best to make every day special for him.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I was reading an article the other day about why there is such a problem with dog overpopulation in the south. We get thousands of dogs transported up here from kill shelters in the south that get adopted out around here.

The article explained that in the south dogs are thought about as more of property than part of the family so they aren't responsible about their care (neutering, spaying, etc.) and breeding ---> disowning.

So there's two sides to every coin. If everyone in the country felt the way about dogs that Jimbo and I do, there wouldn't be an overpopulation problem in shelters to begin with.

Very few dogs are spayed/neutered in rural areas. Our one dog is spayed, and the pup will be in the next month or so. There's someone that lives a few houses down the road from me that must have at least 10 dogs. Doubtful they get all the necessary shots.

You seriously don't need to pay for a dog here. Neighbors/friends are always having puppies - and they are always looking to give some of them away. And nobody here in our subdivision cares about keeping their dog on their property. Dogs are roaming everywhere, frequently getting hit by cars. We have an in-ground electric fence. Because that's what I thought everyone did, at least that's the way it was in suburbia growing up.

Nah, my dog is uniquely special to yes. Yes, I'd turn down 100 million dollars for her.

The commitment and loyalty is impressive and admirable. I just don't value a dog as much as I do human life.

That's a big commitment. So yes, you essentially treat your dog like a child. But when/if you have three kids, I'd be skeptical if you invest equal time among the kids and the dogs.

Very few dogs are spayed/neutered in rural areas. Our one dog is spayed, and the pup will be in the next month or so. There's someone that lives a few houses down the road from me that must have at least 10 dogs. Doubtful they get all the necessary shots.

You seriously don't need to pay for a dog here. Neighbors/friends are always having puppies - and they are always looking to give some of them away. And nobody here in our subdivision cares about keeping their dog on their property. Dogs are roaming everywhere, frequently getting hit by cars. We have an in-ground electric fence. Because that's what I thought everyone did, at least that's the way it was in suburbia growing up.

The commitment and loyalty is impressive and admirable. I just don't value a dog as much as I do human life.

Now if only they valued dogs the way me and Jimbo did this problem wouldn't exist. F***ing losers.

I do the same with my guy. Walk him 3 miles every day. He goes to Petsuites for doggy day care once a week to play with his friends. And I also take him to any friends house I go to, so he can get more attention or play with their dogs.

They only get so long. I try my best to make every day special for him.

Love to hear it. I can't believe anyone would get annoyed or upset by this.

Brooky watching the pubs go back and forth about dogs instead of piling on him about limp wristed libs
tenor.gif

It’s his actually hilarious you picked a Kermit gif because I’m in a dynasty fantasy football league with former co-workers/friends and when they roast me, they use all Kermit gifs. No rhyme or reason to it (I don’t sound like him or anything like that), just what stuck.

And I have enjoyed being a spectator for this one haha. Although I sorta started it?

It’s his actually hilarious you picked a Kermit gif because I’m in a dynasty fantasy football league with former co-workers/friends and when they roast me, they use all Kermit gifs. No rhyme or reason to it (I don’t sound like him or anything like that), just what stuck.

And I have enjoyed being a spectator for this one haha. Although I sorta started it?
Such a species baiter

Reactions: brooky03
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT