ADVERTISEMENT

People are getting dumber...

Well then, you are a distinct distinct minority… I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to a parent who does not love meant what social media is doing to children. The best they can usually say is that they are glad their kid does not get caught up in it.
None Of friends or family, across 4 states, has problems. Again,a great support system does wonders.

Yea, social media is awful. I have a few different profiles out there, but I hardly ever post anything. I’m usually just scrolling and judging. People post some dramatic things, and it’s awsome for my entertainment.

Reactions: SNU0821
I just saw your edit… Yes, a good support system is essential, as it is with anything obviously :) sometimes social influences and pressures can be a lot, and the adults don’t always know what’s going on unfortunately, even if they tried to stay abreast of things.

When I was young, Dennis G and I would throw fists at recess. Then we would brush ourselves off and that would be the end of it. It’s just different today, and while in some ways it is better, in some ways it is far more insidious and constant.

Yea, social media is awful. I have a few different profiles out there, but I hardly ever post anything. I’m usually just scrolling and judging. People post some dramatic things, and it’s awsome for my entertainment.

Much Better than the 80's/90's tabloids :D

I just saw your edit… Yes, a good support system is essential, as it is with anything obviously :) sometimes social influences and pressures can be a lot, and the adults don’t always know what’s going on unfortunately, even if they tried to stay abreast of things.

When I was young, Dennis G and I would throw fists at recess. Then we would brush ourselves off and that would be the end of it. It’s just different today, and while in some ways it is better, in some ways it is far more insidious and constant.
Didn't realize I edited. but yes, today sticks and stones are not the only things that hurt.

This isn't shot at anyone in particular, but your title can be "People Today are getting more sensitive."

Okay. I don’t get it.

We were talking about education and schools.

I shared what my six year old is studying in school as part of a discussion of changing, and often more “demanding” standards, and if they are making things better.

One of the things he is studying is geometry, which is the study of shapes. His book discusses it, as they sit there analyzing 3D shapes with names like rectangular prisms and cylinders and counting faces and edges and measuring them and stuff like that.

Another of the things he is studying is writing, and two specific types: persuasive writing and informational writing, which are two types of writing all teachers are familiar with. In fact, I myself am an elementary school teacher who teaches argumentative writing (differs from persuasive in that you include a counter argument) and informational writing. He literally calls it persuasive writing and informational writing. In fact, looking back, you can see “Persuasive Writing 2018” written on a sticky note from his teacher that is stuck to the front of that packet of work.

Obviously he is studying them in kindergarten. At no point did I say he is taking a high school course on the subjects.

Clearly everyone should understand that.

It is still geometry (the study of shapes) and persuasive writing. His own words.

It is different than what most of us older folks did in kindergarten, which is the entire point of the point.

I even provided a few photos to give folks an idea of what it looks like.

I am baffled that this is being argued still. There is nothing to be argued. He is literally studying geometry and persuasive writing. I don’t gain or lose anything by him studying those things; I am merely sharing what is being learned in my sons kindergarten class as part of a discussion of schooling and standards. I did not invent the terms geography and persuasive writing, nor did I assign them to what they are studying.

Someone help me out; why is this a thing?

It has nothing to do with your kid. I literally study astronomy through YouTube videos.

None Of friends or family, across 4 states, has problems. Again,a great support system does wonders.

Sure, its a testament to, I am sure, a lot of hard work creating that support system. It is also luck, in that, no matter how hard we try, sometimes our kids get pulled into things.

Your own personal experiences aside, I am still surprised that you do not see it as a serious issue. I don't think I've ever had a parent or adult say that.

Sure, its a testament to, I am sure, a lot of hard work creating that support system. It is also luck, in that, no matter how hard we try, sometimes our kids get pulled into things.

Your own personal experiences aside, I am still surprised that you do not see it as a serious issue. I don't think I've ever had a parent or adult say that.

Sigh.
But back to current topic. Yes, online bullying is real,a great support system does wonders.

Reactions: tw3301
Holy cow, are you just looking for reasons to sigh and fight?

Sorry, before your edit, you posted a few things that did not say anything along the lines of "Yeah, social media is a bit of a mess" but instead seemed to be minimizing it, all without any addition context or points:

I think of social media sites the same way I fantasized about the potential of video tv while watching the Jetsons

I guess some take it more serious.

Imagine if Social media sites had a minimum age restriction. Or parents could block sites.

Remember bullying prior to the internet?

I guess I see more positive. TBH, you kind of sound like a mother from the 60's when they first heard Rock n' Roll.:D

That's all. I'm glad you think it is a serious issue; I suppose we agree on that. I'm glad you and your family haven't had any serious issues with it; as I said, that is a compliment to you, and also you should feel lucky that that is the case (as I am sure you do).

Lurker, I feel like you are being a bit contrarian right now for no real reason. Maybe I'm wrong.

Holy cow, are you just looking for reasons to sigh and fight?

Sorry, before your edit, you posted a few things that did not say anything along the lines of "Yeah, social media is a bit of a mess" but instead seemed to be minimizing it, all without any addition context or points:

That's all. I'm glad you think it is a serious issue; I suppose we agree on that. I'm glad you and your family haven't had any serious issues with it; as I said, that is a compliment to you, and also you should feel lucky that that is the case (as I am sure you do).

Lurker, I feel like you are being a bit contrarian right now for no real reason. Maybe I'm wrong.

What are you looking for here?

...and what edit? Nevermind.

SMH. o_O

What are you looking for here?

Nothing serious; just, do you get why I was under the impression that you didn't think it was a big deal? Just clarifying is all. Glad we are largely on the same page, and that your kids are well and haven't been pulled into all the nonsense.

Nothing serious; just, do you get why I was under the impression that you didn't think it was a big deal? Just clarifying is all. Glad we are largely on the same page, and that your kids are well and haven't been pulled into all the nonsense.
Nice edit. ;)

Btw, @jhmossy makes good points about genetics. I find it hard to believe humans are dumber merely based on the fact that humans have access to more information today than any point in history. I can find out about things in 2 minutes that would've taken a guy in 1550 three weeks. Retention might be less important, but I'd think most humans will retain quite a bit of that type of information over a lifetime.

Although, social media is a train wreck.
I agree with this. I would certainly say people are more shallow and vapid. Retention has definitely fallen. I'm guilty of that myself.

Last edited:
Anyone here ever feel bullied?

giphy.gif

I agree with this. I would certainly say people are more shallow and vapid.
I kind of consider this place to be where most of us prefer to interact with other people, so in a way it's our own little social media website. We may not know who each other are in real life but we certainly know each other pretty well, atleast how we are as people.

One thing I've noticed on these boards, and this is kind of unrelated to the topic maybe not though, is that people who really like to get into debates seem to really try and use google as their friend to make their point seem valid. Meaning it's kind of obvious when somebody looks something up for a few minutes and then responds with what they read, almost like they're giving cliffnotes, but you can tell that they don't really understand the full topic of what they are talking about. It happens over on the mainboard a lot. One time there was a discussion on whether or not oil re-produces itself within the earth and may not exactly be just from dead plants and living animals from millions of years ago. It's kind of a fun theory that's been thrown around but really has no basis in the scientific community. The people over there were advocating it like it was 100% the truth, and like they were in on the discovery. My fiance has a PHD in geology so I let her read the thread and respond to those people. She legit got pissed at what everybody was saying and buried them with facts and reasons why no person would ever take the new claims seriously at this point because it absolutely did not follow the steps one must take in order to have a valid theory ready for review. People just kept coming back at her with shit they had obviously just googled and were trying to pass off as knowledge that they owned. I'm basically just saying that shit gets pretty ridiculous on our own little form of social media here. People trying to pass themselves off as being smarter than they really are when in reality they're just insecure morons whose biggest fear is losing an argument on the internet. If these boards have taught me anything it's that I'm nowhere near as intelligent as I thought I was before I began coming here.

TLDR, my fiance is marrying an idiot and I don't know why but it makes me happy.

I kind of consider this place to be where most of us prefer to interact with other people, so in a way it's our own little social media website. We may not know who each other are in real life but we certainly know each other pretty well, atleast how we are as people.

One thing I've noticed on these boards, and this is kind of unrelated to the topic maybe not though, is that people who really like to get into debates seem to really try and use google as their friend to make their point seem valid. Meaning it's kind of obvious when somebody looks something up for a few minutes and then responds with what they read, almost like they're giving cliffnotes, but you can tell that they don't really understand the full topic of what they are talking about. It happens over on the mainboard a lot. One time there was a discussion on whether or not oil re-produces itself within the earth and may not exactly be just from dead plants and living animals from millions of years ago. It's kind of a fun theory that's been thrown around but really has no basis in the scientific community. The people over there were advocating it like it was 100% the truth, and like they were in on the discovery. My fiance has a PHD in geology so I let her read the thread and respond to those people. She legit got pissed at what everybody was saying and buried them with facts and reasons why no person would ever take the new claims seriously at this point because it absolutely did not follow the steps one must take in order to have a valid theory ready for review. People just kept coming back at her with shit they had obviously just googled and were trying to pass off as knowledge that they owned. I'm basically just saying that shit gets pretty ridiculous on our own little form of social media here. People trying to pass themselves off as being smarter than they really are when in reality they're just insecure morons whose biggest fear is losing an argument on the internet. If these boards have taught me anything it's that I'm nowhere near as intelligent as I thought I was before I began coming here.

TLDR, my fiance is marrying an idiot and I don't know why but it makes me happy.

Counter point.

While the process is a shitshow, you could make a pretty strong argument that because of social media interaction, all people involved in that debate walked away knowing more than they would have with out social media.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Watched this game live. That was a TERRIBLE ejection. One of the worst I've seen.

Also, when I lived in Marquette I was good friends with people who know the home plate ump that tossed him. Apparently he is a big creep.
Kind of crazy MLB is trying to erase that video from the internet....when so many mlb fans love seeing it.

Borden said people are so stupid they dont even know which bathroom to use anymore..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT