ADVERTISEMENT

People are getting dumber...

I blame computers. Time for them to take the wheel...instead of Jesus.

guess we're too late
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5OS8zMzMvb3JpZ2luYWwvVGVzbGEtbW9kZWwteC1jcmFzaC5qcGVn

Why did they only test men? Is the curriculum the exact same now as it was then? I don’t know Norway’s education system, is there public and private or just a public school system. Without a doubt our public schools are turning out dumber and dumber kids. Who is to blame though?

Whoops, I might be wrong, it seems that they think education might be a part of it. I always thought IQ was supposed to be independent of that, something you are born with.

IQ doesn't account for education or schools.

I was speaking in general. Kids these days are just dumber. I find it odd that the average IQ has dropped like that over the short time frame, but i feel like as a society in general we are definitely getting dumber across the board.

Oh, I agree there... but my guess is that we see completely opposite evidence of it;)

I mean, I could have told you that without linking anything. It’s pretty clear if you are on any form of social media
Social media might doom the world. Every idiot that says something gets a reaction. We will be living out "idiocracy" before we know it. We make mountains out of ant hill issues and neglect to put our focus on the actual things that make our country and lives successful....Hint: it isn't kneeling during the anthem or having your own restroom to use.

Oh, I agree there... but my guess is that we see completely opposite evidence of it;)

I see what you did there.

Its an interesting article, though. There are a lot of variables that I think go into it. I think it would have been interesting if they would split the men tested into 3 groups based on their IQ; below average, aberage, and above average. I would hypothesize that the below average group had more kids than the above average and generations of this pattern has caused such a dip in the average IQ.

Not exactly established science. The article does a good job of pointing out the shortcomings of the theory and IQ tests themselves.

I see what you did there.

Its an interesting article, though. There are a lot of variables that I think go into it. I think it would have been interesting if they would split the men tested into 3 groups based on their IQ; below average, aberage, and above average. I would hypothesize that the below average group had more kids than the above average and generations of this pattern has caused such a dip in the average IQ.
Have you ever watched Mike Judge's Idiocracy? @toonces11 nailed it by bringing it up.

Have you ever watched Mike Judge's Idiocracy? @toonces11 nailed it by bringing it up.

I feel like some people all ready live life very close to this. Now they have full time access to other idiots that reinforce their stupidity. When people start inventing their reality they seem to lose the ability to be rational and make informed decisions on actual facts and instead choose to believe the narrative that most closely supports their insanity.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Whoops, I might be wrong, it seems that they think education might be a part of it. I always thought IQ was supposed to be independent of that, something you are born with.

think of IQ in athletic terms
if a kid is gifted with being a great athlete (IQ) and does not get great coaching (education) then he will never hit his full potential

Decades of lowering education standards and defunding public education have outpaced advancements in technology.

It’s as impressive as it is sad.

Spoon fed information is a double-edged sword.

As someone who teaches college students, it’s insane how little students are willing to work to figure things out on their own. I get so many questions that are easily answered by the syllabus or textbook but their default is to just ask me instead of looking on their own first.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

IQ is heritable but it’s not 100%. There’s no way IQ could raise or decrease that quickly if it was solely genetically determined. Some environmental factors that led to the Flynn effect in the first place were better nutrition, technological advances, and smaller families - putting more focus on the quality of a few children rather than cranking out as many kids as possible.

Reactions: tw3301
Decades of lowering education standards and defunding public education have outpaced advancements in technology.

It’s as impressive as it is sad.

Hm, but the thing is, we talk about standards being HIGHER... I mean, my kindergartener is writing persuasive essays and informational essays and doing geometry with 3D shapes...

Maybe it is just the WRONG standards? My wife works in child development, and she is just so sick of what is happening with schools... she feels that we have completely unrealistic and useful standards and expectations. She is FURIOUS at how much play has been eliminated from school, especially with younger ones, as she feels that play and human interaction that comes with it is one of the key things that help young people develop people skills and grit and problem solving and all of those vital, but untested, skills.

BTW, an aside; the #1 thing my wife rails against is day care. Part of one of her jobs is to go to nursery schools and day care centers and help them improve... she literally says that having children being raised and growing up in a 1 adult : 10 kid environment rather than what was a 1:1 or 1:2 or 1:3 family unit is completely destroying our society, but that we haven't figured that out yet. I will say, looking at this study, it does make sense...

Reactions: brooky03

UOfbiSy.jpg

Just two pages of the 3D shapes unit. There was also a 2D shapes unit. Gotta say, kid draws 3D shapes pretty well.

YkR5ByD.jpg

Just three of them... a persuasive one about us letting him get a dog, a persuasive one to his teacher about getting more swings, and an informational essay about spiders.

Sooooo... yeah. Good call there, as always.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
UOfbiSy.jpg

Just two pages of the 3D shapes unit. There was also a 2D shapes unit. Gotta say, kid draws 3D shapes pretty well.

YkR5ByD.jpg

Just three of them... a persuasive one about us letting him get a dog, a persuasive one to his teacher about getting more swings, and an informational essay about spiders.

Yikes

Im just kidding. Your kid can already pass classes at UNC.

UOfbiSy.jpg

YkR5ByD.jpg

So did you get her the dog? I like how she figured you were a lost cause already and doubled down on mommy for it.

IQ is more about problem solving and how your brain works and less about being book smart. But the way the brain works is that you have to use it to keep it sharp so the internet ...being able to just google any question instead of trying to problem solve it yourself might be sludging down some brain functionalities....

He, and no, no dog... I’m allergic, and I already have a wife who works when I am not working and small two kids, I don’t need a damn dog too. I’ve got enough to do as it is;) but yeah, he knew what he was doing. Sneaky little dude;)

UOfbiSy.jpg

YkR5ByD.jpg

Big deal....my 2 year old shit in the yard standing up and ran a 30 foot dash directly after like carl GD lewis. Seriously though...pretty impressive stuff your son did, I'm a little amazed.

Reactions: tw3301
Thought the exact same thing...
Past tense, right?
B/c he already backed off that gif:
Yikes

Im just kidding. Your kid can already pass classes at UNC.

You ought to think (present tense) the same thing about this:
Students don't learn much in school today. Teachers are not allowed to discipline students so it is just a great place to have a good time with your friends.

Big deal....my 2 year old shit in the yard standing up and ran a 30 foot dash directly after like carl GD lewis. Seriously though...pretty impressive stuff your son did, I'm a little amazed.

Hah!

Remember, he is six. I think this is fairly normal for a six year old.

He is pretty bright, though. This is the same kid who, when he was maybe four and a half, told me that one isn’t that small of a number, because think of all the negative numbers underneath it. He’s a good, good boy.

ADVERTISEMENT