ADVERTISEMENT

Other than dunk.. what can Malik Monk do?

Monk quietly has 16 points. Looked atrocious in the first half. Thread was premature.

He will be good. I feel like the same things are said every single year bc ppl only remember players at the end of the year..not the beginning

He will be good. I feel like the same things are said every single year bc ppl only remember players at the end of the year..not the beginning
That's true, but not all get better, Skai was better in November than he was in February and March...and this thread was a fail for this game.

Reactions: jarms24
That's true, but not all get better, Skai was better in November than he was in February and March...and this thread was a fail for this game.

Could probably agree that it's easier for a guard with physical superiority over probably every other guard he'll face to get better than a big with physical inferiority over a lot of other players he faced.

OP's premature question was answered though. He can shoot the 3 from deep (albeit, inconsistent at this stage, but that's no different than Booker or Murray when they first got to UK), he's explosive off the bounce, he has a very good mid-range game, and as seen in this game, he has some solid passing and post-up abilities.

Oh, and Briscoe got a helluva lot better.

I just recall a thread where many said he's not an elite finisher at the rim. That's 80% of what he does offensively and he's one of the best in the nation at it, probably the best at the guard position.
Yeah I remember that. Dude is great at the rim. And at getting to it. He ver starts hitting jump shots, oh boy...

I think that was Borden.
Nope. Said he couldnt shoot. Then someone said he shot 45% during last part of season. I said thats because the majority of his makes come at the rim. Never said he wasn't a good finisher. MOF, I argued that he was.

Kentucky should be fine. This though IMO, will be Cal's toughest coaching job. Has some kids ( Monk, Fox, Briscoe)who seem to be at their best, with the ball, and creating. Really no true 2 guard.
They seem to struggle in h/c, but mist teams do early. Relying alot on getting out and running. Thats fine vs teams of lesser talent. But vs the likes of KU, MSU, UL,UNC, etc.....wont be as easy.

Very, very athletic. Maybe Cal's fastest/athletic team yet.

I see a guy like Mulder eventually finding minutes. And book this:
Mulder will be directly responsible for more than one UK win this year.

It almost seems foolish to try and gauge a UK team in November. But....this group IMO will be Cal's toughest task.

Reactions: 1 person
On the plus side, its looking like all of us non Kentucky fans went a little too pessimistic on Briscoe during the offseason. I was even saying he shouldnt start. Lol im dumb.

QFT

Nope. Said he couldnt shoot. Then someone said he shot 45% during last part of season. I said thats because the majority of his makes come at the rim. Never said he wasn't a good finisher. MOF, I argued that he was.

Okay my bad. I remember that now that you mention it. Sorry for that.

I think Briscoe is a guy that could be a great college player but probably won't make it in the pros.

He'll likely leave after this season regardless of whether or not he's going to get drafted though.

I think Briscoe is a guy that could be a great college player but probably won't make it in the pros.

He'll likely leave after this season regardless of whether or not he's going to get drafted though.

I think he'll make it in the pros as a solid 2 way player. Briscoe has an old man's game. So hard for anybody to stop off the dribble though.

you mean to tell me a highly regarded freshman comes to UK, seems to get off to a slow start, struggles a bit in the first few games? Nooooooo.....

Never happens.

He'll be fine. Bam will be fine. Murray looked like a lost cause at this point last year also and dude ended up arguably a top 3 SG in the nation. Monk is taking some awful shots right now. That'll stop.

Card fans are always offering up their UK 'scouting reports'....funny how committed they are to following UK....

I don't know how the conversation came about, but there were a bunch of people in agreement that he wasn't.
There sure were several posters on here that were in agreement that Briscoe wasn't elite at the rim. Wish I would have added the threads to favorites, since I have that crow ready to serve them. Someone stated that analytics showed that Briscoe was on par with Luke Kennard at finishing at the rim. Some were Duke fans and some were Louisville fans, IIRC. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

Reactions: RipThru and jarms24
There sure were several posters on here that were in agreement that Briscoe wasn't elite at the rim. Wish I would have added the threads to favorites, since I have that crow ready to serve them. Someone stated that analytics showed that Briscoe was on par with Luke Kennard at finishing at the rim. Some were Duke fans and some were Louisville fans, IIRC. Imagine that. :rolleyes:
I looked for it but I think it was deleted in a spam attack. I'm not sure who it was but yeah they were comparing those players stats from last year.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Kentucky should be fine. This though IMO, will be Cal's toughest coaching job. Has some kids ( Monk, Fox, Briscoe)who seem to be at their best, with the ball, and creating. Really no true 2 guard.
They seem to struggle in h/c, but mist teams do early. Relying alot on getting out and running. Thats fine vs teams of lesser talent. But vs the likes of KU, MSU, UL,UNC, etc.....wont be as easy.

Very, very athletic. Maybe Cal's fastest/athletic team yet.

I see a guy like Mulder eventually finding minutes. And book this:
Mulder will be directly responsible for more than one UK win this year.

It almost seems foolish to try and gauge a UK team in November. But....this group IMO will be Cal's toughest task.

This team is very coachable, so I'm not sure why you would think this will be Cal's biggest challenge. They share the ball. Imagine 5 stars sharing the ball. The assists far out number the to's even at this early in the year. As far as running, Cal wants them to run. These guys are fast, quick and athletic. Its an advantage to do that. Defense is the difficult part. These guys really didn't play defense in high school and definitely didn't learn how to switch and help out. They struggle at times with this, which is to be expected.

I don't think their style will be a problem with any team. Once this team gets clicking on offense, and they will, they're almost impossible to defend. Cal keeps saying they're a really good 3 shooting team, but is puzzled why its not translating in the games.

Getting freshman to gel early is difficult, but this team has come along very well and I'm very pleased with their progress.

This team is very coachable, so I'm not sure why you would think this will be Cal's biggest challenge. They share the ball. Imagine 5 stars sharing the ball. The assists far out number the to's even at this early in the year. As far as running, Cal wants them to run. These guys are fast, quick and athletic. Its an advantage to do that. Defense is the difficult part. These guys really didn't play defense in high school and definitely didn't learn how to switch and help out. They struggle at times with this, which is to be expected.

I don't think their style will be a problem with any team. Once this team gets clicking on offense, and they will, they're almost impossible to defend. Cal keeps saying they're a really good 3 shooting team, but is puzzled why its not translating in the games.

Getting freshman to gel early is difficult, but this team has come along very well and I'm very pleased with their progress.
I said why. He has three guys in Briscoe, Fox and Mobk who seemed to be AT THEIR BEST, with the ball, and creating. Figuring out how to manage thAt could be tough. Yes I know they share the ball well. But thats not my point. All three seem more comfortable, and more dangerous with the ball, opposed to having it thrown to them.

Btw, Cal says he has a great shooting team every year. Nothing new there. Cats have one, pure shooter IMO, and that's Willis. Monk to me is a streak shooter. Can hit 5.6 or 7 in a row. Miss his next 10.

Ok. I know he said as much last year. Both years twins were there. Teams with Lamb. So maybe once he didnt. Maybe twice. I dunno. Hard to keep up with him.

he's never once said any year he thought they'd be a "great" shooting team in the preseason. Never. He says a lot of the times that he's not worried about it, which is completely different.

Do remember him saying before 2011 and 2012 seasons he thought they should be good at shooting, but has never used the word "great" once. Only time he ever says "great" is when he's referring to his expectations of his team defensively.

Ok. I know he said as much last year. Both years twins were there. Teams with Lamb. So maybe once he didnt. Maybe twice. I dunno. Hard to keep up with him.
Cal is pretty blunt in his postgame and even halftime interviews. Hell more often than not he goes into negative hyperbole in order to play mindgames to get what he wants out of them.

he's never once said any year he thought they'd be a "great" shooting team in the preseason. Never. He says a lot of the times that he's not worried about it, which is completely different.

Do remember him saying before 2011 and 2012 seasons he thought they should be good at shooting, but has never used the word "great" once. Only time he ever says "great" is when he's referring to his expectations of his team defensively.
Ok. He said good. My bad.

Reactions: JustinSphere
ADVERTISEMENT