ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PGA Championship

His combined score for both was the best in all of golf.

Individual wins take some luck, just like in every sport. But just like if you make the NCAAT as a top 2 seed enough times, you'll eventually breakthrough, if you play at the level of golf Tiger played at for the British and PGA long enough, you'll win a major eventually.
Tell that to Virginia.

Reactions: 829305
Again, he did play better than EVERYONE else over the last two majors.

But he didn't play better than everyone else in either major. I think that is the counterpoint. In each tourney he plays, there is a really good chance someone will be better because of the quality of the field, especially relevant to his current game versus the old Tiger.

Reactions: 829305 and tw3301
I also keep seeing "but he didn't hit any fairways" like that's a good thing. It's cool that he scrambled and shot very well but if he wants to win he needs to learn how to hit a driver.

Weird, cause he didn't win.

Fwiw, I'd love to see Tiger win a major again; I just don't think he will.

I think you're missing the part about "over the two." It's like if someone said "Over the last decade, UNC has been the best program in college basketball." Doesn't mean y'all were the best in every individual year. Doesn't mean you always won. It just means that over that time period, y'all were the best.

Surely you can understand that, right?

Tell that to Virginia.

I know that was said in jest, and yes it was funny.

But Duke made 8 final fours and 15 NCAAT appearances before winning a title. Like I said, keep making it enough times and eventually you'll breakthrough.

If Tiger plays the way he did over the last two majors for the next 2-3 years, he will win at least 1 major.

But he didn't play better than everyone else in either major. I think that is the counterpoint. In each tourney he plays, there is a really good chance someone will be better because of the quality of the field, especially relevant to his current game versus the old Tiger.

Of course there is a counterpoint. There are no certainties in life besides death and taxes. But that counterpoint, while valid, doesn't change the FACT that I stated: Tiger Woods was the best golfer over the last two majors.

All I've said is that I think betting $100 that the guy who was just the best golfer over the last two majors will NEVER win another major is a bet that I'd not be feeling overly confident in.

Of course there is a counterpoint. There are no certainties in life besides death and taxes. But that counterpoint, while valid, doesn't change the FACT that I stated: Tiger Woods was the best golfer over the last two majors.

All I've said is that I think betting $100 that the guy who was just the best golfer over the last two majors will NEVER win another major is a bet that I'd not be feeling overly confident in.

I get that. I just think the counter is the stronger argument.

Nothing like today's players. It's okay. I like the era I grew up in too. ;)
If those guys had the technology, etc, etc...of today, then? They'd be just as good. Probably better. The game has changed tremendously. Advancement of the ball...clubs, etc, etc..

I know that was said in jest, and yes it was funny.

But Duke made 8 final fours and 15 NCAAT appearances before winning a title. Like I said, keep making it enough times and eventually you'll breakthrough.

If Tiger plays the way he did over the last two majors for the next 2-3 years, he will win at least 1 major.
Making the final four is breaking through imo.

Reactions: GE Nole
Tell that to Virginia.

s67ju.jpg

Reactions: tw3301
ADVERTISEMENT