ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PGA Championship

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Tiger on the prowl. 0-7 On fairways, but somehow is -3 for the day. He starts hitting the fairway, look out.
His second shot on 9 was unbelievable.

I haven’t been this excited watching golf in a long time.
Tiger does that. If he's even 50% on his fairways today, he's probably wunning.
Edit:
And in fairness. When you have 150 golfers within 3 shots, it makes for fun golf.

Reactions: schoonerwest
Well, shit. Maybe Tiger's better off missing the fairways. His second shot there was shit.

Man what a tournament. First time in a long time I haven't changed the channel.

I’m just not seeing anyone catch Brooks. He’s playing very well. That said, golf is twice as exciting when Tiger is in the thick of things. Huge fan of his, would be the greatest win of his career.

I’m just not seeing anyone catch Brooks. He’s playing very well. That said, golf is twice as exciting when Tiger is in the thick of things. Huge fan of his, would be the greatest win of his career.
Yeah I think Thomas and Tiger pissed away their chances on the front 9; Especially first four or 5 when Kopeka was struggling. He seems to have found his groove now.

Fvck!! Tiger can catch a break. Two putts have killed him. One for birdie. This last one for par. Both...Man I dunno how those don't drop. Currently 2 shots back with 4 to play; Kopeka and Scott [co-leaders] have 5 to play.

Tiger is rolling. Scott tied with Kopeka. I was with you on this. But right now, Tiger looking like the Tiger of 2000. He's killing the course.

Don’t know if you guys caught that but watching the crowd cheer for Tiger when he walked to the clubhouse gave me serious goosebumps. Maybe only LeBron James and Michael Jordan are bigger names in sports these past couple of decades so to see him play the way he did today was a treat for us all.

Not a big Tiger fan but he looks good outside of the driver. He will definitely make some noise going forward. It is good to really have him back (today was the first time he looked like legit Tiger). USA golf is awesome right now. So many great young players.

Don’t know if you guys caught that but watching the crowd cheer for Tiger when he walked to the clubhouse gave me serious goosebumps. Maybe only LeBron James and Michael Jordan are bigger names in sports these past couple of decades so to see him play the way he did today was a treat for us all.
Couple buddies were there today. Couldn’t go cause my youngest had to go and have a birthday party. Anyway, they said the ground was literally shaking from the crowd when Tiger was making his run.

Reactions: schoonerwest
So many great young players.

Made a $100 bet w a buddy a few majors ago that Tiger will never win another one. And I made the bet because I kinda feel like even if he gets hot, there could be someone talented enough to beat him. Today it was Koepka.

Made a $100 bet w a buddy a few majors ago that Tiger will never win another one. And I made the bet because I kinda feel like even if he gets hot, there could be someone talented enough to beat him. Today it was Koepka.

I mean, it is probably a good bet. There are so many great young golfers and so many guys who are simply better than him right now. Still, today he was Tiger for the first time. It is the first day I felt he could win, even if it never happens in a major.

You're gonna lose that bet. Tiger had the best combined score for the British and PGA out of ALL golfers. He's already playing at a level good enough to win a major, and it's only been 5 months since he came back in full.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with that bet. He missed fairways all day long; 1-9 on the front nine. And still shot a 64. He gets that figured out and he's gonna be a load.

You're gonna lose that bet. Tiger had the best combined score for the British and PGA out of ALL golfers. He's already playing at a level good enough to win a major, and it's only been 5 months since he came back in full.
This. He missed like 80% of the fairways..And still shot a GOD damn 64. I mean...who does that?

This. He missed like 80% of the fairways..And still shot a GOD damn 64. I mean...who does that?
This guy vvvv

2fy09a.jpg

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I mean, it is probably a good bet. There are so many great young golfers and so many guys who are simply better than him right now. Still, today he was Tiger for the first time. It is the first day I felt he could win, even if it never happens in a major.
I'm not sure others are THAT much better. I mean he struggled all day. And yet, was right there. I mean Cory, if his birdie putt doesn't come up millimeters short; how that didn't go in is beyond me. And then his par putt rim out. That's two shots.
He's right there. And is getting closer each time out. No way I'd bet against him.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with that bet. He missed fairways all day long; 1-9 on the front nine. And still shot a 64. He gets that figured out and he's gonna be a load.

I feel okay about the bet. He’ll be a year older next time round. Father Time. Undefeated.

I feel okay about the bet. He’ll be a year older next time round. Father Time. Undefeated.

I mean, it's just $100, so that ain't gonna hurt the wallet. But again, he was THE BEST golfer in the world over the last two majors...and he's only been back for like 5 months off a multi-year absence. The Masters is only 8 months from now and it's a course he plays very well. Then Pebble Beach and Bethpage Black--both courses he loves.

If Tom Watson can go into a playoff at the British Open at age 59, Tiger Woods can certainly win a major at 43.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Yeah. He'll be a whopping 43. Jack won the Masters at 46. Irwin The Open at 45. Many have pushed for majors deep into the 50's.
His game is coming back.
Again, he was meh on Sunday, and if not for two very unlucky rolls, he may have won the damn thing. IMO, if he hits his fairways, he wins. And possibly runs away with it. Dude was awful off the tee, and still carded a 64; His lowest scorer in a major, on the final day.
Yeah----father time, huh?

Yeah. He'll be a whopping 43. Jack won the Masters at 46. Irwin The Open at 45. Many have pushed for majors deep into the 50's.
His game is coming back.
Again, he was meh on Sunday, and if not for two very unlucky rolls, he may have won the damn thing. IMO, if he hits his fairways, he wins. And possibly runs away with it. Dude was awful off the tee, and still carded a 64; His lowest scorer in a major, on the final day.
Yeah----father time, huh?

The competition then was nothing like it is today. Not even close.

I mean, it's just $100, so that ain't gonna hurt the wallet. But again, he was THE BEST golfer in the world over the last two majors...and he's only been back for like 5 months off a multi-year absence. The Masters is only 8 months from now and it's a course he plays very well. Then Pebble Beach and Bethpage Black--both courses he loves.

If Tom Watson can go into a playoff at the British Open at age 59, Tiger Woods can certainly win a major at 43.

Good call on Watson, but he still lost. And of course tiger CAN win, but I’d put it at 50/50-ish.

Good call on Watson, but he still lost. And of course tiger CAN win, but I’d put it at 50/50-ish.

You seem pretty confident in your previous posts for a 50/50 $100 bet.

I'd put it at 80/20 he wins another major.

Reactions: 829305
You seem pretty confident in your previous posts for a 50/50 $100 bet.

I'd put it at 80/20 he wins another major.
I felt better before this weekend. I guess I’m betting he’ll get reinjured before long, too. He stays healthy, then I’d agree on 80/20.

Reactions: GE Nole
The competition then was nothing like it is today. Not even close.
Yeah I know. Those guys...Palmer, Trevino, Zoeller,Faldo, Player, Watson, Norman, Ballesteros, etc, etc...Chopped liver. :rolleyes:

Nothing like today's players. It's okay. I like the era I grew up in too. ;)
I think today's players are probably better, due to athletes in general getting better. However, give those guys borden listed today's technology and practice methods, and they'd be right there.

Reactions: tw3301
I'm not sure others are THAT much better. I mean he struggled all day. And yet, was right there. I mean Cory, if his birdie putt doesn't come up millimeters short; how that didn't go in is beyond me. And then his par putt rim out. That's two shots.
He's right there. And is getting closer each time out. No way I'd bet against him.

And Keopka missed a few easy ones by just a little or he runs away with it even earlier, which is kind of the point. I would bet for every tournament Tiger plays well in there is a Koepka or Thomas or Reed that will play a little better. Also, it isn't like Tiger is going to figure his driver out. He may get a little better but he will always spray the ball a bit. He certainly should give people some hope there is a chance though. First time we have been able to say that in a while.

Reactions: 829305
I don't understand how you can say that when he lost both.

His combined score for both was the best in all of golf.

Individual wins take some luck, just like in every sport. But just like if you make the NCAAT as a top 2 seed enough times, you'll eventually breakthrough, if you play at the level of golf Tiger played at for the British and PGA long enough, you'll win a major eventually.

And Keopka missed a few easy ones by just a little or he runs away with it even earlier, which is kind of the point. I would bet for every tournament Tiger plays well in there is a Koepka or Thomas or Reed that will play a little better. Also, it isn't like Tiger is going to figure his driver out. He may get a little better but he will always spray the ball a bit. He certainly should give people some hope there is a chance though. First time we have been able to say that in a while.

He honestly doesn't have to play better to win a major. That's the point. He's already playing at a high enough level to win majors. Brooks was just a tad better last weekend.

He honestly doesn't have to play better to win a major. That's the point. He's already playing at a high enough level to win majors. Brooks was just a tad better last weekend.

He has to play better than he has played up until very recently. Other guys have been playing at that level a lot more consistently. The bet there is pretty easy. That doesn't mean he won't win but the chances aren't great. They are certainly much better than they were though.

He has to play better than he has played up until very recently. Other guys have been playing at that level a lot more consistently. The bet there is pretty easy. That doesn't mean he won't win but the chances aren't great. They are certainly much better than they were though.
Exactly. What percentage chance does he have to win a tournament each time out? *7-8% ish? So, he should eventually get one, if he plays 15-20 more, but that also requires health at an age which isn't so forgiving. However, every time he plays there is a 90% chance he doesn't win.

*I realize the percentages are completely made up, but what I'd guess they're close to.

He has to play better than EVERYONE else. I think that's the only point here. The competition is high, and Tiger ain't 25.

He has to play better than EVERYONE else. I think that's the only point here. The competition is high, and Tiger ain't 25.

Again, he did play better than EVERYONE else over the last two majors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT