ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is It Racist?

If someone tells you they locked their keys in their car and you say, "Sorry," does that mean you're accepting responsibility for it, or just that you regret it happened and that you are empathizing?

I don't think the announcer had racist intent but the saying has a serious racial overtone. The announcer should apologize and learn from it. If he does, everyone else should move on.

When you order your coffee black at Starbucks, they automatically serve it to go.

Da6p7PnXUAAhfLC.jpg:large

Nothing racist about the phrase.
Ummm... other than the images it brings to mind and how people react to it and the time period it came about and the location where it was coined... but hey, you've got intent on your side, so...

Yeah, I think you can say there is some small amount of racism about the phrase, given that it is a left over from the days of slavery. I don’t think anyone means it that way, but the phrase itself... well, it’s worth noting the background.

Is wanting to buy a house in a suburb to avoid city crime considered racist or just smart?

Wanting to buy a house in the suburbs to avoid crime isn't racist at all. Suburb life isn't for me, but I can see the appeal for some.

However, asking the question the way you did probably does have a racist undertone. It implies that you view "city crime" as a product of being around black people (or people of a different race than you, which I'm assuming is white). The real drivers of crime are typically poverty, lack of education, and high population densities...not the color of a person's skin.

Reactions: SNU0821
Wanting to buy a house in the suburbs to avoid crime isn't racist at all. Suburb life isn't for me, but I can see the appeal for some.

However, asking the question the way you did probably does have a racist undertone. It implies that you view "city crime" as a product of being around black people (or people of a different race than you, which I'm assuming is white). The real drivers of crime are typically poverty, lack of education, and high population densities...not the color of a person's skin.

We agree that having a certain skin color doesn't force a person to commit a crime they wouldn't otherwise commit.

Reactions: SNU0821 and GE Nole
The creation of the suburbs is a bit more suspicious...
I can't speak to how it is everywhere, just what I see around me. But I see that the older generation of black people around here are more outgoing towards white people their age than the younger generation. I am not saying that the younger generation is not outgoing at all, it is just more likely that you will see a black man in his 70's having breakfast or sitting on a bench with a white man in his 70's than you are with folks in their 20's.

The only reason I bring it up is because, obviously these people experienced more of a challenge in society growing up. They experienced a lot more hatred and despise from whites than the younger generation has, yet they seem to be a more forgiving group. A lot can be learned from their experiences.

I can't speak to how it is everywhere, just what I see around me. But I see that the older generation of black people around here are more outgoing towards white people their age than the younger generation. I am not saying that the younger generation is not outgoing at all, it is just more likely that you will see a black man in his 70's having breakfast or sitting on a bench with a white man in his 70's than you are with folks in their 20's.

The only reason I bring it up is because, obviously these people experienced more of a challenge in society growing up. They experienced a lot more hatred and despise from whites than the younger generation has, yet they seem to be a more forgiving group. A lot can be learned from their experiences.

Data is not the plural of anecdote.

Honestly, yes....

Honestly, yes.

This a great example of how liberals are just confused. Minorities dont view themselves the way you view them. You're distorted misconception of what they have and what you think they want is the problem. They want to be left the f*** alone and dont want a clueless group of white liberals telling them how to think and feel.

This was a solid watch. Thank you.

I will say, the girl who mentioned the lack of voting rights for felons is spot on in terms of disproportionately impacting minorities. Not surprised he didn't follow-up on that one.

Not something I've observed, but interesting all the same.

It could also be that people in their 70s have made their peace with things more so than people in their 20s have, but your observation could imply that that peace is personal rather than societal.

Us old folks were never as racist as we were supposed to be.

My best friend is a black man. I don't like him because he is black, I just like him. He and I have common history, we like each other’s families, we like to share dinners together, we like to tell lies together and we like the same bourbon (he does drink my best at a higher rate than I drink his best). Our biggest problem when we get together is trying to get in a word edgewise.

We simply enjoy each other’s company even though he grew up in the inner city and I am a country boy. What we find amazing is that our family culture was so similar. The only thing wrong is he is a Louisville fan.

Us old folks were never as racist as we were supposed to be.

My best friend is a black man. I don't like him because he is black, I just like him. He and I have common history, we like each other’s families, we like to share dinners together, we like to tell lies together and we like the same bourbon (he does drink my best at a higher rate than I drink his best). Our biggest problem when we get together is trying to get in a word edgewise.

We simply enjoy each other’s company even though he grew up in the inner city and I am a country boy. What we find amazing is that our family culture was so similar. The only thing wrong is he is a Louisville fan.
Bert everyone on this board knows you like Louisville too. You've told us countless times you root for them ;)

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
IMO only certain people can say it is offensive. Those would those that it actually offends. Let's not trivialize "racism". I use the definition of racism as 'the enforcement of ones prejudices". There is real evil in racism.

IMO only certain people can say it is offensive. Those would those that it actually offends. Let's not trivialize "racism". I use the definition of racism as 'the enforcement of ones prejudices". There is real evil in racism.
I'd say those are the people who get to decide whether it is offensive or not, but others can support them.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
Do people really want attention this bad? IMO, I wouldn't have anyone who thinks like this represent my university.

A writing professor at California State University at Fresno had a blunt message for those offering up fond remembrances:

“Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who, along with her husband, raised a war criminal,” Randa Jarrar wrote Tuesday night on Twitter, according to the Fresno Bee.

In another tweet, the outspoken professor wrote: “I’m happy the witch is dead. can’t wait for the rest of her family to fall to their demise the way 1.5 million iraqis have. byyyeeeeeee.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...ics-‘i-will-never-be-fired’/ar-AAw2hxF?li=BBnb7Kz

Do people really want attention this bad? IMO, I wouldn't have anyone who thinks like this represent my university.

A writing professor at California State University at Fresno had a blunt message for those offering up fond remembrances:

“Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who, along with her husband, raised a war criminal,” Randa Jarrar wrote Tuesday night on Twitter, according to the Fresno Bee.

In another tweet, the outspoken professor wrote: “I’m happy the witch is dead. can’t wait for the rest of her family to fall to their demise the way 1.5 million iraqis have. byyyeeeeeee.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...ics-‘i-will-never-be-fired’/ar-AAw2hxF?li=BBnb7Kz
What a miserable bitch. She is from Cali, though, so this isn't surprising.

I wonder if she mourns for Iraqis killed by their former dictator, or the Syrians being slaughtered and gassed by their current dictator. Or if it's just the Iraqis and Syrians that have died at the hands of American intervention. Do you think she mourns for the North Koreans that are being used as slaves and starved by their dictator? I bet she would lead the apology campaign if there were to be war between them and the U.S.A.

My wife showed me a Facebook post from a coworker that apologized to Syria for our "dictator" president and said that his murderous actions do not represent the American people. I don't do Facebook, but damn if I did I would have posted the videos of Syrians celebrating our assault and asking for more.

I am sorry but cliche or not, progressive liberalism is a disgusting thing in this country and I am glad that more people are opening their eyes to it.

Not even going to address the claim of racism there. That's just the cool thing to do nowadays.

I wonder if she mourns for Iraqis killed by their former dictator, or the Syrians being slaughtered and gassed by their current dictator. Or if it's just the Iraqis and Syrians that have died at the hands of American intervention. Do you think she mourns for the North Koreans that are being used as slaves and starved by their dictator? I bet she would lead the apology campaign if there were to be war between them and the U.S.A.

My wife showed me a Facebook post from a coworker that apologized to Syria for our "dictator" president and said that his murderous actions do not represent the American people. I don't do Facebook, but damn if I did I would have posted the videos of Syrians celebrating our assault and asking for more.

I am sorry but cliche or not, progressive liberalism is a disgusting thing in this country and I am glad that more people are opening their eyes to it.

Not even going to address the claim of racism there. That's just the cool thing to do nowadays.
Solid post.

I love it when people claim its their right to free speech to say anything they want. I just wish the state farm guy would pop out on these people and remind them that although they do have the right, it also comes with consequences. Claiming she is tenured and untouchable seemed like the dumbest move she could have made. Who knows....its probably all orchestrated to get the university to fire her and then she can sue or make herself a national story.

Why I have trouble sometimes taking the liberal mind set seriously.

I love it when people claim its their right to free speech to say anything they want. I just wish the state farm guy would pop out on these people and remind them that although they do have the right, it also comes with consequences. Claiming she is tenured and untouchable seemed like the dumbest move she could have made. Who knows....its probably all orchestrated to get the university to fire her and then she can sue or make herself a national story.
She's already claiming to be a victim of backlash because she is a Muslim woman. Not because of what she said.

To top it off, she is a Muslim immigrant from Kuwait that came here after Desert Storm. A war that liberated her people from Iraq. You would think that she would have some gratitude for the Bushes.
Sometimes I feel like these crazy libs take the most extreme position possible about things without even having rational thought about it. Had she known how stupid and how many times she contradicted herself, I seriously doubt she would have opened her fat mouth. But because its against the "evil white man" its all good.

She's already claiming to be a victim of backlash because she is a Muslim woman. Not because of what she said.
I'll try to find it, but she has written controversial stuff before and nothing was done by the school. She wrote a piece called "Why I cant stand white belly dancers" and followed it up after a big backlash with "why I still cant stand white belly dancers".

(Jarrar wrote an opinion piece called, Why I Can't Stand White Belly-Dancers which was published in Salon, 2014. In this piece, Jarrar said she felt that white women who take part in the art of bellydance are engaging in cultural appropriation and "brown face.")

Her commentary was widely criticized; UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh stated ironically "Maybe telling people that they can’t work in some field because they have the wrong color or ancestry would be … rats, I don’t know what to call it. If only there were an adjective that could be used to mean 'telling people that they mustn’t do something, because of their race or ethnic origin'"

I just don't see how this kind of stuff is acceptable coming from someone who teaches for a living. How is it justified to keep her on staff?

I'll try to find it, but she has written controversial stuff before and nothing was done by the school. She wrote a piece called "Why I cant stand white belly dancers" and followed it up after a big backlash with "why I still cant stand white belly dancers".

(Jarrar wrote an opinion piece called, Why I Can't Stand White Belly-Dancers which was published in Salon, 2014. In this piece, Jarrar said she felt that white women who take part in the art of bellydance are engaging in cultural appropriation and "brown face.")

Her commentary was widely criticized; UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh stated ironically "Maybe telling people that they can’t work in some field because they have the wrong color or ancestry would be … rats, I don’t know what to call it. If only there were an adjective that could be used to mean 'telling people that they mustn’t do something, because of their race or ethnic origin'"

I just don't see how this kind of stuff is acceptable coming from someone who teaches for a living. How is it justified to keep her on staff?
She teaches in California. That's why its okay and she's getting away with it.

ADVERTISEMENT