ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is It Racist?

Do people really want attention this bad? IMO, I wouldn't have anyone who thinks like this represent my university.

A writing professor at California State University at Fresno had a blunt message for those offering up fond remembrances:

“Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who, along with her husband, raised a war criminal,” Randa Jarrar wrote Tuesday night on Twitter, according to the Fresno Bee.

In another tweet, the outspoken professor wrote: “I’m happy the witch is dead. can’t wait for the rest of her family to fall to their demise the way 1.5 million iraqis have. byyyeeeeeee.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...ics-‘i-will-never-be-fired’/ar-AAw2hxF?li=BBnb7Kz

She is pathetic

I just can't wrap my head around professors being employed with these type of stances. I know we mostly hear about liberal colleges and academics who label themselves progressive, but i'm sure there are examples of the opposing political views that have outliers as well. But for a group of people that claim to be progressive....they sure seem to be more ignorant, uneducated, and racist then the very people they try to attack. Why would anyone employ people like this? And why is there so much of this stupidity in the academic world----where being educated and rational is basically a job requirement?

Man, a LOT of strange conservative self-congratulating bullshit in this thread right now.

Reactions: B-Westy
I just can't wrap my head around professors being employed with these type of stances. I know we mostly hear about liberal colleges and academics who label themselves progressive, but i'm sure there are examples of the opposing political views that have outliers as well. But for a group of people that claim to be progressive....they sure seem to be more ignorant, uneducated, and racist then the very people they try to attack. Why would anyone employ people like this? And why is there so much of this stupidity in the academic world----where being educated and rational is basically a job requirement?
It has to be some kind of agenda to eradicate a particular party and obtain the ultimate power to control our thoughts and limit our ability as a nation to challenge the government through the brainwashing of our youth. Right? Probably just crazy talk.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
At the end, @JimboBBN will eat you. He always eats the biscuit.
tenor.gif

The pile-on and broad-brushing of California, liberals, educators, etc...

It's not representative of progressives.
I'd agree that the terms liberal/conservative/progressive almost have zero meaning when used as descriptors b/c the original thoughts and beliefs of those terms are getting tied to anyone that has a few of those beliefs and then a whole bunch of crazy that any rational person wouldn't get behind. I think the best action is for those that represent true liberalism, conservatism, and the progressive ideology distance themselves from the idiots that claim to belong but are obviously part of the problem. I think a major concern is members of parties seem to willing to support some of these idiots when they are making a reasonable point, but avoid commenting when they clearly disagree with some crazy thought or idea they try to push. Turning a blind eye seems to be status quo.

California is a strange monster. I know there are many areas in Cali that don't fall into the broad brush stereo type. And my comments on educators weren't meant to be unbalanced. The good far outweigh the bad----but to my above point, it needs more self policing when professors are public about being biased and pushing their politics and beliefs on students.

I'd agree that the terms liberal/conservative/progressive almost have zero meaning when used as descriptors b/c the original thoughts and beliefs of those terms are getting tied to anyone that has a few of those beliefs and then a whole bunch of crazy that any rational person wouldn't get behind. I think the best action is for those that represent true liberalism, conservatism, and the progressive ideology distance themselves from the idiots that claim to belong but are obviously part of the problem. I think a major concern is members of parties seem to willing to support some of these idiots when they are making a reasonable point, but avoid commenting when they clearly disagree with some crazy thought or idea they try to push. Turning a blind eye seems to be status quo.

California is a strange monster. I know there are many areas in Cali that don't fall into the broad brush stereo type. And my comments on educators weren't meant to be unbalanced. The good far outweigh the bad----but to my above point, it needs more self policing when professors are public about being biased and pushing their politics and beliefs on students.
I did make it a point to comment on "progressive" liberals. There are too many of these hateful comments coming from progressives to say that these comments are not representative of progressives today. They are the party of tolerance and acceptance, yet their stancees breed so much hate. One day we will be able to fight hate without inciting it ourselves. Or maybe we won't.

Do people really want attention this bad? IMO, I wouldn't have anyone who thinks like this represent my university.

A writing professor at California State University at Fresno had a blunt message for those offering up fond remembrances:

“Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who, along with her husband, raised a war criminal,” Randa Jarrar wrote Tuesday night on Twitter, according to the Fresno Bee.

In another tweet, the outspoken professor wrote: “I’m happy the witch is dead. can’t wait for the rest of her family to fall to their demise the way 1.5 million iraqis have. byyyeeeeeee.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...ics-‘i-will-never-be-fired’/ar-AAw2hxF?li=BBnb7Kz
Wow!

I did make it a point to comment on "progressive" liberals. There are too many of these hateful comments coming from progressives to say that these comments are not representative of progressives today. They are the party of tolerance and acceptance, yet their stancees breed so much hate. One day we will be able to fight hate without inciting it ourselves. Or maybe we won't.
I think I'd agree with that. I don't know if I could say a few/some/most and have any knowledge if it was accurate. What Ive been exposed to it sure seems like the most outspoken and outrageous fanatics seem to cling to their progressive label as well as being consumed with social issues. Whomever decided to decide on the tenants of being progressive couldn't have possibly envisioned what people are using it for now---b/c a lot of it is so hate filled. Their idea of civil discourse doesn't even come close to the actual meaning of the term.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
The pile-on and broad-brushing of California, liberals, educators, etc...

It's not representative of progressives.

This. EXACTLY this. Folks are literally taking a woman who, I would wager, is as far to the left as possible as you can be, and on top of that a woman who has a personal connection to the Middle East, and on TOP of that seems to enjoy controversy and saying crazy things, and then making it all about liberals and progressives, and how California is terrible, and professors and educators are terrible, and so on and so forth. My bet is not a single liberal or educator I know would support what she said (although they could discuss where it comes from without getting too worked up, or defend her right to say it and the subsequent response from people).

Last edited:
Upfront, I'll state that what she said was deplorable and worthy of the extra hurdle of tenure to fire her.

I'll do my best to explain the mindset... Progressives can fall into the trap of pushing so hard they start counter-attacking anyone representing the establishment, which is going to hit a lot of innocent individuals. Among academics, I would specify college-level academics. They're often insulated from the so-called "real world." (For students, that's appropriate, like wittle baby turtles learning to swim in a peaceful lagoon before taking on the ocean; for professors who never leave that environment, it allows for really skewed worldviews.)

Tenure was created so that curriculum wasn't compromised by politics and professors could research and explore w/o fear of subjective consequences. It's an appropriate thing, but obviously something that can be abused, like if this woman gets away with this.

If she has a negative opinion of Barbara Bush, there should be a place for her to voice that. Not comparing the two, but when Fidel Castro died, President Obama made a diplomatic, gracious, sugar-coated statement and Marco Rubio blasted him for it, calling Castro a horrible person. If this professor had similar feelings toward Barbara Bush, she has the right to say it; she is justified in saying it; and as a teacher, you could even argue that she had a duty to insert a devil's advocate position into public discourse that is otherwise entirely laudatory.

How she said it is unacceptable even then, though: being glad she died, blaming her for who she gave birth to...

Upfront, I'll state that what she said was deplorable and worthy of the extra hurdle of tenure to fire her.

I'll do my best to explain the mindset... Progressives can fall into the trap of pushing so hard they start counter-attacking anyone representing the establishment, which is going to hit a lot of innocent individuals. Among academics, I would specify college-level academics. They're often insulated from the so-called "real world." (For students, that's appropriate, like wittle baby turtles learning to swim in a peaceful lagoon before taking on the ocean; for professors who never leave that environment, it allows for really skewed worldviews.)

Tenure was created so that curriculum wasn't compromised by politics and professors could research and explore w/o fear of subjective consequences. It's an appropriate thing, but obviously something that can be abused, like if this woman gets away with this.

If she has a negative opinion of Barbara Bush, there should be a place for her to voice that. Not comparing the two, but when Fidel Castro died, President Obama made a diplomatic, gracious, sugar-coated statement and Marco Rubio blasted him for it, calling Castro a horrible person. If this professor had similar feelings toward Barbara Bush, she has the right to say it; she is justified in saying it; and as a teacher, you could even argue that she had a duty to insert a devil's advocate position into public discourse that is otherwise entirely laudatory.

How she said it is unacceptable even then, though: being glad she died, blaming her for who she gave birth to...

Agreed completely.

And I dont see ANYONE turning a blind eye. The University clobbered her for it, other liberals clobbered her for it, every liberal who has posted here (so far just me and Dat) think it was completely and totally inappropriate (and I think her continued responses were completely ass-holish). I am sure we will have some who defend her simply because they are on her "team" but it seems that the response is nearly universally negative.

Oh, okay, I'm curious; how did you do that? Just looks like a smoking cool face on my screen, but quotes as more? Fill me in, Einstein of Whoopee Hill.

I agree with all of the above. The way people use politics for every argument has led a bunch of people down an ignorant and hateful path. People sling so much sh*t that the actual subject of the discussion will be lost before any meaningful dialogue can take place. Its more important to degrade the opposition than it is to work towards actual progress.

Wait, seriously... Bert's response was this:

SmokinSmile

And I quoted it and it showed up as above. I went back, I refreshed, I read it again, and it was STILL SmokinSmile

But then a few minutes later, it became that genius quote.

What the hell?

This. EXACTLY this. Folks are literally taking a woman who, I would wager, is as far to the left as possible as you can be, and on top of that a woman who has a personal connection to the Middle East, and on TOP of that seems to enjoy controversy and saying crazy things, and then making it all about liberals and progressives, and how California is terrible, and professors and educators are terrible, and so on and so forth. My bet is not a single liberal or educator I know would support what she said (although they could discuss where it comes from without getting too worked up).
But her far leftness is a trend in today's progressive world. Are you denying that?

And her connections to the Middle East do not give her any more credibility than you or I. If anything, she loses credibility by being completely uneducated on the Middle East.

The fact that she enjoys controversy and says ridiculously crazy things all while having racist views of white people, suggests that perhaps she shouldn't be a professor.

This is not an isolated example of a progressive educator being whacked out. It is a trend that is a real threat to our education system.

I am glad that you and @Dattier can take the time to acknowledge that this woman is a POS. But it would be great if you would also acknowledge that it is more than just one or two liberal professors who have these opinions.

I agree with all of the above. The way people use politics for every argument has led a bunch of people down an ignorant and hateful path. People sling so much sh*t that the actual subject of the discussion will be lost before any meaningful dialogue can take place. Its more important to degrade the opposition than it is to work towards actual progress.
And I guess I can be guilty of it. But at least I am not in a position where people look to me for knowledge and wisdom. Haha

Reactions: toonces11
But her far leftness is a trend in today's progressive world. Are you denying that?

And her connections to the Middle East do not give her any more credibility than you or I. If anything, she loses credibility by being completely uneducated on the Middle East.

The fact that she enjoys controversy and says ridiculously crazy things all while having racist views of white people, suggests that perhaps she shouldn't be a professor.

This is not an isolated example of a progressive educator being whacked out. It is a trend that is a real threat to our education system.

I am glad that you and @Dattier can take the time to acknowledge that this woman is a POS. But it would be great if you would also acknowledge that it is more than just one or two liberal professors who have these opinions.

A few thoughts.

First no, I don't think her far leftness is a trend among progressives. I literally don't know anyone who would actually have posted what she posted, and carried on like she posted. It seems like it is a lot more about her being an asshole than about her being a leftie.

Second, sure, it is more than one or two. But I also think is certainly a TINY minority of college professors. I ABSOLUTELY do not think it is a threat to our education system. I think what happens is that when one wacko does this, the media (and particularly the right wing media and associated social media) absolutely POUNCES on it... so if six wackos a year do something like this, it suddenly looks a LOT more common than it truly is (.00035% of college professors) and is NOT representative of the roughly 1.5 million college professors in the country.

Her middle eastern descent is important to me because I don't know what her life experiences are. Does she have family friends, or even family, who died in the wars in Iraq or Kuwait? If so, that will REALLY twist how she sees it. Did she have family in either of those places during the war (assuming that what someone posted about her being of Kuwaiti decent is true)? Personal experiences, especially BAD ones, can go a LONG way towards messing people up, and judging by her pretty messed up response, I'm going to guess she has a LOT more personal connection, like truly personal connection, to that region and those wars than any of us. Not saying it EXCUSES her way of expressing herself, but it might explain where it is coming from.

Maybe she shouldn't be a professor. (I didn't catch racist stuff? What was that about?) I don't know anything about her except a twitter rant. From what little I've seen she seems pretty well respected, in terms of being a professor. I have basically no information about her to judge that, although I DO think she is likely a confrontational dickhead (and was hopefully drunk).

Reactions: Dattier
ADVERTISEMENT