ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is It Racist?

I know in america we stand for the rights of all, but does it seem like we are having the biggest uproars over issues that effect the minority of the minority. If you read the news---the things that are talked about nationally seem pretty small scale compared to some of the things it seems like should get the lions share of the attention.

I honestly know very little about the guy. Just thought it was extremely ignorant that a bunch of liberal journalists would harass someone who was minding their own business just because his views are different than theirs. Then I found out that this guy was a Jewish homosexual and they were calling him a nazi.
No, not "just because." Certain people have crossed the line in their response to him, but don't pretend it's "just because his views are different."

Here's a quote:
"This is one reason I hate the left. This stupid one size fits all policing of culture... This sort of arbitrary and oppressive idea of consent, which totally destroys you know understanding that many of us have. The complexities and subtleties and complicated nature of many relationships. You know, people are messy and complex. In the homosexual world particularly. Some of those relationships between younger boys and older men, the sort of coming of age relationships, the relationships in which those older men help those young boys to discover who they are, and give them security and safety and provide them with love and a reliable and sort of a rock where they can’t speak to their parents. Some of those relationships are the most -”
(Someone interrupts w/ a comment, then Milo resumes...)
"And you know what, I’m grateful for Father Michael. I wouldn’t give nearly such good head if it wasn’t for him.”

I'd like to think you would join me in categorizing that a bit less generously than "just different."

I know in america we stand for the rights of all, but does it seem like we are having the biggest uproars over issues that effect the minority of the minority.
That's as it should be. Majorities or/and empowered groups don't require uproar to ensure their rights are respected.

No, not "just because." Certain people have crossed the line in their response to him, but don't pretend it's "just because his views are different."

Here's a quote:
"This is one reason I hate the left. This stupid one size fits all policing of culture... This sort of arbitrary and oppressive idea of consent, which totally destroys you know understanding that many of us have. The complexities and subtleties and complicated nature of many relationships. You know, people are messy and complex. In the homosexual world particularly. Some of those relationships between younger boys and older men, the sort of coming of age relationships, the relationships in which those older men help those young boys to discover who they are, and give them security and safety and provide them with love and a reliable and sort of a rock where they can’t speak to their parents. Some of those relationships are the most -”
(Someone interrupts w/ a comment, then Milo resumes...)
"And you know what, I’m grateful for Father Michael. I wouldn’t give nearly such good head if it wasn’t for him.”

I'd like to think you would join me in categorizing that a bit less generously than "just different."
I certainly don't share his views. But he was minding his own business. Time and a place to hold people accountable for their words. Now, I can see some justice in treating someone like that for their actions.

And that quote is disgusting. He may be a POS, but he still should have a right to enjoy the same freedoms as the next guy.

I certainly don't share his views. But he was minding his own business. Time and a place to hold people accountable for their words. Now, I can see some justice in treating someone like that for their actions.

And that quote is disgusting. He may be a POS, but he still should have a right to enjoy the same freedoms as the next guy.
If he's putting his views out in public, it's not really minding his own business. And words sometimes -- repeat, sometimes -- double as actions. That's why threats, inciting riots, slander, and libel are all illegal. Hate speech can intimidate and create a hostile environment for some.

His rights are just as important as anyone else's, and protecting his rights may require more attention and effort, as it should. Where he has been threatened, the other person's wrong overshadows his disgusting views.

I'm really torn on whether he has a right to a specific forum for expressing those views. It is certainly a valid stance that public institutions cannot forbid him from speaking there. Educational institutions have been granted leeway consistently from SCOTUS for restricting speech that interferes with their purpose, so I also think it's a valid stance that they draw the line at inviting someone who will bring hostility toward their students with him.

ADVERTISEMENT