ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is It Racist?

I am glad that you and @Dattier can take the time to acknowledge that this woman is a POS. But it would be great if you would also acknowledge that it is more than just one or two liberal professors who have these opinions.
Sure, it's more than just her, but I doubt we're going to agree on even a ballpark number or %.

But her far leftness is a trend in today's progressive world. Are you denying that?

And her connections to the Middle East do not give her any more credibility than you or I. If anything, she loses credibility by being completely uneducated on the Middle East.

The fact that she enjoys controversy and says ridiculously crazy things all while having racist views of white people, suggests that perhaps she shouldn't be a professor.

This is not an isolated example of a progressive educator being whacked out. It is a trend that is a real threat to our education system.
I see some truth in this, but I can't agree w/o qualification...

Progressive politics have always been somewhere left of center, haven't they? How far left they are at any point in time probably depends on perspective. I would say regressive politics are at the high point of my lifetime spanning 9 Presidents, and counterbalancing that trends further left than, say, 2014, when President Obama at least seemed more amenable to progressive stances.

Her ME connections may explain why she is emotional about it, but it doesn't excuse the harm she does to others as a result. Provided it doesn't affect others, we could all do a better job of accommodating such emotions.

Academically, I prefer "racial prejudice" to "racism" in this instance, but it's unacceptable either way. I don't begrudge educators' being provocative, either, as challenging people intellectually is a legitimate part of the job. There's a line, though, and she's crossed it. If any worthwhile dialogue results from this, it's in spite of her, not because of her. Her statements have been unprofessional, indecent, irresponsible, and malicious.

I think the real threat to our education system is buying into the threat you stated. She's not alone, but educators like her don't jeopardize the system anywhere near as badly as bailing on the system does. Public school is under attack b/c people will profit from privatization, because people are threatened by ideas that challenge their views in the course of increasing their knowledge, and because people want more personal control of something that should be communal.

And I guess I can be guilty of it. But at least I am not in a position where people look to me for knowledge and wisdom. Haha
I certainly am as well. Its pretty hard to remain calm when faced with an idiot. And I do believe some of it comes with the territory, but those who cannot step back from it and see all angles become a bigger problem than the original disagreement in the first place.

Sure, it's more than just her, but I doubt we're going to agree on even a ballpark number or %.

I see some truth in this, but I can't agree w/o qualification...

Progressive politics have always been somewhere left of center, haven't they? How far left they are at any point in time probably depends on perspective. I would say regressive politics are at the high point of my lifetime spanning 9 Presidents, and counterbalancing that trends further left than, say, 2014, when President Obama at least seemed more amenable to progressive stances.

Her ME connections may explain why she is emotional about it, but it doesn't excuse the harm she does to others as a result. Provided it doesn't affect others, we could all do a better job of accommodating such emotions.

Academically, I prefer "racial prejudice" to "racism" in this instance, but it's unacceptable either way. I don't begrudge educators' being provocative, either, as challenging people intellectually is a legitimate part of the job. There's a line, though, and she's crossed it. If any worthwhile dialogue results from this, it's in spite of her, not because of her. Her statements have been unprofessional, indecent, irresponsible, and malicious.

I think the real threat to our education system is buying into the threat you stated. She's not alone, but educators like her don't jeopardize the system anywhere near as badly as bailing on the system does. Public school is under attack b/c people will profit from privatization, because people are threatened by ideas that challenge their views in the course of increasing their knowledge, and because people want more personal control of something that should be communal.
I won't lie Datt. There was a time where I didn't bother reading your responses more than ten or so words in. And even though we are still on different sides of the aisle, I find myself appreciating your POV lately.

Now excuse me while I go wash the gay off.

I won't lie Datt. There was a time where I didn't bother reading your responses more than ten or so words in. And even though we are still on different sides of the aisle, I find myself appreciating your POV lately.

I agree. While I don't agree with his point of view on things, he's been very cordial with his responses which I appreciate.

While I find that Dat enjoys "the fight" too much, I also think he is often more reasonable than people instinctively think he WILL be, if that makes sense.

While I find that Dat enjoys "the fight" too much, I also think he is often more reasonable than people instinctively think he WILL be, if that makes sense.
No I don't.

I won't lie. I recently unignored you b/c I was tired of over-riding it, then liking your posts (a couple, anyway).

Reactions: SNU0821
Just when you thought she couldn't go any lower, she finds a way! How someone could earn tenure with these kind of views is absurd.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/2959...102516-podcast&utm_campaign=beingconservative

I hope she is never allowed to teach anyone anything.
Seriously guys, I think we’re being a little too hard on her. Have you seen her pictures? She’s a disgusting, fat pig. I’d be pissed at the world too if I looked like her. Actually, I probably would have put myself out of my own misery if I looked like her....

The polka dots look nice on her.

randa_jarrar.jpg

Criticizing her for her physical appearance feeds the narrative that she's the victim here. That lets her off the hook for her deplorable statements.

Criticizing her for her physical appearance feeds the narrative that she's the victim here. That lets her off the hook for her deplorable statements.
She is in no way a victim here. Calling her fat because she's brought attention to herself is no ones fault but her own.

In general I would agree.....and probably shouldn't have said something. The lack of discipline it takes to get to that level of health is almost unimaginable. She obviously needs help in a lot of areas.

She is in no way a victim here. Calling her fat because she's brought attention to herself is no ones fault but her own.
Calling attention to yourself for one thing doesn't justify unrelated attention.

She shouldn't be a victim, but you leave the opening for that narrative when you get off topic. It's just like the criminal being arrested becomes the victim if police use excessive force.

Take personal responsibility for your own words.

Reactions: I am stupid
Calling attention to yourself for one thing doesn't justify unrelated attention.

She shouldn't be a victim, but you leave the opening for that narrative when you get off topic. It's just like the criminal being arrested becomes the victim if police use excessive force.

Take personal responsibility for your own words.
I probably should have been the better person and not comment on her looks. But she's clearly demonstrated that she's a terrible person so I don't feel the least bit bad about calling her a fat disgusting c*nt.

I probably should have been the better person and not comment on her looks. But she's clearly demonstrated that she's a terrible person so I don't feel the least bit bad about calling her a fat disgusting c*nt.
God, I would pay to have you face off with her in a debate on national television over this matter. That last comment would have made the entire audience look at the person next to them with raised eyebrows----and then say to each other "well, he's not really wrong" with shrugged shoulders.

To say a black person is "Out of their cotton picking mind"?

All I know it from is Looney Tunes as a kid. Heard it occasionally when I was little from older folks in rural Eastern NC where they grew cotton crops.

Don't think the announcer should apologize either , especially publicly. If he wants to do it face to face with Westbrook that is his and Westbrook's business. He should say nothing more than I won't use it anymore since it hurts peoples feelings and leave it at that.
I have watched bugs bunny road runner show all the time and i have never heard that once. That black person is out of their cotton picking mind. Come on! I have never heard of that. I say you LIE and trying to start something that is not there. I watched Looney tones and have never heard that the black person is out of their cotton picking mind. NOPE! I think you lie.

I have watched bugs bunny road runner show all the time and i have never heard that once. That black person is out of their cotton picking mind. Come on! I have never heard of that. I say you LIE and trying to start something that is not there. I watched Looney tones and have never heard that the black person is out of their cotton picking mind. NOPE! I think you lie.
8tZcBRU.gif

Reactions: npreston
Google the phrase "Wait a cotton pickin' minute" , "You're out of your cotton pickin mind" with Bugs Bunny/Looney Toons. Stuff all over google about it. Thanks for playing!

Looks like you were arguing over nothing b/c you are watching two different shows!!!!

the poster that said something about happy cows just insulted them
that woman is bigger than a hippo disclaimer this not to insult the hippo in anyway, shape or form.

What about calling a Jewish homosexual a nazi? That's pretty ignorant, right?
Loved that. The hate Milo gets is astounding. Really shows how “tolerant” the left really is...
They are tolerant as long as you agree with them
Let's not pretend Milo Yiannopoulos is the best litmus test for tolerance. He's not tolerant himself, and that's what he gets flak for. Intolerance of intolerance is not the same as the original intolerance.

Where people lose their composure and all control in criticizing him, they look foolish, but again, let's not pretend that isn't exactly what he's going for.

The word "Nazi" is most often thrown around figuratively, but the irony of directing it at a gay Jewish person should be enough to stop people short of going that route.

Let's not pretend Milo Yiannopoulos is the best litmus test for tolerance. He's not tolerant himself, and that's what he gets flak for. Intolerance of intolerance is not the same as the original intolerance.

Where people lose their composure and all control in criticizing him, they look foolish, but again, let's not pretend that isn't exactly what he's going for.

The word "Nazi" is most often thrown around figuratively, but the irony of directing it at a gay Jewish person should be enough to stop people short of going that route.
I honestly know very little about the guy. Just thought it was extremely ignorant that a bunch of liberal journalists would harass someone who was minding their own business just because his views are different than theirs. Then I found out that this guy was a Jewish homosexual and they were calling him a nazi.

ADVERTISEMENT